• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Vamphuntr

Akane has no redeemable qualities. Even her ultimate ability was pretty much useless and got them into trouble rather than help them.

It's kind of idiotic that she's the ultimate gymnast but yet doesn't understand how to train or use her muscles properly.

Rubedo

I think it's weird how both the Ultimate Gymnast and Swimmer basically just eat really badly more than they demonstrate physical abilities.

I'm pretty sure that's part of the "joke". It's not a very uncommon trope either.

Yeah, a lot of people liked to say how DR2 was dramatically better than its predecessor, but I do not think so. Overall, I think I preferred DR2 slightly more because the classroom trials and cases were that much more engaging, but DR1 also had better qualities such as its novelty, its music and its setting.

It felt like DR2 wasn't quite as dark and gloomy as the first until the latter part of Chapter 4. Not that the first was grimdark or anything but it sort of made you realistically feel how terrible the notion of being trapped in a murder game like that is. DR2 had a brighter aesthetic, tons of more joke lines, constant sexual comments, and the fact that it was based in a resort rather than locked in a school. All that just made it feel generally lighter and like things weren't all that bad until stuff starts really getting serious after Nagito gets the info book.

Anyone else feel like the worst part of the ending are the characters that survived to see it? Fuyuhiko was OK, but everyone else was... Less than interesting, less than intelligent.

Nothing new though, look at the first game!

Then again, I did like/not completely detest more of the survivors in this game compared to the first game so slightly better!

MSMrRound

Danganronpa 2's minigames are a bit iffy, I'll consent with that, although I really like the Rebuttal Showdown.

What kinds of tip 2 over 1 for me was that the characters feel much more involved during class trials due to the mentioned Showdown and more. Cases are more complex, less easy to guess.

The fake-out with the opening prologue was great, and if not than ever, the game possesses more self-awareness, which led to more 4th wall breaking, which I enjoyed.

Trial 5 is still arguably my favourite trial of both games. Although we lost the strictly in first person thing, the five islands gave a more creative setting for the murders to happen.

Still waiting to see what else Kodaka and gang will come up with for Danganronpa 3.

Wishing that they can incorporate some sort of branching paths for the storyline...it would have been interesting to see...

Rubedo

It's kind of idiotic that she's the ultimate gymnast but yet doesn't understand how to train or use her muscles properly.

It's because she doesn't actually care about her talent at all. She just tried gymnastics for the money and happened to have a natural knack for it.

DaBoss

For me, DR2's mini-games are really the things that bring the game down by a good amount. Pretty much everything else was satisfactory and surpasses the first game.

And yea, the locations not being limited to a highschool made for a more interesting setting.
She said she only does it for money.

kewlmyc

The only minigame I really hated was "Improved" Hangman's Gambit. Fuck that piece of shit especially on Mean difficulty.

LX_Theo

Banned
The only minigame I really hated was "Improved" Hangman's Gambit. Fuck that piece of shit especially on Mean difficulty.

Agreed.

Rebuttal showdown was good. Logic dive was okay and had its moments. (Improved) Hangman's Gambit was just frustrating and actually just mean on mean difficulty.

Vylash

DR2's minigames were perfectly fine once i got the hang of them, except for the closing argument, they made that pretty annoying, my main issue with rebuttal showdown is that it's too fast paced and i don't have time to really sit back and review evidence since i have to keep slashing

Rubedo

Oh yes. The old version was boring but at least it wasn't pure frustration.

One thing I didn't like about the trials was that there were several Non-Stop Debates where there wasn't really an indication of what piece of info you were trying to put out there. So even if you already know exactly how it happened, you can still lose a good deal of points by just not knowing what exactly you're supposed to be looking for.

Mdesilva

Yeah, a lot of people liked to say how DR2 was dramatically better than its predecessor, but I do not think so. Overall, I think I preferred DR2 slightly more because the classroom trials and cases were that much more engaging, but DR1 also had better qualities such as its novelty, its music and its setting.
Yeah, without spoiling too much of my opinion (I have to review this game, lol), it's definitely overrated. I still really liked it, but it's not leagues above DR1 or anything. I'd say it's probably a good bit better, but has its fair share of flaws for sure.

