• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Gundham's manner of speech was because of "chuunibyou", or second grade syndrome that he have. It's basically "play pretend", e.g wielding special powers which can tear through space and time/ a hero of justice/dark flame master etc.

These type of characters are more commonly seen in Japanese productions e.g a certain recent anime...so no surprise that owl wasn't too used to it.

Ah I see, I think this may well be the first time I've come across that term, well a quick follow up on this certainly seems to explain things.

Gundham's manner of speech was because of "chuunibyou", or second grade syndrome that he have. It's basically "play pretend", e.g wielding special powers which can tear through space and time/ a hero of justice/dark flame master etc.

These type of characters are more commonly seen in Japanese productions e.g a certain recent anime...so no surprise that owl wasn't too used to it.

Note, it's middle school second grade syndrome or more like 7th grade syndrome.

We wouldn't want to think he's been like this since the 2nd grade of school :p

OceanBlue

Mahiru earned some points as well through my hope crystal gathering, she seemed like a more down to earth character which is actually kinda refreshing within the batch of zany ones
:D

I definitely don't think your appreciation towards Nagito was just you lol. His role as a semi-antagonist definitely makes him a more interesting character, and he was also one of the few competent characters of the game along with Chiaki!

Regarding Gundham...

Maybe his delusional personality and his Ultimate Breeder talent are all supposed to complement his loneliness. That character trait tends to be used in anime by characters who have trouble interacting normally with people. He implies in his FTEs that he has trouble getting close to people (I think he says he has no friends), so maybe it's something similar.

That really worked for me, because it felt like clever writing where it poked fun at itself and seemed self-aware about some of the more silly aspects of the first one. Great payoff and it's also totally a thing Junko would do. I'm sure some people guessed the outcome based on it, but I never felt the game was outright blatant about future plot developments other than some of the case titles. Lots of clever foreshadowing.

I feel the same way lol. I'm sure there are a lot of people who picked up on the hints in the game, but I'm not very clever so I was blindsided by everything that happened in the game. It was definitely a roller coaster ride for me. Fun stuff.

Shahadan

That really worked for me, because it felt like clever writing where it poked fun at itself and seemed self-aware about some of the more silly aspects of the first one. Great payoff and it's also totally a thing Junko would do. I'm sure some people guessed the outcome based on it, but I never felt the game was outright blatant about future plot developments other than some of the case titles. Lots of clever foreshadowing.

Well you basically know it's a virtual world by the first minute of the game...after that the self aware jokes were funny but annoying real quick considering how many there are imo.

OceanBlue

Well you basically know it's a virtual world by the first minute of the game...after that the self aware jokes were funny but annoying real quick considering how many there are imo.

Lol, I had no idea. At most I just thought Hajime was a robot or something.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Nagito was done phenomenally. Even having accidentally read a spoiler that said he was part of Ultimate Despair he managed to be a really surprising addition to the cast. I think knowing that small detail might have actually thrown me off in guessing the Ultimate Remants reveal earlier than I did as he felt like such a separate entity from the rest of the group.

Chapter 3 had a bunch of red herrings for me. Ibuki absolutely sucking at what was supposed to be her talent felt like it would have a deeper meaning than it did, unless her free time stuff did something extra with that. Other than that I thought her high suggestibility from the disease meant Mikan ordered her to take her own life. Would have been more sinister too and it wouldn't have negatively impacted her plan and lastly I thought the Despair disease would have been one of Junko's more potent tools in spreading global despair.

I don't know. I think the game did it fairly well. They certainly steered you in that way early on, but more so with Usami's comments about the island and her stick than the references, which could easily have been something Monokuma would do in the first. As for the quantity of them, also totally a Monokuma/Junko thing. No self-moderation at all.

I feel like Danganronpa steers you in a certain direction a lot of times, only to flip the script later on or alludes to something only to not bring it up for a very long time so you can't always tell which thing was a red herring or something with a long term payoff. The artificial island hints were brought up early, but were then absent for a very long time, Monokuma jabs aside.

