• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

pariah164

''Byakuya'' was a total bro. I doubt the real one would have risked himself for the others he didn't know if shit hit the fan :lol.
Byakuya would've survived the whole game if Nagito hadn't been such a fucking dick. NGL, I hate Nagito the most out of every character in this franchise. I cheered when he bit it, even if that did lead to Chiaki's execution.

OceanBlue

I was pretty upset that he was one of the first to go, I didn't even want to believe he was a blackened. He was definitely one of my early favorites and I wish he could have stuck around for at least a little longer.

The backstory with his mom was extremely tragic. ;_;

Watching Teruteru cry that he was trying to protect everyone else, only for Monokuma to reject it was some high-level despair. I felt like Nagito got away with two murders at the time. He didn't even learn what happened to his mother.

Grudge didn't have much to do with it. Hiyoko only died because she happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Ibuki died because she was the most vulnerable of the three patients that Mikan had free reign over.

I guess you are right. I really disliked chapter 3. I thought the whole despair desease stuff was just super lame. Like, how is that not directly meddling with the students by Junko? I'd rather they come up with motives that make sense at least on some level. The ''remembering'' thing was fine but Ibuki thing was totally stupid.

Rubedo

everyone seems to dislike hanamura so i'm used to having my favorite character hated

I don't "not like" Teruteru. It's just that there's 14 others I would pick over him. I pretty much liked all the DR2 cast except Hiyoko and, to a lesser degree, Kazuichi.

Moonlight

Banned
I guess you are right. I really disliked chapter 3. I thought the whole despair desease stuff was just super lame. Like, how is that not directly meddling with the students by Junko? I'd rather they come up with motives that make sense at least on some level. The ''remembering'' thing was fine but Ibuki thing was totally stupid.
Back then, I saw Chapter 3 as proof that the mastermind really was someone other than Junko. :lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

It was a setup that shines in hindsight, and a foreshadowing to the big reveal for them all being Ultimate Despairs. Unfortunately, the chapter itself suffers for it while you're experiencing it.

I think even Mikan's was sympathetic because the character you actually came to appreciate over the course of the game essentially died once she contracted Despair Disease. It was out of her control at that point. She was no longer the same person.

I suppose, but I wasn't really a fan of her pre-insanity either so it didn't seem like a huge loss to me compared to every other killer in the game. I would've loved to see more of Teruteru, Peko, Gundam and Chiaki.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I suppose, but I wasn't really a fan of her pre-insanity either so it didn't seem like a huge loss to me compared to every other killer in the game. I would've loved to see more of Teruteru, Peko, Gundam and Chiaki.

It just felt unfair to her. I personally liked Mikan more than a good portion of the cast, which made her motive pretty flaccid.

It was a setup that shines in hindsight, and a foreshadowing to the big reveal for them all being Ultimate Despairs. Unfortunately, the chapter itself suffers for it while you're experiencing it.
Yeah. But also in addition to the lame motive it was really obvious to me who the killer was from the start. The only 2 pieces of info I really needed to hear was Soda explaining the camera/monitor range (I mean, you just KNOW someone is fuckin with the cameras when they give that kind of exposition) and the black curtain at Hospital 2nd floor. Everything else in the case felt like such a drag once they established the ''perfect alibi'' right from the start for Mikan. Felt really tropey mystery writing.

The opposite would be chapter 5. Really liked how the whole murder turned out. That was a perfect balance of logic and crazy and Danganronpa at it's best. Like, first you are really not sure if it is suicide or murder and then it turns out to be something completely different from either.

Rubedo

See Mikan surprised me in how much I actually liked her.

In scouting out the cast before playing the game, I thought Mikan would be super annoying. I thought her whining would get annoying and she would be one of my least favorites but it turned out not being true. I don't know if it was the translation or what but she came off as more sympathetic than I expected.

On the flip side, I thought Ibuki would be one of my faves. From what I read of her and her lines from fan translated stuff, I thought she was going to be endearingly quirky and overall one of my favorites. And I'm sure she was that way in the Japanese version. But something about the combination of her English voice and the translation made her come of as more just too hyper and annoying which I wasn't expecting. I didn't have a problem with it when I read some stuff from the SA translation but when actually playing it seemed annoying like she was too "lol I'm so random and speak really fast and loud about stuff". I don't know. It just came as different in the NISA translation and made me not like her as much.

PK Gaming

Mikan's probably one of the most intriguing characters in the game from a writing perspective. You pretty much have to finish her FTE to fully get an appreciation for her character.

I wrote about her FTE on the first page if any of you guys are curious.

But yeah, she's really interesting and ultra sympathetic.

