• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Split/Second |OT|

I'm running it fine on Very High. Never saw it dip below 30 once. Playing it at 1280x1024 on a 4470, i5 750

If I increase the resolution to 1920x1200 then yeah, framerate goes to hell.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Opus Angelorum said:
Unfortunately both this and Alan Wake will succumb to Red Dead Redemption. I think it was a pretty poor time to release Split/Second.

Too many racing games coming out in May. I have this and it's okay thus far, but with both Blur and ModNation Racers coming on Tuesday, it could get lost in the shuffle. Not to mention Red Dead.

I have to correct my previous statement: There are only 11 tracks. I beat the game yesterday and one spot in the track selection screen remains empty.

Aaron

Fortinbras said:
I have to correct my previous statement: There are only 11 tracks. I beat the game yesterday and one spot in the track selection screen remains empty.
Bah, that sucks. They should have made an even dozen. There are four survival tracks, but there's not much to them.

xSL4INx

Ok, after about 4 hours of play and getting up to Episode 6 of the career mode, I've decided the game isn't worth the frustration that it's becoming. The rubberband AI is simply awful in this game. I'll give it that it's fun and flashy, but the fact that I can be 3 seconds ahead in first, then after nudging a corner from not taking the absolute perfect line possible in a turn and drop to being behind in 4th place and 9 seconds behind is just plain ridiculous.

I liked the game for what I got out of it, but it's turning into the same problem that PURE had with its rubberband AI, and I simply don't have the time or patience to sit with this game racing the same monotonous race to earn enough credits to get a car that still isn't fast enough to overtake the AI. Burnout Paradise is still the king of fast pace racing this generation.

I just bought it from Game and they gave me a code to unlock a new track, Expressway.

I assume you would get this track anyway, its not Game exclusive, right?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
TeethMummy said:
Too many racing games coming out in May. I have this and it's okay thus far, but with both Blur and ModNation Racers coming on Tuesday, it could get lost in the shuffle. Not to mention Red Dead.

what? aaargh.

Haven't been keeping track of either modnation or blur - how are impressions/reviews?

panda21

Thunderbear said:
Wow I got the game for PC ($39.99, $20 off console price and I was hoping for better image quality) and it runs like _crap_. I got a GTX 470 and the game crawls. It must be very CPU dependant because I have a Q6600 2.40ghz overclocked to 3.30ghz so it's a fairly old CPU. I got 8gb of ram and of course the GTX 470 has 1.2gb of Vram.

I tried playing it on Very High at 1280x720, stutters like crazy. We're talking 10 fps and lower here with very short bursts of 40+. At High the same deal, pretty much exactly the same. I tried 1024x768 and High just to test it and ran like crap.

Guess I'll try to take it back to see if I can get a refund. It really shouldn't run this bad on my system when I can do Crysis at everything Very High plus extra AA transparency AA at 30fps.

Looked like a fun game too :(.

are you sure switching to high took? everyone has said it runs like crap on very high but high is fine. just because you can run crysis doesnt mean you automatically ought to be able to run this on very high, for all we know it could be using full global illumination or something :lol

i don't think very high can just be switching the AA on because the amount of slow down is insane.

Metalmurphy said:
I'm running it fine on Very High. Never saw it dip below 30 once. Playing it at 1280x1024 on a 4470, i5 750

If I increase the resolution to 1920x1200 then yeah, framerate goes to hell.

hang on a minute... something weird is going on here

i don't know my gpus but i thought i5 750 + 5770 > i5 750 + 4470? or is a 4470 a beast?

panda21 said:

i don't know my gpus but i thought i5 750 + 5770 > i5 750 + 4470? or is a 4470 a beast?

Typo sorry, it's a 4870, Saphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 to be precise. But afaik yes the 5770 is better. I dunno what to tell you, the game runs flawlessly at 1280x1024 on Very High. I even went to the drivers CC to see if AA was being forced off or something. But it wasn't, you can notice the difference in-game right away.

Win 7 64bits, catalyst 9.12

Took some screens on my Xfire page:

http://www.xfire.com/profile/metalmurphy/screenshots/?view#97808520
97808494-4.jpg

I'll take some screenshots with FRAPS on in a bit.