Sorian

Banned
Finished last night and spent a lot of time reading through this thread today. I'm sure I'll post impressions in the coming days.

DR2's minigames were perfectly fine once i got the hang of them, except for the closing argument, they made that pretty annoying, my main issue with rebuttal showdown is that it's too fast paced and i don't have time to really sit back and review evidence since i have to keep slashing

How odd, I think closing argument is the one thing they fixed perfectly.

Moonlight

Banned
Hangman's Gambit was fucking nonsense. I'd have hated it less if they didn't for some unfathomable reason, get rid of the hint letters. Half the time I was shooting in the dark for what I was supposed to write until I finally wrote out like a full word.

Logic Dive was radical as fuck, even if the very last one destroyed me. Rebuttal Showdown was a little messy, but I like it in concept, even if practice left a little to be desired. After I got used to PTA, I dug it, though. Fever Time is totally OP in it. :lol

Nachos

Wishing that they can incorporate some sort of branching paths for the storyline...it would have been interesting to see...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that what they were aiming for, back when the game was called DISTRUST?

FluxWaveZ

Oh, and now that I've finished, I gotta say that Nagito Komaeda being one big red herring in relation to Makoto Naegi is a bit frustrating. The "Ultimate Lucky Student" talent, along with his name being an anagram with "da" added to it, his looks, his general attitude before the first classroom trial, his aspiration to be the "Ultimate Hope" as well as Monokuma often saying he reminded them of Makoto were all just weird misdirection.

It makes his attitude shift, his death and Makoto's involvement more shocking, I suppose, but I feel it's a bit of a cheap way of doing that. I was fine with Byakuya being the Ultimate Imposter as a twist compared to that. Ah well, he's still the best character in the game (I kind of feel that being a red herring to Makoto was unnecessary because of that).

Phocks

I couldn't stomach some characters because they were so bad. Hyoko, Souda, Nagito, Nekomaru, Mikan, Akane and Fuuyuhiko (pre-Peko's execution) were insufferable. I'm not sure how a character that keeps talking about taking a shit got in the game. Maybe the script editor was absent that day or something.

I also thought there was way too much creepy pervert crap in the game compared to the first. In the last trial they even mention people having sex with Junko's corpse or how some people wanted to see Sonia pee in her pants. Jesus. Seems it's hard to make an ace attorney like game without that kind of crap.
In regards to the vulgarities and innuendo there certainly was an increase. It's not necessarily a bad thing. This game has just embraced the mature rating. The characters cursing makes the dialog feel more natural. The amount of prude complaints toward the sexual themes is lame. Taking a shit feels good don't diss that.

Nachos

In regards to the vulgarities and innuendo there certainly was an increase. It's not necessarily a bad thing. This game has just embraced the mature rating. The characters cursing makes the dialog feel more natural. The amount of prude complaints toward the sexual themes is lame. Taking a shit feels good don't diss that.

It's funny, because I'm pretty sure 2 even got a lower age rating than 1 did in Japan.

DaBoss

Should be noted I played the game in mean difficulty.

I don't get the controls for the Rebuttal Showdown. Do I use just the left stick? Do I press X to? Do I need a specific blade to cut through the normal words (this was probably talked about, but I didn't notice a difference, and I've always seemed to get the right blade for the highlighted words)? I just know that triangle is what I need to press to cut up the highlighted words.

Logic Dive wasn't bad, it was kinda hard to read the text at times.

PTA had terrible instructions, but after that, it can be considered easier BTB, but when they added reloading to PTA, I had much more trouble. It was easier to reload and shoot since you weren't limited to one or the other in BTB. Also, the whole ending thing in PTA was just odd, but it wasn't too bad except for "meant on the bone"..."bone on the meat"..."on the meat bone".

