• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

JNA

Banned
I just realized, since JYB voiced Hajime, I wonder if Hajime in-game ever made any references to JYB's past anime characters like Leloch from Code Geass or Ichigo from Bleech? I may have missed it but if he didn't, what a missed opportunity. XD

Wait, what? Izuru killed the student council members which the school decided to cover up, then when Junko revealed this to the school that the student council was murdered by a fellow student, she persuaded the Reserve students to kill themselves. That's what pretty much started the whole thing. The first killing game was DR1.

Also Ultimate Inventor hasn't been used yet, but I can see that being overpowered. Inventor =! Mechanic

The first killing game was DR Zero. The student council members were the participants in that game.

MSMrRound

Junko revealed this to the school that the student council was murdered by a fellow student, she persuaded the Reserve students to kill themselves. That's what pretty much started the whole thing. The first killing game was DR1.

No, that's wrong!

Novel spoilers:
Junko set up the first ever killing game was between the Student Council members. Only the president and Izuru made it out of the game alive. The game was broadcast to the Reserve Course students who got agitated that the high fees that they paid to the school was used to rig these sort of killing games and revolted. Their protesting etc soon spread beyond the wall of the school and was actually the trigger behind the "incident" that made the world as it is today, with rioting etc a common part of everyday life.

The first killing game was entirely blamed on Izuru Kamakura, so it was commonly said he killed those 13 students all by himself, when actually, he was trapped in the killing game that Junko had devised.

Junko was also secretly manipulating the reserve course students with their protest etc alongside her Despair organization. They eventually became her followers

JNA

Banned
Ugh, I'm trying to make this my new avatar but it keeps saying the remote file is too large.

Does anybody know how to make this image smaller?

Sonia_(16).png

or if there are any better Sonia artwork avatars? XD

Labrys

Ugh, I'm trying to make this my new avatar but it keeps saying the remote file is too large.

Sonia_(16).png

wcs8RJ5.png

does this work?
or there's this from a set of images i like
1yUsV7I.png

Gazoinks

I think I might have to join the DR avatar horde. Wish Mechamaru wasn't a spoiler. >.> Anyone have any good Gundham fanart?

Oh wait! I can actually google this game now! Hooray!

petghost

Banned
playing through the first game reminded me that they had a mechanic that was taken out in 2 called Re:Action. it basically let you investigate further on whatever subject the highlighted text was about. now its not a great thing as it is and i just wind up reading all the extra stuff but it made me think how nice it would be for there to be branching dialogue in the novel and possibly investigation sections of the game. i think adding some kind of player agency or at least interactivity in these sections would be rad. at this point those sections are mainly composed of clicking on everything important as far as interaction goes.

Gazoinks

playing through the first game reminded me that they had a mechanic that was taken out in 2 called Re:Action. it basically let you investigate further on whatever subject the highlighted text was about. now its not a great thing as it is and i just wind up reading all the extra stuff but it made me think how nice it would be for there to be branching dialogue in the novel and possibly investigation sections of the game. i think adding some kind of player agency or at least interactivity in these sections would be rad. at this point those sections are mainly composed of clicking on everything important as far as interaction goes.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It was annoying in the first game, because it didn't really add anything but requiring more button presses for dialog, but I'd definitely like to see actual dialog responses even if it didn't branch the story.

Nachos

Sonia_(16).png

Try this?
olQpesA.png

Dangit, Labrys, you're too good.

JNA

Banned
Speaking of mechanics, what was everybody's favorite and most disliked mechanic?

For me...

Favorite: Logic Dive. It's simple, fun and the least frustrating.

Most Disliked: Hangman's Gambit. It was kinda easy at first but in later chapters, it gets really difficult and at one point, where even if you know the answer, the wording of that answer is completely different despite the word meaning the same thing.

petghost

Banned
Speaking of mechanics, what was everybody's favorite and most disliked mechanic?

For me...

