• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Conviction |OT| The Rebourne Panther

-viper-

Banned
jett said:
oh man just got to the iraq level :lol this is a disaster of a port, why does this run worse than crysis?
yeah the framerate is TERRIBLE.

The Iraq level is also really, really crap. Such a shitty mission.

Karram

jett said:
oh man just got to the iraq level :lol this is a disaster of a port, why does this run worse than crysis?
For me the level was hilarious. Since I understand Arabic Listening to what enemies say is hilarious. Every single line they said was terrible.

jett

D-Member
burgerdog said:
That level look like ass, Che posted screenshots and I was laughing uncontrollably.

The whole game looks like ass. It should be running at 120fps no questions asked.

Net_Wrecker said:
WOW, free Deniable Ops map? Hopefully this means the inevitable paid DLC will be substantial.

hopefully they throw together another coop campaign and also allow the maps to be used in hunter/infiltration

I gave the new 3rd echelon map a quick play, its a solid addition to the deniable ops rotation

PS, Deniable Ops (specifically Hunter, and Infiltration) are by far the best parts of this game. The absolute closest to the Splinter Cell of old. I would pay $60 for a disc filled to the brim with Deniable ops maps, and 2 more co-op campaigns. Love it.

Hammer24 said:
Thx for the heads-up, got my code!

No problem. I just got my code, but im to busy playing skate 3 to check it out yet. Im pretty pumped though. That was my favorite level in the singleplayer, and all i pretty much play is deniable ops.

Q8D3vil

fuck this crappy shitty port.

my friend fps dropped to 10 fps in iraq level ( lowering graphics is not doing anything, cpu dependent game ) and when we tried co-op it was 14 fps most of the time. ( my friend pc is core2quad q660 2.66 and 9800 gt - my pc i7 3.6 and gtx 295 ).

fuck ubisoft and everyone who worked on this port.

IZZO

Neo Member
Q8D3vil said:

my friend fps dropped to 10 fps in iraq level ( lowering graphics is not doing anything, cpu dependent game ) and when we tried co-op it was 14 fps most of the time. ( my friend pc is core2quad q660 2.66 and 9800 gt - my pc i7 3.6 and gtx 295 ).

Dude I already complained a couple of pages ago :p

Concept17

Glad I stepped into this thread... was about to buy this on PC. Guess I'll hold off and hope for some kind of patch. (and a weekend sale)

Q8D3vil

Concept17 said:
Glad I stepped into this thread... was about to buy this on PC. Guess I'll hold off and hope for some kind of patch. (and a weekend sale)
90% sale may justify it
yeah, it's that bad

xMk2x

Banned
Question: When all of these free things are available for the game do I need to grab them on the given week they're put up or can I just log on whenever and have them all appear at once like gift cars do in Forza? I ask because, even though I bought the game at launch, I haven't touched the game in a few weeks and would hate to miss out on freebies if all it takes is for me to load the game once a week.

xMk2x said:
Question: When all of these free things are available for the game do I need to grab them on the given week they're put up or can I just log on whenever and have them all appear at once like gift cars do in Forza? I ask because, even though I bought the game at launch, I haven't touched the game in a few weeks and would hate to miss out on freebies if all it takes is for me to load the game once a week.
The previous free items will still be there, but I suggest you at least get a code for the 3rd Echelon map.

xMk2x

Banned
Supplementary question: How do I get a code? I am in Australia and have set up an account with US residency. This isn't working and I am about to try a proxy but if there's an easier way please let me know.

xMk2x said:
Supplementary question: How do I get a code? I am in Australia and have set up an account with US residency. This isn't working and I am about to try a proxy but if there's an easier way please let me know.
I'll send you a pm with the code.

Reckoner

Is there a way to get the old free DLC? I only have Conviction since Saturday and I've never thought they'd be offering new items for the game.