The agreeing thing added to Non-Stop Debates is a great idea.

(Improved) Hangman's Gambit can just go to hell. It is so slooooooooooow and takes forever for certain letters to appear. And it is so easy to lose health on this as well since letters may JUST appear on the edge of the screen and hit a letter that was going towards it. At one point, I think 8-10 pairs of letters appeared all at once coming from all sides.

Closing Argument was good. No complaints here.

Steel

Banned
Nothing new though, look at the first game!

Then again, I did like/not completely detest more of the survivors in this game compared to the first game so slightly better!

Hey, I liked Byakua and Kirigiri and found they were interesting. Genocide Jill actually consistently made trials more interesting. Hiro and Asahina could just jump off a cliff for all I care.

Fuyuhiko was interesting because of his character growth, but he plateaued on that front in chapter four, and remained static for the rest of it, and he normally just brings up common sense points in the class trials. He's definitely the only one of the survivors that I actually liked.

Sonia was interesting because it always felt like she was smarter than she let on, like she was preparing for a kill, but when that never happens it feels like a wasted opportunity. In the end, she makes a lot of poor(Sometimes borderline stupid) arguments in class trials and shows off how little common sense she has consistently, it's also disappointing that her character doesn't really change at all throughout the game(beyond the occasional swearing like a sailor that gave hints of something beneath the surface).

She's a bit more tolerable than Kazuichi, whose arguements are about as intelligent as Sonia's but only has one main character trait: He loves Sonia.

I will admit, however, Sonia's a large step up from Akane(Basically the female version of hiro). Akane gets angry easily, eats a lot, and brings up absolutely stupid points in the class trial. As a character, she never changes at all. She liked Nekomaru, that's it, end of story.

There were a lot of fairly intelligent characters, but they were all killed off until, in the end, the last trial just felt like a stand off between Junko and Hajime, with occasional humor provided by the other participants, and Makoto and the others playing cheer leader. On the other hand, the last trial in DR 1 felt like a group effort with Kirigiri and Byakua backing you up on the main points while Asahina was a cheerleader and Genocide Jack played the humor. Hiro... Yeah, he could jump off a cliff, no one would care.

I also thought there was way too much creepy pervert crap in the game compared to the first. In the last trial they even mention people having sex with Junko's corpse or how some people wanted to see Sonia pee in her pants. Jesus. Seems it's hard to make an ace attorney like game without that kind of crap.

Apparently in the Japanese version, it was only implied that someone took her ovaries (likely Mikan) as one of the people that attached a part of her body to themselves.

MSMrRound

He would be just as hilarious if he died in chapter 1.

tumblr_inline_muoom9ZDdy1s1ndph.png

Zephyx

I do feel as though they left a lot less BIG questions left unanswered this time.

I still have a few big questions in mind that I hope they can answer on the sequel:

1. Who is the leader of FF? What is their actual goal once the despair ends? Basically, all info regarding FF's members except DR1 survivors and how they got the research of the Ultimates to create the NWP are missing.
2. What happened to the DR2 cast before and after the game?
3. What does the outside world really look like?
4. How did Monokuma exist in the first place? Is he really just a mascot for despair?
5. There is this statement by Monokuma in Chapter 5 regarding talents: As long as you can pass the talents to someone or something like that.. What does it actually mean? I just thought of it as a hint to the plans described in Chapter 6. Could be a plot point next game though

At this point, I'm very excited for DR3. I hope they do something different with the killings this time as there seems to be a lot of possibilities with how the current rules are setup.

He would be just as hilarious if he died in chapter 1.

He can die at any point in the game and I won't still give a damn. I put him in the same tier as Kazuichi (maybe) and Akane for being useless, shallow and just flat out sucked in character design.

Rubedo

I feel like I am the only one who liked Hiro.

I like him, I'm just not crazy about him. He's more like a funny joke character instead of one of the "oh I can really identify with this guy emotionally" characters that people talk about more.

Although, if he hadn't been one of the final six, he probably would have been very forgettable. But he was allowed to shine more as the numbers dwindled.

