• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

They said that? DR:AE didn't look too hot from the little I've seen of it (mainly from the SCEJ conferences).

The gameplay looks rough, but I expect the story and characters to be awesome as usual.

With kids as the presumed villains and zero restraint on the state of the world, it's kinda like a no holds barred of allowing your creativity to run wild.

Evil children are always the most fucked up of them all.

LiK

Man, even in Island mode, Nagito is a creepy ass creep. Probably the creepiest character in video games. If ppl wanna design a real creep, just check out Nagito.

petghost

Banned
Interesting that Kodaka has so much faith in Another Episode to the point he doesn't know if he'll be able to make a game as good ever again. Wouldn't expect an action-oriented spin-off (from a non-action developer no less) to have a mind-blowing story, but I guess we'll see.

how much do we know about the gameplay of AE? because while it sure looks like a pretty bad 3rd person shooter from the trailers, i really like the idea of using the different truth bullets for interacting with the environment/enemies/potentially solving some kind of puzzle ie in one trailer the mc shoots a car to set it in motion. if the game is full of that kind of stuff i can dig it.

Nagito says that but that doesn't make it true. He just heavily believes in his luck. I think some of the things that happen to him amount to either coincidence (stranger things have happened in the real world) and the fact that it's a simulation.

His luck so strongly affected things around him during his time in Hope's Peak that the mere mention of him made the school board that was strongly considering stopping the Ultimate Luck program completely reconsider. Not to mention all the shit he went through before even getting into Hope's Peak.

PK Gaming

1. Makoto definitely has an affinity towards Hope's Peak. He was proud that he was able to go there, and he researches and discusses all of the newly admitted to the high school (which, coincidentally, Nagito does as well).

2. They have different obsessions with "hope", but Makoto is the "Ultimate Hope" for a reason. The last segment of the final case in DR1 pretty much shows his thoughts about hope vs. despair, and Makoto straight up says that he understands Nagito in DR2 because they both have the same goals, but with wildly different means.

There are subtle statements such as the mother statement that point away from Nagito being Makoto, but then there are also subtle statements such as Nagito being worried that they are being kept on an island in order to kill each other at the beginning of the game, before the Killing School Trip starts. Again, he's deliberately designed to be a red herring, which becomes more evident as the game progresses.

ZemomPC.png

1. At no point does he ever explicitly state he's proud of being able to go Hope's Peak Academy. All signs point to him feeling out of place/wary about going there.

Makoto: (Honestly, I would have been better off just declining the offer. But after hearing that graduating was a "guarantee for success" later in life, I couldn't just say no.

Makoto: (I still can't believe i'm standing. I wonder if someone like me can survive in a place like this...)

As for your second point... i'm not sure how that's even relevant. Any ordinary person would research Hope's Peak academy before going there, Makoto and Nagito are hardly unique in that regard. In fact, Makoto tries to find students other ordinary students, which is something Nagito would never do. There is no special affinity here.

Makoto: Could they be just average students like me, without any talent or anything?
Makoto: (That thought was kind of encouraging. I mean, I know I don't have much in the way of personality)

I'm really confused by your usage of the word "obsession." Makoto truly believing in Hope in the face of Despair is the reason why he's the Ultimate Hope. Not because he has an obsession with it in any capacity (He even points out that "Hope" isn't some talent for an elite) Nagito on the other hand, has an extreme obsession with it to the point where it becomes Despair. His character concept is literally Dark Makoto (The devs literally defined him as an extreme version of Makoto.)

TL;DR The many differences between the 2 (height, talent, personality, character history) make it clear that they're different individuals. Someone like Nagito could never hope to be The Ultimate Hope.

FluxWaveZ

Hm, well faith raised in Another Episode. Hope we get it soon enough.

Man, even in Island mode, Nagito is a creepy ass creep. Probably the creepiest character in video games. If ppl wanna design a real creep, just check out Nagito.

cnLmFNJl.jpg

Man, I love this guy so much. He even looks awesome.

