• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

JNA

Banned
It's pretty much exactly the same. Don't worry about building Usami's requests the first time around, just work on building Tools and grinding your characters' search level. Also be sure to designate two people as your cleaners so that you don't get screwed over in future runs.

Oh that part I know. I'll just forget the requests the first time and just do what you said as well as complete the report cards.

Junko's shared between Erin Fitzgerald (P4G/A/TA's Chie) and Amanda Miller. Couldn't get one VA to cover all the personalities she had, haha. Top-notch stuff on both their parts, though.

Yeah Amanda too. Does anybody know which kind of lines did both of them do? Like did Erin do Kawaii Junko or Amanda for Rocker Junko?

Only partially. Chie's VA only did some of the personalities.

Amanda C. Miller did the rest and the her "main" voice.

Oh so Amanda was like...80% Junko would you say? 0_0

Moonlight

Banned
I think Erin Fitzgerald did Monojunko, DR2's brand new Kid Junko, and like... maybe Regal Junko. I'm a little dodgy on that one myself. I might be missing one besides this, but I'm pretty sure the rest of her personalities were handled by Amanda Miller.

Amanda and Erin also shared Toko in DR1!

EDIT: Oh, that's right. Erin definitely did Librarian Junko.

LiK

They both did amazing work. So cute and sexy too. Their work on Junko deserves more recognition. One of the best performances of the year.

JNA

Banned
I think Erin Fitzgerald did Monojunko, DR2's brand new Kid Junko, and like... maybe Regal Junko. I'm a little dodgy on that one myself. I might be missing one besides this, but I'm pretty sure the rest of her personalities were handled by Amanda Miller.

I wish Toko made an appearance too. She was mentioned a little bit in the epilogue but other than that, not much at all.

Also where was Aoi (ala my DR1 waifu)!? I wanted to see what she was doing too. :(

They both did amazing work. So cute and sexy too. Their work on Junko deserves more recognition. One of the best performances of the year.

It really was! :D

Especially the lines where Junko was drooling every time Makoto said his cool lines. XD

Rubedo

I wish Toko made an appearance too. She was mentioned a little bit in the epilogue but other than that, not much at all.

Also where was Aoi (ala my DR1 waifu)!? I wanted to see what she was doing too. :(

Well we know Toko is in AE but there is just absolutely nothing on Aoi or Yasuhiro. Which is odd.

Moonlight

Banned
I think Yasuhiro's older sister/mom/some sort of female relative is in AE, and Asahina's brother is in it as well. No clue where they themselves went, though.

yasuhiro offed by ultimate despairs pls

JNA

Banned
Well we know Toko is in AE but there is just absolutely nothing on Aoi or Yasuhiro. Which is odd.

Awwwwwwww. :( I imagine her being an owner of a donut shop or something. XD

I think Yasuhiro's older sister/mom/some sort of female relative is in AE, and Asahina's brother is in it as well. No clue where they themselves went, though.

yasuhiro offed by ultimate despairs pls

Wait...AE? Sorry if this is a stupid question but what's that? 0_0

and take Soda too while they are at it. XD

sub_o

I wonder how long till we get Danganronpa 3?

Will we see Zero Escape 3 before that?

Awwwwwwww. :( I imagine her being an owner of a donut shop or something. XD

Wait...AE? Sorry if this is a stupid question but what's that? 0_0

and take Soda too while they are at it. XD

Another Episode, the upcoming Danganronpa shooter game.

Moonlight

Banned
Ah, sorry. Another Episode. The midquel starring Toko and Makoto's sister that involves shooting Monokumas with your... speaker phone?

I'd stake a punishment on us getting DR3 looong before we ever get ZE3.

sadly :(

JNA

Banned

I'm pretty sure we will get a DR3. Didn't they secretly announce that there will be one in that first DanganRonpa Another Episode trailer in the end?

As for ZE3...well... :(

LX_Theo

Banned
I'm pretty sure we will get a DR3. Didn't they secretly announce that there will be one in that first DanganRonpa Another Episode trailer in the end?

As for ZE3...well... :(
It was the announcement trailer for AE, actually, I'm quite sure of. :p

I think that Danganronpa 3 needs to break away from the whole mind wipe and Hope's Peak freshmen deal, because at this point there's really not much else they can get out of that plot point. I think that starting off the game with the full understanding of what's been going on with the rest of the world might make for an interesting scenario, since that also means that the cast knows about the first game (and thus making events play out very differently). It would also be nice to have the cast be primarily Hope's Peak graduates, as that would tie into the theme of people that have left school and experienced the reality of the real world.

In other words, a Danganronpa game that completely overturns the traditional setting and cast of characters on its head.

