• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

From the posts here it sounds like Dangan Ronpa 3 is confirmed? That's really exciting if true!

As a big announcement? Not really. But it was teased last year and they seem to be working on it. At the end of the DR: Another Episode's trailer during the SCEJ Vita press conference in 2013 it flashed a black screen that said "and also _3"

kWNTpK7.jpg

Really nervous about DR3. I'm convinced SDR2 is so good that it'll be a pain in the ass for them to beat.

todd360

As a big announcement? Not really. But it was teased last year and they seem to be working on it. At the end of the DR: Another Episode's trailer during the SCEJ Vita press conference in 2013 it flashed a black screen that said "and also _3"

kWNTpK7.jpg

Really nervous about DR3. I'm convinced SDR2 is so good that it'll be a pain in the ass for them to beat.

I don't think its even possible to beat the 5th chapters murder. Everyone potentially being the killer blew my mind.

Ok, so, what if the villain of DR3 is Junko but actually at the same time not Junko, and by that I mean someone that Junko brainwashed into being an exact replica of her

Also there's a Togami in the main cast again somehow don't even ask he just has to be there

FluxWaveZ

Ok, so, what if the villain of DR3 is Junko but actually at the same time not Junko, and by that I mean someone that Junko brainwashed into being an exact replica of her

Ew, no.

For a big bad, I had thought of Izuru, but that option went out the window with the ending. Speaking of which, it kind of bothered me that Hajime looked no different from his virtual self in the real world.

I wouldn't mind this.

But please no more Junko anymore. I don't mind them doing what Jojo does and have the villain has some sort of vague connection to Junko, but just not Junko herself.

Spoiler for the Kirigiri novels
Apparently she's the villain in the Kirigiri prequel novels as well. So in every DR related piece of media, Junko's the villain. Hopefully AE breaks this curse.

kWn02lm.png

Moonlight

Banned
Apparently she's the villain in the Kirigiri prequel novels as well. So in every DR related piece of media, Junko's the villain. Hopefully AE breaks this curse.
I don't really mind Junko being the villain in the prequel novels, assuming they're taking place during the Tragedy, as I'd imagine Kyoko to be the type to challenge people like Junko readily.

I'll only really have a big problem if Junko shows up as the bad guy in a game set chronologically after SDR2.

Rubedo

I wouldn't mind this.

But please no more Junko anymore. I don't mind them doing what Jojo does and have the villain has some sort of vague connection to Junko, but just not Junko herself.

You expected someone new but it was me, Junko!

Sadly, it's highly possible. Though I'm willing to let AE have another Junko as villain in some way as long as DR3 doesn't go that route.

Edit: Got ninja'd

I don't really mind Junko being the villain in the prequel novels, assuming they're taking place during the Tragedy, as I'd imagine Kyoko to be the type to challenge people like Junko readily.

I'll only really have a big problem if Junko shows up as the bad guy in a game set chronologically after SDR2.

Kyoko still hasn't damaged her hand iirc so it has to be before even Zero.

The novels take place while Kirigiri is like 13. So a couple years before the Tragedy.

pariah164

Cause I love fanart, here's a small collection of unused or fan created executions for some of the cast:

A list of unused executions for some of the cast. Includes Makoto from the first game and Matsuda from ZERO, so you can skip the last one.

Oddly enough, they don't have any for Nidai, Akane or Saionji so whatever I guess.

And here's fanart based off these executions.

And from the same wonderful artist, more fan created executions for the cast:
Runaway Souda
Lucky Dart Komaeda
Christmas Izuru
Hinata CIDER (My personal favorite)
That last one would be delicious
with some pancakes topped with Mondo Butter

Yes, that's a DR1 spoiler. I'm only marking it since if I don't, I know someone will bitch about it.

If Junko's arm/eyeball/ovaries survived being crushed by a trash compacter I'm sure they can squeeze in a brain transplant somewhere for the 3rd game.

Gazoinks

I'm honestly having a hard time figuring out what they're going to do with DR3. Obviously there's plot left in the FF stopping The Tragedy, but I'm not sure how they'll incorporate another killing game without it being forced.

I think I'd prefer it if they moved beyond a direct sequel, had it take place significantly after The Tragedy happened and have another person trying to start it up again or something. Probably not likely though.

kewlmyc

Kyoko still hasn't damaged her hand iirc so it has to be before even Zero.

It takes place when she's in middle school. When she's 13 years old.

Rubedo

I'm honestly having a hard time figuring out what they're going to do with DR3. Obviously there's plot left in the FF stopping The Tragedy, but I'm not sure how they'll incorporate another killing game without it being forced.

I think I'd prefer it if they moved beyond a direct sequel, had it take place significantly after The Tragedy happened and have another person trying to start it up again or something. Probably not likely though.

I was going to suggest a follower of Junko's might want to recreate the killing game but it doesn't have to be long after the Tragedy. It could just be that they want to fight back the hope that the FF is giving everyone.

Steel

Banned
Oh wow, that's weird.

It's also why I thought that Nagito was Makoto up until the middle of chapter 6. Felt like the chapter 0 bit where he talks about how much he hates Junko and yet has her arm attached to him proved the point.

I'm actually kinda disappointed that wasn't the case.

Ew, no.

For a big bad, I had thought of Izuru, but that option went out the window with the ending. Speaking of which, it kind of bothered me that Hajime looked no different from his virtual self in the real world.

While I wasn't being entirely serious with that, I can totally see Junko doing something like that at least as a form of making someone despair at the loss of their own identity

Also Hinata totally just got a haircut first thing after getting out :v

FluxWaveZ

Random idea: Perhaps the Future Foundation are on their way to restoring order, and to ensure something like The Tragedy never occurs again and blinded with power, they force Remnants of Despair to terminate each other in these killing games as a message to society at large? Sounds like something Ultimate Despairs would be into, though.

