• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Rubedo

The moment they joked about Kazuichi becoming the first victim I knew he was staying the long haul, though I kinda wish he hadn't. He's probably the least interesting character in the bunch.

But I feel so bad about Chiaki! I was watching youtube videos after I beat Danganronpa 1 and I saw a tetris block in a thumbnail for related videos out of the corner of my eye. After that I avoided anything related to the series for fear of spoilers, but I spent the ENTIRE game hypervigilant of everything she did or said. I was convinced she was the killer for the 4th trial, since I forgot about the secret passage and figured that only one of the Grape house people could kill Mechamaru.

But the 5th trial, and the end of the game... I felt so bad that I had no faith in her.

I had it spoiled that Chiaki killed Nagito in Chapter 5 but the whole game I was expecting it to be an intentional murder to protect the others or something. Almost like if Kyoko really had killed someone in DR1's Chapter 5.

The fact that it was set up the way it was still an interesting thought process to go through though.

Also, the best part of beating DR2 is I can now search for Dangan Ronpa stuff without fearing spoilers.

I still didn't like him after his free time events as I felt the things he experienced were pretty shallow compared to the others. I can see where his despair was born though.

I can see what you mean. I did Mikan's earlier today and man her past seems crazy messed up. Akane's was pretty rough too. These kids were despair landmines.

Moonlight

Banned
I accidentally saw fanart of Kazuichi stabbed with a bunch of knives so I spent like 4/6s of the game convinced that he was gonna bite the dust sooner or later. :lol

Zephyx

Also, the best part of beating DR2 is I can now search for Dangan Ronpa stuff without fearing spoilers.

Agreed. It may be short lived due to Another Episode coming out this month but it is worth it.

I can see what you mean. I did Mikan's earlier today and man her past seems crazy messed up. Akane's was pretty rough too. These kids were despair landmines.

Mikan's was just sad and traumatizing. T_T I find it hard to imagine how Nekomaru and Gundham fell into despair though. Nekomaru seems like a very strong character. Gundham, well, it may have something to do with his hamsters dying or his eccentric personality leading to some sort of desperate situation.

todd360

umm can someone explain the monokuma on the floor at the end of the first game? When he said he wasn't just a stuffed animal or something like that. I assumed that meant that monokuma AI was in him and there is still a monokuma in the real world. I was surprised when I found out that the monokuma in two is just the AI in the digital world. So basically is there a monokuma robot with the AI in the real world still?

FluxWaveZ

Oh yeah, I was told that Makoto Naegi being listed as the "Ultimate Despair" at the end of DR1 instead of the "Ultimate Hope" wasn't a bug, so I was kind of expecting that to factor into Nagito, but I guess that was actually not supposed to be there.

DaBoss

I'm probably willing to spoil myself regarding AE just to know more about the story and the characters in it, especially if I can find out whether the Remnants of Despair are in it.
Oh yeah, I was told that Makoto Naegi being listed as the "Ultimate Despair" at the end of DR1 instead of the "Ultimate Hope" wasn't a bug, so I was kind of expecting that to factor into Nagito, but I guess that was actually not supposed to be there.
Huh?

LX_Theo

Banned
Well until Another Episode comes out in 2 weeks.

I feel less scared of that adding a lot of major world building to the series like DR and DR2 do, as well as the story probably not having nearly as much mystery or stuff that it'd be damaging to get spoiled on with. I could be very wrong, but I'm pretty hopeful about its impact in that regard.

Moonlight

Banned
I think I might just bite the bullet on spoiling the shit out of AE for myself, honestly. I don't think AE's gonna be dropping the bombs like the mainline games do and the format seems less suitable for me getting too worked up about learning anything I shouldn't.

LX_Theo

Banned
umm can someone explain the monokuma on the floor at the end of the first game? When he said he wasn't just a stuffed animal or something like that. I assumed that meant that monokuma AI was in him and there is still a monokuma in the real world. I was surprised when I found out that the monokuma in two is just the AI in the digital world. So basically is there a monokuma robot with the AI in the real world still?

Well, there is a whole group of Ultimate Despairs. Could be any of them simply taking over.

Realistically, it was probably just a teaser for a sequel, but there are certainly some basic explanations that are adequate.

FluxWaveZ

gvlbDps.jpg

The ending itself a little too trippy for my tastes. And Junko's motivation kind of struck me as... mundane. Not really ultimate despair-y.

But I'm not really sure what the message was at the end. Something like the power of friendship will help them remember the time spent on the island despite the program technically not letting them? And didn't the know which avatars had died in the simulation? If everyone chose graduate couldn't FF they have just locked up the Junko-clones in the pod and saved everyone from the deliberation?

But the best part was getting to hear the sweet DR1 class trial themes again.

Cause I love fanart, here's a small collection of unused or fan created executions for some of the cast:

A list of unused executions for some of the cast. Includes Makoto from the first game and Matsuda from ZERO, so you can skip the last one.

Oddly enough, they don't have any for Nidai, Akane or Saionji so whatever I guess.

And here's fanart based off these executions.