Just got my map code, but I want MOAR.

kuYuri

Reckoner said:
Is there a way to get the old free DLC? I only have Conviction since Saturday and I've never thought they'd be offering new items for the game.

Just got my map code, but I want MOAR.

It's all there on the Exclusive Content screen. Just unlock it.

I wonder if this whole 'dribble out a little DLC* once a week' thing is just to try to stop people from selling their copies back. If so I don't mind (other than having to go to Gamespot for that map).

*Unlock code

Haunted

After being pretty impressed with the streamlined gameplay in the first couple levels, my enthusiasm has quickly mellowed out in the following. There's still a bunch of good spy-i ideas, but the stealth/gadget/weapon balance and level design from the earlier games just isn't there. Don't even get me started on the story (which I feel has been pretty accurately summed up by that PA comic :lol ) and now I've stopped playing
in the Third Echelon building, because that bullshit invisible lasers/sonar goggles segment is not fun to play at all.

calder

Q8D3vil said:

Wow I was *thisclose* to buying this on Steam - had my CC literally in my hand - when I thought I'd check the GAF thread since I hadn't remembered any PC reviews and was leery of the DRM. Glad I did! :lol

Haunted said:
After being pretty impressed with the streamlined gameplay in the first couple levels, my enthusiasm has quickly mellowed out in the following. There's still a bunch of good spy-i ideas, but the stealth/gadget/weapon balance and level design from the earlier games just isn't there. Don't even get me started on the story (which I feel has been pretty accurately summed up by that PA comic :lol ) and now I've stopped playing
in the Third Echelon building, because that bullshit invisible lasers/sonar goggles segment is not fun to play at all.

The lasers? lol, it takes like a minute to get past those

Got my story complete on Realistic achievement. FINALLY. I'm never touching that campaign again though due to not being able to skip ALL the cutscenes. Oh well. Deniable Ops is still very fun though.

TripOpt55

I like the new map. It's pretty cool. I was thinking of going for all the achievments, but I don't really care for Last Stand too much. I am trying to get all the PEC Challenges done and I'm not a huge fan of some of these Vanish ones. They're kind of dumb I think.

I bought the 360 version when it came out because I hated the idea of the DRM and the wait for the PC version. Sounds like I made the right call. Sorry for you guys that are struggling with it on PC.

JesseZao

Well I just got around to finishing the story today. Overall it was pretty meh for me especially since I always had tons of gadgets and ammo towards the end. It just turned into one big action game funneling me through bad guys to the next trigger point. I liked the mark and execute addition as well as any infiltration stuff where you needed to be stealthy. My biggest gripes were the chatter of the AI, the AI itself (they are incredibly dumb and illogical), and the running into map barricades when I want to go over a reasonable ledge/low rail instead of walking around a car etc. I'm hoping for some fan service DLC missions, but I'm not holding my breath.

Just about to load up the deniable ops and then venture into the other co-op stuff, so hopefully I'll find the meat of the good gaming there.

Edit: Oh, and no picking up dead bodies = :(

Edit2: Just played through a round of Deniable Ops and it's sweet. Definately going to enjoy this and then the co-op.

Sectus

Strider2K99 said:
Apparently, this week's content is a new Deniable Ops map Third Echelon. However, the only current way that I know of to get it is to register or sign in to Gamespot to get the code to redeem.

http://uk.gamespot.com/event/codes/splintercellconviction-xbox/

Whether they will put it out for everyone else or not is unknown right now.
Still no announced way of other people of getting it? It's a bit stupid if this is exclusive to US and UK people who registered at gamespot.

Especially since this (and all the other unlockable content) was already completed when the game shipped and is even on the disc. Japanese copies of the game got the 3rd Echelon map unlocked right away.

Ceebs

calder said:
Wow I was *thisclose* to buying this on Steam - had my CC literally in my hand - when I thought I'd check the GAF thread since I hadn't remembered any PC reviews and was leery of the DRM. Glad I did! :lol
Other than the godawful DRM, the PC version runs just fine on my dual core rig. I had to update to the beta ATI drivers, but since then it's been smooth sailing.

