• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Rubedo

The big thing for me was Mikan's execution being utterly underwhelming. That and Ibuki dying upset me.

Well I agree the execution was very lame, especially after hearing people say this game's executions were supposedly 100% better than the last batch. But people seem to not like the actual trial/case. I don't get it.

It was much better than the last game's double murder case in my opinion.

Vylash

So I've seen a lot of hate for the Chapter 3 case on multiple sites. Why is that? What do people not like about it?

I personally found it to be much more complex and interesting that the previous two. So what's wrong with it?

We're all pissed about Ibuki

While I did consider chapter 3 the worst one, I still liked it a lot. The execution being stupid and underwhelming soured me and the trial itself just wasn't as interesting to me, but still interesting enough.

So I've seen a lot of hate for the Chapter 3 case on multiple sites. Why is that? What do people not like about it?

I personally found it to be much more complex and interesting that the previous two. So what's wrong with it?

Ibuki was a tragic loss. Also, Mikan's execution was weird, and the class trial didn't seem quite as intense as the first two. I did really enjoy the part were everybody was unsure about suspecting Mikan/trying to make Hajime feel like the villain. I thought that was neat.

CrazyDude

Ibuki was a tragic loss. Also, Mikan's execution was weird, and the class trial didn't seem quite as intense as the first two. I did really enjoy the part were everybody was unsure about suspecting Mikan/trying to make Hajime feel like the villain. I thought that was neat.

I also like how it kind of foreshadows the fact that everyone was originally crazy like her.

LX_Theo

Banned
I suppose I should, now that I've finished the game...

Favorite Character Tiers (no particular order within tiers)

- - - - - - Bestest - - - - - -
Chiaki
Sonia
Gundham

- - - - - - Awesome - - - - - -
Mahiru
Hajime

- - - - - - Cool With Me - - - - - -
Fuyuhiko
Imposter
Mikan
Nekomaru
Ibuki

- - - - - - Okay - - - - - -
Akane
Hiyoko
Teruteru
Peko

- - - - - - Go away - - - - - -
Kazuichi

- - - - - - F*** YOU! - - - - - -
Nagito

pariah164

Borrowing that table, LX_Theo:

- - - - - - Bestest - - - - - -
Peko
Sonia
Ibuki
Gundham

- - - - - - Awesome - - - - - -
Chiaki
Hajime
Fuyuhiko

- - - - - - Cool With Me - - - - - -
Imposter
Nekomaru

- - - - - - Okay - - - - - -
Akane
Kazuichi

- - - - - - Go away - - - - - -
Hiyoko
Teruteru

- - - - - - F*** YOU! - - - - - -
Mikan
Nagito

Vylash

oh are we ranking characters?

Top tier:
Ibuki
Chiaki
Sonia
Mikan
Hajime
Junko

Almost top tier but not quite:
Gundham
Nagito

Average tier:
Fuyuhiko
Nekomaru
Peko
Akane
Mahiru
Byakuya

Burn in hell tier:
Hiyoko
Teruteru
Kazuichi

LiK

The big thing for me was Mikan's execution being utterly underwhelming. That and Ibuki dying upset me.

I can agree with the execution. Felt stupid to be honest. Everything else felt the norm for a trial or better (like likable characters getting killed off)

yup, murders were underwhelming and the execution was weak as hell. she flies off literally into virtual space. i was expecting better.

Rubedo

Top tier:

Chiaki
Fuyuhiko
Nagito
Akane

Great tier:

Mikan
Peko
Gundham

Good tier:

Nekomaru
Hajime
Ibuki
Sonia

Neutral tier:

Mahiru
Ultimate Imposter

Bad Tier:

Kazuichi

Shit Tier:

Hiyoko
Teruteru

Here are my character rankings. I'll note that I thought these characters were, in general, a huge step up from DR1. Especially visually- I think they all look significantly more appealing.

