• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Soda's not that bad, come on.

Yeah, the guy has redeeming and sympathetic qualities. And really, the Umezu reaction face makes up for him creeping on Sonia.

Hiyoko on the other hand is rotten to the core and everyone accepts it. Might as well have been Ultimate Despair already.

Hiyoko on the other hand is rotten to the core and everyone accepts it. Might as well have been Ultimate Despair already.

Seriously

I'm pretty sure everyone else had to have had some breaking done by Junko, but I could totally imagine Junko just approaching Hiyoko like "hey kid wanna sink the world into despair?" and her answering like "sure why not it's not like I have anything better to do"

PK Gaming

Seriously

I'm pretty sure everyone else had to have had some breaking done by Junko, but I could totally imagine Junko just approaching Hiyoko like "hey kid wanna sink the world into despair?" and her answering like "sure why not it's not like I have anything better to do"

7TO66yf.jpg

I know that's Mukuro, but still :X

Pics_nao

Just beat the game...

Holy shit. Still pissed all my favorite characters weren't around by the end. Even more pissed about Chiaki. Totally surprised at how much she grew on me

OceanBlue

Just beat the game...

Holy shit. Still pissed all my favorite characters weren't around by the end. Even more pissed about Chiaki. Totally surprised at how much she grew on me

I thought she'd be safe because she was the Kirigiri of this game, so the end of chapter 5 hit me pretty hard. I even had a slight hope through chapter 6 that Alter Ego or Naegi would show up and do some magic and she'd be alive. She probably became my favorite character by the end.

Lusankya

I did all 6 of hers first since I thought this would be true.

It wasn't... Still worst character.

What the hell man!?

R8j92Xt.jpg

She's an awesome character and makes the game better in every way!
Despite the fact I would hate her in real life.

LiK

Finished the game and I was soooooo happy to see Junko return. Her English VA is simply amazing. I was shocked at how incredible her performance was. It probably topped her work in the first game. More consistent between switching personalities.

Btw, any trophy guides out there? I can't find any....

Nachos

Finished the game and I was soooooo happy to see Junko return. Her English VA is simply amazing. I was shocked at how incredible her performance was. It probably topped her work in the first game. More consistent between switching personalities.

Btw, any trophy guides out there? I can't find any....

Yeah, both Erin Fitzgerald and Amanda Celine Miller did an utterly stellar job of sharing her in the first game, so I can't wait to see how they handle the new personalities.

Well, wow.

UNMARKED SPOILERS AHEAD FROM DR1 AND DR2

Can't believe how a spoiler runied part of the game climax to me. I was trying to find the name of the first game's protagonists before I started the game, then when I found a page with their names on it, it had a spoiler about Junko being an AI. Fuck, that ruined the whole "Cuz it's a game" revelation, since with that I made up my mind that they were locked in a SAO kinda world the moment Usami transformed that chicken into a cow, and that was in the prologue.

Talking about SAO, it gave me a lot of vibes from that, with the people locked in machines, the virtual world, dying in the game meaning death in the real world, etc.

My favorite characters (Ibuki and Chiaki) died, but the other two that I liked (Fuyuhiko and Akane) survived. Akane reminded me a lot of Aoi Asahina, my favorite from DR1. The others that survived I just couldn't stand (Kazuichi and Sonia). They were the most boring characters ever, especially Kazuichi. In DR1 I only didn't like one survivor (Ultimate Clairvoyant guy). The team at the end of the second game reminded me vaguely the team from the first game's ending: the athlete, the master/submissive pair, the unlikable guy who eventually became likeable.

The arcs that I liked the most were the Fuyuhiko one and the MC's. Discovering that you were pratically one of the big bads was cool, and the scene where Fuyuhiko stabbed himself was awesome. He had a great turnaround, because I initally hated him, then after the eye patch he became very good in my eyes.

Some of the pictures shown in the last trial gave some insight about who they were before, right? Akane was the one who kept fasting to reach maximum hunger despair, Kazuichi were the one who killed people with a machinegun, Fuyuhiko were the one who implanted Junko's eye, at least that's what I understood. The one who had sex with Junko's dead body and the one who gave her/his parents away didn't become clear to me. It also could be that those cases were not related to the characters, but I thought the graphics were pretty close to what they were (beanie on Kazuichi, hair on Akane, eye patch on Fuyuhiko).

The 4th wall breaking in this game was huge, especially in the end. Final Fantasy, Ace Attorney, Pokemon, Professor Layton, "characters inside a game", etc. Talking about the end, the Queen was back, at least. Yes, I like Junko a lot, she's one of my favorite characters of the whole series, even though I thought it would be better if she was left in the first game only. Her voice acting was one of the best in a english dub that I've ever heard. It might be clumsy and cliche but if they continue with the series they should do a Saw style villain, somebody trained or influenced by Junko. Hell, something even better to me would be to separate Junko from Monokuma, but I guess she's too big to do that now (pun not intended).

