• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

JNA

Banned
I had to delete OST songs from my viewing history as it immediately started showing me stuff like "DR2 Character X Execution" in my recommendation feed.

That happened to me too. Lucky my eyes were titled away for the most part but I remember listening to one of the OSTs and there was a video in the recommended watch that said, "All Danganronpa executions", and in my quick glance at the pictures despite trying to look away, the picture was a Tetris looking game. Which of course, referenced Chiaki's execution.

It's almost amazing how you could hear so many details about most games and not get spoiled from them yet you hear one little thing about DR1 and DR2 and suddenly you potentially uncover one big plot spoiler.

Is it because of the genre? Is it because of having so many main/side characters to care about?

Labrys

Is it because of the genre? Is it because of having so many main/side characters to care about?

Having big casts of 15+ characters who die/can die tend to make a game more susceptible to spoilers, as compared to say Ace Attorney, which most characters are limited to their own case. To some people even having a "chapter 2" in a screenshot is a spoiler, because it shows that person did not die in the previous chapter, and so on.

Maybe I'll let myself do that a few months after the first sale of DR2!

I mean I had a fake Despair|Ishimaru avatar a couple months back and no one complained I was fake spoiling them, lol

If its fanart, it's probably easier to pass it off as just fanart.

And really for Danganronpa most of the time it's not a spoiler until someone mentions that it is a spoiler :p

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
And really for Danganronpa most of the time it's not a spoiler until someone mentions that it is a spoiler :p

Yeah, that's how someone spoiled the Chiaki as traitor reveal to me shortly after DanganRonpa1.

Someone posted a Chiaki figure that had Monomi in it, and someone immediately replied and told them to take it down because of spoilers. Which is dumb because any casual observer wouldn't have assumed anything by Monomi being included with the figure. There's a Kirigiri figure with Monokuma in it as well, after all. But the fact that he pointed out there were spoilers in the figure ironically made it a spoiler.

Yeah, that's how someone spoiled the Chiaki as traitor reveal to me shortly after DanganRonpa1.

Someone posted a Chiaki figure that had Monomi in it, and someone immediately replied and told them to take it down because of spoilers. Which is dumb because any casual observer wouldn't have assumed anything by Monomi being included with the figure. There's a Kirigiri figure with Monokuma in it as well, after all. But the fact that he pointed out there were spoilers in the figure ironically made it a spoiler.

Same for me :(. It was in the DR1 spoiler thread I think.

I'm glad I wasn't spoiled on Nagito. I was expecting him to be a kind of normal rival character. Little like Kirigiri but more aggressive but I didn't think he would be villain or crazy.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Same for me :(. It was in the DR1 spoiler thread I think.

I'm glad I wasn't spoiled on Nagito. I was expecting him to be a kind of normal rival character. Little like Kirigiri but more aggressive but I didn't think he would be villain or crazy.

I read two lines of Junko's wiki too many to get spoiled on Nagito. Read he was Ultimate Despair and whatever, but because he was so distant from the rest of the group and his hope theme I thought he was the only one.

I think the biggest spoiler related to a figure is the Junko one that was linked back.

Only because in its product description, it's listed as Super Dangan Ronpa 2 - Chou Koukou-kyu no Figure 01 Junko Enoshima Complete Figure, spoiling that she appears again in this game, lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I also searched for something innocuous, like "Makoto and Alter Ego" into Google because I wanted to recall the circumstances of a particular execution, and in the very first entry was a wiki one... the first line IN THE GOOGLE PREVIEW said something like, "Makoto returns in DanganRonpa 2 when..."

I just closed the browser in disgust and walked away.

Those were the only two things spoilered for me going into DR2.

LiK

I think the biggest spoiler related to a figure is the Junko one that was linked back.

Only because in its product description, it's listed as Super Dangan Ronpa 2 - Chou Koukou-kyu no Figure 01 Junko Enoshima Complete Figure, spoiling that she appears again in this game, lol

Both figures of Junko and Chiaki sorta spoiled some aspects. Junko less so cuz I wasn't sure of the direction. Chiaki with Monomi gave me an idea that she was the traitor. But still, didn't really ruin a huge amount of it. Her being an AI was a surprise.