LiK

Hm, well faith raised in Another Episode. Hope we get it soon enough.

cnLmFNJl.jpg

He gives me chills. Gotta give props to his English VO. That laugh is sooooooo creepy. Made him 10000x creepier. DX

Vylash

I want to see thoughts on makotos ultimate status. What do you guys think. Is he actually an ultimate lucky student? Is there just several ultimate lucky students and nagito happens to be far more lucky? So much so that you can actually consider it ultimate? It almost feels like they knew makoto was ultimate hope and just let him in under the guise of the lucky program so he wouldn't know about his true ultimate status. Did the academy even search for ultimate hopes and despairs? They didn't know junko was both fashionista and despair. Hope and despair seem like werid ultimate titles to look for. The whole hope vs despair stuff wasn't really a thing until after the tragedy thing.

Of course he's not actually lucky, at least not in an ultimate sense, he's the Ultimate Hope. Nagito is the actual Ultimate Lucky Student as they drive home over and over throughout the game, his luck never failed him once and it's not only the reason he lived through case 4, but it's the only reason case 5 worked and case 1 even happened. Also of course they didn't search for hope and despair, hope was born from the despair that Junko created, neither was planned.

FluxWaveZ

I'm really confused by your usage of the word "obsession." Makoto truly believing in Hope in the face of Despair is the reason why he's the Ultimate Hope. Not because he has an obsession with it in any capacity (He even points out that "Hope" isn't some talent for an elite) Nagito on the other hand, has an extreme obsession with it to the point where it becomes Despair. His character concept is literally Dark Makoto. They're not polar opposites; Nagito is simply an extreme version of Makoto.

I think you're taking the words too literally. Makoto says "I've really... come to an amazing place..." in regards to Hope's Peak. How would someone not be proud of being able to attend a place they claim is "amazing"? He feels out of place, but he's also proud that he can attend, which he speaks more about when he describes how his family reacted to him being admitted.

I'm not sure how you're confused about the relevancy of the second point when Makoto and Nagito are the only characters, in DR1 and DR2, who have stated that they researched the other Ultimates upon entering Hope's Peak. That's the point, that they share that similarity.

And I don't mean "obsession" in terms of a craze, I mean "obsession" in terms of an infatuation. Makoto loves the idea of hope and has (obviously) made it his goal in life to restore it. It's because Nagito's character concept is "Dark Makoto" that people thought of the possibility of Nagito and Makoto being the same person, along with the numerous other details I pointed out previously. It seems like you're talking as though I'm trying to match Nagito's and Makoto's personalities 1:1, when that's not what I'm doing at all.

todd360

Ultimate hopes and ultimate despairs are more like self given titles then. They are not official hopes peak given titles.

"For example, the Super High School Good Luck from last year…”

Upon hearing those words, all members of the board paled.

Almost as if the headmaster brought up a taboo topic that should be left alone.

"If everything happened because they did, then why do things always seem to go his way? When I see him, I cannot bring myself to write luck off as mere result labeling."

"Even then…we all knew how that turned out.”

He spat out his words. All members of the board had sour faces. This always happens whenever topics concerning that particular individual was brought up.

The person they were talking about was a certain male student who enrolled in the school as the previous <Super High School Level Good Luck>.

Indeed, he was a problem child. An incredibly problematic one. He meddles with the affairs of other students and causes nothing but problems. What&#8217;s more, the worst thing about this is that he himself didn&#8217;t mean any harm. His existence is a source of constant worry to the headmaster, but-

"Still, we have no other choice but to acknowledge his luck. Don&#8217;t you think his power is one befitting of being called a talent?"

All members of the board remained silence. Because they could not find any words to refute the headmaster&#8217;s statement.

Man I'm really curious about what happened with Nagito during his school days

Of course he's not actually lucky, at least not in an ultimate sense, he's the Ultimate Hope. Nagito is the actual Ultimate Lucky Student as they drive home over and over throughout the game, his luck never failed him once and it's not only the reason he lived through case 4, but it's the only reason case 5 worked and case 1 even happened. Also of course they didn't search for hope and despair, hope was born from the despair that Junko created, neither was planned.