Ultimate tier:
Fuyuhiko
Gundham
Nekomaru

Super Duper tier:
Kazuichi
Sonia
Hajime
Ibuki

Nice tier:
Byakuya(?)
Chiaki
Peko
Teruteru

Okay tier:
Mahiru
Akane
Mikan

Despair tier:
Hiyoko

F****** Nagito tier:
NagitoNagitongitonagitonagitoooooooooooOooo

I also loved Monomi. Her voice was funny but everybody was so mean to her!

arue

Just echoing many of you in here, chapter 3 was the worst because my favorite character (Ibuki) was killed and Mikan's execution was underwhelming; I felt like it didn't do justice compared to the murders that she did.

My favorite chapter is chapter 5 because I was convinced that Komaeda committed a suicide, but him depending on his luck to make the traitor a killer was a genius move. I wasn't expecting that at all.

Also, does anyone else was surprised that Nanami is the traitor? I mean, I would never suspect her to be the traitor since she's equivalent to Kirigiri in DR.
I'm pretty oblivious to small hints like Nanami knowing about Monomi's diary, so chapter 5 trial was a huge surprise to me.

My favorite characters:
Ibuki, because her quirky personality is refreshing to me and she always lightens the mood in this depressing game.
Gundam, because of the way he talks and his sacrifice in chapter 4.
Nanami, because she's a gamer and she always helps Hinata even after her "death."

My least favorite characters:
Saionji, because she's an evil and annoying little brat.
Mikan, because she killed my favorite character. She was my second favorite until chapter 3.

Im just gonna post my top and bottom tiers. I like every other character just fine, for various reasons.
(note that I have not completed everybody's report cards, so chances are my opinions will change when I do so)

Top tier

Mikan: Her report card really led me to feel for her, its a shame how she ended up.
Gundham: For his pride and commitment to his goofy character till the end. Gundham was one of my favorites.

Bottom tier/shitttttt

Hiyoko: Just an annoying weird little sadist, I couldn't care less about her.

Rubedo

Okay so a common reason I'm seeing for the hate on Chapter 3 is just because Ibuki died. I don't really think it's fair to say a chapter os bad storywise just because a character you like dies. I mean you're supposed to feel for people who die. If there's no emotional reason for you to care then it's kinda weak.

Rough rankings from top to bottom:

Hinata
Nanami
Gundham
Nekomaru
Peko
Ibuki
Kuzuryuu
Sonia
Mikan
Twogami
Teruteru
Akane
Komaeda
Souda/Mahiru/Saionji

I was more sure at the start and near the end it was basically I hate all the rest of them

Rubedo

Rough rankings from top to bottom:

Hinata
Nanami
Gundham
Nekomaru
Peko
Ibuki
Kuzuryuu
Sonia
Mikan
Twogami
Teruteru
Akane
Komaeda
Souda/Mahiru/Saionji

I was more sure at the start and near the end it was basically I hate all the rest of them

Akane below Teruteru? I'm interested to hear why.

Vylash

Okay so a common reason I'm seeing for the hate on Chapter 3 is just because Ibuki died. I don't really think it's fair to say a chapter os bad storywise just because a character you like dies. I mean you're supposed to feel for people who die. If there's no emotional reason for you to care then it's kinda weak.

you be quiet, it sucks because she dies

jUhAxWbO0NVEh.jpg

I felt that chapter 3 was pretty weak in the reason of the murder. She just goes crazy and offs two of them. And it wasn't even due to all the abuse (well directly on the island) she's been going to, so it's kinda like a cop-out case here.

I mean, it's almost as bad as let me fake my death and come back completely alive murder plan from the first game.

Akane below Teruteru? I'm interested to hear why.

Akane's just dull. Teruteru was at least amusing to me.

yami4ct

Finally finished the game. The virtual reality explanation was brilliant in how kind of stereotypical it was. It's something that's easy to guess, but the way they do it is brilliant. I also love how they comment on the expectedness of it.

