• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

I finished the game, played case 3-6 in a single sitting.

That was amazing, I'm so going to platinum this game but not right now because I'm burnt as fuck.

Chiaki's fucking amazing and the best girl ever, holy shit. Her execution destroyed me emotionally.

MSMrRound

this guy doesn't :(

Your reasoning is out of focus!

tumblr_inline_n762emApzG1r07ial.png

Chiaki is clearly second.

Btw, why does it have to come out on the 18th here in Italy? ù_ù
That's so annoying. I would have already re-finished if it came out on the 5th like everywhere else.

cheesekao

Byakuya died because Teruteru wanted to stop Nagito's plan but killed Byakuya by accident. Okay.
Mahiru died because she was an accomplice in the killing of Fuyuhiko's sister. Okay.
Nekomaru died but he had a mutual agreement with Gundham and it was to help their friends. Okay.
Chiaki outed herself as the traitor to save her friends. Okay.
Ibuki died just because Mikan's a bitch. Shit son! Why!?

I'd be less annoyed if Mikan's motive wasn't some vague love crap.

The game as a whole is great and all but at least there were competent people who survived DR1. All of the survivors in DR2 sans the MC are simply dead weight.

OceanBlue

Teruteru died because he wanted to stop Nagito's plan. Okay.
Mahiru died because she was an accomplice in the killing of Fuyuhiko's sister. Okay.
Nekomaru died but he had a mutual agreement with Gundham and it was to help their friends. Okay.
Chiaki outed herself as the traitor to save her friends. Okay.
Ibuki died just because Mikan's a bitch. Shit son! Why!?

I'd be less annoyed if Mikan's motive wasn't some vague love crap.

The game as a whole is great and all but at least there were competent people who survived DR1. All of the survivors in DR2 sans the MC are simply dead weight.

It wasn't really "vague love crap" though, since it was implied she was talking about Junko. The "sickness" turned Mikan back into Ultimate Despair. If I remember correctly, she was fine with dying because Junko was dead, but I think she just wanted to kill people and inflict despair.

Hmm, I'm having a hard time figuring out when to talk to Kazuichi with the Replica Sword. I got every other event though.

Edit: Actually, maybe Mikan knew about Junko's plan at that point and wanted to kill them all off so Junko could inhabit their bodies.

cheesekao

It wasn't really "vague love crap" though, since it was implied she was talking about Junko. The "sickness" turned Mikan back into Ultimate Despair. If I remember correctly, she was fine with dying because Junko was dead, but I think she just wanted to kill people and inflict despair.
Killing just for the sake of killing is still a pretty weak motive IMO. A little more back story could have added more depth to her character. Something like "The other Ultimate Despairs bullied her even though she's part of their clique." would have sufficed.

OceanBlue

Killing just for the sake of killing is still a pretty weak motive IMO. A little more back story could have added more depth to her character. Something like "The other Ultimate Despairs bullied her even though she's part of their clique." would have sufficed.

I don't see why Mikan would need a motive as Ultimate Despair when they live for inflicting despair. I don't disagree with you though; the murder is definitely Mikan's biggest issue as a character. Mikan was the only character for whom murder wasn't used to further character development. Mikan was used to foreshadow how fucked up the characters become because of Junko. I'd say that she basically dies midway through the chapter, when she gets her memory back, instead of at the execution.

One thing that I do like about her character is that, at the end of her FTEs, she refers to you as the person who forgives her. It's a cute way of saying that Hajime can become her emotional pillar instead of Junko IMO.

PK Gaming

TunaUppercut said:
Nagito stole the diary to find out information on the traitor. On his own he could not figure it out who the traitor was. That is why he needed to ask Hajime why he did not enter the dead room and if anyone saw him.
Hajime would not have refused him. If this was chapter 3 then yes he would have. But in chapter 4 everyone (including Hajime) works with Nagito even though they are getting more annoyed with him by the second.

Nagito steals the diary in the 5th chapter. After his constant derisive remarks and cold attitude displayed towards hajime during the 4th chapter trial (which legitimately bothers Hajime - a guy who has a complex about feeling worthless) I seriously doubt the latter would be inclined to talk to Nagito on a one to one basis. In any case, there's no way of absolutely knowing what Hajime would do for sure. At best, it's just conjecture on your part (which is why you can't say that your plan is inherently "better"). Furthermore, here's a difference between cooperating with each other for the trial (which Hajime does reluctantly) and divulging information related to his actions. How exactly would Nagito word the question? The question itself is incredibly suspicious. Why would Hajime talk to Nagito about his moment of weakness. I think it would play out something like this:
Nagito: (-insert extraneous text here) Hajime, you attempted to go to the final dead room yes? What made you change your mind?
Hajime: (?!? How did he know that?) "It's none of your business. "
Why wouldn't she meet with Nagito? She wasn't afraid of coming to get him to come to the hotel.