I'm pretty sure Makoto is also worthy of the "Ultimate Lucky Student" title, it's just that Nagito's luck is an extreme one compared to anyone else even among others worthy of the Ultimate Lucky Student title.

MSMrRound

One of the best moments in the game right there. Love the way hes says, "No, that's wrong" in English, too.

I bet many linking him to Makoto Naegi straight went "OH NO YOU DIDN'T!" Myself included.

Some of the Let's Play I'm watching now, e.g SirLionHeart and NicoB's, it's amusing to see their reactions to the newly added Rebuttal Showdown.

All of them were like "...wha..!?"

You got to try replaying some of the trials using Japanese voice-overs. I like switching between the two, since they can portray the scenes quite differently E.g using Kana Hanazawa for Trial 5 still makes me tear up.

That Komaeda "Sore Wa Chigau Yo"

Oh, now I know who Nagito kind of reminds me of. Kumagawa from Medaka Box who is also voiced by Ogata.

She really has some crazy range. From Shinji to Nagito is quite a difference.

Moonlight

Banned
Anyone mind pitching me how long IF is? I don't expect something as long as DR2 itself, but I kinda hope it's not something you could wrap up in an hour.

I love the Rebuttal Showdowns to pieces. Can't stress that enough. Always give me such a rush when another character just cuts in and issue a challenge against your argument.

Japanese VA also give us Sugita-Gundham and others

INFINITY UNLIMITED FLAME!
I think the double Chiaki-Hajime 'no, that's wrong' cut-in is possibly my favourite single trial moment in the game. So triumphant. So heartwarming. And those shades of AA3 Case 5. ;_;

Anyone mind pitching me how long IF is? I don't expect something as long as DR2 itself, but I kinda hope it's not something you could wrap up in an hour.

I read through it right after beating the game yesterday and I think it actually took me a little under an hour to get through it lol.

One of my small yet favorite moments in the game that I never see anyone mention is how in chapter 6 you have to agree with Monokuma to procceed which just feels wrong in general.

Uh...definitely something you could read through in an hour.

PK Gaming

I think you're taking the words too literally. Makoto says "I've really... come to an amazing place..." in regards to Hope's Peak. How would someone not be proud of being able to attend a place they claim is "amazing"? He feels out of place, but he's also proud that he can attend, which he speaks more about when he describes how his family reacted to him being admitted.

Again, i'll have to challenge your logic. Hope's Peak is certainly an amazing place, but there's absolutely no indication that he feels overly proud of being able to attend there. What you're arguing isn't remotely up for interpretation; the game is completely unambiguous about why he decided to enter Hope's Peak.

Makoto: (Honestly, I would have been better off just declining the offer. But after hearing that graduating was a "guarantee for success" later in life, I couldn't just say no.

His reasoning for attending Hope's Peak is mainly about success, not about pride. I'm sure he feels some pride for being there, but not to a degree that's notable (like Nagito). Remember, Makoto is extremely, extremely ordinary. His actions, his mindset&#8212;everything, are of that of an ordinary person. There is nothing that sets him apart (aside from having a little more optimism than most) I think you're conflating Makoto with Hajime, because the latter has demonstrated that they're definitely obsessed with attending Hope's Peak. Hajime most certainly has an affinity towards it, unlike Makoto.

I'm not sure how you're confused about the relevancy of the second point when Makoto and Nagito are the only characters, in DR1 and DR2, who have stated that they researched the other Ultimates upon entering Hope's Peak. That's the point, that they share that similarity.

I suppose. Realistically, it's not a similarity worth pointing out because any of the Ultimate Lucky Student candidates who would done the same thing.