After all, I liked the game a lot, and Hinata was a cool protagonist, especially when he went all super saiyan in the end.

EDIT: I loved when I discovered by myself Miharu's killer. I thought something like "Well, it was one blow to the head, instant death, with a long club like weapon. There is only one person that could do that here in one hit, and that is the Ultimate Swordsman." Boom, nailed it. Of course, her relationship with Fuyuhiko surprised me, but still I was happy to deduce the killer before the trial.

MSMrRound

The one that was implied to want Junko's children is probably Mikan.

Hmm...Danganronpa is something that I'll be afraid to search wikis and Youtube videos for. Glad I'm able to do that now. Even then, I inadvertently got a bit spoiled when some site posted up some cosplay pictures of Comiket 86 (the most recent one). There was one of Chiaki Nanami wearing a Momomi hoodie, so I had the notion that Chiaki somehow controlled Momomi for a while...and yea, it kinda linked to the fact that she was the traitor, but then I was still surprised by how things turned out in Trial 5.

Time to go on the Wiki/Youtube blackout again once Danganronpa 3 get released or something.

kewlmyc

Well, wow.

UNMARKED SPOILERS AHEAD FROM DR1 AND DR2

Can't believe how a spoiler runied part of the game climax to me. I was trying to find the name of the first game's protagonists before I started the game, then when I found a page with their names on it, it had a spoiler about Junko being an AI. Fuck, that ruined the whole "Cuz it's a game" revelation, since with that I made up my mind that they were locked in a SAO kinda world the moment Usami transformed that chicken into a cow, and that was in the prologue.

Talking about SAO, it gave me a lot of vibes from that, with the people locked in machines, the virtual world, dying in the game meaning death in the real world, etc.

My favorite characters (Ibuki and Chiaki) died, but the other two that I liked (Fuyuhiko and Akane) survived. Akane reminded me a lot of Aoi Asahina, my favorite from DR1. The others that survived I just couldn't stand (Kazuichi and Sonia). They were the most boring characters ever, especially Kazuichi. In DR1 I only didn't like one survivor (Ultimate Clairvoyant guy). The team at the end of the second game reminded me vaguely the team from the first game's ending: the athlete, the master/submissive pair, the unlikable guy who eventually became likeable.

The arcs that I liked the most were the Fuyuhiko one and the MC's. Discovering that you were pratically one of the big bads was cool, and the scene where Fuyuhiko stabbed himself was awesome. He had a great turnaround, because I initally hated him, then after the eye patch he became very good in my eyes.

Some of the pictures shown in the last trial gave some insight about who they were before, right? Akane was the one who kept fasting to reach maximum hunger despair, Kazuichi were the one who killed people with a machinegun, Fuyuhiko were the one who implanted Junko's eye, at least that's what I understood. The one who had sex with Junko's dead body and the one who gave her/his parents away didn't become clear to me. It also could be that those cases were not related to the characters, but I thought the graphics were pretty close to what they were (beanie on Kazuichi, hair on Akane, eye patch on Fuyuhiko).

The 4th wall breaking in this game was huge, especially in the end. Final Fantasy, Ace Attorney, Pokemon, Professor Layton, "characters inside a game", etc. Talking about the end, the Queen was back, at least. Yes, I like Junko a lot, she's one of my favorite characters of the whole series, even though I thought it would be better if she was left in the first game only. Her voice acting was one of the best in a english dub that I've ever heard. It might be clumsy and cliche but if they continue with the series they should do a Saw style villain, somebody trained or influenced by Junko. Hell, something even better to me would be to separate Junko from Monokuma, but I guess she's too big to do that now (pun not intended).

After all, I liked the game a lot, and Hinata was a cool protagonist, especially when he went all super saiyan in the end.

It's a spoiler thread, you don't have to warn us about spoilers you know. :p

Anyway glad you liked it.

The one that was implied to want Junko's children is probably Mikan.

Hmm...Danganronpa is something that I'll be afraid to search wikis and Youtube videos for. Glad I'm able to do that now. Even then, I inadvertently got a bit spoiled when some site posted up some cosplay pictures of Comiket 86 (the most recent one). There was one of Chiaki Nanami wearing a Momomi hoodie, so I had the notion that Chiaki somehow controlled Momomi for a while...and yea, it kinda linked to the fact that she was the traitor, but then I was still surprised by how things turned out in Trial 5.