My one major problem with the end is how similar it is to DR1's. The Junko reveal is super underwhelming and the whole sequence goes on way too long. The whole Ultimate Hope stuff with Hinata felt so undercooked that it didn't surprise. I like the game overall a lot, but I just felt way more satisfied from all the stuff that happened in DR1. DR2 just couldn't fully capture that again.

All that being said, Case 5 of DR2 is the best case of either game. Holy hell. Such great twists and turns. That case alone was worth the price of admission.

Cannot wait for the pretty much inevitable DR3. I can see some awesome stuff they could do with crossing over both casts.

kewlmyc

Eh, sure.

Faves:
Nagito
Ibuki
Gundam

Liked but not Faves:
Hinata
Kuzuryu
Nanami
Sonia
Nidai

Yeah whatever:
Twogami
Peko
Teruteru
Mikan
Soda
Mahiru
Akane

Fuck you, you little troll:
Hiyoko

So I really only hated one character. I either liked or was okay with most of the cast.

GSR

Cannot wait for the pretty much inevitable DR3. I can see some awesome stuff they could do with crossing over both casts.

DR3'll probably be a 2016 title, but as mentioned a little earlier in the thread, there's an interquel releasing in Japan in just a few weeks focusing on Naegi's sister and Fukawa from DR1. They haven't officially confirmed any DR2 characters, but there is this guy...

MSMrRound

What was everyone's favorite chapter?

Chapter 5 hands down. Had the notion that Nagito somehow committed suicide just like Sakura did but holy fuck at the following that transpired. Also had arguably the best execution of the game and cemented my overall favorite character of the entire game.

Chapter 6 was linear as hell (as usual for the final chapter) but Giant Junko...I wasn't expecting that. Also, INSTEAD OF HOPE BULLETS, SMASH THROUGH ALL STATEMENTS WITH FUTURE BULLETS! That part was really hype. Also, taste the rainbow motherfucker!

Chapter 1 deserves mention for the red herring they added. So much better than the first trial for Danganronpa 1.

As for character rankings...in order from fav from least favourite

Goddess Tier:
Chiaki Nanami

Diabolical Tier:
Nagito Komaeda

Super Saiyan Tier:
Awakened Hajime/Isuzu Kamakura/Mirage Golden Hawk Jum-P

Character redeemed Tier:
Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu
Monomi

Best Musical Single honor Tier:
Ibuki Mioda

Would Waifu Tier:
Sonia Nevermind
Peko Pekoyama

Would Husbando Tier:
Gundham Tanaka

Tsundere Tier:
Miharu Koizumi

Would like to see more of Tier:
Fake Byakuya
Teruteru Hamamura (he only wanted to see his ma ;_;)

Fanservice Tier:
Mikan Tsumiki

You Were About to Change For the Better but it was too late/Would squish ants and stomp crabs with you Tier:
Hiyoko Saionji

Shit Tier:
Nekomaru Nidal

Yasuhiro Tier:
Akane Owari
Kazuichi Souda

yami4ct

DR3'll probably be a 2016 title, but as mentioned a little earlier in the thread, there's an interquel releasing in Japan in just a few weeks focusing on Naegi's sister and Fukawa from DR1. They haven't officially confirmed any DR2 characters, but there is this guy...

Yeah, knew that DR3 wasn't probably going to hit for a while and about the interquel thing. Didn't know about the Nagito looking dude. Interesting.

GSR

I will say that while Komaeda's mostly an awful person and the people out there who are all like "he did nothing wrong" (yes, I've seen this) kind of creep me out, he's an absolutely wonderful character, especially in the context of a murder mystery. He's got just this spectacularly inverted internal ruleset, which makes him a very interesting 'wild card'.

The fact they wrap him up in all the little allusions to Naegi also really help the reveal of him as being so out there - you immediately see him and think something's off, but the expectation is that he'll hold off on 'the reveal' until later. Instead the game hits you with it from the get-go and then holds onto him as an active player for a very long time before taking his mindset to its awful conclusion.

I'm glad he (or someone very like him) is in DR:AE, because he really adds that extra dash of uncertainty to anything he's involved in.

