• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

OceanBlue

Oh we're doing rankings?

I agree with everyone else that chapter 5 was the best and chapter 3 was the worst. The reason I'm not a huge fan of chapter 3 is because I think it sacrifices character development. It's as the characters say: the Mikan who killed Hiyoko and Ibuki isn't the same Mikan who was with them until that point. Every other chapter gives strong, mostly sympathetic, motivations for the killings. In chapter 3, Mikan was used to foreshadow the Ultimate Despairs, so she doesn't really get much character development herself. The Mikan we "know" basically disappears without note at some random point in the story (which is why I'm sympathetic to her character). Also "it was because of a virus" was really lame :V. I liked the twist though.

Character rankings:

Chiaki
Hajime
Fuyuhiko
Nagito
Mahiru
Mechamaru
Gundham
Sonia
Byakuya
Peko
Teruteru
Mikan
Ibuki
Akane
Kazuichi
Hiyoko

I just finished the game yesterday... Still enjoyed it immensely, but somehow DR2's ending left me feeling empty, as opposed to Danganronpa 1 - felt that the end game reveals of the world being a screwed up place outside of Hope's Peak and Junko not actually being dead was a lot more hard hitting than "the whole thing is a game" reveal which they basically gave away at the start of chapter 6. And Giant Junko as an end boss is right up there with Steroid Joker from Batman: AA as Terrible, Terrible end bosses go.

I was also gearing up for some kind of nutjob reveal regarding Nagito being some kind of corrupted version of Naegi from DR1, as i noticed early on that his name is (close to) being an anagram of Makoto's. Too much overthinking haha!

And jumping in with the whole rankings thing, heres my personal faves:

God tier:
Nagito
Gundham
Sonia

Great fun:
Chiaki
Teruteru
Mikan
Nekomaru
Hajime
Ibuki

Just OK:
Kazoichi
Fuyuhiko
Ayane
Hiyoko
Fake Byakuya
Peko

I forgot you were even in the game:
Mahiro Koizumi

Theorymon

I finished this game last night. Holy fuck, I did like the first game a lot, but as far as I'm concerned, Danganronpa 2 blew it out of the water! Seriously this is actually a game of the year contender for me! I'll collect my thoughts into something better later, but here are my general thoughts.

I liked the fact that the murder cases were more difficult than last time. With the first game, I usually knew who the killer was really early in the trial. This game was much better at hiding its logic, in several chapters I was actually blindsided by who the killer was until the trial was in its late stages!

I'm pretty glad I managed to avoid spoilers for this game, with the only thing being "spoiled" to me, was that Byakuya was in the game (and I didn't understand the context of the spoiler either, the ultimate imposter stuff threw me for a loop). Maybe I was just inattentive, but the vitirual reality twist really sucker punched me, despite the various hints towards it throughout the game. Probably the best twist in the game for me, it made me look at everything in a totally new light!

Also, I did totally expect Junko to be involved in this game somehow, but I didn't expect it to be in the form of an AI. I'm gonna be honest, hiyoko's shitty additude and pig tails made me think she was related to Junko somehow. Regardless, it was fun to see Junko's insanity come back again!

Speaking of characters, I liked most of the characters here a lot more than the first game. I guess you could say I felt "despair" almost every time a character got killed, these guys seemed much more interesting to me. Two standouts to me are:

Chiaki: I'm gonna be honest, I liked her as soon as I had my first free time conversation with her. I didn't know what to expect in regards to the "Ultimate Gamer". As soon as she started talking about fucking Trio the Punch, I thought she was awesome (ps: seriously look up Trio the Punch, everyone needs to watch a runthrough of that game). But the game went beyond making her just a "loveable character", as I feel like the whole "she's an AI" twist made her a fairly tragic character, since in a sense, she's the only character whos truely dead (along with Usami and maybe Junko).

Nagito: Like a lot of people here, I expected Nagito to have some sort of relation to Makoto... but holy fuck at that first trial twist. That instantly made him in my book, especially that fucking laugh. He added a lot of tension to the game, and that murder plan of his in the 5th chapter was fucking insane!