And I don't mean "obsession" in terms of a craze, I mean "obsession" in terms of an infatuation. Makoto loves the idea of hope and has (obviously) made it his goal in life to restore it. It's because Nagito's character concept is "Dark Makoto" that people thought of the possibility of Nagito and Makoto being the same person, along with the numerous other details I pointed out previously. It seems like you're talking as though I'm trying to match Nagito's and Makoto's personalities 1:1, when that's not what I'm doing at all.

I'm sorry, where are you getting this interpretation of Makoto? Loves? Infatuation? What? Sure, he wants to spread Hope in the world after the events of the first game. I get that. But Makoto does not have an extreme love for Hope like Nagito does. His desire to spread Hope is in response to the what happened to the world after the Tragedy. This cannot be argued because Nagito is an extreme version of Makoto. They've got some similarities, but "both are obsessed with Hope" is not one of them because it's literally impossible.

Anyway, my original point was that after playing DR2 (ideally past the first chapter), there should be no real reason to think that they were the same person. It's not an opinion that everyone shares, but I digress...

Zephyx

I'm tempted in getting AE. Looks like an action game. I guess I'll miss out on the story tho.

Want it too but I'm worried about the length. If we get around 15-20 hours out of it on top of an intriguing story, I'm more than happy to wait for a localization.

Steel

Banned
cnLmFNJl.jpg

While I hope Junko stays dead, I would totally love for this guy to be the mastermind of a killing game(they could make it work if the cast finds a way to revive their friends, including him). Seeing him come out at the final class trial would be pretty epic, kinda disappointed that didn't happen in this one.

I dunno whether or not I should import AE at launch yet. If it was just text I could read/translate at my own pace then I'd probably be strongly considering it, but I'll probably have trouble with the anime scenes...

At the same time, I also don't want to wait to find out what happens in it! Hm...

sub_o

So now it all makes sense why most of the characters are annoying. They are the ultimate despairs after all.

FluxWaveZ

This cannot be argued because Nagito is an extreme version of Makoto. They've got some similarities, but "both are obsessed with Hope" is not one of them because it's literally impossible.

This is kind of a boring thing to debate on because what you're saying isn't matching what I am, and this proves it. Like I said, what I'm doing isn't saying that their personality is the same at all, while that's all you're talking about, and that's what you're trying to refute by pointing out my choice of words. My point was that he was a red herring, which can confuse some players (and, obviously by being a red herring, not confuse some others); so you're pretty much arguing something that was never my intention to begin with.

While I hope Junko stays dead, I would totally love for this guy to be the mastermind of a killing game(they could make it work if the cast finds a way to revive their friends, including him). Seeing him come out at the final class trial would be pretty epic, kinda disappointed that didn't happen in this one.

That could be cool, though part of the reason I think I liked him so much as an antagonist was because he wasn't something typical like the mastermind behind everything. He's a very complex character in that way, where you don't know if he's trying to help everyone at some point or plan against them. His arc was also real interesting, after he learns that they're all the Ultimate Despairs, when he becomes far more dangerous after he starts to hate everyone else.

Someone like him having planned everything in the background would be neat, but I also really enjoy the active role Nagito had during this game, and wouldn't mind some kind of other form of active antagonist in a DR3. Kind of reminds me of Byakuya in DR1 when
he messed with the evidence during case 2 for the heck of it.

PK Gaming

This is kind of a boring thing to debate on because what you're saying isn't matching what I am, and this proves it. Like I said, what I'm doing isn't saying that their personality is the same at all, while that's all you're talking about, and that's what you're trying to refute by pointing out my choice of words. My point was that he was a red herring, which can confuse some players (and, obviously by being a red herring, not confuse some others); so you're pretty much arguing something that was never my intention to begin with.

Yeah, it feels like we were arguing past each other.

In any case, I never denied the fact that Nagito was a red herring. In fact, I've made a post highlighting that exact fact in the past.

I just took offense to some of your word choices. I felt that some of your comparisons (which were mostly fine before playing SDR2), became a stretch once you cleared the first chapter. Like all of those similarities simply became parallels after the fact.

Phocks

The moment I saw him with Junko's arm transplanted onto him I thought there was going to be a Liquid Ocelot moment and Junko would reappear through him.