Most Disliked: Hangman's Gambit. It was kinda easy at first but in later chapters, it gets really difficult and at one point, where even if you know the answer, the wording of that answer is completely different despite the word meaning the same thing.

i hear logic dive getting hated on a lot and yeah...it isa pretty obtuse way to go about answering a multiple choice question, but i found it pretty fun/a neat little distraction and the questions are so direct that there is no room for misinterpretation.

i thought the sword one was pretty dumb just because i was too busy slashing up phrases to actually consider what they really meant. that may have been my fault though.

honestly though...the trial minigames are pretty lacking overall imo. hope they reconsider how those things work in a potential sequel

sub_o

Ultimate Supermodel
Ultimate Dominatrix
Ultimate Goth
Ultimate Deity

Ultimate Dead Guy. The guy is so dead that he's already dead.

For me...

Hangman's gambit is definitely annoying. Some of the non-stop debate can be very ambiguous. I like Logic Dive since it's simple. But in the end, I prefer the multiple choice selection.

i hear logic dive getting hated on a lot and yeah...it isa pretty obtuse way to go about answering a multiple choice question, but i found it pretty fun/a neat little distraction and the questions are so direct that there is no room for misinterpretation.

i thought the sword one was pretty dumb just because i was too busy slashing up phrases to actually consider what they really meant. that may have been my fault though.

Hangman Gambit is probably what most people dislike. The Rebuttal is cool in concept, but sadly most of the time it involves dumb cast (e.g. Nekomaru) arguing about things that they don't get at the first place.

For me...

Assuming we're leaving out Nonstop Debate, then my favorite mechanic was probably the Rebuttal Showdown. It was generally fun, never lasted too long, and had cool music. Also, the argument character cut-ins were awesome.

Hangman's Gambit was my least favorite because it was terrible in pretty much every aspect. I didn't think it was "improved" in the slightest.

TunaUppercut

Neo Member
He didn't know that the diary discerned the traitor's identity. It was brought up in the trial that there was no way he could have worked out based on his own information. He could have asked Hajime sure, but I counter with the notion that Hajime would have flatly refused to answer him. Hajime was extremely distrustful of Nagito, so I definitely don't think would give him any sort of information (Which he's done in the past). Nagito's rather abrasive attitude towards him certainly doesn't lend to that scenario being an actual possibility either. Also, I seriously, seriously, seriously doubt that Chiaki would meet with Nagito by herself (especially without consulting the others). She's been consistently characterized as a sharp person, so it would be out of character to move on her own like that.

In the end, your version of the plan has to many uncontrolled variables. It relies on both Hajime and Chiaki cooperating with Nagito, and it's plain just unnecessary. Why? Because he had absolute faith in his talent. His plan completely hinges on his talent. Like, Chapter 5 was all about trust and the lack of it. Nagito had nobody he could trust, but he placed absolute faith talent. And you know what? His plan worked.It absolutely worked. They only prevailed because Hajime had absolute distrust towards Nagito, in addition to Chiaki stepping in and calming the group down when they were panicking.

But let's assume for the sake of argument that he simply overlooked asking Hajime about what happened.

(Free Time Event spoilers)

Nagito has frontotemporal dementia. Komaeda might be smart, but he's definitely not completely right in the right of mind, so it's absolutely possible to assume that he isn't infallible and that he could have overlooked asking Hajime.

Nagito stole the diary to find out information on the traitor. On his own he could not figure it out who the traitor was. That is why he needed to ask Hajime why he did not enter the dead room and if anyone saw him.

Hajime would not have refused him. If this was chapter 3 then yes he would have. But in chapter 4 everyone (including Hajime) works with Nagito even though they are getting more annoyed with him by the second.

Why wouldn't she meet with Nagito? She wasn't afraid of coming to get him to come to the hotel.

Honestly Chiaki meeting with Nagito isn't even needed for the plan to work. Remember when everyone sends Chiaki to get Nagito to come to the hotel and she does reluctantly? Because she does not think its a good idea to try tying him up again. She tells him to go to the hotel but she never goes.

Nagito wins in this scenario that actually happens in the game.

Nagito could also kidnap Chiaki if he needed to.

This plan is a thousand times easier to execute and more rational then the ridiculous plan he has in chapter 5.