P.S. Im glad I listened to ya PKGaming, totally worth buying this game at launch =). Now I can finally wander through the internet without getting my ass spoiled!

Venfayth

Monokuma's 'motives' paled in comparison to Nagito's insanity, when it comes to considering what actually made this game feel tense.

PK Gaming

I finished this game last night. Holy fuck, I did like the first game a lot, but as far as I'm concerned, Danganronpa 2 blew it out of the water! Seriously this is actually a game of the year contender for me! I'll collect my thoughts into something better later, but here are my general thoughts.

I liked the fact that the murder cases were more difficult than last time. With the first game, I usually knew who the killer was really early in the trial. This game was much better at hiding its logic, in several chapters I was actually blindsided by who the killer was until the trial was in its late stages!

I'm pretty glad I managed to avoid spoilers for this game, with the only thing being "spoiled" to me, was that Byakuya was in the game (and I didn't understand the context of the spoiler either, the ultimate imposter stuff threw me for a loop). Maybe I was just inattentive, but the vitirual reality twist really sucker punched me, despite the various hints towards it throughout the game. Probably the best twist in the game for me, it made me look at everything in a totally new light!

Also, I did totally expect Junko to be involved in this game somehow, but I didn't expect it to be in the form of an AI. I'm gonna be honest, hiyoko's shitty additude and pig tails made me think she was related to Junko somehow. Regardless, it was fun to see Junko's insanity come back again!

Speaking of characters, I liked most of the characters here a lot more than the first game. I guess you could say I felt "despair" almost every time a character got killed, these guys seemed much more interesting to me. Two standouts to me are:

Chiaki: I'm gonna be honest, I liked her as soon as I had my first free time conversation with her. I didn't know what to expect in regards to the "Ultimate Gamer". As soon as she started talking about fucking Trio the Punch, I thought she was awesome (ps: seriously look up Trio the Punch, everyone needs to watch a runthrough of that game). But the game went beyond making her just a "loveable character", as I feel like the whole "she's an AI" twist made her a fairly tragic character, since in a sense, she's the only character whos truely dead (along with Usami and maybe Junko).

Nagito: Like a lot of people here, I expected Nagito to have some sort of relation to Makoto... but holy fuck at that first trial twist. That instantly made him in my book, especially that fucking laugh. He added a lot of tension to the game, and that murder plan of his in the 5th chapter was fucking insane!

P.S. Im glad I listened to ya PKGaming, totally worth buying this game at launch =). Now I can finally wander through the internet without getting my ass spoiled!

I knew you'd love it

When I first played through DR2, whenever Chiaki would bring up hella obscure games, I'd go "yeah this totally reminds me of Theorymon."

Mdesilva

Did you guys all like Junko's return? While it's what makes Monokuka who he is, more or less, I thought it was pretty cheesy and not an exciting twist in a general sense.

DaBoss

Did you guys all like Junko's return? While it's what makes Monokuka who he is, more or less, I thought it was pretty cheesy and not an exciting twist in a general sense.
Why the hell was she a giant and talked through the phone...?

It was pretty lame.

kewlmyc

It's one of my minor gripes with the game. I understand why they did it, but I still think it's pretty lame. I hope this isn't a theme for the rest of the games going forward, bringing Junko back every game in some form. I wouldn't mind it if it was like Jojo and the main villains have some sort of relation to Junko, but something like AI Junko or Robot Junko is just lame.

Also, Komaeda is a terrible terrible human being, but that is what makes him very interesting as a character. He also has that disease which influences how he acts and his past is pretty fucked up. He's still my favorite character regardless because this game wouldn't be the same without him, which can't be said about a majority of the cast.

Lusankya

The trial of chapter 4 reminds me why I hate Sonia so much. Constantly asslicking Gundham, no matter what bullshit he says, but calling Souda a pest and imbecile if he does the same. Interrupting Hajime with her bullshit, but being mad when Souda interrupts Chiaki (for a much better reason). And the worst is that she's the one who constantly babbles about friendship and nobody should ever die and crying for the murderers and whatever, but then just outright wishing for Souda to be the killer ("Oh, what a shame", when
Chiaki explains to her, that he can't be the murderer).

