• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Split/Second |OT|

jergrah

Picked this up at the Best Buy sale and am loving it. Took me a bit to get the drifting down....I was trying to drift the same way I did in Burnout and its slightly different here. My favorite mode thus far is the Big Rig mode when the barrels are falling all over, so intense and a ton of fun.

luffeN

cjelly said:
Car class doesn't matter that much when you learn how and when to use Power Plays.

well, it kinda does. started to play the ps3 version and went straight to online with the cobretti car that's unlocked form the beginning. there was one guy with online ranking 1 and every race, because of the better car, he was like 20 seconds ahead of me.

KevinCow

Banned
How's the split-screen in this game? Only two players is disappointing, but are all the options available, and does it have a steady framerate?

jergrah said:
Picked this up at the Best Buy sale and am loving it. Took me a bit to get the drifting down....I was trying to drift the same way I did in Burnout and its slightly different here. My favorite mode thus far is the Big Rig mode when the barrels are falling all over, so intense and a ton of fun.

Whoa! Thanks for the heads up! Bought!

KevinCow said:
How's the split-screen in this game? Only two players is disappointing, but are all the options available, and does it have a steady framerate?
Framerate is fine, there is a lot less detail in the textures though. You can also toggle horizontal and vertical.

DonMigs85

I got the game yesterday and love it, but the game is R1 and my PS3 is a HK/Singapore unit so O and X are swapped in the menus and the game doesn't account for this. I know it's pretty minor but it would be nice if the developers could patch it up.

crispyben

Dahbomb said:
Anyone got any tips for the Ryback Cyclone RS Detonation challenge at power plant? It's the only one I need to get all 1st.

Like for example at sharp turns am I supposed to lower my speed and make a cut or just do a drift turn. The car they give you is really shitty for a map with so many cuts, it goes out of control so easily making you lose precious seconds. I saw the youtube video and the guy does drift turns in a couple of cuts and just hugs the corners at a lower speed. I am surprised he was able to do that mission without hitting a wall once... and still he barely made it (like 60 microseconds short).
This video? I took his on-screen advice and just emulated his trajectories as well as I could. Do not hesitate to ease off the throttle in order to cut corners, and use the track's sides to your advantage to avoid drifting when exiting turns. It's far from being the hardest thing in the game :D

KevinCow

Banned
Holy shit this game has some of the most frustrating bullshit rubberbanding this side of Mario Kart... and it gives even that a run for its money.

For some bizarre reason this doesn't come out in NZ till the 11th, but having played the demo I'll definitely be picking it up.

How's the Xbox Live community looking?

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I absolutely HATE HATE HATE that I can't find my Best Buy receipt for this game.

I bought it for $60 launch week, now it's on sale for $40. I know it's nobody's fault but my own, but damn! I could have saved 20 bones!

Still an amazing game, just hate that the sale happened so quickly, and that I lost my receipt and couldn't price match. Venting in here.

KevinCow

Banned
Jesus fucking christ, whoever programmed this game's rubberbanding needs to be shot in the face. Repeatedly. No, it's not fun or exciting or in any way entertaining to drive an entire race without crashing once, only to have the entire race rendered meaningless when three cars suddenly fly past you when the finish line is within sight. No, it's not fun when using your detonators well to take out your opponents only means they'll be right back on your tail in five seconds, while if you crash or even take a turn wrong, the entire fucking pack passes you and you have to spend the rest of the race trying to catch up. No, it's not fun when you're playing Eliminator and the three last place cars zoom past you when the timer is at 2 seconds.

Everything else about this game is great (well, except the shitty camera that barely lets you see in front of you). Driving under an exploding truck as it flips over you, narrowly dodging a crane, or blowing up a building then driving on it for a shortcut is really fun, intense, and clever. Why the fuck did they decide to ruin it by throwing in such horrible rubberbanding?