Besides If luck is Nagito's talent why wouldn't any of these not happen through luck? Hes lucky enough to get chiaki to pick up the right container but he can't get a simple answer out of hajime?

Hes lucky enough to win 300 million after being kidnapped but hes not lucky enough to get chaiki away from everyone else?

Yeah I'm not buying it. You don't have to be a genius to come up with a plan this simple.

JNA

Banned
i hear logic dive getting hated on a lot and yeah...it isa pretty obtuse way to go about answering a multiple choice question, but i found it pretty fun/a neat little distraction and the questions are so direct that there is no room for misinterpretation in the way you pointed out with hangmans gambit.

Damn Logic Dive is getting a lot of hate? Why? I loved it. XD I guess they could have made more choices/paths or if they REALLY wanted to make it harder, they could have had you go through each question without knowing if you got them right or not until the very end of it. If you got ANY wrong, then you would have to go back and try again.

I use to hate the rebuttal showdown (if that's the one you were talking about) because in the beginning, I thought it was REALLY confusing at first because I couldn't figure out how to cut the yellow words. I thought I would just constantly press X because the tutorial made a big deal about that. But the I finally found out in a video that I'm supposed to press triangle on the yellow words...oh...whoops. XD

JNA

Banned
Assuming we're leaving out Nonstop Debate, then my favorite mechanic was probably the Rebuttal Showdown. It was generally fun, never lasted too long, and had cool music. Also, the argument character cut-ins were awesome.

Hangman's Gambit was my least favorite because it was terrible in pretty much every aspect. I didn't think it was "improved" in the slightest.

Yeah I also didn't like how it said "improved" when it really got worse.

I had a much better time with it in DR1 when worse case scenario if I didn't know the answer and I was at full influence, I would just spam hit on each letter that comes by until I got the whole word right. XD

petghost

Banned
i've changed my mind and decided that PTA is probably the worst.

like i understand if the point is to form a sentence that is of importance but do i really need to play an incredibly awful rhythm game to get there?

JNA

Banned
i've changed my mind and decided that PTA is probably the worst.

like i understand if the point is to form a sentence that is of importance but do i really need to play an incredibly awful rhythm game to get there?

I kinda think PTA plays out like this if PTA whole thing was actually a conversation:

Killer: IT'S NOT ME YOU IDIOT. YOU'RE STUPID! YOU'RE DUMB! GO AWAY! YOU HAVE NO PROOF! PARIS HILTON!

Me: THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG! (Basically you mashing the x button)

*when all soul shields break*

Killer: OH YEAH!? PROVE IT!

Me: It...wa...you...s...

Killer: ?

Me: uhh...wait!

*a few soul shields come back.

Killer: IT'S NOT ME YOU IDIOT. YOU'RE STUPID! YOU'RE DUMB! GO AWAY! YOU HAVE NO PROOF! PARIS HILTON!

Me: ugh...THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG!

XD

Musolf815

Man, that was like...MGS2 levels of playing with my expectations for a sequel. Crazy all the way through.

I actually thought the twist in this game would be how DR1 would end, I was just waiting for the curtain to lift and reveal it was all a simulation. Then I didn't even consider it in DR2 until the end.

If you told me when I started the game that Fuyuhiko would be one of my favorites in the game I'd think you were crazy.

Also I enjoyed Hajime so much more than Makoto, but I'm not even sure why.

JNA

Banned
Man, that was like...MGS2 levels of playing with my expectations for a sequel. Crazy all the way through.

I actually thought the twist in this game would be how DR1 would end, I was just waiting for the curtain to lift and reveal it was all a simulation. Then I didn't even consider it in DR2 until the end.

If you told me when I started the game that Fuyuhiko would be one of my favorites in the game I'd think you were crazy.

Also I enjoyed Hajime so much more than Makoto, but I'm not even sure why.

That is exactly how I thought too. Everything in the plot between 1 and 2 was reversed in how I thought it was gonna play out too.