MSMrRound

Chapter 3...for the longest time I had the notion that Mikan got Ibuki to kill off Hiyoko before finishing her personally cuz of that gullible disease Ibuki had. Apparently not=/

Too much overthinking and co-relating it to the double murder in DR1.

Her execution is still the worst out of both games though.

Dunno, it depends on how attentive someone is at all the hints that are provided.

Some people can just see it as a stylish choice of the game or whatever.

JNA

Banned
I think overall the English cast did a great job with this dub. Unlike last game, I don't think I could say one or two character stood out as bad voice acting.

Besides MAYBE Usami and Monokuma but I think their voices are supposed to be annoying. XD

arue

Chapter 3...for the longest time I had the notion that Mikan got Ibuki to kill off Hiyoko before finishing her personally cuz of that gullible disease Ibuki had. Apparently not=/

Too much overthinking and co-relating it to the double murder in DR1.

Her execution is still the worst out of both games though.
That's what I thought too at first.

I thought Mikan told Ibuki to kill Saionji and then kill herself afterwards. I was thinking too much about it because of the Wizard of Monomi.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Are the messed up things the Ultimate Remnants did all things that we're supposed to be able to match to a character? Like the person who implanted Junko's eye. Thought that was Gundham when they showed that, but apparently the red eye's a contact. The starved person looks like it could have been Mikan. No clue about the necrophile.

Vylash

Hajime was the only english voice i didn't like, but everyone else did a great job, especially Ibuki, Sonia, and Chiaki, but i'll never unhear Chiaki as Nepgear

I wonder what would've happened had Mikan told Ibuki to kill Hiyoko and then herself. Would it have been counted as murder-suicide with Ibuki as the culprit or would have Ibuki counted as a tool of Mikan? If the former, how would've the group dealt with Mikan after the trial?

JNA

Banned
Hajime was the only english voice i didn't like, but everyone else did a great job, especially Ibuki, Sonia, and Chiaki, but i'll never unhear Chiaki as Nepgear

tumblr_static_hinata5.png

You did not like the great JYB!? 0_0 Blasphemy good sir Blasphemy!

Shahadan

Dunno, it depends on how attentive someone is at all the hints that are provided.

Some people can just see it as a stylish choice of the game or whatever.

I thought it would have worked better without the fake bugs right at the start. The jokes and allusions to powers and magic stick and whatever alone would have been enough, imo.

Though I agree it probably flew over the heads of many people, and that's better for them anyway.
It's kinda like many things during cases. For example, chapter 4. I'm sure a lot of people appreciated the title of the chapter and how cute the hamsters are at pushing a button, but I couldn't help myself seeing the game already told me Nekomaru was going to die killed by Gundham, and maybe I wouldn't have thought about it if the developpers hadn't made art specifically to show the hamsters pushing the button.
And it's like that in many instances, like how many times Nagito or Chiaki pointed at key evidence very early on and then went "oh but it's probably nothing important..."

Jamix012

Are the messed up things the Ultimate Remnants did all things that we're supposed to be able to match to a character? Like the person who implanted Junko's eye. Thought that was Gundham when they showed that, but apparently the red eye's a contact. The starved person looks like it could have been Mikan. No clue about the necrophile.

I kind of presumed that the self starving was Akane (given that she's the biggest eater.)

Regarding the eye though. Heads up for potential Dangan Ronpa: Another Episode spoilers here. It's in Japanese, but presumably since his eye is like that in real life (is AE real life?) it's because he took Junko's.

That's fan-made. I'd still assume Junko's eye went to Fuyuhiko because it was alluded to with the whole eyepatch business. Pretty sure the guy gunning people down in the streets is Kazuichi too, judging by the beanie.

Moonlight

Banned
I kind of presumed that the self starving was Akane (given that she's the biggest eater.)

