• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

thank you!

No prob! I can't really take credit though, since it was actually PK who told me about all of 'em in the first place.

EDIT: Top of the page deserves the manliest CGI in the game:

Prank_house_duel.jpg

Moonlight

Banned
Hiyoko's unique CG event is paradoxically the most heartwarming and most depressing one in the game when you realize everyone involved in the image dies. :(

LiK

OMG, did anyone check their Monokuma collection after you collected all of them? Monokuma scared the crap outta me by appearing and congratulating me. HAHA

LProtag

Also, I love how they did the same basic style for the end of the final trial too. Having to think of a somewhat unconventional way to refute the points everyone is making while they're in despair. Though, I guess instead of screaming "HOPE!" at them you just keep screaming "FUTURE!", haha.

I'm also a big fan of the main theme playing right when you beat the last portion of the trial too. I'm a huge sucker for when games/shows do that. The ambient beginning of the theme is great too because it builds up into an awesome climax for the climax of the game.

Gazoinks

Also, I love how they did the same basic style for the end of the final trial too. Having to think of a somewhat unconventional way to refute the points everyone is making while they're in despair. Though, I guess instead of screaming "HOPE!" at them you just keep screaming "FUTURE!", haha.

As great as these sequences are thematically, it is pretty funny when you think about them in-universe.

"What are we going to do? Should we give up?"
"HOPE"
"Wha-"
"HOPE"
"That's nice Makoto, but that's not really-"
"HOOOOOOOOOOOPE"

Yeah, the main theme really gets you pumped at those parts.

I mean, I love pretty much the entire soundtrack to both games but still! That in particular!

FluxWaveZ

Oh yeah, one of the best scenes next to this one (thinking of the Climactic Return song):
...was the one where Nagito wants to wrap things up quickly, so he tries to go over everything that happened in the case before Hajime can, combined with the appropriate music. Hajime's just like: "Wait... what?"

Steel

Banned
Oh yeah, one of the best scenes next to this one (thinking of the Climactic Return song):

...was the one where Nagito wants to wrap things up quickly, so he tries to go over everything that happened in the case before Hajime can, combined with the appropriate music. Hajime's just like: "Wait... what?"

That and when you take control of Nagito pushed me more into the Makoto=Nagito camp. I really wish it was true at this point. Oh well.

In either case, totally felt the same as Nagito during that trial. They were all acting like idiots.

Vylash

i just KNEW he was Makoto once that happened

PK Gaming

Nagito's design is just way too good

The dude was a freak, but he had style

Alfredo

I was legit upset at this because the closing manga is one of my favorite parts of the trial, and I thought that Nagito was robbing me of that.

Thankfully, I still got it in the end, lol

Rubedo

I was legit upset at this because the closing manga is one of my favorite parts of the trial, and I thought that Nagito was robbing me of that.

Thankfully, I still got it in the end, lol

On the contrary, I was hoping it meant I didn't have to bother with it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Did you guys like DanganRonpa 1 or 2 more?

Personally, I prefer the story in DanganRonpa 1 more but 2 has a stronger cast, better location, but more bloated in terms of minigames.

Yeah, the main theme really gets you pumped at those parts.

I mean, I love pretty much the entire soundtrack to both games but still! That in particular!

One of my favorite parts of DR2 is the very beginning... They faked you out with the upbeat "island life" theme showing all of the characters, and the feel is off from what you expected from DR, had me half expecting a slight tonal shift in the game.

Then Monokuma happens (again), then they play the real opening with a much darker visual style and DAT MAIN THEME. I let out an audible "fuck yeah!" and knew that everything was gonna be alright.

LiK

Personally, I prefer the story in DanganRonpa 1 more but 2 has a stronger cast, better location, but more bloated in terms of minigames.

pretty much the same as me. if they didn't have those new terrible minigames, would've liked it more.

Vylash

1 had a better setting, but everything else was better in 2

Gazoinks

I prefer DR 2 pretty much all around. Stronger cast, better twists, more interesting locations (even if it didn't have the creepy, claustrophobic feel as much), and, while there were some weaker ones, I think the minigames were generally better.

I preferred 2. The story was more interesting to me and I preferred the chracters as well. The new Hangman's Gambit though was awful- that and Logic Dive seriously hurt the pace of the trials.

Fantastic.

I like pretty much everything better in 2... except Hangman's Gambit. Without going too much into it, I just found it to tell a more varied, interesting, and fun story.

pariah164

I like them both. 2 had the better twists, but 1 had my Super High School Level waifu.

tumblr_inline_mqr0ukV0071qz4rgp.png

SDR2 is more polished in mostly everything. Characters had more time to shine, the cases were more interesting, the locale was more diverse, the trails were more engaging, more things to do, etc, etc.