Honestly Chiaki meeting with Nagito isn't even needed for the plan to work. Remember when everyone sends Chiaki to get Nagito to come to the hotel and she does reluctantly? Because she does not think its a good idea to try tying him up again. She tells him to go to the hotel but she never goes.

Because it's potentially dangerous? There was a chapter where someone died because they blindly followed the instructions of a letter. There's no doubt in my mind that Chiaki would discuss the contents of the letter with the group and decide on a plan of action. Yes, they sent her away to get him, but there's a difference there. They decided on sending her together as a group. They were in control in that scenario, not Nagito.

Nagito wins in this scenario that actually happens in the game.

Perhaps. You're plan is completely predicated on Hajime telling Nagito exactly what he wants.

Nagito could also kidnap Chiaki if he needed to.

Assuming he could pull it off. I seem to recall Chiaki saying she'd be able to escape from Nagito if he tried s

This plan is a thousand times easier to execute and more rational then the ridiculous plan he has in chapter 5.

Rationality and Nagito don't exactly go hand in hand, but that's besides the point. Your plan may be easier to execute, but the chance of failure is higher as well, since it completely relies on the action of others.

Besides If luck is Nagito's talent why wouldn't any of these not happen through luck? Hes lucky enough to get chiaki to pick up the right container but he can't get a simple answer out of hajime?

Hes lucky enough to win 300 million after being kidnapped but hes not lucky enough to get chaiki away from everyone else?

Yeah I'm not buying it. You don't have to be a genius to come up with a plan this simple.

That's not how his talent works. It works in cycles. He experiences a bout of bad luck then a proportional amount of good fortune. It doesn't let him influence others. Also, as confident as he is in his luck, he can't make use of it on his own volition. At best, he can pray for a good outcome.

Do you recall the bad luck he received before getting accepted into Hope's Peak? It was
fucking Dementia and cancer.
<--- F.T.E spoilers.

LX_Theo

Banned
The characters in the story at that point believe Usami is a robot or a remote controlled one. Why would a robot need a diary? Why would Usami need to write down information instead of using other widely available technologies. How could a robot write in a diary without fingers? Holding an item and writing is quite different for robots to do.
Still no.

Why would a robot need a diary? Why would a robot need to pretend to be a magical girl? Why would she turn a chicken into a cow? Usami always did random stuff that didn't totally add up to the cast. No reason to think it different here.

You're completely capable of writing as long as you can grip the pencil. Can you write well or effectively? No, but the book showed no signs of being well written in the first place. In fact, it'd probably be harder to believe that one of the students had writing skills at that level over Usami being able to write it.

No offense, but your reasoning for why he should have figured it out is inherently flawed and is starting to sound simply contrived.

Ryuukan

Finished this last night. The original game was way better. Much better story and characters.

I don't understand this obsession with Chiaki aside from "female gamer." Most bland character ever.

kewlmyc

The first killing game was DR Zero. The student council members were the participants in that game.

No, that's wrong!

Novel spoilers:
Junko set up the first ever killing game was between the Student Council members. Only the president and Izuru made it out of the game alive. The game was broadcast to the Reserve Course students who got agitated that the high fees that they paid to the school was used to rig these sort of killing games and revolted. Their protesting etc soon spread beyond the wall of the school and was actually the trigger behind the "incident" that made the world as it is today, with rioting etc a common part of everyday life.

The first killing game was entirely blamed on Izuru Kamakura, so it was commonly said he killed those 13 students all by himself, when actually, he was trapped in the killing game that Junko had devised.

Junko was also secretly manipulating the reserve course students with their protest etc alongside her Despair organization. They eventually became her followers

Looks like I know what I'm doing next. DanganRonpa Zero seems too important to not bring over here. I know NiSA doesn't do printed books, but I'd love for the book to come here officially so I don't have to read tumblr translations.

LiK

Akane acted like a typical meathead but learning about her background definitely made her pretty interesting. Hints of child abuse and exploitation and living in poverty was pretty unexpected.

Hiyouko was the worst character. Her bitchy attitude was always awful. She wasn't just being crass but was just plain mean. Her background as some rich girl with daddy issues didn't mean much for me. She reminded me of Byakuya except more neglected. But the way she treated everyone was just irritating. Even maxing out her "friendship" didn't warm her up to me.

Ryuukan

Akane acted like a typical meathead but learning about her background definitely made her pretty interesting. Hints of child abuse and exploitation and living in poverty was pretty unexpected.

Hiyouko was the worst character. Her bitchy attitude was always awful. She wasn't just being crass but was just plain mean. Her background as some rich girl with daddy issues didn't mean much for me. She reminded me of Byakuya except more neglected. But the way she treated everyone was just irritating. Even maxing out her "friendship" didn't warm her up to me.