So for those who have played a good amount of the game - Do you think the Level 2 power plays are really that useful? I mean, maybe its my timing, but other than it changing the course, and causing something visually awesome to happen, I have found through playing completely through the first episode that the Level 1 power plays are much more useful and more effective in terms of actually wrecking opponents and improving your position.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Thunderbear said:
The general point remains the same but if you felt the need to be rude about it and nitpick at one of my figures then fine. The "under 10fps" isn't exactly accurate either if, it's just in the range of completely unplayable. I did not have fraps running at the time so I was guessing. When you see bursts of smooth framerates (less than or a second) it's difficult to tell you exactly what the smooth framerate was and I wasn't aware of the 30fps cap.

Point remains I would really recommend not buying the PC version unless there's more positive feedback. Maybe it's the CPU creating the bottleneck and someone will do a benchmark.
Wasn't intended to be rude. Just taking note.

Still, I don't see why your performance is so poor. That CPU should be ample, I'd think. Something seems fishy.

The port was coded by a group other than Blackrock, however, and it shows. It feels like a cheap port.

TheApatheticOne said:
So for those who have played a good amount of the game - Do you think the Level 2 power plays are really that useful? I mean, maybe its my timing, but other than it changing the course, and causing something visually awesome to happen, I have found through playing completely through the first episode that the Level 1 power plays are much more useful and more effective in terms of actually wrecking opponents and improving your position.
I think it depends on the course and what position you're in. On an elite race on the convention center tower course, I took out like 5-6 cars bringing the tower down at the beginning of the second lap and moved all the way from seventh to first. It depends on where you are really. If you are in the back half, it can take out a good chunk. If you are running out front, better off to use Level 1 to take out the 1-2 rivals in front of use or save them for shortcuts (which are invaluable when leading on the last lap to stay ahead)

panda21

Metalmurphy said:
Typo sorry, it's a 4870, Saphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 to be precise. But afaik yes the 5770 is better. I dunno what to tell you, the game runs flawlessly at 1280x1024 on Very High. I even went to the drivers CC to see if AA was being forced off or something. But it wasn't, you can notice the difference in-game right away.

Win 7 64bits, catalyst 9.12

ah i was being dumb, i just tried it again and i was running it in 1680x1050. very high is fine right up to 1440x900 (not sure it was perfect but it didnt seem terrible, and 1280x800 was fine) but its pretty bad at 1680x1050

i think i actually prefer high at 1680x1050 though..

TheApatheticOne said:

I usually go through the course and save up for a level 2 power play. Then I will use this (if its elimination, I save it up for once that first 50 or so second elimination round finishes) immediately once possible. I then try to save up for another level 2 power play in the event that the cars pass me again. They are so useful cause they average between 3 - 6X wreckages, lol.

TheApatheticOne said:

The EDGE review said the same thing...

But everyone needs the option between utility and AWESOME now and then.... IMO :D

Aaron

NinjaFusion said:
The EDGE review said the same thing...

But everyone needs the option between utility and AWESOME now and then.... IMO :D
Second level power plays make the later elite missions much easier. There's a reason there's an achievement for going from last to first place using one. I use one just about every race now.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Playing this yesterday in the second episode, I said holy shit a lot. I'm in love with this game. :D :D

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Does anyone know if the PS3 version runs as well as the X360 version? Does the PS3 version support the latest Logitech racing wheel for PS3?

DenogginizerOS said:
Does anyone know if the PS3 version runs as well as the X360 version? Does the PS3 version support the latest Logitech racing wheel for PS3?
I can't speak for the PS3 version, but on the 360 the wheel is basically unusable although it is technically supported (the dead zone is far too large for turning, almost digital-like where you have to turn it a ton to get any movement) I suspect the game was not tuned for wheels at all.