I wish Mikan had killed her in chapter 3 instead of the superior character Saionji.

kewlmyc

The trial of chapter 4 reminds me why I hate Sonia so much. Constantly asslicking Gundham, no matter what bullshit he says, but calling Souda a pest and imbecile if he does the same. Interrupting Hajime with her bullshit, but being mad when Souda interrupts Chiaki (for a much better reason). And the worst is that she's the one who constantly babbles about friendship and nobody should ever die and crying for the murderers and whatever, but then just outright wishing for Souda to be the killer ("Oh, what a shame", when
Chiaki explains to her, that he can't be the murderer).

I wish Mikan had killed her in chapter 3 instead of the superior character Saionji.

I haven't seen someone who likes Saionji more than Sonia before. What makes Saionji a good character in your eyes?

I just beat the final chapter last night, and I gotta say, it's definitely one of the best games I've ever played. Top 10 material for sure.

My favourite character is pretty easy to guess, but I also ended up really liking Akane, Fuyuhiko and Kaz as well. I know a lot of people seem to hate the latter two especially for some reason, but I thought that they were multidimensional and well-written, even more so if you take the time to go through their Free Time Events.

I'd say my only real gripes with the game are the fact that The Ultimate Impostor seems like a massive cop-out that reverses the awesome character development that I thought Byakuya went through and ends up being almost entirely irrelevant to the story, and Mikan's incredibly lame execution. Other than that, it was a blast and I'd gladly wipe my memory just to experience it fresh again.

RIP, Gundam. You were too good for this world.

tumblr_mqpg8mlRyO1swx16go1_1280.jpg

Rubedo

Monokuma's 'motives' paled in comparison to Nagito's insanity, when it comes to considering what actually made this game feel tense.

Yeah one thing that I noticed was that the motives for Chapter 3 and 4 were very different from any prior motives.

In the first game and first two chapters of the second, the motives were things that triggered an emotional response in hopes that it push someone into murder.

In Chapters 3 and 4, he set it up where they were physically forced to kill rather than influenced through some special incentive.

Mikan only killed because a virus essentially changed who she was by revertingher to her "real" self. She would not have made that decision on her own if her personality wasn't hijacked.

In Chapter 4, the option was kill or starve to death. This makes them forced to kill someone out of the need to live rather than any personal reason.

kewlmyc

I just beat the final chapter last night, and I gotta say, it's definitely one of the best games I've ever played. Top 10 material for sure.

My favourite character is pretty easy to guess, but I also ended up really liking Akane, Fuyuhiko and Kaz as well. I know a lot of people seem to hate the latter two especially for some reason, but I thought that they were multidimensional and well-written, even more so if you take the time to go through their Free Time Events.

I'd say my only real gripes with the game are the fact that The Ultimate Impostor seems like a massive cop-out that reverses the awesome character development that I thought Byakuya went through and ends up being almost entirely irrelevant to the story, and Mikan's incredibly lame execution. Other than that, it was a blast and I'd gladly wipe my memory just to experience it fresh again.

RIP, Gundam. You were too good for this world.
Indeed.

LAA

Beat it yesterday!
I have to say I think the twists in this game were much better/unpredictable than the first, the first in fact barely felt like twists, only the Junko you first met wasnt really Junko, that was it really.

The 2nd wowed me with "Nagito's suicide", I was starting to think about it, but then the fire grenades come into it. That was genius to me...
I pretty much suspected it was a virtual world since the beginning, with all those effects...I find it hard to believe someone didn't at least suspect that since the beginning. Hajime's true identity and the ultimate despair and etc, So very pleased with the story/twists in this game. Even gameplay too, wasnt sure I'd like the 2D navigation, since it seemed like a step back from a fully 3D world before, but it wasnt totally gone and 2D was more useful to exploring large islands anyway.