Time to go on the Wiki/Youtube blackout again once Danganronpa 3 get released or something.
And yes, the one that wanted to have Junko's children was Mikan. There's something in either the artbook or somewhere that lists what body parts the Ultimate Despairs took from Junko after she died. For instance, Ibuki took part of Junko's thigh hence why you see her with a scar on her thigh in a lot of art/fanart. Mikan took Junko's reproductive organs.

Also I just finished Gundham's hope shard events. I can't believe that guy goes commando.

And yes, the one that wanted to have Junko's children was Mikan. There's something in either the artbook or somewhere that lists what body parts the Ultimate Despairs took from Junko after she died. For instance, Ibuki took part of Junko's thigh hence why you see her with a scar on her thigh in a lot of art/fanart.
That explains a lot of stuff. Always wondered about that.

One thing that made me sad is that I wanted to see the other guys "Ultimate Despair" form. In the end we only saw Nagito and Hajime :/

kewlmyc

One thing that made me sad is that I wanted to see the other guys "Ultimate Despair" form. In the end we only saw Nagito and Hajime :/

It's one of the reasons why people are looking forward to Another Episode since it takes place between DR1 and 2. Only Nagito is confirmed to be in so far.

It's one of the reasons why people are looking forward to Another Episode since it takes place between DR1 and 2. Only Nagito is confirmed to be in so far.

Pre-sequel?
Sorry for the dumb name, I had to use it.
Uhh :/ But I'll gladly buy it, of course. I liked the story so far, hopefully the next ones will be just as good as the rest.

OceanBlue

So, how much extra content is in Island Mode? Do you get extra scenes for completing it or maxing out characters' Love-Love Levels?

MSMrRound

Say whaaaaat? It is a shooter?

Lol I know right. You should have seen the Another Episode poster in-game though. There's one inside the cinema showing the protagonist of the spin-off game aiming the hacking megaphone at monokuma. Another Episode stars Makoto Naegi's sister Komaru.

Venfayth

Just finished this. Is any of the post game content (island mode, usami's battles, etc) worth checking out?

I did the island-mode-style thing in DR1 but got bored of it after seeing a few free time events I missed that I really wanted to see.

Hell, something even better to me would be to separate Junko from Monokuma, but I guess she's too big to do that now (pun not intended).

Well, yeah, kinda, but Monokuma is a symbol for anyone to use in the name of despair. They don't have any excuse to not use him with anyone else really.

DaBoss

The game played me like a fiddle with Komaeda. Like shit, why is his name an anagram of Makoto's? Why does he have the same ultimate talent? Why was he aspiring to become the ultimate hope? That's probably the thing that is messing with me the most. And what he tried to do at the end, that is some deep shit. Takes a lot to try and take out everyone like that. I don't hate him at all though lol.

Also, was he mentioned in Danganronpa Zero? I feel like he was. I think Izuru was mentioned in it.

And, Kill Command is sooooooooooo good. When it starts playing, that is when shit gets real: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjbgj2V6-o0
Just finished this. Is any of the post game content (island mode, usami's battles, etc) worth checking out?

I did the island-mode-style thing in DR1 but got bored of it after seeing a few free time events I missed that I really wanted to see.
Read Danganronpa IF.

MSMrRound

Nagito threw me for a loop at first as well. That breaking down at the first trial...wow.

I dunno...this is my own idea about Nagito's plans in chapter 5

1. Knowing about the Remnants of Despair, he was trying to finish all of them to truly kill off despair, and be hailed as a sort of messiah or the Ultimate Hope that he was aspiring to be

2. To kill all of them so that the AI Junko virus can take root within all the other bodies and be reborn again.

No idea if the second theory hold any water though.

DaBoss

I think the second theory would not be possible because that would require him to know that they are in the Neo World, I don't think he knew that.
No, Nagito isn't mentioned in Danganronpa Zero. He might be important to this game's plot, he isn't all that important outside of it (yet).
OK, thanks.

OceanBlue

Nagito threw me for a loop at first as well. That breaking down at the first trial...wow.

I dunno...this is my own idea about Nagito's plans in chapter 5

1. Knowing about the Remnants of Despair, he was trying to finish all of them to truly kill off despair, and be hailed as a sort of messiah or the Ultimate Hope that he was aspiring to be

2. To kill all of them so that the AI Junko virus can take root within all the other bodies and be reborn again.

No idea if the second theory hold any water though.

I thought it was the first one as well. AI Junko and the people outside of the game (Naegi etc) were the only ones who knew that AI Junko could do that right?

Edit: Actually yeah, what DaBoss says makes a lot more sense lol.

MSMrRound

Izuru was the one who implemented that virus Alter Junko into the Neo World Project system though.

I think it was implied that the remnants of despair were already hatching up a plan even before they arrived at the real Jabberwock island (as seen from Chapter 0) etc.