Also Hinata totally just got a haircut first thing after getting out :v

That's the silly thought that came to mind. First thing Hajime did when he got out of the VR was get a haircut and find the same clothes he wore in the VR before Makoto's crew left the island.

Moonlight

Banned
The novels take place while Kirigiri is like 13. So a couple years before the Tragedy.
Ahhh. Hrm. Not sure about that, in that case. If Junko is just the middle school stuck up bully, that'd be great, though.

I feel like there's a chance that we'll get a game with all of the Killing School game survivors thrown into one last killing game to try and kill off all possible threats to their agenda and finally prove a point that despair wins out over hope.

Then again, there's a certain appeal in the all-new casts of DR1 and DR2, and also it'd make me sad.

unless we get kazuichi and yasuhiro dead in a murder-suicide

kewlmyc

Prequel novel spoilers

So does Junko antagonize her as a 13 year old? Hahaha

Not sure, I'm going off what I've been told. Finding concrete spoilers for the Kirigiri noves is surprisingly hard.

Also, let's all be honest here: Who solved the red light puzzle in the Final Dead Room without Nagito doing it for you? I had no idea what to do with that one. The red lights were flashing in patterns that weren't even on the laptop.

Gazoinks

I was going to suggest a follower of Junko's might want to recreate the killing game but it doesn't have to be long after the Tragedy. It could just be that they want to fight back the hope that the FF is giving everyone.

Yeah, I could see it going in that direction. I'm still a bit sad that DR2 didn't reveal Ultimate Despair as being bigger than Junko, so I'm definitely in favor of a new antagonist. :p

I wonder what the setting will be this time! We've already done a school and an island, do you think they'll go even more open? Part of a city or something?

So, was there any in-universe reason why Chiaki was semi-narcoleptic? Why would you make a narcoleptic AI?

LX_Theo

Banned

Honestly... I get a feeling that the Future Foundation's leadership is going to be a lot like Nagito in terms of how they approach hope as a philosophy.

The easy way to employ another killing game as part of the plot... is for it to be intended to send a message. Broadcast it to the world. Bring people to the depths of despair, and to use that despair as a stepping stone for both the group of students and the world watching to make a huge leap into a level of hope that can reignite the world on a path of hope.

Steel

Banned
So, was there any in-universe reason why Chiaki was semi-narcoleptic? Why would you make a narcoleptic AI?

To make it seem less likely she was an AI?

Well, Chihiro didn't create her for that purpose so... That doesn't really work.

Gazoinks

Random idea: Perhaps the Future Foundation are on their way to restoring order, and to ensure something like The Tragedy never occurs again and blinded with power, they force Remnants of Despair to terminate each other in these killing games as a message to society at large? Sounds like something Ultimate Despairs would be into, though.

I like this. We've already established Makoto and buddies (Hiro and Hina are apparently too dumb to participate) are opposed to the extreme actions of the FF, so I think it'd work. Might be a bit too similar to the reveal of 2 though.

I'd like to see a sort of well-meaning antagonist though, even if well-meaning in this context means someone like Nagito.

Also, let's all be honest here: Who solved the red light puzzle in the Final Dead Room without Nagito doing it for you? I had no idea what to do with that one. The red lights were flashing in patterns that weren't even on the laptop.

I sort of knew what I had to do, but it was like 1:30 in the morning and I was feeling braindead so I had Nagito do it for me anyway. :p

kewlmyc

I was honestly thinking the next game would be some sort of "foreign exchange program" scenario and take place in another country.

CrazyDude

Yeah, I could see it going in that direction. I'm still a bit sad that DR2 didn't reveal Ultimate Despair as being bigger than Junko, so I'm definitely in favor of a new antagonist. :p

I wonder what the setting will be this time! We've already done a school and an island, do you think they'll go even more open? Part of a city or something?

Yeah I think a sectioned of city would make sense.

Gazoinks

(Relationship spoilers)

Bahaha,
Peko's last FT event. "I love you, Peko." "What?" "What?" Poor Hajime always going for the secretly hitman/crazy/AI/whatever girls.

Rubedo

So how did Hajime retain his memories and personality anyway? Was it because he merged the Izuru and Hajime personalities? Or did Chiaki help him somehow? Or just pure power of will?

Mdesilva

So how did Hajime retain his memories and personality anyway? Was it because he merged the Izuru and Hajime personalities? Or did Chiaki help him somehow? Or just pure power of will?
Just some unexplained miracle. Shutting the system didn't guarantee shit, but they figured they'd just take the shot because they believed they'd get a good outcome.

And I guess it somehow worked just because...?

todd360

The red lights got me as well. I had no idea if the games puzzle was shit or if I'm just stupid.

Steel

Banned
Just some unexplained miracle. Shutting the system didn't guarantee shit, but they figured they'd just take the shot because they believed they'd get a good outcome.

And I guess it somehow worked just because...?

Actually the way Makoto and the others were talking about it, I got the impression that they didn't actually know how it worked(they aren't really programmers anyway, well there's Alter Ego). They seemed to assume since graduation overwrote the host's current memory, then shutdown must revert their memory.

It actually makes more sense for them to retain their game memories(plus the Ultimate Despair memories) considering the whole point of, you know, their brains are plugged into the virtual world. I mean, that's the reason that their friends are really dead.

Edit:

The red lights got me as well. I had no idea if the games puzzle was shit or if I'm just stupid.

In my case I had trouble with the first code because I didn't find the compass for awhile. I was completely stumped on what NEWS meant. However, the 3rd code wasn't too bad. I wrote down the patterns from the laptop, and it made perfect sense once I looked at the blinking lights and assumed the quick double blink was a reset.

Top Bottom