Only thing about it were the trials to me which disappointed me more overall really. Not quite because of the additions/gameplay, more just I found it hard to answer the questions and it seemed less eager to offer hints unlike the first.

Overall though, enjoyed it. It is definitely a step up, from the first in most ways, I think only the first was better in terms of trials...in giving you more of a nudge towards the answer. Also not sure about characters. Felt more attached to the first game's characters, but perhaps that because I've spent more time with the first game so far.

Here's my character ranking, BTW:

Gundam Tier:

Gundam Tanaka

Ultimate Tier:

Akane Owari
Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu
Chiaki Nanami

Super Tier:

Kazuichi "Kaz" Souda
Sonia Nevermind
Hajime Hinata
Ibuki Mioda
Nekomaru Nidai

Good Tier:

Teruteru Hanamura
Peko Pekoyama
Mahiru Koizumi
Fake Byakuya Togami

Big, Gaping Chasm of Quality

Garbage Tier:

Mikan Tsumiki
Hiyoko Saionji

I Don't Even Know How To Rank This Character Tier:

Nagito Komaeda

Executions:

1. Deep-Fried Teruteru (The music for this one is my favourite in the series, and the visuals are stunning in more than one way)
2. Gundam Falls to the Earth (A fitting end for the best character. After all his talk of Hell, he still wound up in heaven T^T)
3. Please Insert Coin (As despair-inducing as it was, this one was amazingly creative and soul-crushingly cruel)
4. One-Woman Army (The thematic elements were awesome, but the execution itself was a bit plain and visually uninteresting)
5. Bye-Bye Ouchies (What even is this pig barf)

I didn't like it. Junko had her turn to be crazy, so someone else should have been given a shot. It also kind of cements the "monokuma=Junko" thing, so they might not even bring the bear back for 3 and give us some other insane mascot.

LiK

Why the hell was she a giant and talked through the phone...?

It was pretty lame.

I didn't like it. Junko had her turn to be crazy, so someone else should have been given a shot. It also kind of cements the "monokuma=Junko" thing, so they might not even bring the bear back for 3 and give us some other insane mascot.

dayam, i disagree. i loved her return. the big girl jokes killed me and i really liked her using that fancy phone as an excuse to bring back her portraits. it was great, imo. she IS Monokuma so i dunno who else would be her "final form".

also, her English VA is the best so that's another reason i was glad she returned.

Did anyone else catch the ridiculously high number of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure references in this game? I think I counted 19 total by the time the credits rolled, and it's insane that they either kept them all intact for the localization or added more in the process.

So, are you guys going to wait for AE to come out here or are you going to spoil yourself?
If there will be a nice walkthrough like the one for DR2 I'll probably read, in order not to get spoiled before the actual release.

I follow a bunch of Japanese artists on Twitter. I'm probably going to get spoiled and I don't really care, lol

Eh, it makes sense with the whole setting of the game so I don't really mind that.

I just imagine there's really no way for Junko to come back in DR3 unless they introduce an Ultimate Spirit Medium.

Rubedo

Did anyone else catch the ridiculously high number of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure references in this game? I think I counted 19 total by the time the credits rolled, and it's insane that they either kept them all intact for the localization or added more in the process.

I noticed ORA ORA ORA and Nekomaru basically being a walking JoJo. That's what I can think of off the top of my head. What else is there?

Eh, it makes sense with the whole setting of the game so I don't really mind that.

I just imagine there's really no way for Junko to come back in DR3 unless they introduce an Ultimate Spirit Medium.

Yeah I didn't mind Junko a second time but a third time would be very dull. Maybe DR3 could have Monokuma but instead of Junko, it's an admirer who wants to recreate what she tried with the whole mutual killing thing.

LiK

I noticed ORA ORA ORA and Nekomaru basically being a walking JoJo. That's what I can think of off the top of my head. What else is there?

Yeah I didn't mind Junko a second time but a third time would be very dull. Maybe DR3 could have Monokuma but instead of Junko, it's an admirer who wants to recreate what she tried with the whole mutual killing thing.