Having Hope's Peak alumni or staff could be interesting, but also probably pretty difficult. Remember, the academy guarantees success, meaning they likely have pretty tough courses. Everyone would have to be geniuses, so no more stupid moments from whoever and cases that logically should be solvable even by the least intelligent of the cast.

Though the course selection may be entirely catered to said character's talent, so I guess they could still be dumb in other subjects but graduate all the same.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Did she do Rocker Junko, too? That sounds like something she'd do.

I actually played with the Japanese voices. I believe Junko is only voiced by one actress there.

JNA

Banned
The only thing I hope for DR3 is a new Monokuma. I loved Junko but I think it would get stale if she were the "final boss" the third time. I mean, she should finally be dead physically and mentally right? XD

I would have been fine if he died and no one was spared instead. How about that.

5(264).png

My CE finally arrived so I guess I have two physical copies of the game now. The OST, Monokuma shades and million-dollar sticker are worth it, though.

Having Hope's Peak alumni or staff could be interesting, but also probably pretty difficult. Remember, the academy guarantees success, meaning they likely have pretty tough courses. Everyone would have to be geniuses, so no more stupid moments from whoever and cases that logically should be solvable even by the least intelligent of the cast.

Though the course selection may be entirely catered to said character's talent, so I guess they could still be dumb in other subjects but graduate all the same.

The bolded is not necessarily true. If everyone is expected to have a certain level of competency and ingenuity, then that would also mean that culprits will have to be far more creative and prepared to make sure that they clear this new baseline. So the biggest problem would instead be how to make trials interesting without having to deal with Yasuhiro-tier arguments.

Jamix012

Wow, having just finished this game it's so much better than the first. I'm floored.

I have a few unrelated-to-major-plot observations/questions.

Chiaki's room has 4 consoles (which were slightly changed.) I recognised one as an American NES and one as a Japanese Sega Saturn. Anyone know the other 2?

The button that Monokuma smacks to initiate the punishment is rested on top of a Sega Game Gear. Obviously the red/black graphics that follow are virtual boy, but I was wondering if anyone knows if the music that plays during this section actually uses the virtual boy sound chip?

Amongst other references, one of the more obscure ones that Chiaki makes when you hang out with her is to the NES Shmup Zombie Nation, recently reviewed on Jontronshow, where you play a floating samurai head and shoot buildings down in the US.

Rubedo

In the Artwork Gallery, all I'm seeing are the Character Arts and alternate Execution title cards.

In DR1, you could unlock all kinds of promo images and stuff. Is there a way to get stuff like that in this one? Like the Promo Arts where there's stuff like Chiaki surrounded by console while her hood is up, Akane doing some kick thing similar to Sakura's art from the first one, Byakuya sitting on a throne with a turkey leg, etc?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Finally able to participate in this. I tried to avoid any and all spoilers after being dumb enough to glance at Junko's wiki page after beating the first one. Scrolled two lines two far and ended up reading about Nagito's connection to her and how she survived in some capacity.

Regardless of knowing those things, the game was still so twist heavy and kept me guessing at every turn. Chapter 4 is probably the only time it stalled for me. The chapter itself was fairly interesting but it dragged too much and the environment was very unpleasant to look at. I know that's part of the setup there, but still. Final Dead Room was very interesting, even though it ended up just giving me the final code while I was still trying to figure it out.

At one point I felt they were aware of how it was taking too long and tried to reign it in by having Nagito doing the case recap hijack thing during the trial, but then it swerved and we still had to do the minigame after all.

Wanted Gundham to make the final lineup but figured he wouldn't when someone in the main thread posted about how he hated a thing he did so much, making it fairly obvious he'd be one of the killers.

I really liked how they were able to twist expectations of people who played the first one. Nagito being a perversion of Makoto for one. Starting the first case with the apparent murder of a character you figured was safe and pivotal (Byakuya) and revealing the memory loss setup so early on.

One thing that struck me as a bit weird was how the characters never believed any of those things relating to it and the outside world and never actively pursued that mystery all that much. Especially since the second case game pretty much confirmed at least that part.

Hope the next game has enough budget for full voice acting during the story. Especially during the trials it feels very artificial how the main trial is fully voiced and then the emotional aftermath has a weird mix of text only, approximate voice quotes and full lines being read. If I'm not mistaken Makoto had voiced soundbites and/or character portraits in the first one in the small conversations whereas Hajime didn't. Unless I'm imagining this, I didn't like how this made it feel like he had a smaller presence. Because of the vertical text indicating which character's speaking and the lack of portrait I sometimes didn't catch he said a certain line rather than the character he was speaking with.

...wait a minute, Junko voiced by the same woman who voiced Chie!? Did not except that! IMO this is her best role yet.

Actually I think Junko is voiced by two different people in English because of the different personalities. In Japanese she's voiced by Toyoguchi Megumi and it's also probably her best role.

