• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow. Short game is short. People weren't kidding about the six hours thing. And that's on Realistic. I could probably blow through it within three hours on Easy, then. :/

Subtitles were still fast, but I caught most of them (and having to retry a few checkpoints I caught most of the conversations), annoying. :|

Realistic is the way to play the game, IMO. But even then it devolves into "be seen, get shot once or twice, get into cover and wait a minute to health regen. Blow the shit out of enemies instead of sneaking past."

This isn't a Splinter Cell game, IMO. This is an action game starring Sam Fisher and
Rezzing Sarah for a plot point of Meggido for Splinter Cell 6, While Killing Lambert in Splinter Cell 4
. :|

Mark and Execute is used WAAAAY too much. Even on realistic you can basically have a dude spot you, move around your last known position/cover point and take him out after marking four dudes with the Five-Nine and execute them in the process. *yawn*

The only true stealth section is
Third Echelon infiltration in the parking garage
and even that falls into "kill/ko (while shooting them in the head)" guards from afar and nearly none of them will go into alert. :|

God, this game: The story is passable but the gameplay makes the old Splinter Cell fan in me cry.

So glad I rented the game for the singleplayer. Guess I'll wait until it's about $20 (I still need to pick up Double Agent 360 to try the daytime missions) in a year for the co-op story. :|

Net_Wrecker said:
Basically I want more of the old Splinter Cell back. I appreciate what they did with this one,

Basically what you said, however while I can appreciate the story I can't appreciate the gameplay as mark and execute is an "I win" button. Take that shit out and have me have to sneak around dudes or shoot them MY GODDAMN SELF instead of just sonar (BTW, nice, but I still prefer night vision and heat) goggle, mark mark mark mark, bash door with one non-marked dude near it. EXECUTE. Move through to the next room to do the same thing. :/

And the realistic glitch hit me so now I have to redo the last two levels again. Instead of trying to sneak past all of them (and just killing them once one of them somehow finds me in the dark/black-white), I'll just rambo it. Fuck it, it's what Max apparently wants Sam to do because "SAM DOESN'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT SHOOTING RANDOM GUARDS ON AMERICAN SOIL
FOR HIS DAUGHTER
LOL"

Oh, yeah, and the split ending isn't really that split. :/ Meh.

kuYuri

^ Or you could just not hit the Y button if you think it's that overpowered.

Najaf said:
What is the shortest Hunter level? I have been trying for the non-detected achievement and am having some sour luck.

It's hard to tell, but I eventually got it after doing the first one enough (St. Petersburg, Banya). It's really all about knowing the layout of the map and where the enemy is likely to be.

Just wanted to give my impressions of this game

I first played through the story on normal difficulty, and I wasn't really digging it until late in the game when it started to feel more like the old Splinter Cells. But just when it started to get really good, it ended.

Next I played the co-op campaign with a friend on realistic, and I had a lot more fun. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it is one of the best co-op experiences I've had in quite some time. We ended up playing through the entire campaign in one sitting, and 7 hours later I could have kept playing...but unfortunately all good things have to end.

I'm now playing through the single player again, this time on realistic. Playing on realistic is definitely the way to go, as this time I am enjoying the single player much more.

There are a few issues I have with the game, but my biggest one is simply that there isn't enough content. As a HUGE fan of the Spies VS Merc mode, its omission is glaring (although there is no way it could work with M&E and Last Known Position), and the campaigns are short. I still have to try out the other multiplayer modes, so hopefully they will extend the life of the game a bit more.

I finished it on Normal the other night and i'm thinking about replaying on Realistic, is the only difference how quick you die?

I played the demo on easy when it first came out then tried normal then realistic and besides dieing faster the enemies seemed to react more aggressively faster to noises and things like shooting lights. Same now or different?

skyfinch

DualShadow said:
I finished it on Normal the other night and i'm thinking about replaying on Realistic, is the only difference how quick you die?

I played the demo on easy when it first came out then tried normal then realistic and besides dieing faster the enemies seemed to react more aggressively faster to noises and things like shooting lights. Same now or different?