I also searched for something innocuous, like "Makoto and Alter Ego" into Google because I wanted to recall the circumstances of a particular execution, and in the very first entry was a wiki one... the first line IN THE GOOGLE PREVIEW said something like, "Makoto returns in DanganRonpa 2 when..."

I just closed the browser in disgust and walked away.

Those were the only two things spoilered for me going into DR2.

My friend, who knows Japanese and had knowledge of both games beforehand, was pretty good about warning me about potential spoilers. Told me not to google anything and he warned me about any spoilers in official trailers. Thanks to him I went into DR1 and DR2 completely unspoiled.

OceanBlue

I didn't even know that DR2 took place on an island until I saw the OT title lol. It helps that I didn't participate in discussion for DR1, nor was I too interested in looking up fanart. I guess I liked this game that much more if I'm doing all of that stuff now.

I think I might try to platinum this one. I just got the all pets trophy and now I'm thinking bout the all presents one. I guess I'll just spend 1 coin till the repeat rate is 90%+ and start givin more after.

I'm afraid of island mode. Apparently it can be a drag. Can you fill out the report cards in that like you apparently coul in DR1?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Both figures of Junko and Chiaki sorta spoiled some aspects. Junko less so cuz I wasn't sure of the direction. Chiaki with Monomi gave me an idea that she was the traitor. But still, didn't really ruin a huge amount of it. Her being an AI was a surprise.

Well that Junko figure came out well before DanganRonpa 1 released in the U.S. I bought it without knowing it was a spoiler. I wasn't even paying attention to the name, but once she arrived I noticed how she had Monokuma hairties intead of the bows in the game... and realized she was the mastermind.

For me, having the stuffed animal with the character isn't such a big deal because there are all kinds of reasons why they'd be in there. And multiple character figures had Monokuma with them.

Only thing I got spoiled on prior to playing the game was the fact that Peko was one of the killers due to footage from her execution being in the game's first trailer. In retrospect they used footage from Gundam's execution too but the lack of context is enough to make you think that it's just a cutscene event and not significant.

Only thing I got spoiled on prior to playing the game was the fact that Peko was one of the killers due to footage from her execution being in the game's first trailer. In retrospect they used footage from Gundam's execution too but the lack of context is enough to make you think that it's just a cutscene event and not significant.

I thought that could have been from Sodas execution since it looks like some sort of machine :lol.

LiK

Well that Junko figure came out well before DanganRonpa 1 released in the U.S. I bought it without knowing it was a spoiler. I wasn't even paying attention to the name, but once she arrived I noticed how she had Monokuma hairties intead of the bows in the game... and realized she was the mastermind.

For me, having the stuffed animal with the character isn't such a big deal because there are all kinds of reasons why they'd be in there. And multiple character figures had Monokuma with them.

I thought they used Junko cuz she was one of the more popular cute characters. I wasn't even aware of her importance even tho her imposter died early in the game. So I'm glad I was shocked by her appearance at the end of DR1.

I thought that could have been from Sodas execution since it looks like some sort of machine :lol.

As soon as I saw the sword I said "welp, I guess the swordswoman's a killer." Good thing her death came pretty early in the game so that I could spend the remaining 4 chapters in a state of mystique and wonderment rather than wondering when she was going to bite it.

Moonlight

Banned
I got spoiled on Chiaki's execution... sort of. There's a compilation of all the murders and executions in the game (a video that seems to exist purely to spread despair) and the thumbnail is the zoomed out Tetris shot of her execution. Fortunately, I managed to totally forget about this up until the point where Chiaki's execution actually began. I also wanted to look up Ibuki, but one of the Google sidebar suggestions (fuck those things) said 'Ibuki Mioda dies' and I was so mad, so I managed to convince myself that those kinds of results are natural for this kind of game (and that everyone else probably had a similar suggestion) and it proved nothing. Denial didn't get me anywhere. :(

Oh, and the latest DRAT episode sorta spoiled me on crazy Nagito, but I literally completely forgot about it until the moment in that episode was brought up to me again. :lol

I saw a video on youtube more than a year ago that showed White haired Hinata vs Junko, I'm glad I didn't think much about it.