LProtag

Just finished! Great game, really loved the twists that started up around Chapter 5 and just kept going.

I had it spoiled for me right after beating the first game that the cast from the original game were part of the Future Foundation, but it turned out that was kinda easy to figure out with tons of foreshadowing anyway and didn't really ruin much. The rest of the stuff I had no idea what was happening.

LX_Theo

Banned
Hmm... That makes me wonder. Were many of you all here spoiled on something?

For me, I accidently stumbled upon a few bits of info. That Makoto had an involvement in the game (which lead me to think Nagito was undercover Makoto early on), that Imposter Byakuya was an imposter, and I saw the Hajime portrait with long hair.

MSMrRound

Were many of you all here spoiled on something?

Cosplay picture of Chiaki in a Monomi jacket, which was easy for me to link to her being a traitor. (I wasn't even looking for specific photos!)

Other than that...nope. Totally blind. Chapter 5 still managed to hit me where it hurts.

Mdesilva

I read way too much >_>

(I look at stuff that I know will probably have spoilers because I don't think it'll be a problem and that's really dumb of me but I can't help myself :( )

PK Gaming

I will say that while Komaeda's mostly an awful person and the people out there who are all like "he did nothing wrong" (yes, I've seen this) kind of creep me out, he's an absolutely wonderful character, especially in the context of a murder mystery. He's got just this spectacularly inverted internal ruleset, which makes him a very interesting 'wild card'.

The fact they wrap him up in all the little allusions to Naegi also really help the reveal of him as being so out there - you immediately see him and think something's off, but the expectation is that he'll hold off on 'the reveal' until later. Instead the game hits you with it from the get-go and then holds onto him as an active player for a very long time before taking his mindset to its awful conclusion.

I'm glad he (or someone very like him) is in DR:AE, because he really adds that extra dash of uncertainty to anything he's involved in.

There aren't many people who seriously think he did nothing wrong. (Most of them are deluded 13 year olds on tumblr). That said, you will find a sizable amount of people who pity him, due to his circumstance.

His entire disposition can explained via his Free Time events.

(Free Time event spoilers)
The whirlwind of good luck and misfortune has pretty much molded him into the person he is today. Furthermore, he was diagnosed with Frontotemporal Dementia. His tendency to say things that upset or anger others falls under his symptomatic behavior

GSR

There aren't many people who seriously think he did nothing wrong. (Most of them are deluded 13 year olds on tumblr). That said, you will find a sizable amount of people who pity him, due to his circumstance.

His entire disposition can explained via his Free Time events.

(Free Time event spoilers)
The whirlwind of good luck and misfortune has pretty much molded him into the person he is today. Furthermore, he was diagnosed with Frontotemporal Dementia. His tendency to say things that upset or anger others falls under his symptomatic behavior

Yeah, I understand that, and I can sympathize with that point of view. It still doesn't change that he pulls some pretty terrible stuff, though! My point was just that even though he's a very easy person to hate, he's still a great character.

Vylash

For me, I accidently stumbled upon a few bits of info. That Makoto had an involvement in the game (which lead me to think Nagito was undercover Makoto early on), that Imposter Byakuya was an imposter, and I saw the Hajime portrait with long hair.

i accidentally stumbled on the fact that Makoto was involved in the Future Foundation, but that was it

PK Gaming

Yeah, I understand that, and I can sympathize with that point of view. It still doesn't change that he pulls some pretty terrible stuff, though! My point was just that even though he's a very easy person to hate, he's still a great character.

No doubt about that. DR2 would simply not be the same game without him. He adds a lot to the experience.

Nachos

Rankings (I don't dislike any of the main cast):
Hajime
Fuyuhiko
Nagito
Chiaki
Gundham
Ibuki
Brogami
Teruteru
Sonia
Nidai
Peko
Mahiru
Akane
Kazuichi
Hiyoko
Tsumiki

Actually dislike tier:
Junko

Did they actually say that, or was it more that they said he did truly horrific things with the best of intentions? I really think Nagito is fascinating, mostly because he's clearly operating on some internal roadmap that's so wholly incompatible with how most perceive the world, that it creates a great amount of tension at just the right moments. That's mostly because, despite his beliefs seeming so alien, it clearly makes sense to him, which allows him to act with certainty and purpose.