Moonlight

Banned
I never particularly liked Mikan. I thought of her as a really one-note character with a really flat punchline, and I got sick of her goofy klutziness and apologies really quickly. I might have had a better opinion of her if there were tinier hints about her true character peeking out under all the creative tripping and 'forgive me's. That, and she never seemed particularly useful inside the trials - be it humour or logic, so I didn't really see the value that she added in that regard either.

also she fucking murdered ibuki so she can eat shit

That said, I appreciate her a lot more as a character having completed her report card. I think it's one of the better ones in the game purely because it does such a good job contextualizing so much about her and her actions (even the tripping), and the truth of it was... really heavy. That girl went through a lot of shit.

Rubedo

Mikan's probably one of the most intriguing characters in the game from a writing perspective. You pretty much have to finish her FTE to fully get an appreciation for her character.

I wrote about her FTE on the first page if any of you guys are curious.

But yeah, she's really interesting and ultra sympathetic.

She was the first character I maxed out FTEs on. Made her talking about only ever being loved by one person before her execution that much more potent.

kewlmyc

I really liked all of the survivors this time around, which is a great change from the first one in which I hated two of them, was lukewarm to two and liked two.

Can't leave me hangin' bro. Which ones did you hate, like, and were indifferent to?

Let me guess:

Like: Kyoko, Aoi
Lukewarm: Makoto, Byakuya
Hate: Toko, Hagakure

Can't leave me hangin' bro. Which ones did you hate, like, and were indifferent to?

Let me guess:

Like: Kyoko, Aoi
Lukewarm: Makoto, Byakuya
Hate: Toko, Hagakure

You're pretty much spot-on. I didn't really "hate" Toko; I just thought that her stuttery schtick got stale by the end (even if she did have a few good lines like "the mouth down south"). Genocide Jack was a riot whenever she appeared, though.

Moonlight

Banned
Ultimately, not sure where I'd stand on how sympathetic Mikan is. Pitiable? Definitely. I think she's really pitiable, and not someone who deserved to turn into the person she was. But it's kind of hard to project yourself into the kind of self-destructive mindset that Mikan's developed over the years. At least, personally.

It probably doesn't help that Mikan was friends with someone like Hiyoko.

If anything, that whole friendship with all the girls just felt weird.

OceanBlue

Ultimately, not sure where I'd stand on how sympathetic Mikan is. Pitiable? Definitely. I think she's really pitiable, and not someone who deserved to turn into the person she was. But it's kind of hard to project yourself into the kind of self-destructive mindset that Mikan's developed over the years. At least, personally.

I think you're thinking of empathy, not sympathy. At least, from how I'm familiar with the terms.

kewlmyc

It probably doesn't help that Mikan was friends with someone like Hiyoko.

If anything, that whole friendship with all the girls just felt weird.

I doubt they were ever friends. In the murder game in chapter two, it showed that they Hiyoko was always annoyed by Mikan.

Watching Teruteru cry that he was trying to protect everyone else, only for Monokuma to reject it was some high-level despair. I felt like Nagito got away with two murders at the time. He didn't even learn what happened to his mother.

It's probably for the best that he wasn't told anything about his mom, considering what we know now.

I doubt they were ever friends. In the murder game in chapter two, it showed that they Hiyoko was always annoyed by Mikan.

I'm pretty sure mikan was "trying" to be friends with hiyoko. But I'm sure the whole girl group were friends, with mikan/hiyoko being the outlier

PK Gaming

I didn't feel that way at first, but I came away feeling really sympathetic towards her after I finished her FTE + beat the game. I mean... she lived in an environment where she suffered from abuse and neglect. What's worse is that Junko ended up targeting because of her formative years of abuse.

Though if you mean "empathy" then i'm inclined to agree.

Moonlight

Banned
Fuck, I got the terms confused. x_x

Yes, empathy.

And I think from Mikan's standpoint, Hiyoko was her 'friend' because she doesn't identify the difference between negative and positive attention as long as she's attended to. Hiyoko prefers to insult her the most, after all.

OceanBlue

It's probably for the best that he wasn't told anything about his mom, considering what we know now.

Well, we would have the answer to whether or not he ate his mother! :V

That was such a strong way to start the game though. So much despair.

Fuck, I got the terms confused. x_x

Yes, empathy.

And I think from Mikan's standpoint, Hiyoko was her 'friend' because she doesn't identify the difference between negative and positive attention as long as she's attended to.

Oh yeah, that's a good observation.

Musolf815

I got fake spoilered on the game when I saw a Youtube link to "Akane's execution", so I was suspicious of her the whole game. Also like two days before I got the game someone posted some list of people who did nothing wrong and Nagito was on there, so I knew he was a villain.

I also knew Kyoko, Makoto, and Byukuya appeared in some form, but I assumed that fat Togami was the real deal, Nagito was Makoto, and Chiaki was a mind wiped Kyoko somehow. So the spoiler didn't wreck the game for me.

Neat.

Hopefully Cero D means we get to kill the kids. If Corpse Party can do it, no reason this can't.

I imagine if they do die, it'll probably be like they get blown up in their giant robot.