I also recall seeing the picture of Nagito dead, I was still shocked when it happened.

Tho seriously, I was shocked Kuzuryu didn't die. The second I saw him I was sure that one would not last till the end. Just a hunch.

I'm salty tho that Akane survived. The most bland character in DR1/2. She is like a shitty version of Asahina/Sakurai. Hah hah, she eats a lot and has big boobs. Hilarious.

Tho seriously, I was shocked Kuzuryu didn't die. The second I saw him I was sure that one would not last till the end. Just a hunch.

I'm salty tho that Akane survived. The most bland character in DR1/2. She is like a shitty version of Asahina/Sakurai. Hah hah, she eats a lot and has big boobs. Hilarious.

Well if the first game taught anyone, the Super Duper Prick and the Super Duper Useless character tend to survive, lol

Well if the first game taught anyone, the Super Duper Prick and the Super Duper Useless character tend to survive, lol

Togami was a little different from Kuzuryu I felt. He became a good guy relatively early and at that point I was even more convinced someone would kill him and the whole eyepatch transformation was just a red herring for him to be alive much longer after surviving the execution.

Funny enough they kinda used that for Mechamaru.

I did feel that Soda would survive. I didn't expect Sonia to. I love how Soda's design is like a total opposite of what the character is.

Owari_%2827%29.png

I really liked Akane...

Rubedo

Me too!

I'm saddened by the tons of haters, Akane was awesome.

Someone said that it felt like she walked straight out of an action movie, and I agree. Plus, she was really funny too.

Her FTEs are a lot of what made me like her. It just went into territory I wasn't expecting DR to touch on and it was interesting. Makes me sad when I see people on twitter and here list her as one of the worst.

Togami was a little different from Kuzuryu I felt. He became a good guy relatively early and at that point I was even more convinced someone would kill him and the whole eyepatch transformation was just a red herring for him to be alive much longer after surviving the execution.

Funny enough they kinda used that for Mechamaru.

I did feel that Soda would survive. I didn't expect Sonia to.

Well supposedly they were gonna knock off Kuzuryu probably in chapter 3, but they felt they didn't want to waste all that development unlike what they did in the first game, AHEM.

And I think Hiyoko was the one who got knocked off instead, lol

BTW totally missed opporturnity that they didn't use 4DDOD to foil Junkos plans at the end by pressing the buttons and bringing the total number of ''persons'' up :lol.

Moonlight

Banned
I was really lukewarm on Akane. I didn't really hate her or anything, but she never left much of an impression on me and it annoyed me a little how she kept throwing herself into dangerous situations. And the boob thing was kinda too much at times. I mean, her FTEs are good, but they didn't blow my mind or force to entirely reassess her character. It just made me go 'oh, that explains some of that'.

I muuuch preferred Kuzuryuu and Sonia between the survivors.

Drago

When I was playing the first game, the one character who I was sure was gonna die/kill someone was Yasuhiro. I just felt like he would... he was so out of it and unsuspecting that he seemed like the obvious candidate for biting the dust, then he made it all the way to the end :V

I felt the same way with Kazuichi in this game, haha. I just kept thinking that sooner or later he was gonna die or kill but he never did. Just a hunch I had. I make really bad predictions
but I'm glad they were both wrong lol

I really liked all of the survivors this time around, which is a great change from the first one in which I hated two of them, was lukewarm to two and liked two.

Rubedo

When I was playing the first game, the one character who I was sure was gonna die/kill someone was Yasuhiro. I just felt like he would... he was so out of it and unsuspecting that he seemed like the obvious candidate for biting the dust, then he made it all the way to the end :V

I felt the same way with Kazuichi in this game, haha. I just kept thinking that sooner or later he was gonna die or kill but he never did. Just a hunch I had. I make really bad predictions
but I'm glad they were both wrong lol

That's pretty much why they did survive. They look like obvious targets.