Too bad DR1 had the best character so I like it just slightlyyyyy more.

Gundam is only in 2, therefore 2 is a better game.

Serious answer: I greatly preferred the music, characters, art and themes of the second game. The writing seemed a lot more self-aware in more ways than one, which lead to a more compelling game overall. Literally the only problems I have with it are Mikan's execution being garbage, The Ultimate Impostor turning out to be a cop-out plot thread so that they could have their cake and eat it too, and the "Improved" Hangman's Gambit being a mostly luck-based endeavour that could screw you over in an instant if you weren't careful.

I like pretty much everything better in 2... except Hangman's Gambit. Without going too much into it, I just found it to tell a more varied, interesting, and fun story.

hangsman gambit on mean ouch. by chapter 5 letters were just flying everywhere. i nearly lost an entire bar just from that one round. Had to put the reticule on max speed to compensate.

DaBoss

There are two things that bug me about DR2 compared to DR1. The god awful mini-games. It is worse that the game itself is saying how much better DR2's mini-games are better than DR1's.

The other thing is the amount of pervy stuff there is. I'm not saying it should be all gone, it is a game about teenagers living together, so it should be expected some sexual themes would be there, but I feel they went overboard with it.

LProtag

I liked the story and characters of 2 a good deal better, but I think the mood of the first game was a lot better.

It felt a bit more tense, and as someone else said, claustrophobic. Generally just more mysterious as well. It turns out there were way more mysteries to solve and figure out in 2, but the first one had the mysterious vibe going on way more.

Not really sure if that makes any sense.

they were way darker and more disturbing. The first one with the baseballs.....

One thing that I think really sealed the deal with the executions in the first game were the reactions of the executed. A bunch of executions in both the games don't have much in the way of explicit violence, at least not shown on-screen, but in DR2 everyone is pretty chill while they're in the middle of these deathtraps. DR1's executions still had impact, even if they didn't show the killing blow, because you'd see Leon's look of panic as he was chained to the pole or Kyoko's face turn blue as she braced herself for going under the compactor. The closest we got to an unwilling execution victim was Teruteru, and while being fried alive is certainly unpleasant, the whole thing was a bit too goofy throughout to be taken all that seriously.

Alfredo

I like DR1 better, but it's probably bias due to the novelty of the thing at the time. DR2 masterfully plays on your expectations coming from DR1, but it's still not as novel as my first time through DR1.

I'm gonna say I enjoyed DR1's soundtrack more, but maybe DR2's will grow on me with time. DR1 also had Sakura, and she's the best. A statue is no substitute.

Honestly, I feel like half the executions in general are hit or miss. When Leon's ended, I pretty much said "holy shit!" out loud. Then Monokuma just started laughing about it afterwards and my jaw dropped. It was an amazing way to set the tone for the rest of the game despite already being like 4 hours into it.

None were quite as brutal as that visually afterwards, but some were still disturbing to think about. Mondo's is supremely fucked up after reading an official explanation somewhere (posted in one of the last thread's), Celes' is tame, Alter Ego's is cruel but irrelevant in the long run, Makoto's doesn't work (though the noise in Kyoko's makes it disturbing), and Junko's supposedly got cut and instead just reused everything.

2 has more functioning executions that actually work on humanoids, but they're much lighter with the possible exception of Teruteru's (though it could have been so much more disturbing if they added more sizzling/whizzing noises to represent his innards popping or fucking up or whatever). Peko's was more psychological, Mikan's was fuckin nothing, Gundham's was more heartwarming than fucked up, Chiaki's was upsetting because of everything that happened up to that point and A.I. Junko's wasn't even an execution.

I hope for 3 that they go balls deep into dark territory. Go even further than Leon's execution.

I wonder if they'll be some variation of executions in Another Episode. Not necessarily something as systematic as the main series, but maybe something like uncontrolled ironic deaths that just kind of happen.

Edit: And what would really be amazing is if they actually made the alternate executions and threw them in a post-game extras section. Of course that's a lot more work than necessary, so not really much point unless the series became a phenomenon out of nowhere like Youkai Watch.

LiK

One thing that I think really sealed the deal with the executions in the first game were the reactions of the executed. A bunch of executions in both the games don't have much in the way of explicit violence, at least not shown on-screen, but in DR2 everyone is pretty chill while they're in the middle of these deathtraps. DR1's executions still had impact, even if they didn't show the killing blow, because you'd see Leon's look of panic as he was chained to the pole or Kyoko's face turn blue as she braced herself for going under the compactor. The closest we got to an unwilling execution victim was Teruteru, and while being fried alive is certainly unpleasant, the whole thing was a bit too goofy throughout to be taken all that seriously.

yea, and turning Teruteru into food was already done with Mondo and his execution is far more disturbing.

petghost

Banned
i also think its super important for the executions to be some kind of play on the characters ultimate ability...some sense of poetic justice and all that. i guess they are generally going for this but it often seems like a stretch.

for instance, mikan sits on an giant arm which is injected with a giant syringe, then the arm turns into a rocket and she is blasted off into space. they had me until the rocket part.

chiaki's was a good example of it done well, i think.

