• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

pariah164

Yeah, as a whole, the Ultimate Despairs were fucked up.

So, now that they're back... they're kind of a mix of their despaired selves and before despair selves? Is that it?

LiK

Yeah, as a whole, the Ultimate Despairs were fucked up.

So, now that they're back... they're kind of a mix of their despaired selves and before despair selves? Is that it?

judging from the way Hajime ended up, I guess the surviving Despairs now have both their old and new memories. Which allows them to create that future they talked about. Must be pretty freakin' weird.

Man, it would be pretty sweet if there's concept art of them in their present day bodies.

MSMrRound

As Hajime showed, it was implied that the survivors retain some form of memory from their time doing the virtual killing game.

However, it is still not clear if it happened to all of them, or only Hajime.

It was popularly stated that the survivors are staying back on the real Jabberwock Island figuring out a way to rescue the fallen companions from the comatose state that they are in.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
anyone else curious what they actually looked like in the real world? we got to see Hajime's back but I was super curious how fucked up they looked.

Also, I cannot believe they mentioned Junko's corpse was fucked by one of her followers.

Considering how she bit the dust in the first one, I don't even understand how any of that was possible.

LiK

Considering how she bit the dust in the first one, I don't even understand how any of that was possible.

I thought so too until they showed Nagito had her arm and another guy had her eyeball. You'd think they were all crushed but apparently not.

Yeah, seeing the despair versions of everyone would be cool, but at least we get cool fan made interpretations like that really well done stuff from a few pages back.

On the subject of how fucked up someone trying to have children with Junko's dead body (whether by necro sex or taking her ovaries) is, I just kind of saw that as the extent of what they can mention what Ultimate Despair did.

Remember, they didn't have a shred of humanity left and did all kinds of shit to make other people despair. With some of the implications we have (like Teruteru eating his mom), it's unlikely there was a line. They were all probably mass murdering rapist child killers that were outright aroused by the unspeakable acts they committed as an extreme form of sadism (with some masochism thrown in). But it's not like stuff like that could be shown in any game approved by any video game rating board in the world.

It's easy to forget between all the silly personality shifts and 4th wall breaking, but in-universe Junko is on the same level as Hitler depending on how far her influence spread.

LiK

yea, Junko is like Hitler and Joker combined. I still remember being shocked by her first appearance at the end of DR1. Probably one of the most fucked up villains in all video games.

DaBoss

What was with the swearing by Sonia in Ch 5? That was just out of no where. It seemed like they really wanted you to think Sonia would be suspicious.

Rubedo

What was with the swearing by Sonia in Ch 5? That was just out of no where. It seemed like they really wanted you to think Sonia would be suspicious.

I'm pretty sure that was just because she was in distress over the idea of one of them being a killer again after everything they went through.

Also, I'm baffled as to how Ultimate Despair was able to get parts of Junko's body when she was clearly crushed.

DaBoss

So was the AE poster in the movie theater in the Japanese version? I thought it was a cool nod towards it. I hope it comes over.
I'm pretty sure that was just because she was in distress over the idea of one of them being a killer again after everything they went through.
But this was before Nagito was murdered. They were looking for the bombs while she was trying to find out if the bombs are fake.

...heck, I can't remember. I was basing this off the PSP version, where it's Time Travelers. It very may have been AE in 1.2 Reload.

It was changed to AE in Reload. Interestingly, the Skullhead Mask is still in the game and references Time Travelers by name. Huh.

Vylash

jXEc9taXeusYD.jpg

are you guys talking about this?

Noi

Man, does Byakuya 2 have ANY spots in Island mode that are super effective to raise his affection at? I swear I've tried multiple variants in every location and the most I can find is the half-a-heart raising one. It'd be a no brainer if the restaurant was an available location. :/

GSR

so what's this about? i was intrigued

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but the next DR is a interquel between 1 and 2 starring Komaru (Makoto's little sister) and Touko/Genocider. Third-person puzzle-shooter.

Trailers here and here.

Rubedo

I'm still disappointed at not getting to see more of what the cast was like as Ultimate Despair. That one scene with Nagito and the arm reveal was awesome. It just makes me sad that a DR3 is probably years away and even then it's not like it will focus around this cast.

Basically I just want to a lot more about this cast and the stuff that happened to them during their school life that led to them being Ultimate Despair. And how they managed to get all those parts from Junko if she was smashed into paste.

LX_Theo

Banned
Credit roll as I type this.

Great game. Great improvements over the first. Leaves me wanting so much more. Certainly breaking into one of my top ten games of all time.