Shout out to the Japanese voice acting in both Danganronpa games and the seiyuu jokes/ references.

If I remember, the two Japanese seiyuu I think they sought after were Sonia's seiyuu Arakawa, Miho because I think someone there really liked Mawaru Penguindrum, and I think Peko's seiyuu Mitsuishi Kotono who famous for voicing Sailor Moon. Doesn't seem like much of a coincidence either considering what Peko does during I think Chapter 2?

I can only recall two VA jokes in the English version:

-Kaz asking "Just who the hell do you think I am?" in reference to Kyle Hebert's role as Kamina in Gurren Lagann

-Ibuki shouting "The power of SCIENCE!" in reference to Julie Ann Taylor's role as Kokonoe in BlazBlue

Shahadan

I'm not quite sure I could enjoy a third Dangan Ronpa, unless they change a lot of things.
I mean, I don't understand this game. I feel like it's constantly trying to ruin my enjoyment.
It annoys you with pointless minigames, and worst of all it spoils its own twists to you way before the actual moment.

I really don't get it. I'm more angry/annoyed than anything when I play it.

LiK

I'm not quite sure I could enjoy a third Dangan Ronpa, unless they change a lot of things.
I mean, I don't understand this game. I feel like it's constantly trying to ruin my enjoyment.
It annoys you with pointless minigames, and worst of all it spoils its own twists to you way before the actual moment.

You felt major despair?

petghost

Banned

despite the fact that i enjoy the good parts enough to overlook a lot of the bad, i understand where you are coming from. what kinda makes it sting is that still i think these games have a lot of potential for having interesting gameplay/mechanics on top of an fun cast/story. i think something as simple as reactive or branching dialogue, even if it doesnt greatly effect the story would really help the player feel like they some agency in this game! the investigation gameplay comes down to CLICK ON IMPORTANT THINGS THEN LEAVE ROOM and of course the mini games are passable at best and obtuse, frustrating and a waste of time at worst.

really hoping that the surprise popularity of these games leads to them having a budget big enough to actually tweak the formula, although im also resigned to the fact that jp devs tend to be incredibly conservative once they have found something that works. i think AE is a good sign that they are at least willing to experiment, though.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I didn't get about the endgame was that given the stakes the easy solution for Makoto's crew would have been to kill the bodies of everyone who died in the game before graduation. If the rest of the FF was entirely in the dark about this, they still should have taken the precaution to post armed guards before the pod room. The other three survivors could have been assigned that duty and might have been able to follow the graduation. Not saying they should have done this, but a passing mention to the possibility would have been nice.

OceanBlue

i think something as simple as reactive or branching dialogue, even if it doesnt greatly effect the story would really help the player feel like they some agency in this game!

Regarding this idea in particular, I think part of the problem is that the game can't let Hajime's personality be overshadowed by yours. I'm not saying that branching dialogue shouldn't be added at all or that players should have no agency in a game where they play a character with their own personality. In my experience though, most games that utilize branching dialogue (like P4) lean more towards self-insert protagonists, so I'm kinda wary of the idea.

Edit: If you think about it, the game does kinda have reactive dialogue in some of the FTEs.

Puru

Doing Chiaki Social Link after finishing the game was kinda interesting. Also just remembered all the times Monokuma broke the 4th wall talking about how everything was just a game, clever little bear.

Questions:
I'm missing one picture to witness between the three protagonists from the first game and Miharu+Hiyoko fanservice picture, and also the last one from the video section, did i missed them, do i need to get stuff from the monokuma machine or something else (like island mode/novel)?

petghost

Banned
Regarding this idea in particular, I think part of the problem is that the game can't let Hajime's personality be overshadowed by yours. I'm not saying that branching dialogue shouldn't be added at all or that players should have no agency in a game where they play a character with their own personality. In my experience though, most games that utilize branching dialogue (like P4) lean more towards self-insert protagonists, so I'm kinda wary of the idea.

Yeah but I think it really comes down to how it's written. In the free time events (sorry not sure what to call them...the social links) hajime is often asked a question where he can answer several different ways and the person he is chatting to reacts accordingly. I thought all of those options and the internal dialogue he had with himself all sounded distinctly hajime. Even an established character can have more than one and sometimes conflicting thoughts, emotions etc.

I finished this back on the weekend at a timely 3AM because that's what these games do to you, why sleep when you can sleuth you could say.
I'm still gathering my thoughts though, after I finished the first game I never really had much to say about it despite enjoying it, perhaps it was because the ending wasn't as conclusive as I'd like along with the characters not connecting with me that much. So with that in mind I was hoping Dangan Ronpa 2 would be the sequel to take what I thought was a good game into a great one. It doesn't quite pull that off but on the upside it doesn't really fall any lower either.