The closest thing to executions confirmed to appear in Another Episode thus far are special attacks Jill can perform that go into cutscenes in which she kills the enemies. All of them shown so far seems pretty light and she's just killing Monokumas so eh. Other than that... uh... the first trailer has a Monokuma gobbling up Komaru for what I assume to be a death sequence but that's about it. If they decide to kill those kid antagonists that could be pretty fucked up, though.

PK Gaming

Yeah, I agree. DR2 executions were strong on a thematic front, but they (mostly) didn't do a good enough job at making you feel downright uncomfortable like in the first game. I actually had a hard time sitting through Leon and Kyoko's execution, because I could imagine myself in a similar situation and feel that Despair. Incidentally, this is why I dislike Celeste's execution; I get what they were going for (she wanted her idealized execution, but surprise Monokuma!) but I think it would have been if she were subjected intense amount of Despair before dying. The manga does is it a bit better by showing a shot of her face before dying.

Actually, that's something 2 does better. Every single execution was related to the talent (except for A.I. Junko's if you even want to count that). In 1, half had nothing to do with the talents.

The way Teruteru's escalates is amazing though. At first you're just like "Blown up by missiles? That's it?" and then you see the giant missile and go "Okay, NO ONE could've survived that," but then the helicopter picks him up and carries him away. As soon as you see the volcano it all finally clicks and you brace for his inevitable gruesome demise.

Leon's is still the best by a long shot, IMO. The shot of his limp body hanging from the pole surrounded by bloodstained balls while the other students simply gaze on in petrified horror is one of the most spine-chilling visuals in gaming.

I think the fact most of the characters face their demise willingly also kind of lightens things. Even Teruteru to some extent accepts it.

That's probably one reason why Leon's is still the best and most uncomfortable in the series. Really hope we get something on par with it when 3 hits.

Though really, I can't imagine any being more effective than that at this point because we all know this series' MO. That innocent feeling pre-Leon execution will never return.

PK Gaming

The way Teruteru's escalates is amazing though. At first you're just like "Blown up by missiles? That's it?" and then you see the giant missile and go "Okay, NO ONE could've survived that," but then the helicopter picks him up and carries him away. As soon as you see the volcano it all finally clicks and you brace for his inevitable gruesome demise.

Leon's is still the best by a long shot, IMO. The shot of his limp body hanging from the pole surrounded by bloodstained balls while the other students simply gaze on in petrified horror is one of the most spine-chilling visuals in gaming.

Right, I forgot to mention that Teru's was the exception. That one made me feel some discomfort as well since it's quite a while before he actually dies. You feel the impact after the missiles explode, and it definitely creates that sense of "so how's this gonna end?".

Alfredo

I've actually never been a fan of any of the executions. I rarely face "despair" while watching any of them. They're all just so crazy and over-the-top and cartoony, which is probably the point. I mean, I feel like Danganronpa rarely gets SUPER dark, so I guess the executions fit.

...but I would totally be into Danganronpa getting SUPER DARK. :p

Leon's gets more of a reaction probably because everyone was basically standing a couple of feet away from the execution scene. Definitely gives it more of the sheer shock of terror. Probably doesn't help they could have smell the blood...

Unlike Teruteru's where it was shown on a giant screen so there was a sense of not being all that attached to it.

I think the fact most of the characters face their demise willingly also kind of lightens things. Even Teruteru to some extent accepts it.

Eh, I'd argue with this. He looks INCREDIBLY uncomfortable during the opening shot of his execution, which switches to a look of terror when the chain snags him and he's dragged away kicking and screaming. Although he's more dazed between when the missiles hit him and when the helicopter picks him up, you can definitely tell from his face when he's finally dropped into the volcano that his last moments of life were spent in a state of complete and utter fear and panic.

Eh, I'd argue with this. He looks INCREDIBLY uncomfortable during the opening shot of his execution, which switches to a look of terror when the chain snags him and he's dragged away kicking and screaming. Although he's more dazed between when the missiles hit him and when the helicopter picks him up, you can definitely tell from his face when he's finally dropped into the volcano that his last moments of life were spent in a state of complete and utter fear and panic.

I just meant that he gives up and calmly talks about it, whereas Leon is crying and begging for his life from the moment he's accused to the start of the execution.

Had no idea what I was in for before seeing Leon's execution- it was painful to watch. I'd love if we got some executions of that caliber again, because damn did it nail the atmosphere of the game.

Top Bottom