DonMigs85

KevinCow said:
Jesus fucking christ, whoever programmed this game's rubberbanding needs to be shot in the face. Repeatedly. No, it's not fun or exciting or in any way entertaining to drive an entire race without crashing once, only to have the entire race rendered meaningless when three cars suddenly fly past you when the finish line is within sight. No, it's not fun when using your detonators well to take out your opponents only means they'll be right back on your tail in five seconds, while if you crash or even take a turn wrong, the entire fucking pack passes you and you have to spend the rest of the race trying to catch up. No, it's not fun when you're playing Eliminator and the three last place cars zoom past you when the timer is at 2 seconds.

Everything else about this game is great (well, except the shitty camera that barely lets you see in front of you). Driving under an exploding truck as it flips over you, narrowly dodging a crane, or blowing up a building then driving on it for a shortcut is really fun, intense, and clever. Why the fuck did they decide to ruin it by throwing in such horrible rubberbanding?
From what I've seen it's still much better than Blur's rubber banding. And the game looks better IMO too, although screen tearing can get annoying.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
KevinCow said:

It's not fun lapping the AI cars either. There has to be a middle ground somewhere.

KevinCow said:
Jesus fucking christ, whoever programmed this game's rubberbanding needs to be shot in the face. Repeatedly. No, it's not fun or exciting or in any way entertaining to drive an entire race without crashing once, only to have the entire race rendered meaningless when three cars suddenly fly past you when the finish line is within sight.

That should only happen when you're using a car that's too slow for the event you're in. That's how I learned that I no longer could use the GT RS. It eventually just couldn't maintain a lead.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Bamelin said:
The rest of his post was a rant against Blur.
Wait, didn't he put up a post saying he liked it? Wow, even John McCain is disgusted by his flip-flopping.

I picked up the X360 version of Split/Second today, it's good but not great. The rubberbanding did cost me a few races. Hopefully, this gets fixed with a patch, or they make this better in the inevetable sequel.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
The rubber banding isn't that bad in this, I've definitely experienced worse. The game has to maintain some closeness or else it wouldn't be called Split Second. 9/10 you lose because you drive like shit or don't manage your Power Plays. Once you move onto the next Episodes and you struggle to get 2nd then it's time to try and earn another car and go back and repeat some of the earlier races to get those points you missed out on.

crispyben said:
This video? I took his on-screen advice and just emulated his trajectories as well as I could. Do not hesitate to ease off the throttle in order to cut corners, and use the track's sides to your advantage to avoid drifting when exiting turns. It's far from being the hardest thing in the game :D

I dont understand how he can spend more time in the wall than on the track and still beat the time

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Last two days I've been having trouble connecting to games, or having the countdown timer restart a few times then the game start without me.... anybody else seeing this?

Konosuke

This game has really grown on me. The graphics are really awesome and the lighting delicious. Too bad the PC port is rubbish. Where's XInput support? Why do i still have to use a keyboard when i have a fully mapped gamepad? I wished they released a patch for this.

jett

D-Member
Mr Solo Dolo said:
I dont understand how he can spend more time in the wall than on the track and still beat the time

I find that actual driving and racing doesn't fucking matter in this game.

DonMigs85

I have the PS3 version and my TV is set to "just scan" and I see a flickering purple line in the upper right corner during Loading screens. Is this normal?
Also if anyone from Black Rock is reading this thread please patch the X/O button bug as well!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
So via their fb page I just got a response that my issue is a known one and they are working on a patch... ugh. Oh well at least I know somethings going on....

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
anyone know what the latest patch for the ps3 did?

I'm about to double dip on this game when it comes to steam. My favorite racer of this gen by far. Need 4 more achievements for 1000/1000 :D

Downloaded the demo for this last night.

Holy fuck is this game awesome.

I'm so picking this up when it drops a bit, I have to many other games in the pipeline to give this the attention it deserves.

Makes sense though since I love Pure as well. Blackrock are fucking geniuses.

Finally got the hang of the helicopter challenges and I get 1st on them all the time now. thanks again for the advice.

One thing that's nagging me is the car selection. I can pick a decent car and get smoked by the AI racers but when I pick a mid-level car I come in first. Every time I get a newer, better car I pick it thinking it's going to be awesome but then I end up staying in 8th for the entire race. So weird.