Regarding the eye though. Heads up for potential Dangan Ronpa: Another Episode spoilers here. It's in Japanese, but presumably since his eye is like that in real life (is AE real life?) it's because he took Junko's.
That's fanmade. :lol (still cool, though)

But yeah, Fuyuhiko was likely the one that took Junko's eye. Mikan was probably the, uh, other one, but she didn't actually do Junko's corpse, she harvested her ovaries I think.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
It's kinda like many things during cases. For example, chapter 4. I'm sure a lot of people appreciated the title of the chapter and how cute the hamsters are at pushing a button, but I couldn't help myself seeing the game already told me Nekomaru was going to die killed by Gundham.

That was the worst one for me. Title pretty much spelled out he was going to be the victim. Then they spent such a long time detail his sleep mode and the radio clock thing you knew they'd be core elements of the murder. Also saw a bit of DR1 mirroring in how the character who just underwent a transformation like Kiyotaka, got picked off the next chapter. In chapter 3 it was obvious the murder scene would have been the music venue because it was the more elaborate set piece. Noticed the two stepladders instantly for instance, but that wasn't too bad as it didn't tell you anything about the victim or killer.

Volcynika

I laughed near the end when all that dialogue was being said and after each bit, Monokuma was like "Cuz it's a game!" for like 5 times repeating.

That's fanart, but I agree that Fuyuhiko is likely the one that got her eye. Hell, maybe even both Fuyuhiko and Gundam got one?

MSMrRound

Junko's eye=Fuyuhiko (notice how he had to wear an eyepatch now because Peko somehow accidentally sliced it up while being controlled by Monokuma?).

Firing at people=Souda.

Starving=Akane.

Want to have Junko's children=Mikan, who might have taken Junko's ovaries.

JNA

Banned
That was the worst one for me. Title pretty much spelled out he was going to be the victim. Then they spent such a long time detail his sleep mode and the radio clock thing you knew they'd be core elements of the murder. Also saw a bit of DR1 mirroring in how the character who just underwent a transformation like Kiyotaka, got picked off the next chapter.

The one that got me with Neko being the victim was when Neko explained his "secret button" being his sleep button and how it turns off all his functions for a certain amount of time.

My best guess is:
Gunning down people: Souda
Sacrificing family: Sonia
Starving self: Akane
Eye-scream: Fuyuhiko

I wonder what would've happened had Mikan told Ibuki to kill Hiyoko and then herself. Would it have been counted as murder-suicide with Ibuki as the culprit or would have Ibuki counted as a tool of Mikan? If the former, how would've the group dealt with Mikan after the trial?

Probably depends if it can be convinced if Ibuki counted as a tool or not. Wouldn't that be similar to case 2?

Probably tie her up like Nagito, lol

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Soda seems pretty evident. I can see Fuyuhiko too given what has been said, maybe a splitsy with Gundham depending on the contact thing being legit, plus he has that scar on the non-red eye. I actually thought Gundham could have been the necrophile too for a moment or at least related to whoever that is. Could be a logical perversion of his Ultimate Breeder talent.

Soda seems pretty evident. I can see Fuyuhiko too given what has been said, maybe a splitsy with Gundham depending on the contact thing being legit, plus he has that scar on the non-red eye. I actually thought Gundham could have been the necrophile too for a moment or at least related to whoever that is. Could be a logical perversion of his Ultimate Breeder talent.

According to the artbook, Gundam's red eye is a contact and his "scar" is a tattoo.

Also I'm of the opinion that Gundam was the ineffectual sympathetic villain of the Despair Gang. He probably just tilted paintings and threw hamsters at people.

Shahadan

I don't think you can base it on Gundham ingame look since his memory was taken away and he should be looking like he did when he entered the Academy. Fuyuhiko works because it happens by monokuma's hand and it was probably done knowingly.

MSMrRound

Necrophile was probably Teruteru anyway. Guy is fucked up.

Teuruteru was theorized to have eaten his mother.

While the picture of Teruteru as a pig links to his tonkatsu frying-style execution, it could also signify cannibalism, as pigs are known to eat human flesh as well. Given how much he loves his mother...that might be something that happened before they entered the Neo World Project.