Finished up a few hours ago and, outside of the action segments, it was a markedly better game than the first. The twists were great, the individual mysteries were awesome, and I LOVED the character designs. I was a little worried during Chapter 3 because I didn't enjoy that chapter as much as the first two (RIP Ibuki), but Chapters 4, 5, and 6 proceeded to blow me away.

My favorite characters were Fuyuhiko, Nekomaru, Gundham, Kazuichi and Sonia, so as far as survivors are concerned the story ended up significantly better for me than DR1. I'll echo the desire to see more of what the cast was like when they were Ultimate Despair, because I can't even imagine what somebody as kind as, say, Nekomaru would have been like.

kewlmyc

Oh my god, I've grown accustom to Nagito's english voice. I don't prefer it, but damn way better than I expected. Way better than Makoto in the first game.

pariah164

Finished up a few hours ago and, outside of the action segments, it was a markedly better game than the first. The twists were great, the individual mysteries were awesome, and I LOVED the character designs. I was a little worried during Chapter 3 because I didn't enjoy that chapter as much as the first two (RIP Ibuki), but Chapters 4, 5, and 6 proceeded to blow me away.

My favorite characters were Fuyuhiko, Nekomaru, Gundham, Kazuichi and Sonia, so as far as survivors are concerned the story ended up significantly better for me than DR1. I'll echo the desire to see more of what the cast was like when they were Ultimate Despair, because I can't even imagine what somebody as kind as, say, Nekomaru would have been like.
Yeah, I did better too. My waifu choice made it out alive, so that made me happy. I did not expect to like Fuyuhiko ever, but after Peko's death and his slowly becoming less of a dick, he became a much more likable character. With a badass eyepatch.

I still want the Ultimate Despair fanart from that one MAD. Anyone know where to find it?

Rubedo

I did not expect to like Fuyuhiko ever, but after Peko's death and his slowly becoming less of a dick, he became a much more likable character. With a badass eyepatch.

Yeah for the first chapter or so I was kind of feeling like, other than maybe two or three characters, the male cast was a little lacking in likeability in this game but then Fuyuhiko went through quite a change after Chapter 2 and became one of my favorites.

Just completed the game. it was fantastic, however that snowboarding minigame and (inproved) hangman's gambit are terrible.

I really liked Mikan up until she got all despair-ey. Her report card was pretty heavy.

LiK

Still not over the whole Chiaki thing. Someone hold me please ;-;

Hey, no worries, I bet she'll be back the same way as Alter Ego.

Just completed the game. it was fantastic, however that snowboarding minigame and (inproved) hangman's gambit are terrible.

I really liked Mikan up until she got all despair-ey. Her report card was pretty heavy.

Mikan is such a tragic character. Bullied all her life and maybe that's why she became a Despair. I really liked her. Her English VO was really great.

LX_Theo

Banned
The best chapter in the game is Chapter 4 because Gundham used alchemy (but failed).

Chapter 5 was pretty amazing and probably my favorite. I was convinced that it was actually a suicide, and that Nagito's goal was to convince people it was a murder and for the trial to out the traitor before people realized it was a suicide. The resulting trial blew past my expectations so much that I was flabbergasted most of the later parts of it. So much emotion and mind fuck thrown into one chapter can't be healthy, but damn it was good.

LiK

Chapter 5 was pretty amazing and probably my favorite. I was convinced that it was actually a suicide, and that Nagito's goal was to convince people it was a murder and for the trial to out the traitor before people realized it was a suicide. The resulting trial blew past my expectations so much that I was flabbergasted most of the later parts of it. So much emotion and mind fuck thrown into one chapter can't be healthy, but damn it was good.

Chapter 5 was cool but I hated that I figured it out before all the other characters. Was going through the motions to get to that point. It felt like forever, lol

LX_Theo

Banned
Chapter 5 was cool but I hated that I figured it out before all the other characters. Was going through the motions to get to that point. It felt like forever, lol

Eh, I feel like its like that for 75% of the mysteries in the game, where you figure it out a little or well before they do. It bothers me less than it did earlier on as I'm used to it.

Rubedo

So I've seen a lot of hate for the Chapter 3 case on multiple sites. Why is that? What do people not like about it?

I personally found it to be much more complex and interesting that the previous two. So what's wrong with it?

pariah164

So I've seen a lot of hate for the Chapter 3 case on multiple sites. Why is that? What do people not like about it?

I personally found it to be much more complex and interesting that the previous two. So what's wrong with it?
The big thing for me was Mikan's execution being utterly underwhelming. That and Ibuki dying upset me.

LX_Theo

Banned
The big thing for me was Mikan's execution being utterly underwhelming. That and Ibuki dying upset me.

I can agree with the execution. Felt stupid to be honest. Everything else felt the norm for a trial or better (like likable characters getting killed off)

Top Bottom