E.g sacrificing themselves in order to pave the way for the return of the Ultimate Despair.

OceanBlue

Izuru was the one who implemented that virus Alter Junko into the Neo World Project system though.

I think it was implied that the remnants of despair were already hatching up a plan even before they arrived at the real Jabberwock island (as seen from Chapter 0) etc.

E.g sacrificing themselves in order to pave the way for the return of the Ultimate Despair.

Was it ever suggested that Nagito's memories returned? If I remember correctly, Nagito realized that they were Ultimate Despair due to the class records. IMO, if Nagito realized they were Ultimate Despair, he wouldn't try to help Junko and he probably wouldn't have known about the plan either. It'd be different if his memories returned like with Mikan.

Yeah pretty sure he had no idea about AI Junko. He knew they were all despair but not because he remembered.

As fucked up his plan was, he had good if somewhat selfish intentions. He wanted the people responsible for fucking up the world to die so that the only actually good person there could live and maybe be considered the Ultimate Hope in the process.

DaBoss

Just found the artbook translation talking about Nagito's design:
”The warped rival”

Komaeda holds the role of ”A strong rival”, that was not present in [1]. However, if we just made him an an enemy he would just be feared as the mastermind yet one wouldn’t exactly call him a strong rival if he was just the Masterminds underling either. That is the start from where he became the current warped person displaying ”The fear of someone you can’t empathize with/someone that can’t empathize”, ”Contradiction” and a ”In-versed Hope” that he is now. It requires courage to draw a character holding contradictions, yet once I got over that I actually enjoyed making the portrayal.
The other concept was ”A Naegi that took a step down the wrong path”. It’s also one of the themes for the main title as it stems from the idea of ”A Hope too extreme will become Despair”. Just like the front and back of Möbius strip Komaeda and Naegi are both the exact opposites of each other yet still extremely alike. It’s for the sake of conveying such a theme in a vivid manner, that he exists.
The matter of both resembling in looks may also be an inevitability, if you conform under the idea that outward appearance would grow closer the more the ideology would match.
By the way - his name may seem quite suggestive, however it was ”while thinking of a name that would sound both suspicious yet cool, that it accidentally became the anagram of that boy”! (Kodaka)
Really good stuff by them.

No, Nagito isn't mentioned in Danganronpa Zero. He might be important to this game's plot, he isn't all that important outside of it (yet).

Wasn't there some other media where Nagito was mentioned? I recall him coming up in a discussion by Hope's Peak staff about whether they should continue the Ultimate Lucky Student program because Nagito was problematic... or something like that. I totally forget where it comes from but I remember reading it.

Wasn't there some other media where Nagito was mentioned? I recall him coming up in a discussion by Hope's Peak staff about whether they should continue the Ultimate Lucky Student program because Nagito was problematic... or something like that. I totally forget where it comes from but I remember reading it.

It mightttttt be that whole origin story of how Makoto becomes the Ultimate Lucky Student?

And yes, the one that wanted to have Junko's children was Mikan. There's something in either the artbook or somewhere that lists what body parts the Ultimate Despairs took from Junko after she died. For instance, Ibuki took part of Junko's thigh hence why you see her with a scar on her thigh in a lot of art/fanart. Mikan took Junko's reproductive organs.

Oh cool, there a link anywhere about what it says in the artbook? Would love to get more info on that and other stuff ultimate despair was involved in.

Vylash

yikes, that's the one aspect of the story i don't really like, it's super gross

Labrys

The NISA artbook says the scar on Ibuki's thigh is a tattoo, so I don't think that's right. I think a lot of the things besides Nagito taking her hand are up to interpretation.

LiK

anyone else curious what they actually looked like in the real world? we got to see Hajime's back but I was super curious how fucked up they looked.

Also, I cannot believe they mentioned Junko's corpse was fucked by one of her followers.

MSMrRound

a
Also, I cannot believe they mentioned Junko's corpse was fucked by one of her followers.

I think that was an interpretation on NISA's part...if I'm not wrong the Japanese version had it as "wanted to have Junko's children". It implied that Mikan took Junko's ovaries for herself in some form of way.

DaBoss

anyone else curious what they actually looked like in the real world? we got to see Hajime's back but I was super curious how fucked up they looked.

Yea, I wanted to see how they look. I hope only Nagito was the idiot.

And yea, that was fucked up.
I think that was an interpretation on NISA's part...if I'm not wrong the Japanese version had it as "wanted to have Junko's children". It implied that Mikan took Junko's ovaries for herself in some form of way.
Oh...still messed up.

LiK

oh, not as morbid. the shot with Nagito with Junko's arm was pretty damn disturbing too.

Top Bottom