PK Gaming

I'm surprised that you feel way.

To me, SDR2 is a huge improvement DR1 on just about every aspect, to the point where I'd sooner replay SDR2 twice before replaying DR1 once. The graphics and art design were much better. Character sprites were much better drawn, backgrounds were more distinct and vibrant, and each location stood out. I know DR1's setting lent its the atmosphere, but a decent amount of locations felt samey or unremarkable.

As far as gameplay is concerned, it's a 4 steps forward, 1 step back kind of a deal. Little things like being able to agree with with others and support their arguments went a long way towards mixing up the trial flow. The new minigames were hit and miss, but personally I liked the snowboarding minigame, found the new anagram minigame to be fun (but I concede that going for a perfect on higher difficulties is a huge pain) and I adored showdowns. (Seriously, showdowns are fucking awesome if you had the right skills) Oh and skills actually served a purpose this time around. They were actually pretty diverse (too many of the first game's skills were useless or redundant) and more *fun*. Generally, the pacing for each trial was much better in SDR2. There's less stupid nonsense overall (remember the "Kyoko is a ghost! testimony?") and far less padding (see Chapter 6's trial). SDR2 also benefits from the fact that the first chapter is fully-fledged chapter, whereas DR1's first chapter was a tutorial.

In terms of characters, SDR2 is super duper despair-inducingly better than DR1. The problem with the DR1 cast was that most of the characters simply did not have enough time to stand out. Most of their development was found in their FTE, whereas the SDR2 characters get development in the main narrative and the free time events, so it was like having 2 big scoops of icecream for the price of one. And honestly? Pound for pound they're just much, much better. Hajime >>> Makoto, Nagito >>> all of the DR1 antagonists, etc.

A big thing set SDR2 apart from DR1 in terms of characters was the presence of a "rival character. "DR1 didn't really have a rival character. At least, nowhere near the same extent as Komaeda. Komaeda completely, completely changes the dynamic of each chapter. He added a ton of tension and intrigue to each trial, by himself. In terms of supporting protagonists, i'd argue that Kyoko 's presence (while awesome) ended up being slightly detrimental, because there was rarely a point in the game where you felt were forging new ground. Many of the conclusions Makoto reached were also reached by Kyoko. You ended up feeling more of a helper than an actual sleuth. On the other hand, Hajime comes up with many of the major deductions by himself, and while Chiaki helps out tremendously, it never feels like she's setting the pace for the trial. Junko is much better in the second game, and her defeat felt a lot more satisfying.

SDR2 isn't perfect, and it suffers from many of the same flaws as the first game, but damn, it just makes the first game feel downright underwhelming by comparison. It really earns that Super prefix.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Just finished the game, and I'll write some stuff later after I finish letting it sink in. It was a wild ride for sure.

Chiaki... ;_;

MSMrRound

This is fine too...

"Hagakure is a contestant on a quiz show set. Before him there are 3 doors labeled ‘A’, ‘B’, and ‘C’. There is a 1/3 probability that one is an execution. Hagakure tries to enter the ‘A’ door. The door grows hands and feet and escapes. ‘B’ does the same thing. Only door ‘C’ is left. He isn’t willing, but a mouth appears on the door and eats him. This execution is shown in the Official Fanbook."

Moonlight

Banned
SDR2 isn't perfect, and it suffers from many of the same flaws as the first game, but damn, it just makes the first game feel downright underwhelming by comparison. It really earns that Super prefix.
+1

I loved Danganronpa 1, but the places that DR2 went to and the overall strength of its' characters impacted me incredibly hard.

Improvements?
I love how Peko looks with short-hair, and Mikan actually looks better with longer hair, too. Akane and Hiyoko look pretty good there, too. Not sure on Ibuki short-haired, though. It works but it doesn't, y'know, work. At least, IMO. I don't really like Chiaki with long hair, or Mahiru, for that matter.