Junko also did that Dio pose as one of portraits. Although, that was also in the first game.

As for DR3, I think we have a lot of potential with the FF fighting Despairs out there. Seems like there is a lot of potential for stuff that doesn't involve Junko/Monokuma directly.

Rubedo

Junko also did that Dio pose as one of portraits. Although, that was also in the first game.

As for DR3, I think we have a lot of potential with the FF fighting Despairs out there. Seems like there is a lot of potential for stuff that doesn't involve Junko/Monokuma directly.

Oh yeah I forgot about that one.

And though there may not be Junko in the third one, I would still bet there will be Monokuma in some form. He's the series mascot.

WELL

Here are the ones off the top of my head. I'll upload my entire photo gallery later, which includes snapshots of every reference I caught.

-Teruteru suggesting that you can tell if someone's lying by tasting their sweat references how Bruno Bucciarati used that same method to interrogate Giorno near the beginning of Vento Aureo
-Monokuma outright summons Rohan Kishibe's Stand, Heaven's Door, to punish Monomi. The name of the CGI in the event viewer is even called "Heaven's Door."
-When Ibuki is going off on a tangent about the possibility of a hidden passageway in the Twilight Syndrome school, she shouts "TWIGHT'S HIDDEN PASSAGEWAYS ARE THE GREATEST IN THE WORLD!" which mirror Von Stroheim's catchphrase of "GERMANY'S X IS THE GREATEST IN THE WORLD!"
-Monokuma performs Star Platinum's ORAORAORA attack in order to punish Monomi once, but the end result (Monomi flying into a trashcan) is a reference to how the same thing happened to Cioccolata in Vento Aureo after being subjected to a similar punch barrage.
-AI Junko predicts a line from Fuyuhiko and prefaces it with "Ooh! I know this one! Your next line will be..." similar to Joseph Joestar's favourite trick.
-Speaking of Fuyuhiko and Joseph, Baby Gangsta paraphrases Joseph's infamous "What did you say? Depending on your answer..." line when fingered as a suspect in Chapter 1.
-Akane uses Dio's MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA battle cry when duelling Nekomaru in Chapter 2.
-One of Mechamaru's sprites is identical to one of Von Stroheim's signature poses.
-One of Chiaki's pep talks in Chapter 5 or 6 (can't remember which one) is a paraphrasing of one of FF's speeches in Stone Ocean.
-Ibuki refers to herself as having "Star Fingers" at one point, which may or may not be referring to Star Platinum's move of the same name.
-Monokuma quotes Gyro Zeppeli from Steel Ball Run verbatim in Chapter 4, even ending his speech with Gyro's distinctive "Nyohoho!" laugh.
-Hajime wonders if Gundam's Four Dark Devas of Destruction are some form of Stand in some optional dialogue.

kewlmyc

In one of the mangas, DanganRonpa/Zero is used as a source. I wonder if that means we'll get it here in someway officially.

LiK

Any good English guides for the Island Mode ticket trips? This is taking forever trying to see which response is the best. The Japanese guide translates all weird in Google Translate.

pariah164

Any good English guides for the Island Mode ticket trips? This is taking forever trying to see which response is the best. The Japanese guide translates all weird in Google Translate.
It does, but it's still pretty easy to figure out. Mostly. Worse comes to worse, save before the event, and if you fuck it up, reload and do it again.

LiK

It does, but it's still pretty easy to figure out. Mostly. Worse comes to worse, save before the event, and if you fuck it up, reload and do it again.

ugh, that's why it's taking forever. maybe i'll wait a bit before going for Plat then.

Vylash

i adored it, it was a great and unexpected twist, hope they find a way to bring her back for the third game

Mdesilva

Also for the ending, with a lot of the other twists (Ikuzu, Ultimate Despair, the whole matrix thing and the ending), I'm sorta mixed on how they leave a lot of it to your imagination. I get that it's supposed to be sorta open for thought and they don't really need to fully show you anything, but I sorta want/need that sometimes, some sort of visual or something to see these things happening live in the game. But that's definitely a matter of personal opinion, and isn't limited to this game. I just woulda liked to see some of these things happen rather than be told them, you know?