I didn't see much difference. I beat the game on rookie the first time around, then went for a second run through on realistic and finished the game even quicker and with less tries.

I just think you can't take as much damage, and when you do, it takes a lot longer to recover.

Zaphyr

Neo Member
I didn't finish the game as fast as some people in here, but then I hardly used Mark & Execute. I used a more 'hands-on' aproach and had a lot of fun doing so. Probably I'm going to replay it with the 360 controller, because I already was far in with mouse/keyboard when I applied the fix and didn't want to bother adapting to another controlscheme.

I must express my hate for some of the cutscenes not being skippable and then there's the lack of being able to whistle/throw cans. Come on, don't force this mark and execute thing on me.

Net_Wrecker said:
- Black and White thing has to go. It doesn't look good, and OFTEN makes you think a spot you're in, or going to is actually darker than it really is. Upon detection when everything is in color the room looks a hell of a lot brighter than it does in B+W. Give me back my light meter.

And God, this. I get fooled everytime.

kaskade

DualShadow said:

Also that warning thing that pops up goes down much faster. So you do have to stay out of view more.

kuYuri

Patch 1.02 is out for PC version. Patch notes:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7211014258/m/1201087958

- Added DLC support
- Fixed many disconnection and divergences issues in coop modes.
- Added Multi-GPU support for SLI/Crossfire (remaining issues on ATI side)
- Added ATI Eyefinity support (we are waiting on a validation by AMD for theEyefinity Ready official stamp)
- Some configuration specific divergences fixes, crashs et minor bugs
- Graphic glitches when running in low visual quality:
- Improve performances and some flickering issues.
- Low-end video card optimizations.
- Fixed Microsoft Wireless X360 controller not being detected properly with some drivers.
- Fixed interaction buttons overlapping in certain resolutions/aspect ratios.
- GTX400 Nvidia video card support (removed the error message)
- Various minor fixes

SlaughterX said:
Where is the comic supposed to be in the CE version of this game? I just got my copy in the mail and I don't see it anywhere...

I think its a digital comic. It's included in the CE content files that I posted above.

kuYuri

The Elite Suit that went up today looks pretty cool.

21b5gef.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Strider2K99 said:
^ Or you could just not hit the Y button if you think it's that overpowered

However, you're forced to use it in
The ending of Third Echelon and the White House
. So Max/Ubi basically want you to Oooh-ahhh at how Sam is able to easily maximize kills.

Even if you don't abuse it, you can abuse how the AI WILL come up to your last known position (sometimes one by one) and hand-to-hand them. It's sad.

In fact, replaying the last two levels yesterday instead of taking me an hour just sneaking and mark-executing, I actually went full on Rambo: Shoot a dude in the head with the SC-3000 suppresed.

Guards go on alert. I flank one. Hand-to-hand, M&E the rest. Blow throw an area all in five minutes. It took me about ~30 mins to do the last two sections using that + sticky camera + explosive/motion mines at points where groups of enemies (notable:
the run up to getting into the white house
) were. Sad. :/

Oh, yeah, and they don't even give you the option to turn off mark and execute. So you can mark enemies on sonar to see their positions/movements before going in. Accidentally (had this happen twice in the game too used to having Y be the switch weapons in games) execute them when you didn't want to. *shrug*

Mark and Execute is by far the worst blunder in the game. Using it in co-op, however: Decent. But the game doesn't force "dual executions" on you. If your partner doesn't help. *shrug* You get another mark and execute (At least it was like this for the short co-op level I played. I never used Mark and Execute and my partner was able to just keep using it), mark the dudes remaining: bang-bang and move into the next room.

Strider2K99 said:
The Elite Suit that went up today looks pretty cool.

21b5gef.jpg

Love the suit. Not going to complain about a free download, but I kind of wish this had camo available for it.

I certainly like it more than the 3E Eclipse or whatever their outfits in the co-op story are called.

Gooster said:
Love the suit. Not going to complain about a free download, but I kind of wish this had camo available for it.

I certainly like it more than the 3E Eclipse or whatever their outfits in the co-op story are called.
Yeah. It's cool but it's a bummer that there's no camo and that none of the upgrades change the appearance. Oh well, can't argue with free.