So, ever since I created super moves for every student in a hypothetical fighting game based on DR1, I've received multiple requests both on GAF and off to give DR2 a similar treatment. Problem was, since I hadn't played the game yet, I felt that I couldn't create moves that adequately did the cast justice.

BUT I CAN NOW!

So here you go, my list of hypothetical supers for a hypothetical Danganronpa 2 fighting game. DQCF is shorthand for "double quarter circle forward," by the way. Hope you enjoy!

Vamphuntr

You don't need perverted nonsense for your game to be mature though. Games like Mother 3 are actually fairly serious stories and adult stories without much vulgarities. Here it seems they kept adding perverted stuff for the sake of it.

There's so many I stopped counting. You have Mikan's show it all tripping posture, Akane's mentioning how her stepmother's boyfriend is molesting her, Ibuki making a statue of her boobs, Souda talking about moe garbage and lolis, Sonia's penetration innuendos, the weird penis jokes during the fifth trials, the necrophilia mention and so on.

I can tolerate the usual bathing scene because it seems every Japanese RPG needs one but I seriously felt annoyed here by the sheer amount of perverted crap.

To be fair, the necrophilia mention (if that is indeed what it is and not a mistranslation) was definitely NOT meant to be taken as fanservice. Just there to show how fucked up Ultimate Despair is, and I thought it was damn effective in that regard.

Rubedo

To be fair, the necrophilia mention (if that is indeed what it is and not a mistranslation) was definitely NOT meant to be taken as fanservice. Just there to show how fucked up Ultimate Despair is, and I thought it was damn effective in that regard.

Whoa whoa whoa.

Who took that as fanservice? The only reaction I can imagine anyone having to that is taking a step back of saying what the fuck.

Whoa whoa whoa.

Who took that as fanservice? The only reaction I can imagine anyone having to that is taking a step back of saying what the fuck.

Well that's the word that jumps to mind when someone uses "perverted nonsense" in the context of anime-ish things.

Rubedo

Well that's the word that jumps to mind when someone uses "perverted nonsense" in the context of anime-ish things.

Yeah but ones more like cringe at how awkward it is and the other is cringe at how horrifying and gruesome it is. Very different feelings.

The fact that the game was loaded with sex jokes and more light-hearted activities (A party, a concert, two beach swims, finding an amusement park, etc.) made me feel like the tone was overall not nearly as dark as the first but then all those reveals in Chapter 6 took that expectation and slapped me in the face with it. Chapter 6 fucked with me and left me wanting to know so much more about Ultimate Despair.

All of this Kazuichi hate kills me. I'm not going to try to justify his behavior towards Sonia, but otherwise I really liked him. He was pretty terrified for much of the game, but I'd imagine that's how most people would probably react in this sort of situation. His talent is definitely one of the more useful ones in the group too. I know this goes for pretty much all of the characters (not really for Hiyoko), but his Free Time Events made him significantly more sympathetic. His final event in particular I thought was super sweet and did a great job of making me feel that he and Hajime were good friends. Of course, I'm also the kind of person who was happy that Hagakure survived, so maybe these kinds of characters just appeal to me.

I agree that a lot of the gameplay additions in DR2 suck. The new Hangman's Gambit is the definition of pace killer. I can't even believe they thought it was a good idea. Logic Dive sort of breaks up the pace, but at least it's fun. On the other hand, I love being able to consent with other arguments, and I really liked the Rebuttal Showdowns (especially the awesome music). These additions made the Nonstop Debates way better.

All of this Kazuichi hate kills me. I'm not going to try to justify his behavior towards Sonia, but otherwise I really liked him. He was pretty terrified for much of the game, but I'd imagine that's how most people would probably react in this sort of situation. His talent is definitely one of the more useful ones in the group too. I know this goes for pretty much all of the characters (not really for Hiyoko), but his Free Time Events made him significantly more sympathetic. His final event in particular I thought was super sweet and did a great job of making me feel that he and Hajime were good friends. Of course, I'm also the kind of person who was happy that Hagakure survived, so maybe these kinds of characters just appeal to me.

