• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone clarify if Nagito knew it was a simulation? I thought he did based on the Hope's Academy file. His reaction right after was very strong and I do believe it mentioned stuff like Hiyoko's growth spurt and maybe some of the body alterations the Remnants did that wouldn't be reflected in their avatars. But I may be way off here. If he knew it was a simulation I can definitely see him surviving or recovering before the others would.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Nagito's a better antagonist than Junko.

I'd agree with that.

Junko, while great, feels like something of an unstoppable force of nature or an idea.

With Nagito, you see the gears turning, and you know there's something terrifying behind his friendly smile. He's a person would who doesn't fear death or pain. He would not hesitate to slice himself or anyone else open for his beliefs. Peeking into his mind really does seem like it would be stepping into calm, collected madness.

Can anyone clarify if Nagito knew it was a simulation? I thought he did based on the Hope's Academy file. His reaction right after was very strong and I do believe it mentioned stuff like Hiyoko's growth spurt and maybe some of the body alterations the Remnants did that wouldn't be reflected in their avatars. But I may be way off here. If he knew it was a simulation I can definitely see him surviving or recovering before the others would.

I don't believe Nagito knew it was a simulation. Nagito didn't even know who the traitor was. The point is that he was always a nutjob, even before becoming an Ultimate Despair. This is why he viewed all of the others with such disdain after reading the Academy file. He discovered they weren't symbols of hope, but symbols of despair... himself included. Which is exactly why he wanted all of them to die (including himself) so he could transcend and become the Ultimate Hope.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I don't believe Nagito knew it was a simulation. Nagito didn't even know who the traitor was. The point is that he was always a nutjob, even before becoming an Ultimate Despair. This is why he viewed all of the others with such disdain after reading the Academy file. He discovered they weren't symbols of hope, but symbols of despair... himself included. Which is exactly why he wanted all of them to die (including himself) so he could transcend and become the Ultimate Hope.

Yeah that part I got and it's definitely what made him great. Knowing of the simulation wouldn't necessarily reveal the identity of the traitor though, but it would shed light on the traitor's role.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah that part I got and it's definitely what made him great. Knowing of the simulation wouldn't necessarily reveal the identity of the traitor though, but it would shed light on the traitor's role.

You mean, if he knew it was a simulation, but not of Junko's plan? I can't remember if there's really anything pointing to that either way, but Nagito might've pieced it together. The only thing for sure is that he did not know Junko's plan.

I like to imagine that the Ultimate Despair mostly used their abilities for the sake of despair.

Mahiru: Blackmail photos
Impostor: Framing others for actions they didn't commit
Teruteru: "Cooking" other people...not necessarily literally, it could also be arson...but I'm not convinced it couldn't have happened literally
Souda: We already saw the results of his despair self in DR1's executions
Peko: Should be self-explainatory what she'd do
Fuyuhiko: He'd abuse his position of power for despair
Sonia: Same as above
Ibuki:...preeeeeetty sure she can easily make people deaf

Stuff like that

Gazoinks

I like to imagine that the Ultimate Despair mostly used their abilities for the sake of despair.

Mahiru: Blackmail photos
Impostor: Framing others for actions they didn't commit
Teruteru: "Cooking" other people...not necessarily literally, it could also be arson...but I'm not convinced it couldn't have happened literally
Souda: We already saw the results of his despair self in DR1's executions
Peko: Should be self-explainatory what she'd do
Fuyuhiko: He'd abuse his position of power for despair
Sonia: Same as above
Ibuki:...preeeeeetty sure she can easily make people deaf

Stuff like that
Oh man, I'm just imagining Despair Gundham going on rampages with his Devas of Destruction. So good.

JNA

Banned
Nagito's a better antagonist than Junko.

In terms of making the viewer hate that character like your supposed to with antagonist? Yes he trumps Junko in that regard. XD

Speaking of which I wonder if the survivors will try to bring him back to life like they are trying to bring the others?

Gazoinks

In terms of making the viewer hate that character like your supposed to with antagonist? Yes he trumps Junko in that regard. XD

Speaking of which I wonder if the survivors will try to bring him back to life like they are trying to bring the others?

I think Hajime is probably too nice not to, even if it's probably not a good idea.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
You mean, if he knew it was a simulation, but not of Junko's plan? I can't remember if there's really anything pointing to that either way, but Nagito might've pieced it together. The only thing for sure is that he did not know Junko's plan.

