• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Steel

Banned
Hm, I see your point... It's kind of funny. DR1 cast were friends before being wiped, but took little time to mourn when the killing started.

DR2 cast were all Despairs before being wiped, and really had to struggle to keep going once the killings began.

Very interesting.

I really think "Byakua" was the one who set the tone in both games.

In DR:1 he's the intelligent guy that basically tells everyone they're on their own, screw everyone else. Makoto gets betrayed in the first chapter, so even he gets a bit wary of trusting too much.

In DR:2 he's the intelligent guy(That's a fake, but details) that tells everyone to work together, and that no killings would happen on his watch, and sacrifices himself before letting anyone else become a victim. This makes the goal for the cast to carry on his will and try to get along with one another. Oddly enough, this is Nagito's goal, in a way.

Rubedo

Chiaki had the best execution. Peko's is next best due to the Fuyuhiko thing. I didn't like the rest. They just didn't seem that bad and I was expecting something brutal like Leon's since everyone said DR2 executions were better.

But if I had to choose then Teruteru's would be third best, Gundham's 4th, and Mikan's was just dumb.

OceanBlue

Oh la la la doh la la la. I love that track.

Teruteru's and Gundham's were both great, but I'd have to go with Chiaki and Usami. That was the most emotional execution for me, as I'd grown to really like Chiaki, and they did a great job of keeping up tension in the sequence by drawing it out painfully.

I definitely agree with this. They really built up the sympathy for both Chiaki and Usami, which made their execution a lot harder for me. If I were to replay the game again, I'd feel really bad throughout for all of the bullying Usami goes through from everyone since I know what her true intentions are.

My favorites were TeruTeru's and Gundhams as well.

However, I think we can all agree that Mikan's execution can fuck off into space. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I see what you did there.

Yeah, Mikan's execution was pig barf. Maybe if we actually got to see her freeze/asphyxiate to death in space then it would've been at least passable, but as it stands it's just plain dumb. They hyped me up for a lethal injection, and instead I got an overplayed orgasm joke.

Moonlight

Banned
Mikan's was just dumb. And totally unsatisfying. I feel like she got off the easiest of all the cast members in the game despite probably being the most unsympathetic murderer in the game.

In DR:1 he's the intelligent guy that basically tells everyone they're on their own, screw everyone else. Makoto gets betrayed in the first chapter, so even he gets a bit wary of trusting too much.

In DR:2 he's the intelligent guy(That's a fake, but details) that tells everyone to work together, and that no killings would happen on his watch, and sacrifices himself before letting anyone else become a victim. This makes the goal for the cast to carry on his will and try to get along with one another. Oddly enough, this is Nagito's goal, in a way.

Yeah I can agree with this. If there was a feeling of distrust among the original cast I'd blame Togami for like 90% of it.

I wonder what tone Togami will set for DR3 then, lol

And man, DR1 would have been a lot different if we had Twogami instead of Togami.

FluxWaveZ

Mikan's was just dumb. And totally unsatisfying. I feel like she got off the easiest of all the cast members in the game despite probably being the most unsympathetic murderer in the game.

Still, since she had reverted to an Ultimate Despair, she probably would have been way into any punishment she had received, much like she was into the one she actually got.

This brings up something that I didn't think about until recently.

Why the hell was fake togami so caring? It made me think that he was real byakuya because nobody would risk their ass for a group of strangers unless they've already survived this.

Gazoinks

This talk of fake Byakuya reminds me of how weirdly underutilized the impostor thing was. It was an interesting revelation, but it didn't really go anywhere. Who was he? Why was he entering the school disguised as Byakuya? Why was someone as shady as the Ultimate Impostor so nice? Mukuro 2.0 I guess.

I haven't completely his FT yet though, so maybe that adds more to him.

This brings up something that I didn't think about until recently.

Why the hell was fake togami so caring? It made me think that he was real byakuya because nobody would risk their ass for a group of strangers unless they've already survived this.

Such would be the work of the Ultimate Impostor!

Why was he entering the school disguised as Byakuya?

Considering Byakuya's status as a key member of the Future Foundation, it wouldn't be too surprising if Ultimate Imposter was disguised as Byakuya for some reason during his time of capture. Entering the school, though, I'm not sure. Maybe he was just looking for someone in a position of power.

Gazoinks

I propose that since we've already had a regular Togami and fat Togami, DR3 should have a thin Togami!

He can be an android this time!

Considering Byakuya's status as a key member of the Future Foundation, it wouldn't be too surprising if Ultimate Imposter was disguised as Byakuya for some reason during his time of capture.

Right, but if he lost his school memories and wasn't all "Why the hell am I dressed like this" upon waking up, doesn't that mean he was disguised as Byakuya upon entering the school? Maybe I'm overthinking it.

FluxWaveZ

The blame shouldn't go to Togami solely. Celeste also had a role in it.

I agree with Steel pointing out that Byakuya set the tone for the general relationships in DR1 and DR2, but if we're talking about overall unease in DR1, there was Byakuya, Celeste, Toko and Hiro who were either unstable or real suspicious. After the killing game was revealed, there was also Leon and Makoto's gf who were very unstable as well. "Junko's" execution from the start might have had a hand in the paranoia going on, too.

Actually, I felt that the motivations given by Monokuma in DR1 were a bit stronger and more personal than DR2's stranger motivations.

Moonlight

Banned
This talk of fake Byakuya reminds me of how weirdly underutilized the impostor thing was. It was an interesting revelation, but it didn't really go anywhere. Who was he? Why was he entering the school disguised as Byakuya? Why was someone as shady as the Ultimate Impostor so nice? Mukuro 2.0 I guess.