I was spoiled on Mahiru being murdered and what I thought was Teruteru being murdered, but I was clearly wrong on that. Good thing too because it made chapter 1's trial all the more surprising.

Was also spoiled on Nagito's crazy spiral eyes as well as his death, but I had forgotten about the latter until the beginning of chapter 5, so no big.

Also knew that many of Junko's followers committed suicide, but didn't know anything beyond that.

I thought I was spoiled on a lot of things but some of them turned out to be false lol.

First was seeing that image from the beginning of the game where everyone is in swimsuits, but I thought it'd be like the first game where fanservicey stuff pops up a few chapters in so I thought anyone not in the picture was murdered/executed. Didn't realize at the time that Hajime wasn't in the picture either. Also a completely fake spoiler about Naegi's sister being the ultimate despair in this game and just impersonating Junko at one point. When the stuff about the Ultimate Imposter popped up I thought there might be that would tie into it somehow, glad it was completely fake though.

The only thing I was really spoiled on was that Kazuichi would at least live until the 5th chapter and Chiaki had some connection to Monomi and would be executed (both because of YouTube thumbnails).

So, are you guys going to wait for AE to come out here or are you going to spoil yourself?
If there will be a nice walkthrough like the one for DR2 I'll probably read, in order not to get spoiled before the actual release.

As something that takes place between the games, I wouldn't care about spoilers quite as much. If I heard that everyone's Ultimate Despair versions were in the game, I'd be more excited rather than pissed I got spoiled. Not sure if I would actually look up their designs, though.

Still, AE doesn't really seem like a mystery game, so spoilers wouldn't be as big a deal in general unless I'm vastly underestimating the amount of twists and stuff in it (which I very well might be knowing Kodaka). I mean, they're not hiding the villains or anything, even if there happens to be a hidden mastermind that is actually Hagakure's sister or something.

I guess I'd really just want to know if the story is as crazy as the rest of the series.

Nachos

So, are you guys going to wait for AE to come out here or are you going to spoil yourself?
If there will be a nice walkthrough like the one for DR2 I'll probably read, in order not to get spoiled before the actual release.

i see no reason to spoil myself on a game that's certainly coming out here

That, and the chances of getting a full playthrough with annotations are basically zilch. The only reason why they were made in the first place was because the series was still unconfirmed to be getting an English release. We'll still get a quick summary or two, but I don't think it would make much sense to translate something that would get translated anyway, especially when competing against professionals who can labor at it for several hours a day as a job.

Granted, that all depends on whether or not the shift of genres will mean comparatively less story. If there isn't that much text, then maybe we'll get a generous die-hard fan to whip one up after the release. Otherwise, that just seems like too big of a time investment.

MSMrRound

All we need is for another English VA for Danganronpa to let slip that they are voicing Another Episode, just like Kyle Hebert when he accidentally revealed that he's voicing Kazuichi Souda when Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc was released ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Noi

The closest I came to that was when I beat DR1. I hadn't yet been warned on how dangerous looking up stuff on the wiki was, so I thought it was safe to go into Junko's profile to read up on her (since I'd been to other dead DR1 character pages and figured it was safe). All it took was scrolling a bit down and seeing a section for SDR2 to figure that she had something to do with the sequel, even though I didn't actually read what it said.

Thankfully, the months-long wait between games made me forget that I'd seen that little snippet until after she shows up. Now I accidentally read some spoilers for DR0, but I'm not really broken up about those since I doubt I'll get around to reading it.

Thankfully, the months-long wait between games made me forget that I'd seen that little snippet until after she shows up. Now I accidentally read some spoilers for DR0, but I'm not really broken up about those since I doubt I'll get around to reading it.
You should read it! It's really good and pretty short too.

Top Bottom