Yeah. As I recall the Academy file had info on everyone's school life, which of course revealed the Remnants of Despair thing and is the source of his disdainful attitude afterwards. But I think it also had pictures of the cast 2-3 years later that would not match up with the avatars.

JNA

Banned
Oh man, I'm just imagining Despair Gundham going on rampages with his Devas of Destruction. So good.

tumblr_inline_mqgysePD7o1qz4rgp.png

He did say his hamsters were not there true form after all! 0_0

Shahadan

Since Kyoko mentioned at the end the chances of comatose ultimate despairs to wake up are close to zero, I think we can assume Nagito will wake up by himself with his Luck.

JNA

Banned
Since Kyoko mentioned at the end the chances of comatose ultimate despairs to wake up are close to zero, I think we can assume Nagito will wake up by itself with his Luck.

Oh man your right...

Damn that luck talent is not so useless XD.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Since Kyoko mentioned at the end the chances of comatose ultimate despairs to wake up are close to zero, I think we can assume Nagito will wake up by himself with his Luck.

Yeah, that'd be another out. His luck seems geared towards survival, but living in misery all the while.

I'd rather imagine them sitting on his shoulders with tiny evil overlord hamster capes...while he lets loose lions, tigers, and other dangerous animals to attack people.

Yeah. As I recall the Academy file had info on everyone's school life, which of course revealed the Remnants of Despair thing and is the source of his disdainful attitude afterwards. But I think it also had pictures of the cast 2-3 years later that would not match up with the avatars.

But we don't know said pictures were included right? There could've easily just been pictures of when they first entered the academy and that's it. Hell, seeing how Monokuma kept going out of his way to cover Chiaki's non-existence I wouldn't be surprised if he had also gone out of his way to only include pictures of them in their first year.

LX_Theo

Banned
Something I've been wondering about. If/When Mikan wakes up. Is she gonna be Ultimate Despair Mikan like she was by the time of her death?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
But we don't know said pictures were included right?

That's what I'm not sure about. In either case, I don't think this will be the last we see of him. I wonder if they're keeping an eye on the Western reception of the game and its characters and will take some of that in consideration.

Something I've been wondering about. If/When Mikan wakes up. Is she gonna be Ultimate Despair Milan like she was by the time of her death?

Good question. She completely reverted to Remnant status there.

JNA

Banned
Anyone else who would have regained their memories at that point probably would have, as well.

Hajime did come back as his pre-despair self though so there is a small chance they could too (along with the near zero chance they actually wake up).

Rubedo

Something I've been wondering about. If/When Mikan wakes up. Is she gonna be Ultimate Despair Milan like she was by the time of her death?

Seeing as how somehow recovering deleted avatars and somehow getting brains that have already ceased functioning (basically dead) would already take a huge amount of skill and tampering with the program, I'm sure they could find a way to alter the memories.

But because of how impossible it seems to actually do the right things to get the bodies to awaken, I don't think any of them will come out of their state ever. Except maybe Nagito by random chance.

FluxWaveZ

Hajime did come back as his pre-despair self though so there is a small chance they could too (along with the near zero chance they actually wake up).

If Hajime regained his memories suddenly in chapter 3 like Mikan did, I guarantee he would have reverted to Izuru.

Shahadan

Obviously not

However, while the possibility that he wakes up because of his luck is real, there's also the possibility that he dies/died because of his sickness while in the coma.

I reaaaallly don't think such a character will die like that. There is too much left to do with him.

By the way, someone else thought he sent major Junko vibes sometimes? He has a pose when he's condescendent or mean that always made me think of her...I didn't think of verifying if she has a similar pose. Iirc he's using his junko hand during that pose and the other hand is always used to be friendly.
I may be mistaken but I found that interesting if it's intended.

Also his hair made me think of Junko right from the start, obviously.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Obviously not

However, while the possibility that he wakes up because of his luck is real, there's also the possibility that he dies/died because of his sickness while in the coma.

The good luck/bad luck thing seems like a sadistic thing. If you get into his backstory he's been through tremendously shitty things like accidents and kidnappings but he keeps surviving and there's some twisted balance thing. Like his parents die, but he gets more money than he can mange. He gets kidnapped...and somehow also gets money out of it. Here he could survive yet another situation, but the dementia could drive him more insane. He could have a rare cancer, yet at the same time be one of the few people who still live long lives despite it. Shit, I'm getting dangerously close to fanfiction territory.