I'm not saying I don't like the game or its ending by any means, but… I sort of felt like I was missing something.

Gazoinks

Just finished this morning. Fantastic game, definitely a big improvement over the last and a big GOTY contender. Ch 5 in particular was incredible. Gonna jump right into Island Mode and work on everyone's Report Cards.

I asked this in the main thread as well, but did I miss something (I haven't done his Card) or is Nagito's similarity to Makoto just a gigantic red herring? I mean his name, appearance, skill, etc. are all Makoto but it never really gets resolved.

So, when's the third game released? :p

It was kind of disappointing. I was hoping this game would expand on Ultimate Despair and have big evil dudes above even Junko, but nope it's just her again.

LX_Theo

Banned
I asked this in the main thread as well, but did I miss something (I haven't done his Card) or is Nagito's similarity to Makoto just a gigantic red herring? I mean his name, appearance, skill, etc. are all Makoto but it never really gets resolved.

I get the impression that he's supposed to demonstrate the potential negative ways that character could have manifested. The Ultimate Luck to Ultimate Hope concept, basically. I took it as a way to try and make clear that vying for hope wasn't an end all, be all answer. The similarities were probably intentional to emphasize that point. Then again, this is speculation on the point.

Gazoinks

I get the impression that he's supposed to demonstrate the potential negative ways that character could have manifested. The Ultimate Luck to Ultimate Hope concept, basically. I took it as a way to try and make clear that vying for hope wasn't an end all, be all answer. The similarities were probably intentional to emphasize that point. Then again, this is speculation on the point.

Yeah, that makes sense. I definitely got the thematic parallels, I guess I just expected it to have a story reason.

Nachos

I was not a fan at all, but then again, I always thought she was much better as comic relief than as a villain.

Supposedly it was all a coincidence at first, truly making him the ultimate lucky student.

Even though you could rearrange "Nagito Komaeda" into "Makoto Naegi da/this is Makoto Naegi," if you wrote Nagito's name in hiragana, both Nagito's and Makoto's names are written in kanji and with different characters completely (誠 苗木 for Makoto and 凪斗 狛枝 for Komaeda).

Once they stumbled upon that, though, I wouldn't be surprised if they just rolled with it.

Pics_nao

I actually knew about AI Junko the whole time, even before the game was announced for localization but even then that wasn't even one of the biggest twists in the game so I'm not too bothered by her return.

DaBoss

I feel like Nagito was there as a different way of interpreting hope and luck. The Ultimate Imposter does this as well, gives you a different way of interpreting Ultimate Affluent Progeny.
dayam, i disagree. i loved her return. the big girl jokes killed me and i really liked her using that fancy phone as an excuse to bring back her portraits. it was great, imo. she IS Monokuma so i dunno who else would be her "final form".

also, her English VA is the best so that's another reason i was glad she returned.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I like the fact she returned, but the way she returned was so lame.

Vylash

Also for the ending, with a lot of the other twists (Ikuzu, Ultimate Despair, the whole matrix thing and the ending), I'm sorta mixed on how they leave a lot of it to your imagination. I get that it's supposed to be sorta open for thought and they don't really need to fully show you anything, but I sorta want/need that sometimes, some sort of visual or something to see these things happening live in the game. But that's definitely a matter of personal opinion, and isn't limited to this game. I just woulda liked to see some of these things happen rather than be told them, you know?

I'm not saying I don't like the game or its ending by any means, but… I sort of felt like I was missing something.

It's the same situation as the first game, they leave a lot to interpretation and answer it in the sequel

I wonder in what capacity Junko will appear in Another Episode.

Gonna go out on a limb and say the kids will pilot a Junko mech for the final boss battle.

I wonder in what capacity Junko will appear in Another Episode.

Gonna go out on a limb and say the kids will pilot a Junko mech for the final boss battle.

Best final boss battle ever.

Maybe AI Junko again, someone has to be controlling all those partying Monokumas unless they are all self controlled now.

Top Bottom