Fu "little gangsta" yuhiko. :D

While I did also like Hajime more than Makoto, I won't lie that I thought it was awesome when Makoto came in and then eventually Kyoko and Tagami making awesome entrances. XD

My problem with the PTA segments is that while they're almost exactly the same as the BTBs from DR1, the mechanics that are actually different were horribly described. I thought BTBs were simple, but it took me until Trial 4 before I could reliably do the PTAs- and by that point, the fever mode lasted long enough for me to mash X until I got to the sentence portion.

Yeah, Fuyuhiko actually ended up being my favorite out of the entire cast. I felt his development worked out really well, whereas whatever they tried with Akane sort of fell flat.

Moonlight

Banned
Logic Dive was the best. Loved how creative it was, and it was engaging without being too frustrating. All the ones before the last one, at least. Hangman's Gambit was by far the worst, though. It'd have been less of an issue if they'd left you hint letters like in the first game but for some baffling reason they chose not to do it again, so half the time you're left guessing and fucking up until you finish the first word and the other half of the time you're stressing out over all the bullshit flying everywhere.

And I smell an excuse to post fanart.

Sadly, I am poorly learned in Pixiv browsing, so I couldn't find as much art as I wanted to. Although, it has convinced me that Gundham/Sonia is the best.

BONUS ROUND 'cause this one's my favourite

also addressing this

Hes lucky enough to win 300 million after being kidnapped but hes not lucky enough to get chaiki away from everyone else?
Ultimate Luck doesn't literally influence people's actions, he would never be able to get Chiaki by herself by convincing her since that's not how it works. It's rare instances of serendipity that happen to benefit him that he can't possibly predict and can only unreservedly trust.

Besides, the way that Nagito's talent even works seems to be this weird hills-and-valley system of calamity and fortune. He got '300 million' from getting kidnapped by a goddamn murderer, and he caught Chiaki/the others in his trap by killing himself.

Musolf815

That is exactly how I thought too. Everything in the plot between 1 and 2 was reversed in how I thought it was gonna play out too.

Fu "little gangsta" yuhiko. :D

While I did also like Hajime more than Makoto, I won't lie that I thought it was awesome when Makoto came in and then eventually Kyoko and Tagami making awesome entrances. XD

Me too! I freaked when Kyoko showed up (she was my favorite in the first game).

Vylash

For me...

Favorite: Logic Dive

Least favorite: PTA, hated it in the first game and i hate it even more now

Gazoinks

I kinda think PTA plays out like this if PTA whole thing was actually a conversation:

Me: THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG! (Basically you mashing the x button)

*when all soul shields break*

Killer: OH YEAH!? PROVE IT!

Me: It...wa...you...s...

Killer: ?

Me: uhh...wait!

*a few soul shields come back.

Me: ugh...THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG THAT'S WRONG!

XD

I prefer imagining PTA as a hardcore dance battle, myself.

JNA

Banned
Me too! I freaked when Kyoko showed up (she was my favorite in the first game).

The only thing that could have made their entrances cooler was having them come out in those suits they wore in the epilogue and sunglasses. That would have been pretty legit. XD

Steel

Banned
Her lines are pure gold! :D

Even if I don't like Sonia, I can agree with this.

Her best line(after it's pointed out that the DR1 peeps were forced to watch everything that the survellience cameras showed in ch 6):
(Paraphrasing here)
Sonia: B-but... I did disgraceful things in front of those cameras.

Byakua: Yes. Yes you did.

Sonia: Now I will never be queen!

Anybody got screenshots of that moment? Priceless.

Moonlight

Banned
The only thing that could have made their entrances cooler was having them come out in those suits they wore in the epilogue and sunglasses. That would have been pretty legit. XD
Those suits were so damn boss. I'm really sad there's not enough art of them wearing those things. Especially Kyoko.

JNA

Banned
Those suits were so damn boss. I'm really sad there's not enough art of them wearing those things. Especially Kyoko.

Yeah I was surprised how good Kyoko looked in a suit. It matched her perfectly. Why go back to wearing her old school uniform after that? XD

Vylash

random question, but do we ever get the specifics on what happened to Kyoko's hands? that always bugged me since it served no greater purpose except for a few seconds of suspicion in 1

Even if I don't like Sonia, I can agree with this.