I think Souda survived only because he was given plot immunity by Hiyoko right at the very beginning. Saying you look like the first character to go basically means he'll be there for a long time.

I didn't hate any of the survivors this time. Sure kinda lukewarm on Souda and Akane, but at the same time, I was ok they survived.

Unlike the first game where I was really ok with Kirigiri surviving and I guess Aoi too cause I didn't hate her.

Moonlight

Banned
I much preferred the overall cast of survivors in DR1. :lol

Aoi, Toko, Kyoko, and Byakuya were my favourite characters (although for Byakuya it was more keen appreciation, than actually liking him) so seeing them make it all to the end was pretty nice. Only two of my favourites survived, and I made only a single correct prediction on a survivor (Fuyuhiko). Sonia and Kuzuryuu are probably stronger characters than most of DR1's surviving cast (bar Kyoko) individually compared, but in terms of heartbreak and overall satisfaction who survived period, DR2 pretty much annihilated me.

Also, Teruteru fuckin' rocks. Was so sad when he died. :(

Drago

everyone seems to dislike hanamura so i'm used to having my favorite character hated
I was pretty upset that he was one of the first to go, I didn't even want to believe he was a blackened. He was definitely one of my early favorites and I wish he could have stuck around for at least a little longer.

The backstory with his mom was extremely tragic. ;_;

Add me to the "Teruteru is a cool guy" club. The stuff revealed about him after the first trial was incredibly poignant, and it made me really sad to see him go so soon.

Come to think of it, other than Mikan, every killer in DR2 was sympathetic to some degree. In DR1 I only really felt bad for Mondo and Sakura, while I was in tears over Gundam and Chiaki in this game.

Add me to the "Teruteru is a cool guy" club. The stuff revealed about him after the first trial was incredibly poignant, and it made me really sad to see him go so soon.

Come to think of it, other than Mikan, every killer in DR2 was sympathetic to some degree. In DR1 I only really felt bad for Mondo and Sakura, while I was in tears over Gundam and Chiaki in this game.

To be fair Saionji had treated Mikan like shit even before the island and they didn't imply that Ibuki gave a shit about it even tho she was in the same group of ''friends''.

Makes me wonder if there was some sort of personal grudge along with the whole helping Junko thing.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I think even Mikan's was sympathetic because the character you actually came to appreciate over the course of the game essentially died once she contracted Despair Disease. It was out of her control at that point. She was no longer the same person.

I also liked Teruteru. Akane, too. Frankly, I liked almost all of the cast in DR2. They even managed to make Byakuya slightly likeable.

everyone seems to dislike hanamura so i'm used to having my favorite character hated

I liked him. He was pretty interesting and his English dub made me like him more.

I would say I rather liked all the murderers in this game. Not all the victims, just like two of them.

Which is funny cause that was pretty much the reverse from the first game, where I liked most of the victims and didn't care for most of the murderers.

Moonlight

Banned
To be fair Saionji had treated Mikan like shit even before the island and they didn't imply that Ibuki gave a shit about it even tho she was in the same group of ''friends''.

Makes me wonder if there was some sort of personal grudge along with the whole helping Junko thing.
Grudge didn't have much to do with it. Hiyoko only died because she happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Ibuki died because she was the most vulnerable of the three patients that Mikan had free reign over.

I think even Mikan's was sympathetic because the character you actually came to appreciate over the course of the game essentially died once she contracted Despair Disease. It was out of her control at that point. She was no longer the same person.

I also liked Teruteru. Akane, too. Frankly, I liked almost all of the cast in DR2. They even managed to make Byakuya slightly likeable.
''Byakuya'' was a total bro. I doubt the real one would have risked himself for the others he didn't know if shit hit the fan :lol.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
''Byakuya'' was a total bro. I doubt the real one would have risked himself for the others he didn't know if shit hit the fan :lol.

Yeah. Real Byakuya probably would have called them all trash and gone to the center island to masturbate over his personal history/superiority.

Top Bottom