I like to believe that when Gundham was a despair he was probably acting exactly the same expect he actually had magical powers and becoming normal sealed them up.

It might have been posted in this thread and I missed it, but what evidence is there pointing to Teruteru having killed/eaten his mother? It seems more likely to me that his mother's ailing condition, or perhaps her passing, was the catalyst in causing him to go full-on despair (though yeah that's not as interesting).

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
While I hope Junko stays dead, I would totally love for this guy to be the mastermind of a killing game(they could make it work if the cast finds a way to revive their friends, including him). Seeing him come out at the final class trial would be pretty epic, kinda disappointed that didn't happen in this one.

I actually thought Nagito might have an out, during the Graduation Exam. A lot of time I spent establishing how the deaths are real because the people who experience them believe they are. Nagito however was the only one of the group who knew they were inside a simulation and maybe his game death only resulted in a more shallow coma because of that. Besides that he's shown to have incredible conviction, as evidenced by his murder setup and absolute belief in his Ultimate Luck.

I don't think you can base it on Gundham ingame look since his memory was taken away and he should be looking like he did when he entered the Academy. Fuyuhiko works because it happens by monokuma's hand and it was probably done knowingly.

Good point, but it could still be a synchronicity thing.

Vylash

It might have been posted in this thread and I missed it, but what evidence is there pointing to Teruteru having killed/eaten his mother? It seems more likely to me that his mother's ailing condition, or perhaps her passing, was the catalyst in causing him to go full-on despair (though yeah that's not as interesting).

it's a theory, look at the posts above you that outline it

We're just thinking the worse of these kids.

For all we know, Teruteru could have just been cooking bad food after a bad review or something.

OceanBlue

I actually thought Nagito might have an out, during the Graduation Exam. A lot of time I spent establishing how the deaths are real because the people who experience them believe they are. Nagito however was the only one of the group who knew they were inside a simulation and maybe his game death only resulted in a more shallow coma because of that. Besides that he's shown to have incredible conviction, as evidenced by his murder setup and absolute belief in his Ultimate Luck.

Wait, was it ever said that Nagito knew they were in a simulation? I thought he only knew they were Ultimate Despair.

JNA

Banned
We're just thinking the worse of these kids.

For all we know, Teruteru could have just been cooking bad food after a bad review or something.

...what you just said was worse than anything we have said about the other kids. XD

a bad review would make Teruteru go on a genocidal rampage. XD

Just more fun to think that. The sadist in us all gets really imaginative when it comes to the atrocities Ultimate Despair committed.

Shahadan

I'm pretty sure Junko will "come back" using the parts of her body the Ultimate Despairs attached to their bodies. Seems like it was brought up for that reason.
I can totally see a MGS2 reference about Junko taking over Nagito's body, or at least rather making him believe she did. Works with his dementia, too. After all he has her iconic hand.
It would probably make Fuyuhiko wonder if it happens to him too or something.
Lots of drama.

I'm half-joking.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, was it ever said that Nagito knew they were in a simulation? I thought he only knew they were Ultimate Despair.

Damn, now I'm not entirely sure. Still, he should have been very close to being able to figure it out. The file mentioned everyone's school lives and I believe he did have access to the Hiyoko growth spurt hint.

JNA

Banned
I'm pretty sure Junko will "come back" using the parts of her body the Ultimate Despairs attached to their bodies. Seems like it was brought up for that reason.
I can totally see a MGS2 reference about Junko taking over Nagito's body, or at least rather making him believe she did. Works with his dementia, too. After all he has her iconic hand.
It would probably make Fuyuhiko wonder if it happens to him too or something.
Lots of drama.

I'm half-joking.

I really hope not. Get someone new to be Monokuma. They can still make it a hot high school girl again. XD

Don't have Junko of all characters become boring.

5(260).png

mothball

Watching some LPs for the reactions and it really drove home how much Fuyuhiko calmed down after chapter 2. He's completely abrasive as hell at the start.

Top Bottom