Saiyu

I'm trying to go through it on realistic with as little M&E as possible but it's still....boring. I'm playing for playing sake (a la FFXIII) and with each level I miss the old gameplay and mourn the loss of SvM even more.

I'll agree the formula needed a change but I don't like this direction.

tzare

which mission would be the best to earn the achievement not to shoot even once. BTW, when doing stealth kills, sometimes Sam shoots, instead of breaking the neck or just punch them. Does that count if i want to get that achievement?

tzare said:
which mission would be the best to earn the achievement not to shoot even once. BTW, when doing stealth kills, sometimes Sam shoots, instead of breaking the neck or just punch them. Does that count if i want to get that achievement?

Deniable Ops, first map, Rookie mode. I'm certain almost all of the achievements, excluding the story-based ones of course, can be unlocked via Deniable Ops. Same goes for the P.E.C. challenges.

Edit: Forgot about PEC challenges.

tzare

Gooster said:
Deniable Ops, first map, Rookie mode. I'm certain almost all of the achievements, excluding the story-based ones of course, can be unlocked via Deniable Ops.
i thought it had to be from SP campaign. Because Deniable Ops Maps are quite long (St.Petesburg is 6 sections if i am not mistaken) so i guess it would be hard to kill everyone that way :D

about PEC challenges, i have yet to find a place that is 10 meters high to throw a guard :D

tzare said:

To be sure just put your weapon away.

In my opinion, this game f**king sucked compared to pretty much all previous Splinter Cell Games.

-can't hide bodies
-unlimited ammo
-weapon stashes
-terrible crouch/roll animation

Those first 3 put me off. I think Splinter Cell series is dead to me. This game feels like it was made on some sort of ultimatum after several disappoinitng attemps to convince Ubisoft, either create a decent game or you are fired.

DrBo42

tzare said:

Shooting as part of the melee animation does NOT count against your achievement.

Najaf

tzare said:

Lincoln Memorial. At the coffee shop,
just go to the railing where you get picked up and take cover there. They never check the road there.

Gahhhh, finally got Perfect Hunter. That was a pain, and mostly due to the loading times. If the game loaded instantly (which it should, this isn't a free roaming game) then I would been less annoyed, but the 2 minutes it took to quit, and reenter a Hunter map was almost unbearable. Finally got it on the first map, and I was pissing myself in the final Zone. I almost got caught so many times.

EekTheKat

Q8D3vil said:
i'm gonna receive the game tomorrow ( pc version ) but i have a question.
sli work ?!

With Patch 1.02 it does in fact work, and my x360 wireless control issues seems to have gone away. Though by now I'm actually more used to the keyboard + mouse.

Steam patch went out yesterday morning I think, least from all indication Conviction was updated yesterday.

You're going to have to manually create a profile for the game though (.exe was something like conviction_game.exe) and set it to AFR2. I didn't use nHancer so I just used the control panel to do it, and it does seem to give quite a performance boost over 1.00.

With 2x470gtx's deniable ops is ridiculously smooth now at native res 2560x1440 .

skyfinch

Net_Wrecker said:
Gahhhh, finally got Perfect Hunter. That was a pain, and mostly due to the loading times. If the game loaded instantly (which it should, this isn't a free roaming game) then I would been less annoyed, but the 2 minutes it took to quit, and reenter a Hunter map was almost unbearable. Finally got it on the first map, and I was pissing myself in the final Zone. I almost got caught so many times.

I hear ya. Exact same thing with me. Took about 20 tries, and nearly quit because of the loading time.

Anyways, finally completed all of the P.E.C challenged last night. My favorite Splinter Cell in the series. Next stop....Alan Wake.

tzare

Net_Wrecker said:

i also got it a few minutes ago :D Same first map. it helped that i first was confused and beat that same map in infiltration without retrying instead of hunter, which is more difficult due to cameras and laser beams.