Her best line(after it's pointed out that the DR1 peeps were forced to watch everything that the survellience cameras showed in ch 6):
(Paraphrasing here)
Sonia: B-but... I did disgraceful things in front of those cameras.

Byakua: Yes. Yes you did.

Sonia: Now I will never be queen!

Anybody got screenshots of that moment? Priceless.

I love that one too haha. Byakuya's reaction kills me.

I'm not really a big fan of Akane, but one of my favorite lines in the game was from her in the first trial: in reference to (fake) Byakuya, she's like "He was hiding under the table to surprise us! That guy was always a big jokester". I don't know why, but her complete misread on him just cracked me up. It felt like it came out of nowhere.

MSMrRound

random question, but do we ever get the specifics on what happened to Kyoko's hands? that always bugged me since it served no greater purpose except for a few seconds of suspicion in 1

I believe her hands were burnt, and she said it was from her time just starting off as a detective? No doubt she got involved in something nasty when investigating.

pariah164

Are there any good LPs for DR 1 and 2 out there? Preferably ones where someone doesn't do character voices/read dialogue? I can't stand LPs like that.

We need some of the bigger LPers to do Danganronpa like Pewdiepie or Markiplier. Get the series some more exposure.

Though I don't know if PDP playing Corpse Party really helped sales for Xseed too much.

MSMrRound

Avoid NicoB's if you can't stand him doing character voices.

Other two LP I'm watching is SirLionHeart's and Sagemaster15.

Sagemaster15 is rather decent.

SirLionHeart gave me a headache when he kept on messing up on rebuttal showndown/spending 15 minutes figuring out closing argument. Other than that, he's okay as well.

Alfredo

When you go to Monomi's house, behind all her spares, there's a sign hanging there with some text, but the spares cover it up. What does it say?

I tried taking a screenshot while the room "assembled" but I was never fast enough to get just the sign.

Here's a closer shot. You can see the sign behind Monomi.

petghost

Banned
Are there any good LPs for DR 1 and 2 out there? Preferably ones where someone doesn't do character voices/read dialogue? I can't stand LPs like that.

there is a screenshot lp from somethingawful that blew up a while back. as far as i know it was pretty important for exposing this game to the west and i think it really helped make the fan translation/any kind of western attention happen. i remember a ton of non-SA members flipping out cuz they werent able to read it anymore due to paywall or something.

http://lparchive.org/Dangan-Ronpa/

MSMrRound

From Official OT:

"well if it's true that they are the same then i'm gonna be totally upset because that's like endgame spoilers not end of chapter one spoilers."

Aargh. Don't go asking this stupid kind of question if you do not want to know then.

Poster was refuting someone about Nagito and Naegi, then a couple of people pointed out that Nagito Komaeda can be changed to "I am Makoto Naegi", which led poster to slightly flip out. >.>

JNA

Banned
From Official OT:

"well if it's true that they are the same then i'm gonna be totally upset because that's like endgame spoilers not end of chapter one spoilers."

Aargh. Don't go asking this stupid kind of question if you do not want to know then.

Poster was refuting someone about Nagito and Naegi, then a couple of people pointed out that Nagito Komaeda can be changed to "I am Makoto Naegi", which led poster to slightly flip out. >.>

Really? He's freaking out despite not having not finished the game yet?

Well I guess he is in for a wonderful surprise then in his case lol.

Also now that I finished the main story, I can watch these videos and laugh. XD

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wzUABz1cV00

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HnNi3Oe9l-E

Vylash

I believe her hands were burnt, and she said it was from her time just starting off as a detective? No doubt she got involved in something nasty when investigating.

Yeah i know her hands got burnt, was just wondering if we got more insight on that, like on the zero novels or something

Vylash

oh god there are Kirigiri novels too? how much non game media is there for this series? just make them all games so i can keep up :(

JNA

Banned
If we are getting more novels, I would love to see a Togami DR Novel. Would love to know more in detail about his past.

Top Bottom