And from the same wonderful artist, more fan created executions for the cast:
Runaway Souda
Lucky Dart Komaeda
Christmas Izuru
Hinata CIDER (My personal favorite)

Phocks

Nagito was my favorite character. His twisted worldview a polarizing actions made him super fun. His death bummed me out until it gets pieced together what his plan was in the investigation.

todd360

Well, there is a whole group of Ultimate Despairs. Could be any of them simply taking over.

Realistically, it was probably just a teaser for a sequel, but there are certainly some basic explanations that are adequate.

I don't like that explanation. Monokuma was still doing his trademark personality. I doubt one of them would enter the school and go to the command room then wake him up and make him say his lines for no reason. I feel like it has the be the Junko AI activating in him after junko;s death or something. Perhaps this will tie into Danganronpa 3. The AI still exists in a real world monokuma who proceeds to plant seeds of despair. I don't really no how much power a real world monokuma could have though. He would have to set stuff up for another killing. The robot form of him basically is just a walking mechanical bear with a bomb on the inside. I don't think he can really do much without human backup.

Well that was probably just the Junko AI, but what he says is true. He's not just a stuffed animal. He's a symbol, a symbol for anyone to use in the name of despair. From the very beginning, even all the way back to the protests that led to the tragedy, Monokuma's image has been the symbol of the ultimate despair.

FluxWaveZ

The AI still exists in a real world monokuma who proceeds to plant seeds of despair. I don't really no how much power a real world monokuma could have though. He would have to set stuff up for another killing. The robot form of him basically is just a walking mechanical bear with a bomb on the inside. I don't think he can really do much without human backup.

But Junko = Monokuma. If Monokuma AI still exists, that means Junko AI still exists, and I think we should pretty much be done with her after DR2.

I agree with Monokuma being a symbol for despair.

Zephyx

I think I might just bite the bullet on spoiling the shit out of AE for myself, honestly. I don't think AE's gonna be dropping the bombs like the mainline games do and the format seems less suitable for me getting too worked up about learning anything I shouldn't.

I'm planning to go in blind but if general impressions of the game from other players imply it is not as deep as the main games, I'm willing to spoil myself. I still feel they're gonna drop some bombs though, especially since they are planning to create a third game. It is not so far fetched to believe they need AE to add materials for the next game.

Well that was probably just the Junko AI, but what he says is true. He's not just a stuffed animal. He's a symbol, a symbol for anyone to use in the name of despair. From the very beginning, even all the way back to the protests that led to the tragedy, Monokuma's image has been the symbol of the ultimate despair.

Raising the question, how did Monokuma become that symbol of despair? I guess it has something to do with Junko being the Ultimate Fashionista and Despair at the same time.

arue

Cause I love fanart, here's a small collection of unused or fan created executions for some of the cast:

A list of unused executions for some of the cast. Includes Makoto from the first game and Matsuda from ZERO, so you can skip the last one.

Oddly enough, they don't have any for Nidai, Akane or Saionji so whatever I guess.

And here's fanart based off these executions.

And from the same wonderful artist, more fan created executions for the cast:
Runaway Souda
Lucky Dart Komaeda
Christmas Izuru
Hinata CIDER (My personal favorite)
All these fan arts are amazing. Souda's execution would be great if it happens in the game; it's so despair-inducing.

Nagito was my favorite character. His twisted worldview a polarizing actions made him super fun. His death bummed me out until it gets pieced together what his plan was in the investigation.

I hated what Nagito did, but he made everything infinitely more interesting. I certainly don't like him, but I definitely appreciated his presence. His plan in Chapter 5 was insane in all of the best ways.

todd360

But Junko = Monokuma. If Monokuma AI still exists, that means Junko AI still exists, and I think we should pretty much be done with her after DR2.

I agree with Monokuma being a symbol for despair.

I know that Junko=Monokuma.

I think its possible that there is more than one copy of junko AI. Can you really have another game without monokuma? Junko can't really be gone for good until the last game I think.

Raising the question, how did Monokuma become that symbol of despair? I guess it has something to do with Junko being the Ultimate Fashionista and Despair at the same time.

Well a revolution lead by people wearing the head of said mascot (which Junko designed iirc, yeah) tends to do that

Moonlight

Banned
Doubt that we're going back to Junko. I think the intrigue of 'who the mastermind is' is a reasonably important aspect of the tension of the game, and making Junko a constantly recurring villain kind of robs you of that. It'd also turn her into something like a Saturday morning cartoon villain. I'll get you next time, etc, etc. Junko in DR1 was straight up terrifying. Junko in DR2 was, ah, less so. You'd undermine a lot of her threat if she's just constantly getting blown up by high schoolers and coming back only to get blown up again. Monokuma and Junko shouldn't, I think, be considered one in the same.

FluxWaveZ

I know that Junko=Monokuma.

I think its possible that there is more than one copy of junko AI. Can you really have another game without monokuma? Junko can't really be gone for good until the last game I think.

I really disagree with this. It would be extremely deflating if Junko was the big bad of another DR game.

I'm of the opinion that Monokuma can be a symbol of despair used by any of the Ultimate Despairs. Perhaps with mannerisms that we're used to, but an underlying attitude that differs from his DR1/DR2 incarnations.