So I've been playing this game for about a week now and I don't know how I feel about it. I find it very difficult (maybe I need to game the system by using a worse car, but that doesn't seem like you should have to) and frustrating with the extremely obvious rubber-band AI. The weird thing too is in quickplay you can pick your difficulty; in the career mode the game seems to make its own difficulty depending on how you're doing, never in your favor though.

Other than that the explosions and stuff are cool. I just hope Black Rock can do a title update and make the game a little more fair. I don't remember Pure being so ass difficult.

Sydle

Neuromancer said:
So I've been playing this game for about a week now and I don't know how I feel about it. I find it very difficult (maybe I need to game the system by using a worse car, but that doesn't seem like you should have to) and frustrating with the extremely obvious rubber-band AI. The weird thing too is in quickplay you can pick your difficulty; in the career mode the game seems to make its own difficulty depending on how you're doing, never in your favor though.

Other than that the explosions and stuff are cool. I just hope Black Rock can do a title update and make the game a little more fair. I don't remember Pure being so ass difficult.

For races you need to manage your power plays better, find the racing line on each course, and get better at drifting. Game is pretty easy going then unless you get screwed by a last-minute power play by a competitor.

KevinCow

Banned
I feel like I'm completely missing something with the drifting. It's like it slows me down to a crawl, but other cars seem to drift at full speed. Though maybe that's just the game's bullshit rubberbanding in play.

It seems very clear that they wanted you to focus on using power plays more than actually racing. I tend to do way better when I finally get into a, "Fuck this shit, I'LL KILL YOU ALL!" mentality and start abusing the hell out of power plays. It's a shame, because I find it FAR more fun to be in first and dodge the power plays other racers throw at you.

NinjaBoiX

jett said:
And here is jett's customary "controversial" post. If driving well has never helped you win, then maybe you just suck.

NinjaBoiX

jett said:
And here is jett's customary "controversial" post. If driving well has never helped you win, then maybe you just suck.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Extremely fun game. I could still do without the insane rubberbanding.

Fucking 5 second lead suddenly evaporates at the last second when I cross the finish line and I'm beating by 1/100 of a second? Fucking BULLSHIT!

I know the game is trying to keep the tension high, but again, I feel if I'm kicking ass the first two laps, it shouldn't come back and bite me in the ass in the last 1/3 of the last lap.

Detonator challenges, I understand and most of the times if you memorize the powerplays, you're good. Survivor, airstrike, air revenge, again, completely doable.

However, races and ESPECIALLY elite races need tweaking; one of the reasons I enjoyed the hell out of RR is that if you race well, you win. Period. None of this magical speed boost bullshit.

I've also found easing up on the gas before sharp turns is much more effective than always drifting. Also, if you're going to drift for a sharp turn, DO IT EARLY!

Tokubetsu

Kuro Madoushi said:
Extremely fun game. I could still do without the insane rubberbanding.

Fucking 5 second lead suddenly evaporates at the last second when I cross the finish line and I'm beating by 1/100 of a second? Fucking BULLSHIT!

I know the game is trying to keep the tension high, but again, I feel if I'm kicking ass the first two laps, it shouldn't come back and bite me in the ass in the last 1/3 of the last lap.

Detonator challenges, I understand and most of the times if you memorize the powerplays, you're good. Survivor, airstrike, air revenge, again, completely doable.

However, races and ESPECIALLY elite races need tweaking; one of the reasons I enjoyed the hell out of RR is that if you race well, you win. Period. None of this magical speed boost bullshit.

I've also found easing up on the gas before sharp turns is much more effective than always drifting. Also, if you're going to drift for a sharp turn, DO IT EARLY!

My only gripe with the game so far as well. The rubberbanding is compounded by the powerplays as well. Nothing like leading (barely) for 2 laps only to have the asshole ai drop a building on you at the last possible second making evasion impossible and ruining any chances of you ever winning the race.

I do love the game a lot though. It's great looking and the sound is amazing but I'm getting angry a lot at the A.I.

All I have left are the online bits, 5 of the time trials, and the two "beat the team" trophies. I kept noticing in the last elite race that even though I had the fastest car available, they would outpace me easily on straightaways. So very annoying.