Played a couple of hours last night and it's great. Just finished the first Season making first in each. I had a bit of a tough time doing the 2nd Eliminator but managed eventually. I tried numerous times but failed to get that 1st spot. I like how the trophies are actually decals, though it's a shame you can't actually do anything with them. Speaking of trophies, this game through them at you left, right and centre. Got 17% already.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
panda21 said:
are you sure switching to high took? everyone has said it runs like crap on very high but high is fine. just because you can run crysis doesnt mean you automatically ought to be able to run this on very high, for all we know it could be using full global illumination or something :lol

i don't think very high can just be switching the AA on because the amount of slow down is insane.

Crysis was just an example of a game that require high specs. Of course it can be an apples to oranges situation but I don't see what this game is doing that's so intensive. Especially since it looks pretty damn sweet at 720p on consoles.

You have an i5 which leads me to think that in my case the bottleneck must be the CPU. Even though my CPU (Q6600 at 3.2ghz) isn't horrible, the i5 is definitely stronger. Wonder if there's a chance for a patch? But that you have to run the game at 1280x1024 is pretty sad.

To the person who asked me if I was sure I switched to high from very high, yeah very sure. I could see the quality difference in the slideshow that was the game.

This game does look really quite nice though so I am hoping I can trade it in for a console version and add the $20. Though I have to say Blur and Modnation (which I sort of put in the same category) looks really good too so it's getting a bit pricey. Why so many arcade racers at the same time? Wish they would have been spaced out more.

Getting great FPS and can run everything on top settings at 1920x1200 in Splinter Cell though which is nice! Love the extra IQ you get compared to the console version. Need to plug my PC into my projector so I can enjoy it on the couch.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
DenogginizerOS said:

There's a demo on the PSN store. I downloaded it but haven't installed it so I can't tell you how it runs. Just check it out for yourself though.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Dedication Through Light said:
So Im in I guess Episode 10 and just let me say, Detonator truly is rubbish trying to get first place. Ive been doing it for 3+ hours and this is the closest Ive come, lol! Arggh

tumblr_l2s3t7joia1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Are you wide on your turns. All in all, this is still a racing game. Once I got the hang of the gameplay mechanics, I've gone back to racing and I'm smoking the competition. Then again, I'm only in episode two so I don't know what they are throwing at you.

KaYotiX

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
Are you wide on your turns. All in all, this is still a racing game. Once I got the hang of the gameplay mechanics, I've gone back to racing and I'm smoking the competition. Then again, I'm only in episode two so I don't know what they are throwing at you.

It gets pretty hard later on which is fine with me, i love the fact that i can be in first but 10 secs later i have cars near me trying to take me out. Alot of games are boring just becasue once you get in front you stay there.

And screw online play atm (all my cars suck compared to others and i just get smoked):D

Kolgar

DenogginizerOS said:

For what it's worth, I played both demos on the same 61" DLP and thought I noticed a little LOD pop-in on the cars in the PS3 version. It's also possible the aliasing is a bit more evident in that version, but the differences are barely perceptible and the frame rate appears the same.

Agent Icebeezy said:

lol when I was doing the turns wrong I was averaging about 2-5 seconds higher.

I think Im losing some speed at the part thats during when the Helicopter crashes the Dump Truck through the bridge on that part (the shock waves seem to always send the car drifting 9 times out of 10, I think) or either the middle part where theres to 90 degree turns right after each other. I tried drifting through one and I was able to keep some speed up though but messed up on one run cause I ran into the stupid bus or something exploding !!!

Anyway my three favorite cars
tumblr_l2s9u6ttap1qbxqfpo1_500.png

tumblr_l2s9zl13ku1qbxqfpo1_500.png

tumblr_l2sa7nW8Y11qbxqfpo1_500.png

Lemme just say, the 530 GTS is awesome!!!