Lincoln Memorial. At the coffee shop
thanks, i'll try that :)

I recently completed campaign and I agree...granted it was a good (sometimes awesome) experience, it definitely isn't splinter cell. Sure, it was in need of a rework but why not expand on the foundation (core mechanics) instead of almost completely abandoning what made splinter cell...splinter cell. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it but it was far from memorable. And holy shit, that Iraq "level" almost made me return it. Terrible, terrible design choice...the gunplay (IMO) isn't one of Conviction's finer points.

Dilly

Banned
The way the game shows you when you are hidden is just terrible.

In the previous installments, you had a actionmenu with different options, now it just switches when you move your camera. I always end up hopping over an object instead of taking cover behind it.

I really don't like this new direction.

Jesus Christ. What the fuck. What in the Hell of what?!

WHAT

DID VIC SERIOUSLY JUST SAY
"Didn't think they'd have air support over the White House"
?!

REALLY?! REALLY?!

Everything after the "Third Echelon HQ" level has just made me feel tired and sad. What happened to Splinter Cell?

Zenith

Banned
So is there a way to disable the stupid black and white fade in the PC version? I noticed some lines in the config referring to permeating light and rate of fade.

Finished the story mode earlier today... so much awesomeness. For the most part, it's excellent stuff, great story, great protagonist, fantastic soundtrack. Too bad it wasn't a little longer, but I didn't really feel short-changed in that regard. I haven't tried the co-op campaign yet, but I will when I have a buddy or cousin over who has time to go through that. The gameplay, I mostly liked it. Very different from previous SC games, but I didn't mind too much. It was very fun. Though I do hope that in the next SC game, they take the best bits from previous games and this game and put it together. I loved the aggressive stealth approach. A lot of people say that mark and execute makes things too easy, but I didn't really use it too often until the final four missions, when it become fairly crucial for me. Maybe in the next game they can re-tool the game so that people who love the play-style of the earlier games can play it their way, and those who loved this one can play it this way, and mix it up a bit.

There were some great parts in this game that I absolutely loved... and I few that made me go WTF?

The awesome bits:

Sam Fisher is an awesome character. All that needs to be said.

The Third Echelon mission. When the 'Welcome Home' message was projected on the screen, I thought that was great. Plus the final sequence, finding out the truth about why Sarah was alive and what Lambert did, plus the destruction of Third Echelon. Pretty awesome. Love the music that plays during that scene. I thought they handled the plot twists pretty well in the game. The Lincoln Memorial mission was really cool too. Though in the Third Echelon mission, I didn't realize that Mark and Execute automatically appeared on their heads. The second it started falling apart, I just booked it as fast as I could. Took me a couple of tries to rush without getting killed.

The streets of DC after the pulse went off. Very dramatic stuff, handled pretty well.

The presentation style of the game is great. Very gritty, and the awesome projected text is a great touch. I hope they keep that for the next game, I really dig it.

I hope we continue to stay in Sam's head, so to speak. I find that more interesting.

The final sequence was awesome. Who spared Reed and who blew him away? I beat him until I couldn't, then I shot him in the face.

The conversation during the credits.

Michael Ironside, man. Michael Ironside.

Shooting the VP in the kneecaps. Stabbing a dude with an American flag. Lambert's back... sorta. Sam assaulting the base at the end. Third Echelon flashbanging and jumping in from the roof. Those bits were awesome, and taking them out like that made me really feel like this was just a brilliant action film.

Bits that I didn't like so much:

Tom Reed isn't a particularly interesting villain... but this Meggido thing might make for an interesting villain in the next game. Killing him rocked though.

Didn't the previous games have good dialogue when taking someone hostage? I missed that. I hope they bring that back in the next game. The guards in this game are fucking retarded. Who the hell talks like that? Like, brain-dead jocks and shit.

The VP was an idiot... who the hell says they're bulletproof to Sam Fisher while he's holding a gun to their head?

Enemy chokepoints were frustrating at times, particularly at the end.

But still, in the end, the game was great. Deniable Ops was really cool as well, I played that a little.

I've never had a game that I WANT to replay and experiment with fight with me so much. Between the loading, and unskipable cutscenes/sequences, I'm having a hard time having fun replaying this on realistic. There's no way that they couldn't figure out that watching a conversation for the 3rd time is extremely boring. I don't understand why I'm not able to skip these sequences.