Rubedo

I reaaaallly don't think such a character will die like that. There is too much left to do with him.

By the way, someone else thought he sent major Junko vibes sometimes? He has a pose when he's condescendent or mean that always made me think of her...I didn't think of verifying if she has a similar pose. Iirc he's using his junko hand during that pose and the other hand is always used to be friendly.
I may be mistaken but I found that interesting if it's intended.

Also his hair made me think of Junko right from the start, obviously.

His appearance made me think of what it'd look like if Junko and Makoto had a kid.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If Hajime regained his memories suddenly in chapter 3 like Mikan did, I guarantee he would have reverted to Izuru.

But did Nagito or Akane even remember what they did during their Despair Disease after they were cured? If not, Mikan would likely revert back once her affliction had healed.

EDIT: Oh, but Monokuma just arbitrarily healed them all at a point in the story... did that include Mikan, since no one knew she was afflicted?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
They may very well have died before Gundham got podded. Hamsters don't live very long, and they lost, what, two years' worth of memories?

It'd be extra sad if Gundham was playing with fake hamsters all the time.

JNA

Banned
oh i was just joking, i just think izuru's hair is gross is all

Indeed.

Hinata_(17).png

I think the artists were A LITTLE lazy with this design. It's basically Hajime with really long hair. I thought there would be different facial features like more scars on the face, different body structure, etc.

Rubedo

It could be that after becoming insane and all despairing and stuff he just didn't care about them as much. It seems like his whole befriending animals and "Lord of Hell" routine is because he's lonely but if he got attention from Junko and grew a devtion to her he may have cast them aside for her.

Shahadan

His appearance made me think of what it'd look like if Junko and Makoto had a kid.

I think that's the point actually, to me he's like the embodiement of both Hope and Despair. Also fits his Luck/Bad Luck thing. Plus he has basically a friendly hand and an evil hand.
Plus I'm guessing he's popular, I'm pretty sure we'll see him again in a major role.

Stabbing his own hand during his suicide was a nice nod btw, I thought.

Also I was surprised to read on the wiki his name was not intended to refer to makoto, he has too many similarities. I don't really buy that :x

LX_Theo

Banned
Hamsters don't live long enough for the ones he had entering high school to still have been around, right. Shoot, they might even be linked to why he became Ultimate Despair

FluxWaveZ

But did Nagito or Akane even remember what they did during their Despair Disease after they were cured? If not, Mikan would likely revert back once her affliction had healed.

It was a unique trait of the Despair Disease that Mikan was afflicted with, since each of them were unique (most likely designed specifically by Monokuma). Mikan's made her remember everything that happened, so I'm not sure that she would really revert back to being her previous self since it seemed that Akane and Nagito were aware of their sickness once they were cured. It was left nebulous, but I think she was fully cured at the end of the trial, just like Nagito and Akane.

Let's remember that Izuru gives no fucks about anything at all, so I'm pretty sure the long hair is him stopping giving a shit about appearances...Honestly I hope he still gave a shit about personal hygiene though.

Rubedo

Indeed.

Hinata_(17).png

I think the artists were A LITTLE lazy with this design. It's basically Hajime with really long hair. I thought there would be different facial features like more scars on the face, different body structure, etc.

It actually looks better there than the shot where he has gray hair on the ship. In the ship scene when it actually shows him, he looks like he's just wearing a long mop on his head. Doesn't look like real hair at all at that part.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Hamsters don't live long enough for the ones he had entering high school to still have been around, right. Shoot, they might even be linked to why he became Ultimate Despair

I'd like to imagine Makoto and the rest spending 6 months of R&D time on hamster integration.

PK Gaming

Indeed.

Hinata_(17).png

He looks a lot better with his suit

And you guys, Izuru is frighteningly popular on tumblr/2chan for some reason

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
It could be that after becoming insane and all despairing and stuff he just didn't care about them as much. It seems like his whole befriending animals and "Lord of Hell" routine is because he's lonely but if he got attention from Junko and grew a devtion to her he may have cast them aside for her.

What made his death sad is that Sonia really started to warm up to him near the end.

JNA

Banned
Let's remember that Izuru gives no fucks about anything at all, so I'm pretty sure the long hair is him stopping giving a shit about appearances...Honestly I hope he still gave a shit about personal hygiene though.

"Showers?...how boring. I purify myself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka."

free cookie to anyone that gets the reference XD.

Top Bottom