• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

MSMrRound

but damn this got me super psyched.

Hah same. To think barely a year ago I hardly know about the Danganronpa franchise. I saw the Another Episode announcement trailer during Pre-TGS Sony conference 2013 and I was like "...what the heck is this weird crap?" Helps that they seemed to have worked on the UI and the aiming etc. Game looks better now.

JNA

Banned
Hah same. To think barely a year ago I hardly know about the Danganronpa franchise. I saw the Another Episode announcement trailer during Pre-TGS Sony conference 2013 and I was like "...what the heck is this weird crap?" Helps that they seemed to have worked on the UI and the aiming etc. Game looks better now.

To think a year ago, I didn't even know the word "Danganronpa" was an actual word.

...umm...actually, what does the word "Daganronpa" mean? XD

sub_o

To think a year ago, I didn't even know the word "Danganronpa" was an actual word.

...umm...actually, what does the word "Daganronpa" mean? XD

Danganronpa = 弾丸論破 (だんがんろんぱ)
弾丸 (Dangan) = bullet
論破 (Ronpa) = argument / refutation

So that bullet mini game will never go away!

JNA

Banned
弾丸 (Dangan) = bullet

https://youtube.com/watch?v=S_-tXjgYPlc

In all seriousness though...interesting.

...although the more I think about it...that's kind of a crappy name for a game. XD So it's a good thing we just call it "Danganronpa" instead of "Bullet Argument".

弾丸 (Dangan) = bullet

I never even looked it up because I simply thought it was another one of those words that they just made up to sound cool, Danganronpa just doesn't sound Japanese at all LOL. Still pretty cool, and I don't mind the bullet action. Yes I do get stuck sometimes, but I always manage to make it through. Plus I actually find shooting the arguments fun. Hangman's gambit on the other hand...

So I finally beat this last night, now on to platinum it!

I actually really don't care about getting the platinum trophy in games but since I got the first one without a whole lot of effort I feel like I should get this one too.

I really like Hajime as a protagonist, I thought he was a lot more three-dimensional than Makoto, although I did like Makoto when he reappeared in the trial. I loved Nagito too, before they showed how batshit crazy he really was, he was just "weird guy obssed with hope" he was a hilarious caricature of Makoto "hope" Naegi.

I liked basically all of the characters but I agree with the sentiment they felt a lot more background than they did in DR1.

Meia

So got through Island mode for the second time, and was able to max 5 characters(first time was spent filling in report cards/figuring out what the hell i was doing with the mini-game). It's neat that you get character closure(to an extent) with them, but is there any indicator for who you've maxed going into the next playthrough? I think 1 gave you achievements for each "ending" you saw, right?

LiK

So got through Island mode for the second time, and was able to max 5 characters(first time was spent filling in report cards/figuring out what the hell i was doing with the mini-game). It's neat that you get character closure(to an extent) with them, but is there any indicator for who you've maxed going into the next playthrough? I think 1 gave you achievements for each "ending" you saw, right?

Check with Monomi, maxed characters have a lil heart on them.

MSMrRound

CureVylash is the real life Monomi that freed me from the despair that is known as the Smash Demo begging thread.

BxXFK_9CEAA6VUw.jpg:large

All of a sudden, Ibuki is now ranked higher in my list of Danganronpa girls

All you need is hope. Nagito was right.

I'd tell you who our subject for tonight is, but you already know his name
OR DO YOU?!

tXTfvpa.png

Snorlax: Aside from the obvious similarities in girth, Byakuya and Snorlax serve common purposes: they impede those who would otherwise be able to attain their goals. By taking on responsibility as the group's leader, Byakuya's goal was to squash the hopes of anyone who wished to murder someone, but just like Snorlax, he was stopped in the end by a tiny man wielding a long, thin instrument.

Persian: If you recall, Persian was one of the Pokemon I put on the real Byakuya's team back when I was doing PokeRonpa 1. Fats Waller here has it as a representation of how he's masquerading as Byakuya, but his disguise only goes skin deep: just as the two only share one Pokemon on their teams, the impostor was only an imitation of Byakuya's looks, not his personality or attitude.

Zoroark: Zoroark is known for both its impeccable imitation skills (with its specialty being humanoids) and its fiercely protective nature, both of which Byakuya II share.

Ditto: Oh, come on. I don't even need to explain this one.

Smeargle: Smeargle's Sketch ability lets it imitate any move, which by extension lets it fill any role on a team, albeit not very well due to its low stats. This is similar to how Big Al manages to copy Byakuya imperfectly, with the irony being that even though he didn't make a great Byakuya, he was a better person than Byakuya could ever be.

Megengar: I actually had a bit of a hard time deciding on an appropriate Mega for the impostor, but eventually settled on Mega Gengar for its ability and its shiny form's familiar rotund, white appearance. Megengar's Shadow Tag makes it so that so long as it is in play, the opponent cannot escape or switch out their teammates, reflecting Byakuya's watchful eye during the security party he threw; minimizing the threat of murder by confining everyone to one space and barring their exit.

That's all for today, folks! Tune in tomorrow for I! Buki! Mio! Da!

I'd tell you who our subject for tonight is, but you already know his name
OR DO YOU?!

tXTfvpa.png

Another good list! Ditto is probably the most obvious Pokemon any of the characters could end up having, because it just makes so much sense. One Pokemon that I also think fits the Impostor well is Chatot, since it mimics sounds.

abrack08

Just finished the game... That ending... so good!

I am SHOCKED that Nagito was never revealed to be crazy-Makoto. I was thinking the events of the first game drove Makoto crazy or something.I was really sad after the chapter 5 death, it was such a brutal way for Makoto to go... But then it wasn't Makoto at all! I'm retroactively less sad. Nagito is still a great character though.

Same voice, similarish face, similar jacket/clothes, same "talent, anagram name, you play as him for a bit in Chapter 4, obsession with hope and desire to become the Ultimate Hope... Seemed too on the nose to just be a parallel to Makoto.

esterk

I just beat this last night. Holy crap, so many twists and turns. It was awesome though, great to see some of the first class come in. I did want to see what the students looked like outside of the game though, like how fucked up some of their bodies had become.

Japan seems to make a stage play out of everything, don't they?

Are they ever any good? I can't imagine they would be.

Not sure. But something like Danganronpa is probably a good fit for a stage play, since theatrics and vocal performance are two aspects of Danganronpa that's strong in the source material, and also critical to the performance of a stage play.

sub_o

I've really turned around, now besides Asahina and Chiaki and Mikan and Chihiro, I also like Junko and Hiyoko.

You know, FYI.

Makoto makes me wanna eat cup noodles.

bobawesome

Japan seems to make a stage play out of everything, don't they?

Are they ever any good? I can't imagine they would be.

If you had told me two years ago that a Steins;Gate play would be amazing I wouldn't have believed you.
I will give this the benefit of the doubt.

Top Bottom