Gave this a rent. I'm at the end of chapter 6 on normal. By far my favorite Splinter Cell game cause I'm not a fan of stealth and prefer action. I just wish shooting wasn't so clunky. Why can't I aim and move? Why can't I flip the over the shoulder camera while aiming? Where's a roll maneuver?

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Gave this a rent. I'm at the end of chapter 6 on normal. By far my favorite Splinter Cell game cause I'm not a fan of stealth and prefer action. I just wish shooting wasn't so clunky. Why can't I aim and move? Why can't I flip the over the shoulder camera while aiming? Where's a roll maneuver?

You can aim and move... I did that all the time. And you tap LT while crouch walking to roll, and tap LT while running to slide. You can't flip the camera though, at least I wasn't able to.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
But not to the extent of something like Uncharted or Gears. As soon as you move, the camera zooms out.

Ah, I see what you mean, well it didn't bug me that much.

Regarding the co-op campaign,
I didn't play through it, but I accidentally spoiled myself on what happens... that ending sounds pretty tragic. Any chance that Ubi might retcon that and bring the duo of Archer and Kestrel back?

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
But not to the extent of something like Uncharted or Gears. As soon as you move, the camera zooms out.

You DO realize that this is a STEALTH-action game right? This isn't a straight up Gears style shooter. There's a reason why it doesn't feel like a traditional 3rd person shooter, and why there isn't an evasive roll.

Net_Wrecker said:
You DO realize that this is a STEALTH-action game right? This isn't a straight up Gears style shooter. There's a reason why it doesn't feel like a traditional 3rd person shooter, and why there isn't an evasive roll.

But there is an evasive roll...

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
But there is an evasive roll...

That's not evasive in the same way that Gears, and Uncharted have a real evasive roll used to jump out of the way when under fire. The roll in Splinter Cell is just to move a bit faster while crouch-walking.

IZZO

Neo Member
Anybody else has framerate issues in the PC version?
I get an average of about 15 fps and it dipped to 7 in the Iraq mission.
I have a Q6700 2.67 GHz and a 9800 GT

lowering and raising the display settings doesn't affect the frame rate much.

Finished it. I didn't really like the second half of the game at all. I just felt like I was dying until I knew where to throw the remote mines. That said, it's still my favorite SC. 7/10

I started this today and I'm about halfway through after rougly 3 hours. :lol So far it's enjoyable but after the awesome demo at E3 last year I was expecting more. The shooting mechanics don't feel quite right and there's not enough stealth abilities for me to be encouraged to do anything but pick off one guy with a melee attack and then use Mark and Execute. The AI is so predictable that it's a simple case of hiding in an easy spot or being seen and luring them to my last position which they fire on for about twenty million hours.

Eh that's a negative paragraph, which I didn't intend, but I suppose after so many years my expectations were much higher. I had hoped that the long cycle would result in an extremely polished game but that's not the case. I'm constantly waiting for something to blow me away, rather than merely keep me entertained.

With that said, I've just completed the
chase sequence with the assassin
and that's one of the more exciting things I've done in a game this year. Really good sequence - I hope there's more like it before the end.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Finished story mode and co-op. The latter = NOM NOM NOM MOAR UBI NAO, basically. I had so much fun being a pair of badass sneaky mofos. I wish there'd be more of it. SCC's co-op is among the best I've seen. Puts a lot of other triple A games to shame, really.

I hope for the next game they put in more incognito civilian missions, out in public, as well as some daylight missions. I find those as interesting as the "true" stealth missions,
stuff like the Lincoln Memorial

I wonder if any future SC games would have a protagonist other than Sam as the lead protagonist.

Question: Why exactly did they get rid of the initial 'Hobo Sam in Public' design? I admit that the way he looked was amusing, but some of the stuff that would've been part of the game sounded interesting, like using the environment, blending in. Though that essentially became Assassin's Creed, I guess.

jett

D-Member
Is it possible to play the PC version with a non-xbox 360 controller? I've tried xpadder and some xinput thingy but they don't work. Playing with the keyb/m is awful for this game. :|

Top Bottom