To get the grumbly gripes out of the way first they managed to make the minigame like aspects even more intrusive than before, enough has been said about the so called improved hangman's gambit that I need not say anymore but even other areas like the Rebuttal Showdown manages to botch a nice concept because it's hard to really pay attention to the arguments when I'm more focused on slashing them down in a timely fashion. This series seems to have something of an angle where Class Trials are always on the move, you don't really get times to step back and think as the clock is always ticking and the statements you need to focus on going round and round on loop, this approach can simply put be a pain in the arse when you're having trouble figuring out the logic and the Rebuttal Showdown really emphasises this.
And as per trial game woes like in Ace Attorney as well there are a few moments where I felt like multiple pieces of evidence could refute someone's claim but only one is accepted and some moments of plain silliness (who the hell decides to bludgeon someone to death with a gravel packed swimsuit?!), at times it's like I had the correct events in mind but was lost to what the game's logic was asking from me at a specific moment.

I wasn't digging the game as much as I'd have liked throughout the first three chapters, for the third in particular I had something of a tunnel vision moment going on where I was sure that Ibuki's gullible state was going to lead to something bigger regarding the deaths but it in fact was a rather small part of the mystery so I ended up more out the loop than I really should've, that and the conclusion felt really unsatisfactory and kind of an asspull regarding the motive which does at least turn into some slight foreshadowing for a later big reveal at least.
But boy did chapter 4 help turn a corner for me, the funhouse concept led to a really unique setup for the mystery where solving the murder was also solving the riddles of the house's layout, then Chapter 5 just took it home with the convoluted suicide ploy being the best kind of batshit crazy, it's so wrong yet so very right, Nagito you magnificent bastard.
Really could have done without the Junko redux at the end , didn't like her as the villain first time around and liked it even less here but the ending did came across more conclusive this time and the Ultimate Despair twist was the real winner of the late game swerves.

Earlier I put some time into Island mode (I never actually went into the first game's equivalent) just so I could get more backstory for some of the characters as a few of them come across as heavily one note or just rather unlikeable, some characters gave me then answers I seeked while others did not, I'll never truly know why Gundham talks in the (humorous) manner he does but I don't regret actually taking the time to see if there was more to the cast as there were a few tidbits worth learning.
Game could have done with cooling it a bit on the crude and lewd humour, while I'm open to a few silly jokes and even the odd fanservice moment I could've done without the oft repeated Teruteru and Kazuichi dialogue of creepy lusting like it's their defining character trait.
I've got to take out the time to say how much I appreciated Nagito's role in this game, his heavily twisted logic that manges to make an inkling of sense coupled with the way he acts in class trials made him fascinating in the context of how a trial could play out. He helped carry an air of mystery throughout leading to his fabulous finale that brilliantly called upon his ultimate talent in a clever way, he's the guy you love to hate, considering Byakuya was my favourite character in the first game maybe this is a trend with me.
Mahiru earned some points as well through my hope crystal gathering, she seemed like a more down to earth character which is actually kinda refreshing within the batch of zany ones, shame she got bumped off so soon.

So yeah it was good fun, not what I'd personally consider a definite improvement over the first seeing as it takes steps backwards and forwards in various ways leading to it standing in roughly the same spot but it'll likely find itself jockeying for a GotY top 10 list position in direct competition with the first game.

OceanBlue

Yeah but I think it really comes down to how it's written. In the free time events (sorry not sure what to call them...the social links) hajime is often asked a question where he can answer several different ways and the person he is chatting to reacts accordingly. I thought all of those options and the internal dialogue he had with himself all sounded distinctly hajime. Even an established character can have more than one and sometimes conflicting thoughts, emotions etc.

Yeah, it's probably up to the writer's skill in the end. Regarding the FTE events though, the questions (that I've seen) tended to be open-ended and the answers tend to be inconsequential.

I guess they could always do it the way P4 does it (aka dialogue choices which generally only affect one line after if anything at all). I found those really tedious though. :<

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Doing Chiaki Social Link after finishing the game was kinda interesting. Also just remembered all the times Monokuma broke the 4th wall talking about how everything was just a game, clever little bear.

That really worked for me, because it felt like clever writing where it poked fun at itself and seemed self-aware about some of the more silly aspects of the first one. Great payoff and it's also totally a thing Junko would do. I'm sure some people guessed the outcome based on it, but I never felt the game was outright blatant about future plot developments other than some of the case titles. Lots of clever foreshadowing.

MSMrRound

Gundham's manner of speech was because of "chuunibyou", or eighth grade syndrome that he have. It's basically "play pretend", e.g wielding special powers which can tear through space and time/ a hero of justice/dark flame master etc.

These type of characters are more commonly seen in Japanese productions e.g a certain recent anime...so no surprise that owl wasn't too used to it.

Top Bottom