I haven't completely his FT yet though, so maybe that adds more to him.
I thought maybe it implied that Byakuya was the mastermind, and that all the parallels to the first game were directly engineered to 'reproduce' the Ultimate Hope/whatever that came out of the first game's events. Byakuya being the 'mastermind' and having the Ultimate Impostor act as him would more or less fit another potential DR1 parallel in the mastermind 'obeying' the rules of his own game by hiding amongst the cast by having someone else fill in for him.

Doesn't really hold up to a lot of deep thought, but I didn't think the Imposter thing was a total red herring.

actually Danganronpa 3 will just be a retelling of the competition to determine the successor to the head of the Togami family and the cast will be 16 variants of Byakuya.

edit: one of them is junko btw

LiK

alright, i need SERIOUS help with the last hidden Monokuma in my collection.

I need the third one in Chapter 4. The guide in PS Trophies is not in the right order. I got the one they listed and the third spot is still empty. Do I really need to replay through the entire investigation to get to Monokuma's room cuz I don't remember if I got that one. It's listed as the final one in the PS Trophy guide but I have that already.

edit: nm, got it. the one in Monokuma room is the third one.

petghost

Banned
have you guys played these games more than once? the events of the first game are somewhat hazy in my head so i was thinking of going back and playing it while i'm on this dangan ronpa kick.

that said these games seem incredibly un-replayable. if you replayed them did you get any enjoyment out of that process?

have you guys played these games more than once? the events of the first game are somewhat hazy in my head so i was thinking of going back and playing it while i'm on this dangan ronpa kick.

that said these games seem incredibly un-replayable. if you replayed them did you get any enjoyment out of that process?

Replayed the first one after the fan translation as I got a review copy. Was still fun.

I'd consider replaying both once PS TV comes out, but not right away.

I think fake Byakuya was nice because that is how the imposter thought the Ultimate Affluent Progeny would act.

Well I imagine it's cause Twogami never had the whole fight for succession that Togami went through and made him the prick we all see today.

So yeah, Twogami acted all noble and mighty (but still a nice guy) cause that's what the title Ultimate Affluent Progeny would sound like would do.

Like if Twogami decided to pretend to be the Ultimate Gymnast, we would have saw some actual gymnastics in this game.

Moonlight

Banned
I've replayed Danganronpa 1 thrice. :lol

Was still in the middle of my refresher run before DR2 dropped and I had to abandon it.

Finished this game the other day. Brilliant game as expected. Can't wait for a third one. The only thing that really dissapointed me was the ending. Not neccessarily that they didn't go into more detail and it was just a bit ambiguous with them staying on the island trying to help the ones who are comatose. That part was fine. What bugged me was not getting to see the rest of the awake survivors and how they look now. I guess seeing them with junko pieces attatched to them or maybe starved to just bones takes away from the hopefully ending but I just really wanted to see what they look like pre island of killing life aka their despair forms..

LProtag

Togami's one of my favorite characters though. Even if he did set a negative tone at the beginning of the first game, I'm pretty sure the cast would have never solved what was going on without him. He was pretty much the third most integral person involved in trials and figuring out the overarching mystery.

Also I'm really wishing I could play this series over again without knowing what was going to happen right now.

Alfredo

I powered through Chapter 5 and 6 today, and, man...

Sooo, it wasn't the ending I was hoping for. I wanted Nagito to turn out to be Makoto sooo much, because I really just hate Makoto. Having him turn into a crazy hope-obsessed monster would've "redeemed" him in my eyes, lol.

I totally marked out for Kirigiri's appearance, though. I was waiting the whole game for that. Then they all turned in to the Men in Black at the end. That was weird.

Having your group turn out to be Ultimate Despairs was great, and truly, well, despair-inducing once you realized what that meant! At first, I was bored by Mikan's turn, but it was excellent foreshadowing and really paid off in the end.

Also, I'm finally starting to appreciate Junko's villainy and character. I think my initial impressions on her were tempered due to the fact that I had her true character spoiled for me right from the beginning. This time I had no idea if she was even going to show up in this game, which made me really enjoy her insanity when she did make her appearance.

It's kinda weird that prior to playing this game, so many people assured me that DR2 was infinitely better than DR1. I don't find that to be the case at all. I mean, it's a different experience, but I'm not sure if it was better. I mean, the mini games still suck. I kinda like the music better in the first one. Kirigiri and Sakura will always have special places in my heart. At least there ended up being some likable male characters in this game. That's an improvement, I guess. I freakin' adored Fuyuhiko, especially his voice. The entire English cast is pretty amazing.

Edit: And THANK GOD Chiaki didn't turn out to be a robot. If this game pulled a Persona and added a robot girl in this game, I... I don't know what I'd do.

Steel

Banned
Togami's one of my favorite characters though. Even if he did set a negative tone at the beginning of the first game, I'm pretty sure the cast would have never solved what was going on without him. He was pretty much the third most integral person involved in trials and figuring out the overarching mystery.

Also I'm really wishing I could play this series over again without knowing what was going to happen right now.

Agreed. I actually liked Togami as a character more than Kirigiri, to be honest.

what items unlock the special event CGs for who? the guide only says "someone". that's useless...

Chapter 1:

Replica Sword -> Kaz
An An Aan -> Mahiru after Free Time

Chapter 2:

Man Nut -> Mahiru right after breakfast

Chapter 3:

Radio Battler -> Kaz after Akane and Nekomaru leave the hospital to do "it"
Summer Festreeval -> Ibuki before Free Time
Toy Camera -> Hiyoko before Free Time

LiK

Chapter 1:

Replica Sword -> Kaz