Is it possible to beat a time trial not in the season mode? Or do you have to do it in there? Because there's one of the time trials that I'm on where even a perfect run nets me +4 seconds at the end of the race. If I had a faster car I could do it.

allegate said:
All I have left are the online bits, 5 of the time trials, and the two "beat the team" trophies. I kept noticing in the last elite race that even though I had the fastest car available, they would outpace me easily on straightaways. So very annoying.

Is it possible to beat a time trial not in the season mode? Or do you have to do it in there? Because there's one of the time trials that I'm on where even a perfect run nets me +4 seconds at the end of the race. If I had a faster car I could do it.

You can just beat the time trials on the mode select screen and choose any car.

Wow, I dont think I actually ever touched this game nor came back to this thread since getting the Platinum release week, lol. My 40 hours of my life!

mujun

Gen X said:
The rubber banding isn't that bad in this, I've definitely experienced worse. The game has to maintain some closeness or else it wouldn't be called Split Second. 9/10 you lose because you drive like shit or don't manage your Power Plays. Once you move onto the next Episodes and you struggle to get 2nd then it's time to try and earn another car and go back and repeat some of the earlier races to get those points you missed out on.

Yeah, fuck this game. Terribly designed with crappy racing once it starts to get difficult.

Very frustrating to constantly lose right in the last seconds of a race because of rubberbanding, shit flying all over the screen or some other crap.

Not my idea of fun. If you are going to force people to go back and get 1st in almost every race just so you can unlock a decent car then put difficulty modes in for people who don't enjoy having to grind.

I'm considering dropping this and I'm not even half way through.

Disappointing after Pure, which I loved.

I started a race this morning while getting ready for work and I won with about 19 seconds to spare. There was even a L1 ranked person in the game so it shouldn't have been quite as bad. I suppose it helps that I finished all of the detonator courses just the other day so I am intimately familar with the courses. :)

In the end I got three trophies out of it - win first online race, beat a L10 or higher racer, and the race against a black rock employee. Not bad. Now I just need to grind to L1.

Speaking of detonator, I tried the power plant "beat the team" in the fastest car and didn't even come close. I forsee lots of practice.

allegate said:
I started a race this morning while getting ready for work and I won with about 19 seconds to spare. There was even a L1 ranked person in the game so it shouldn't have been quite as bad. I suppose it helps that I finished all of the detonator courses just the other day so I am intimately familar with the courses. :)

In the end I got three trophies out of it - win first online race, beat a L10 or higher racer, and the race against a black rock employee. Not bad. Now I just need to grind to L1.

Speaking of detonator, I tried the power plant "beat the team" in the fastest car and didn't even come close. I forsee lots of practice.

It took me 8+ hours to get that power plant one, lol, in the Cyclone, the fastest car, I couldnt handle it

SmokyDave

I'm loving this game. It's become something of a games night favourite between me & my friends. I'm not big on racing games with power ups in but this is just up my street, one special ability, accessible to everyone and that affects everyone in the same way. Adds a nice bit of spice to an already well put together arcade racer. Short, sharp races make it easy to pass the pad around amongst a few people too.

I can see me playing this game a lot. An awful lot.

DonMigs85

I just got prompted to install the 1.02 update, but does anyone know what was fixed? Can't find anything about it online.

I think it was just online connection stuff to improve wait times and the like.

I was practicing this morning and got within .03 seconds of the Construction time. argh! I'll have that one by tonight, I think. Something I don't understand about that Roosterteeth video is that I can take a turn without letting off the gas but I lose speed and he hits a wall and doesn't lose speed. what's up with that?

allegate said:
I think it was just online connection stuff to improve wait times and the like.

I was practicing this morning and got within .03 seconds of the Construction time. argh! I'll have that one by tonight, I think. Something I don't understand about that Roosterteeth video is that I can take a turn without letting off the gas but I lose speed and he hits a wall and doesn't lose speed. what's up with that?

Yeah thats the most awesome thing, I its more about the angle that you hit the wall at and the limited time on it prevents how much you would need to accelerate again.

Alright, got 1.06 on the construction site. I can get within 1 second of the power plant, I just need to find a way to hit the 90 degree turns better than I am now. Timing issue or something, I'm sure. Too many spinouts as it is.

Top Bottom