BeeDog

DenogginizerOS said:

The PS3 runs at a higher resolution than the 360 version, but if I recall correctly it tears a little bit more. Both versions are awesome though, the devs really have a wonderful multiplatform engine on their hands.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
BeeDog said:
The PS3 runs at a higher resolution than the 360 version, but if I recall correctly it tears a little bit more. Both versions are awesome though, the devs really have a wonderful multiplatform engine on their hands.
Hrmm. I am actually leaning towards PS3 because I love action movies with kicking audio tracks and methinks this game would sound better on a PS3 (especially via HDMI in surround sound).

legbone

something is really bothering me. how do you get to the screen that lets you look at the stickers on your car. it is a car select screen but for some reason this game has two different car select screens. sometimes you can change the color of your car and look at decals. and move the car around like a garage mode. then sometimes there are all the cars on the screen and you choose from one but you can't change the color of your car. i am very early in the game (thanks to RDR) but i cannot figure out for the life of me what i'm missing here. why can i not change the color of my car before certain races. help!

legbone said:
something is really bothering me. how do you get to the screen that lets you look at the stickers on your car. it is a car select screen but for some reason this game has two different car select screens. sometimes you can change the color of your car and look at decals. and move the car around like a garage mode. then sometimes there are all the cars on the screen and you choose from one but you can't change the color of your car. i am very early in the game (thanks to RDR) but i cannot figure out for the life of me what i'm missing here. why can i not change the color of my car before certain races. help!

You view that screen when you press triangle to change episode then go back into an episode and select the car. Then you press I think its square on the ps3 to view the decals on the car , and another button to change colors.

legbone

ok. but then when you are in an episode and pick a race you cannot change the color of the cars. is that right? if so it doesn't make any damn sense.

legbone said:
ok. but then when you are in an episode and pick a race you cannot change the color of the cars. is that right? if so it doesn't make any damn sense.

Yeah, you would need to go back out of the episode to change the car color, it truly doesnt make sense, lol. I wish they would take some feedback and apply it in a future patch.

depward

TeethMummy said:
Frustrating. Advanced players have access to high level cars and win every time. I've neve rplaced higher than 3rd.

I was hoping this could clone the kind of fun I had playing Burnout Revenge online. This doesn't really quite sound like it, if I need to worry about grinding through SP (or purchasing a pack that unlocks all cars? wtf) to get access to cars that can have significant advantages online.

depward said:
I was hoping this could clone the kind of fun I had playing Burnout Revenge online. This doesn't really quite sound like it, if I need to worry about grinding through SP (or purchasing a pack that unlocks all cars? wtf) to get access to cars that can have significant advantages online.

everyone bitching about the car dlc... you had a look at what's out for skate 3? or burnout paradise? or need for speed shift?

this is by no means the first game to do unlock dlc.

Arucardo

How's the online on PC? A friend of mine said that either there's no one playing or it's just broken, when looking for a public game he keeps joining in to an empty lobby and even after waiting a while nobody joined.

NinjaFusion said:
everyone bitching about the car dlc... you had a look at what's out for skate 3? or burnout paradise? or need for speed shift?

this is by no means the first game to do unlock dlc.
True, the actual problem is that they don't allow for car class limits in multiplayer which would even things out considerably.

Psy-Phi

Put this on Steam Disney. Naow!

GitarooMan said:
True, the actual problem is that they don't allow for car class limits in multiplayer which would even things out considerably.

The design decision behind that is that each vehicle has it's own strengths and weaknesses in all of the tracks. Sports cars are fast but easy to knock around. Though that may mean they get the lead and keep it I suppose. I haven't played the full version yet.

But still it makes sense, just bump into them with your big ol' SUV until you can make an explosion happen and watch them fishtail all over the road as you pass them up.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Psy-Phi said:
Put this on Steam Disney. Naow!

The design decision behind that is that each vehicle has it's own strengths and weaknesses in all of the tracks. Sports cars are fast but easy to knock around. Though that may mean they get the lead and keep it I suppose. I haven't played the full version yet.

But still it makes sense, just bump into them with your big ol' SUV until you can make an explosion happen and watch them fishtail all over the road as you pass them up.

It's not that simple. Players who finished the single player game have access for far more advanced cars than those who want to jump right into multiplayer. It's not even a fair fight.

It's not like Ice Hockey, where everyone chooses between speed, strength, and all-around. Advanced players have access to far superior vehicles.

In other words, there's no form of matchmaking. And multiplayer is pretty much useless until you've unlocked some mid-level cars. I'm in episode 4, and have a good enough car to place 3rd or 4th in most online lobbies, but the top two guys always have the elite cars.

Top Bottom