LX_Theo

Banned
I don't like that explanation. Monokuma was still doing his trademark personality. I doubt one of them would enter the school and go to the command room then wake him up and make him say his lines for no reason. I feel like it has the be the Junko AI activating in him after junko;s death or something. Perhaps this will tie into Danganronpa 3. The AI still exists in a real world monokuma who proceeds to plant seeds of despair. I don't really no how much power a real world monokuma could have though. He would have to set stuff up for another killing. The robot form of him basically is just a walking mechanical bear with a bomb on the inside. I don't think he can really do much without human backup.

Like I said... It was probably just a teaser for the next game. Mainly the fact that there would be a next game. Like I said, all they would need is an adequate explanation, not necessarily one everyone would like. No guarantee they even intend to give it an explanation, or feel any obligation to. Really, I think you might just be reading too much into it.

PK Gaming

predictions for super dangan ronpa 3 said:
1. the wrong person gets killed and the culprit flips the fuck out as soon as they’re accused. someone on the cast is really, really bad at successfully murdering people with knives. we get to execute the casanova-wannabe
2. the victim is killed via head trauma. someone tampers with the crime scene to frame a serial killer who may or may not be someone in the cast. the motive has something to do with someone’s dead sibling. you will cry
3. double-murder. the culprit gets a ridiculous breakdown and it’s fantastic. what the hell kind of an execution is that.
4. a student sacrifices themselves so everyone else can live and the robot dies. guess who will cry. that’s right, it’s you
5. the murder itself is rigged to unfairly execute an innocent student
6. junko enoshima, you lovable scamp

Moonlight

Banned
Planning on reading IF soon, actually. Mukuro was secretly the best character of DR1, so getting to pretend there was a world where she didn't meet such a tragic end would be good, I think. ;_;

todd360

I really disagree with this. It would be extremely deflating if Junko was the big bad of another DR game.

I'm of the opinion that Monokuma can be a symbol of despair used by any of the Ultimate Despairs. Perhaps with mannerisms that we're used to, but an underlying attitude that differs from his DR1/DR2 incarnations.

I guess it is possible that someone could just control him again. The ultimate Despairs will never harm the world again though unless the rest of them wake up and leave the island with despair intact. I feel like the junko AI in the end of danganronpa 1 has to be the next monokuma we face though. It is a major plot hole to just awaken a monokuma in the real world and never mention it again.

todd360

Like I said... It was probably just a teaser for the next game. Mainly the fact that there would be a next game. Like I said, all they would need is an adequate explanation, not necessarily one everyone would like. No guarantee they even intend to give it an explanation, or feel any obligation to. Really, I think you might just be reading too much into it.

Can you blame me? These two games have taught me to read to much into every detail or you will be consumed by despair.

todd360

Anyways I just thought of something. What would have happened if mechamaru survived and was uploaded back into his real body? Would there be some kind of weird side effects? I guess it would have to be the upload with digital world memories right?

Also
-super duper dangan ronpa 3: junko is back again somehow
-super fucking duper god damn dangan ronpa 5: why the fuck is junko still here
-goddamn super fucking duper dangan ronpa 7: junko died six times yet wont stay dead
-ultimate goddamn super fucking duper dangan ronpa 9: at this point junko is just a laminated cardboard cutout yet we still cant get rid of her
-dangan ronpa 11: we’ve run out of ideas fuck off junko

This is still my favorite chain of Tumblr DR text posts

DaBoss

Now that I think about it, how much would/did Nagito change as a part of Ultimate Despair? His warped view of hope shows that he thinks of people's murders as another way of hope. So would he even change at all if he got out of the Neo World Program?

And my question regarding whether people have read Danganronpa IF may be related to the Monokuma discussion going on here. I think I remember them touching upon it.
When Makoto awakens to his talent during the last trial.
Oh wow, that's weird.

And my question regarding whether people have read Danganronpa IF may be related to the Monokuma discussion going on here. I think I remember them touching upon it.

Well they mention
Chihiro having been the one that originally programmed Monokuma
if that's what you're refering to.

lol, I hope the mastermind reveal of Danganronpa 3 has a cardboard cutout of Junko for a few seconds before the real mastermind is revealed standing behind it.

lol, I hope the mastermind reveal of Danganronpa 3 has a cardboard cutout of Junko for a few seconds before the real mastermind is revealed standing behind it.

And the best part is that due to the game's art style we wouldn't even be able to tell it's an actual carboard cutout until it happens! :D

From the posts here it sounds like Dangan Ronpa 3 is confirmed? That's really exciting if true!

It's not officially confirmed, but I recall it being heavily teased at after the end of something DR: Another Episode-related. Basically, it's going to happen.

kewlmyc

I wouldn't mind this.

But please no more Junko anymore. I don't mind them doing what Jojo does and have the villain has some sort of vague connection to Junko, but just not Junko herself.

Spoiler for the Kirigiri novels
Apparently she's the villain in the Kirigiri prequel novels as well. So in every DR related piece of media, Junko's the villain. Hopefully AE breaks this curse.

Top Bottom