CERO D might just be cause you see Monokuma chomping on people. Like her parents, it looks like.

bobawesome

I wasn't the only one who thought Nagito was a crazed out Makoto right?

What, of course not. Who would fall for something so obvi...

I'm still in the first case but I have a suspicion that
Nagito Komaeda may actually be an alias and he's really an older version of Makoto from the first Danganronpa.
Well, I guess I can come back here after beating the game and see how horribly wrong I am, haha.

Oh. Never mind.

JNA

Banned
For me it's like this:

Like: Makoto, Kyoko, Togami, Aoi
Dislike: Toko (I only liked half of her...the genocider half XD), Hagakure (my god is he useless)

Like: Hajime, Sonia, Akane, Little Gangsta
Dislike: Soda (same as Hagakure)

...it's pretty even in terms of surviving cast for me based on quantity. Although for who I liked more?

Hajime>Makoto (JYB ftw)
Kyoko>Akane
Togami>Little Gangsta
Sonia>Aoi
Soda>Hagakure (the two "why didn't they die instead?" survivors. I guess if I had to pick, it would be Soda. Mostly because at the very least, Soda has a relevant talent while Hagakure..nuff said)
Half of Toko>empty slot XD

It's...pretty close again XD.

It's a little weird for me to compare the DR1 cast and DR2 cast. DR1 cast had the two best main side characters with a weaker main protagonist while the DR2 cast had a weaker two (it was more equal for all the side characters) with a stronger main protagonist.

Sonia Waifu is there so I guess I liked DR2 the best. XD

bobawesome

For me it's like this:

Dislike: Toko (I only liked half of her...the genocider half XD), Hagakure (my god is he useless)

...it's pretty even in terms of surviving cast for me based on quantity. Although for who I liked more?

Hajime>Makoto (JYB ftw)
Kyoko>Akane
Togami>Little Gangsta
Sonia>Aoi
Soda>Hagakure (the two "why didn't they die instead?" survivors. I guess if I had to pick, it would be Soda. Mostly because at the very least, Soda has a relevant talent while Hagakure..nuff said)

It's a little weird for me to compare the DR1 cast and DR2 cast. DR1 cast had the two best main side characters with a weaker main protagonist while the DR2 cast had a weaker two (it was more equal for all the side characters) with a stronger main protagonist.

There's a lot of Hagakure hate in your list. And I agree with all of it. I'm hoping he survived just so he can be brutally killed off in a future game. That sorta sounds like a terrible thing to say, though.

Aside from the female lead (I liked Kyoko so much more than Chiaki) I prefer all of DR2's cast to their counterparts.

Rubedo

For me it's like this:

Hajime>Makoto (JYB ftw)
Kyoko>Akane
Togami>Little Gangsta
Sonia>Aoi

Akane is more comparable to Aoi than Sonia IMO. And Chiaki would be Kyoko's parallel.

Sonia and Toko are similar in that they seem like they'd be reserved but both are actually somewhat of covert perverts.

JNA

Banned
There's a lot of Hagakure hate in your list. And I agree with all of it. I'm hoping he survived just so he can be brutally killed off in a future game. That sorta sounds like a terrible thing to say, though.

I know. Most of my hate is filled with disappointment on what kind of character he SHOULD have been. It's one thing to make his talent crap or not relevant but it's another when they make him a blabbering buffoon.

To me, Hagakure should have been the "peace maker" type of character. Like, a stereotypical American 60s/70s character. Being all "hey cool man, far out!". Doesn't talk much, sometimes you don't understand a single word he is saying but most of the time, he's deep and tries to make everyone get along.

Instead, he just ended up pisses me off most of the game and made me question why the hell that guy gets to live while Taka gets canned. :(

Akane is more comparable to Aoi than Sonia IMO. And Chiaki would be Kyoko's parallel.

Sonia and Toko are similar in that they seem like they'd be reserved but both are actually somewhat of covert perverts.

I know, I did that intentionally. Mostly because my waifu from DR1 was Aoi and for DR2 it's Sonia. And I liked Sonia better so there you go. XD

To me, Hagakure should have been the "peace maker" type of character. Like, a stereotypical American 60s/70s character. Being all "hey cool man, far out!". Doesn't talk much, sometimes you don't understand a single word he is saying but most of the time, he's deep and tries to make everyone get along.

tbt, I would have hated him even more if he was like that

I feel like I need to go back to the game and do the island mode, I can't fully grade these characters when I only managed to complete two of them in the story mode, Chiaki and Sonia.

JNA

Banned
I feel like I need to go back to the game and do the island mode, I can't fully grade these characters when I only managed to complete two of them in the story mode, Chiaki and Sonia.

The funny part is those are the same two characters I completed report cards on. XD

Drago

sometimes I feel like the only guy who doesn't loath Yasuhiro, lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would've had Taka survive instead of him (he died too soon after becoming Kiyondo) but oh well

Top Bottom