I agree that a lot of the gameplay additions in DR2 suck. The new Hangman's Gambit is the definition of pace killer. I can't even believe they thought it was a good idea. Logic Dive sort of breaks up the pace, but at least it's fun. On the other hand, I love being able to consent with other arguments, and I really liked the Rebuttal Showdowns (especially the awesome music). These additions made the Nonstop Debates way better.

I wouldn't really compare Hagakure to Souda on the sympathy scale. The former asked Makoto for his organs while the later saw Hajime as an actual friend, even if he became suspicious of him in a bleak situation where anyone with just a bit of paranoia would feel the same.

Also, apparently Souda is based off Kodaka, the author of the series, so there's that.

Soda's cool when he's being buddies with Hajime and playing the straight man role to the cast of crazies. Oh, and his terrified reactions are funny every time.

He just lays the whole Sonia thing on too thick too often. It's really weird and not particularly funny most of the time (well the bone structure thing is kinda funny). He has enough good moments that this doesn't weigh him down to my "actively-dislike tier," though.

Vylash

The whole "shivering coward" character is just insufferable in these types of games, Kazuichi and Hiro were on equal tiers of "for the love of god please kill them"

Moonlight

Banned
I probably would have laid off Kazuichi if he ever once conceded he was being creepy with Sonia. He never, ever learned his lesson, even when Sonia was dropping pretty much all pretenses with him. He was clingy and weird about her, and it constantly came up - when Sonia straight up starts insulting him, he starts trying to egg her on to calling him a 'fucking pig'. Like, holy shit, dude. Get a grip.

I wouldn't really compare Hagakure to Souda on the sympathy scale. The former asked Makoto for his organs while the later saw Hajime as an actual friend, even if he became suspicious of him in a bleak situation where anyone with just a bit of paranoia would feel the same.

Also, apparently Souda is based off Kodaka, the author of the series, so there's that.

Yeah, Hagakure said some pretty messed up things, but I was glad he made it to the end because he wasn't the kind of person I'd expected to make it to the end.

Kazuichi's final event deals with the fact that he betrayed Hajime, which was a plotline the main story sort of forgot about. Seeing the resolution to that did a lot for him, I think. The Sonia obsession was absolutely something I could have done without. A simple crush would have been fine, but they seriously overdid that element of his character.

It's definitely Souda's obsession with Sonia that turns me off.

It wasn't even all that funny like Toko's obsession with Togami.

Then again, Sonia was likable so I though it was creepy, while Togami was a prick so it was funny.

The moment they joked about Kazuichi becoming the first victim I knew he was staying the long haul, though I kinda wish he hadn't. He's probably the least interesting character in the bunch.

But I feel so bad about Chiaki! I was watching youtube videos after I beat Danganronpa 1 and I saw a tetris block in a thumbnail for related videos out of the corner of my eye. After that I avoided anything related to the series for fear of spoilers, but I spent the ENTIRE game hypervigilant of everything she did or said. I was convinced she was the killer for the 4th trial, since I forgot about the secret passage and figured that only one of the Grape house people could kill Mechamaru.

But the 5th trial, and the end of the game... I felt so bad that I had no faith in her.

LX_Theo

Banned
Why I didn't like Kazuichi... He felt like a three note character. It always felt like he was either freaking out over something, doing something stupid, or obsessing over Sonia. It really did come across as creepy, given how much she basically turned him down subtly. I never did his free time events, so I won't comment too strongly, but what I saw of him just annoyed me.

Zephyx

Why I didn't like Kazuichi... He felt like a three note character. It always felt like he was either freaking out over something, doing something stupid, or obsessing over Sonia. It really did come across as creepy, given how much she basically turned him down subtly. I never did his free time events, so I won't comment too strongly, but what I saw of him just annoyed me.

I still didn't like him after his free time events as I felt the things he experienced were pretty shallow compared to the others. I can see where his despair was born though.

Top Bottom