FluxWaveZ

The moment I saw him with Junko's arm transplanted onto him I thought there was going to be a Liquid Ocelot moment and Junko would reappear through him.

After Steel said that, that's pretty much what came to mind as a possible DR3 mastermind. Shit.

Thinking about his suicide, though, I wonder if he really gained the will to kill himself after learning he was an Ultimate Despair. It sounded like he didn't want to die for nothing after discovering who they all really were, so I guess that's when he started to develop his plan.

In terms of the difference between Makoto and Nagito... You notice how Nagito says early on that he sees things through a more pessimistic view on life? Makoto has his optimism, of course. I wonder if the idea was to take the same base character, switch him to being pessimistic, and then develop him from there.

A lot about Nagito's design was probably a purposeful subversion of Makoto. Like cosmicblizzard mentioned earlier, the moment he first has his twisted speech about hope is a nice twist on the black-and-white view of hope vs. despair in the first game, kind of showing how hope can corrupt as much as despair can if one lets it.

LX_Theo

Banned
In terms of the difference between Makoto and Nagito... You notice how Nagito says early on that he sees things through a more pessimistic view on life? Makoto has his optimism, of course. I wonder if the idea was to take the same base character, switch him to being pessimistic, and then develop him from there.

A lot about Nagito's design was probably a purposeful subversion of Makoto. Like cosmicblizzard mentioned earlier, the moment he first has his twisted speech about hope is a nice twist on the black-and-white view of hope vs. despair in the first game, kind of showing how hope can corrupt as much as despair can if one lets it.

Oh, yeah. I suppose what I'm saying is more along the lines of me wondering if that was the base idea for how that all manifests. Where their base worldviews differ to cause such a large divergence.

I dunno whether or not I should import AE at launch yet. If it was just text I could read/translate at my own pace then I'd probably be strongly considering it, but I'll probably have trouble with the anime scenes...

At the same time, I also don't want to wait to find out what happens in it! Hm...

I was considering it but September is already a heavy month in terms of spending money, so I'll probably make do with twitter/tumblr spoilers instead.

pariah164

3~5 hope Pigmi
6~8 hope Gorimi
9~10 hope/ 6~9 despair Monokuma
0 hope/ 6~9 despair Shitmi

Snakemi was 0~2 hope, Usami was 10 hope.
How the balls do I wrangle that hope/despair ratio for Monokuma? :T You can give presents to knock DOWN Despair, but how do you raise it? Other than let shit stay all over the room forever.

MSMrRound

Just give presents to Hope level that you need. Later, just let the pet shit itself and don't clean up. The despair gauge will rise soon enough.

Just be sure to save every now and then if you want to be safe.

NotLiquid

So I have to say that I pretty much like how the characters in this game don't actually "die".

Because the fact that they have to eventually come to terms with the atrocities they've committed is more fucked up to think about than anything else. This game takes the kind of ambiguously dumb twist of the original game and turns it into a legitimately frightening concept to think about.

Some therapy is in order.

OceanBlue

So I have to say that I pretty much like how the characters in this game don't actually "die".

Because the fact that they have to eventually come to terms with the atrocities they've committed is more fucked up to think about than anything else. This game takes the kind of ambiguously dumb twist of the original game and turns it into a legitimately frightening concept to think about.

Some therapy is in order.
Well, two characters actually die. ;_;

LX_Theo

Banned
I'd be willing to bet that the instances of Chiaki and Usami in the program weren't exclusive to it. The them that were in it? Yeah, they're gone. In the same concept as the avatars getting erased forever (who knows, they might be able to recover their data like they are trying for the dead people). It would be of note that its likely that there are original copies of their programs before they were added in as observers.

LiK

Just give presents to Hope level that you need. Later, just let the pet shit itself and don't clean up. The despair gauge will rise soon enough.

Just be sure to save every now and then if you want to be safe.

this is the only game where we talk about people and virtual pets shitting.

Top Bottom