Calling her the worst character means she served her purpose well. Would be a dull survival game if it was just a happy family.

LiK

Calling her the worst character means she served her purpose well. Would be a dull survival game if it was just a happy family.

Worst as in she's just a bad character. I hated Nagito but he's a GREAT character. Hiyouko served her purpose as being a character I wanted dead asap. I was glad she was gone in Chapter 3.

Ryuukan

Worst as in she's just a bad character. I hated Nagito but he's a GREAT character. Hiyouko served her purpose as being a character I wanted dead asap. I was glad she was gone in Chapter 3.

you wanted her dead because she called people names? yikes

Holy Fuck does this game have a fucking ending!

This is exactly how a sequel should be, expanded and improved upon the original in nearly every way.

Visuals, Voice Acting, Music, Story, Characters, Gameplay, everything was really well executed, no pun intended.

Some highlights for me;

Bryce Papenbrook as Nagito - A few people I know do not like Bryce as a VA, and after hearing him as Makoto in the original game I was cautious to hear how he would play Nagito. He Nailed It! While all voice actors have a slight case of Same Voice Syndrome, (Johnny Yong Bosch is a huge sufferer of SVS), Bryce pulls off this one by using such perfect inflections in Nagito's 'despair' states. Also that psychotic laugh is fucking creepy!

PS. I should clarify, JYB is amazing in this game! Yes, he sounds exactly the same as a lot of his other characters, but you can just hear the emotion in his words here. Stellar Performance.

New Trial Minigames - Ok, so hands up, who went into this completely blind and expected a FF7 style snowboarding minigame? No you didnt Dave, put your hand down! Logic Dive, Improved Hangman's Gambit, Rebuttal Showdown and Panic Talk Action all add more depth to the trial sequences. The rebuttal showdown was a particular favourite of mine, a one on one debate, having to carefully pick apart your opponent's arguments and then counter them! ALLOW ME TO CUT THROUGH THOSE WORDS!

Characters - In the original Danganronpa, I liked all of the characters but only LOVED 3, main villain not included, (Mondo, Aoi and Celestia for those wondering). And in this game there was only 3 that I DIDNT love, Fake Byakuya (not expanded upon enough), Kazuichi Soda (Similar to Hagakure, survived due to non-involvement, also she aint interested dude, get over it) and Hiyoko Saionji (just annoyed me). The writers clearly improved upon characterisation in this game, and it shows.

That Ending - Even though this is the spoiler thread, I'm not going to say anything about it. It is simply something you have to experience for yourself.

Annnnyway, This game is amazing! I'm going to go Platinum it now!

OceanBlue

I don't completely agree. She wasn't ever uncooperative like Nagito or Fuyuhiko were. She just said mean things and stuck around with the group. As far as antagonistic characters went, she was probably the least effective. As far as I saw it, her purpose was to start warming up to the group after Mahiru died, but even then Fuyuhiko did the heel-turn character type better. I guess the difference was that one died.

LiK

you wanted her dead because she called people names? yikes

She's useless. Constantly screaming and yelling at people and crying through the entire game. Yes, I wanted her dead. Thanks Mikan.

Why do YOU like her? Please enlighten me.

Ryuukan

I don't completely agree. She wasn't ever uncooperative like Nagito or Fuyuhiko were. She just said mean things and stuck around with the group. As far as antagonistic characters went, she was probably the least effective. As far as I saw it, her purpose was to start warming up to the group after Mahiru died only to die herself, but even then Fuyuhiko did the heel-turn character type better.

She's useless. Constantly screaming and yelling at people and crying through the entire game. Yes, I wanted her dead. Thanks Mikan.

Why do YOU like her? Please enlighten me.

I just meant she was a good foil for some of the characters. Obviously she should have died asap to give gaf more time to watch Chiaki drool and talk about RPGs.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't completely agree. She wasn't ever uncooperative like Nagito or Fuyuhiko were. She just said mean things and stuck around with the group. As far as antagonistic characters went, she was probably the least effective. As far as I saw it, her purpose was to start warming up to the group after Mahiru died, but even then Fuyuhiko did the heel-turn character type better. I guess the difference was that one died.

This is how I see it, too. Saonji was set up to have the faceturn occur, but she died too quickly to see that really come to fruition. As it stands, she served little purpose other than to have a loli in the cast.

She was crass, unhelpful, and emotionally abusive. That can be sort of fun, but I don't think it actually accomplished anything in the game.

Puru

Finished the game yesterday, i felt the trials outside of hangman gambit and the rythm games (which were aweful and hurted the game massively imo) were more interesting overall. But really, fuck those minigames.