UrbanRats

Strider2K99 said:
Apparently, this week's content is a new Deniable Ops map Third Echelon. However, the only current way that I know of to get it is to register or sign in to Gamespot to get the code to redeem.

http://uk.gamespot.com/event/codes/splintercellconviction-xbox/

Whether they will put it out for everyone else or not is unknown right now.
Only for UK and US? I'm getting tired of this shit.. for real.
I'm getting this with a proxy, but still.

TripOpt55 said:
I like the new map. It's pretty cool. I was thinking of going for all the achievments, but I don't really care for Last Stand too much. I am trying to get all the PEC Challenges done and I'm not a huge fan of some of these Vanish ones. They're kind of dumb I think.
Yeah a few vanish ones are all I have left and they're real picky about giving it to you.

Chrange

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Yeah a few vanish ones are all I have left and they're real picky about giving it to you.
You can grind out a lot of the Vanish challenges (along with weapon ones too) on the
lab level where you bust in on three guys in the room, right at the start. The room with a locked door and a pipe you can climb to get above the room's odd skylight.

Chrange said:
You can grind out a lot of the Vanish challenges (along with weapon ones too) on the
lab level where you bust in on three guys in the room, right at the start. The room with a locked door and a pipe you can climb to get above the room's odd skylight.
Ah yes, the 'challenge chamber'... I know it well from my 3x grenade and remote mine challenges. :D

I guess the key to the vanish challenges to hang on the pipe, let them see you and then scurry away?

vocab

Well just played 5 mins of the PC port, and I can say the PC port runs 10000 times better than GTAIV. Maxed out with 8xMSAA, and it's very smooth.

Chrange

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Ah yes, the 'challenge chamber'... I know it well from my 3x grenade and remote mine challenges. :D

I guess the key to the vanish challenges to hang on the pipe, let them see you and then scurry away?
I'd
bash the door, run in and trigger the emp or drop a flashbang or emp grenade, then go out and climb the pipe. You can do it over and over lol

skyfinch

What's this all about?

In the game menu it says "new 3rd Echelon level available if you go to heavy.com". So I go there, give them my e-mail and a couple days later, I get a code from them. Enter the code but it says the 3rd Echelon level is "coming soon" and won't all me to dl it. I don't have to wait a week or some bullshit like that, do I?

Q8D3vil

my co-op buddy overclocked his q6700 and now it run much better.

ialso found the best flags for sli ( no text flickering now )and it's running 60 fps most of the time ( no AO though ).

one of my friend brought his 360 version to compare it to pc version and man it was day and night.
even with the shitty port i don't regret getting it on pc ( bought the amazon uk special edition for £26 ).

Chrange said:
I'd
bash the door, run in and trigger the emp or drop a flashbang or emp grenade, then go out and climb the pipe. You can do it over and over lol
Oh nice, thanks! Here's to a speedy ban recovery.

I got around to finishing this today and I'm quite indifferent to the whole experience, really. There were a few really cool moments, a few horribly designed set pieces, and everything else in between was solid but nothing to shout about.

It was a fun few hours, but hardly the game I hoped it would be. Better than the other games in the series, at least, and hopefully it can be improved upon for the sequel.

OK the only PEC challenge I have left is liberating my partner from 5 more choke holds. Is there any way to reliably do this in splitscreen with two controllers? Seems like when I want my 2nd player to get in a choke hold, he either gets knocked back or wins the scuffle.

Joystiq reports 4 new deniable ops maps coming on May 27th for $10:

Source

The DLC announcement says that the Insurgency Pack will span four unique new settings: "from the docks of San Francisco to a New Orleans cemetery, a prison in Portland to a hidden research complex in Salt Lake City."

Awesome news. $10 seems very reasonable to me.

Top Bottom