I liked the story just as much as the first. I don't really think one is better than the other, i could easily understand if someone liked the first game story better.
Characters i'm kinda mixed, i felt the only really interesting ones (or with some kind of personality) outside of Nagito (who was easily the best of the cast) all died after chapter 4. I'd say it's the same overall but the surivors are all bland as can be, i wouldn't even want to see them back in an eventual 3, infact i had issue remembering who was still with me.

I felt Hiyoko would have been far better if she didn't cried at all.
Still i didn't mind her, if anything i missed how rotten she was. Also i really liked when she made a grave for Mahiru. Yes i definitly missed Hiyoko. I think everybody hating her just pretty much means she was successful as a character.

As for Chiaki... i felt she was boring, really outside of her heroic sacrifice she was just as bland as everybody else who survived.

LiK

This is how I see it, too. Saonji was set up to have the faceturn occur, but she died too quickly to see that really come to fruition. As it stands, she served little purpose other than to have a loli in the cast.

She was crass, unhelpful, and emotionally abusive. That can be sort of fun, but I don't think it actually accomplished anything in the game.

That's pretty much how I felt about her.

PK Gaming

In the same event, he said he was lying about that...I think.

The Komaeda spinoff manga by spike and the official setting material confirm that he was telling the truth.
His hair color certainly lends credence to those claims and its perfectly in line with how his talent works.

OceanBlue

I just meant she was a good foil for some of the characters. Obviously she should have died asap to give gaf more time to watch Chiaki drool and talk about RPGs.

I guess she provided a good contrast of personality. I don't think she was set up to be a foil to anyone, but that's probably because I've never thought of it until now lol. I don't know who she's a foil to. I understand where people who like what she brought to the group are coming from though, considering the people who were left. I'd rather had her than Kazuichi. >__>

I think her quick death before her complete heel-turn was on purpose too. At the very least, I personally felt sad when she died before completely warming up to the group.

Venfayth

Hiyoko was friendly to the only one in the game who ever reached out to her. She and Kazuichi are the only ones who ever did something for a victim after they died. Hiyoko felt more human to me than most of the cast.

LiK

Hiyoko was friendly to the only one in the game who ever reached out to her. She and Kazuichi are the only ones who ever did something for a victim after they died. Hiyoko felt more human to me than most of the cast.

Mahiru was the most "human" character to me. I liked her background and she was a pretty complex character. I was genuinely pissed she died.

OceanBlue

Chiaki was a blank slate for gamers to construct their own ideal m'lady

My interpretation of Chiaki was that she was supposed to be the blank AI-type character. She was supposed to start from nothing and develop enough compassion outside of her scope that she could tell everyone that she was the traitor and sacrifice herself even though she wasn't supposed to be able to. I found it really endearing.

I think the way Hiyoko warmed up to Mahiru was strangely abrupt, but otherwise I agree. I personally think Fuyuhiko felt more human, but that's not anything against Hiyoko that only one person sticks out in my mind.

Lol, this discussion has definitely improved my opinion on Hiyoko. I didn't really think about her as a character too hard before.

It was for a good cause

:(
If you think about how it affects the rest of the cast, especially Fuyuhiko and Hiyoko, I guess that's true.

OceanBlue

Mahiru was the most "human" character to me. I liked her background and she was a pretty complex character. I was genuinely pissed she died.

She was probably the epitome of "an average person placed in a surreal situation" in this game, more than Hajime. I like plain characters and I found her backstory easy to relate to, so she was my favorite for a while. :D

LiK

She was probably the epitome of "an average person placed in a surreal situation" in this game, more than Hajime. I like plain characters and I found her backstory easy to relate to, so she was my favorite for a while. :D

Totally agree. I really liked her. Even tho she died in Chapter 3, I found her way more interesting than most of the other characters.

MSMrRound

also how many times did you say ahhh under your vita and tap it to catch Chiaki's drool

round to nearest 100

Are you usually known for your shit-talking?

If not, would really appreciate it if you keep the discussion in the spoiler thread civil. Thank you.

About Mahiru, I kind of like her character too. Quite a few like to blast her for her picking on the men, but I thought she was more than that. She's kind of a motherly character, which was why she was quick to come to the help of other characters and what's not.

Her relationship with Hiyoko reminded me of Aoi and Sakura, in that despite missing their memories, they were able to form a quick bond (maybe it might be memory remnants of her spending her time together in the same clique?)

Was too bad that she's kind of fit the "early victim" archetype though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Chiaki had a cute English VO and design. But as a character, she wasn't that interesting to me. I liked all her gaming talk but that's from her programmer dad.

I actually didn't find her video game referencing all that interesting. She could have been anything other than the Ultimate Gamer and I would have still liked her. I can get how someone might think she's boring, but I just found her calming presence sweet and comforting. She was like Kirigiri, but without the edge.

Her reveal and circumstances surrounding her judgment/execution hit me harder than any of the others.

Top Bottom