• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

mdubs

Banned
Just finished it today and I loved the ending a lot more than the first game, it felt a lot more satisfying now that a lot of the loose ends were wrapped up pretty well. Was feeling the despair when Chiaki was executed but since they brought her back in Chapter 6 to help Hajime I was cool with that.
I feel like the best moment of the game as a whole was when she was "helping" Hajime through the last bit of the trial, culminating when they broke through during that last Panic Talk Action (reminded me of the final case of Phoenix Wright T&T, those feels).

698216.gif

Tuulenpoika

Neo Member
Hoo boy, got the game on release date and played through it in five days. Sure was one hell of a ride.

Overall, I didn't enjoy the game as much as the first one. I don't know, maybe I expected someone other than Junko to be behind everything this time, even though the final case was pretty awesome, with Naegi and other making dynamic entries and all that. Somehow the school was a better place for the killing game in my opinion, with a clear, enclosed space, and not spread around like in this one, even though the island setting made it possible for the scenery to be more varied.

As for the deaths... I would have gladly given Sonia in exchange for Gundham. During the fourth trial when I eventually found out the truth I was just shouting NO NO NOT YOU at the screen, hahaha. He was definitely my favorite character of them all, it was so sad to see him go. And the implied notion that Gundham did it all to sacrifice himself for others made it hit even harder. He died on his feet, stayed true to himself to the end. He was the true Overlord of Ice. Goddamn I loved him.

I was expecting "Byakuya" to stay alive until the end, but they managed to throw quite curveball right in the beginning. It's a shame how the Ultimate Imposter reveal was kind of rushed, it could have been much better. Peko's trial and the aftermath was definitely one of the highlights of the whole game, didn't expect Fuyuhiko to become one of my favorite characters after that. Mikan went flat out mental during her trial, and it was pretty crazy. Her execution was weird, though. Pretty much the same "that's it?" reaction that I guess many others had.

I honestly expected Soda to die during the first chapters, he seemed like an obvious "the guy who dies first", but I'm glad he stayed alive. He was one of my favorites, design-wise. As a character he wasn't anything special, but an honest good guy with a knit cap, can't really hate him. Sonia, on the other hand, I felt had nothing going for her aside from the hilarious attempts to curse appropriately. Akane seemed like a survivor from the beginning, no real surprise there.

But then Chiaki. Oh God whyyyyyyyy. Definitely one of the favorites. Especially during the last case, holy hell that was brilliant.

Oh, and Nagito. He was bloody brilliant character. Never liked a guy so messed up in the head so much. He was written so well, and especially after going through his hope fragments he became one of my favorites, despite how he acted like an asshole so many times during the main game. Can't really remember another character in any game that I had so much mixed feelings with. And his corpse was pretty much the most shocking image in the whole game.

The ending along with the final case was awesome, especially the awakening part. It wasn't as great as the HOPE part of the first game, but all the plot twists and the ending made it all worth it. I was really glad to see Naegi again, he is one of my favorite protagonists ever, for some reason. Even though he could be seen as generic. The voice has to be one of the deciding factors, Hinata's voice didn't have such an impact, especially with the "SORE WA CHIGAU YO".

I could have written a lot more but I don't feel like throwing a huge wall of text that has been discussed here earlier for quite a bit, so I decided to include just the most pressing thoughts after playing the game. Still have some Monokumas and only few items missing, and a no-damage trial and a perfect Island Mode run to play. Definitely going for a platinum trophy.

Oh and Hiyoko was just freaking annoying. Definitely the worst character in the whole game, nothing good about her.

LiK

Is there a complete list of all Usami's equipment out there for her minigame in ENGLISH? I dunno which one I'm missing. Just need this one last trophy....

Rubedo

Is there a complete list of all Usami's equipment out there for her minigame in ENGLISH? I dunno which one I'm missing. Just need this one last trophy....

Can you actually control which equipment you get from the drops? I thought it was just random.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Roto's been making a list in the OT. He's been updating it with the official names & such.

Speaking of which, I've heard something about going for the Grass Skirt first?

Can you actually control which equipment you get from the drops? I thought it was just random.
It seems to differ depending on the stage & difficulty.

Rubedo

Nah Mikan is worst character by far, for killing Ibuki, can't believe her and Sonia are mass murderers, I just can't.

Technically not her fault. Not the version of Mikan that was originally in the sim anyway. It was more a combination of Despair Mikan and Monokuma to blame.

If it was Ibuki who got re-despairified then it could very easily been the other way around.

carlsojo

No, but really, this game was fantastic. The ending of Chapter 2 really hit me hard in the feels.

Same with Chiaki. I was hoping her and Monomi would escape (a la Makoto in DR1), but damn.

So I was thinking. Since 2 gave us a character that turned the concept of hope on its head, what if 3 gives us a character that does the same with despair? If the best hope comes from overcoming the worst despair, why not the opposite? Do good things to give someone plenty of hope only to knock them down later with despair, only that despair never comes because said character can't figure out a good way of going about it or something.

Could be interesting if done well.

But I thought that was the very concept of Monokuma, especially in DR1?

I guess what I'm thinking of would be like an ineffective Junko. Someone that claims to be doing things in the name of despair, but ends up being one of the most helpful characters in the game, and is all tsundere about it being all "I'm only doing this to see you despair later", but that "later" never comes.

I guess what I'm thinking of would be like an ineffective Junko. Someone that claims to be doing things in the name of despair, but ends up being one of the most helpful characters in the game, and is all tsundere about it being all "I'm only doing this to see you despair later", but that "later" never comes.

Will probably become the most popular character ever.

I do agree they shouldn't have brought Junko back as the bad guy. Felt kinda lazy. Nagito alone was 10000000x more interesting ''villain''.

The thing that worries me about DR3 is that I don't care about the whole ''core plot'' (about the tragedy, what happens in the real world and stuff ect.) that much. For me they are just exposition to keep the plot ''rolling'' while the main meat is in the murders and investigations. But DR2 ending kinda makes me feel DR3 will be heavily tied to that stuff. I'd probably prefer it be something with a completely new plot. I just think the plot probably works better if it is left a little open. DR1+2 show that there is still hope for the world in the end but I don't need to see everything.

Another Episode for what little I have seen is pretty much all about it but supposedly it's happening between DR1+2 so I guess it won't resolve that stuff.

edit: btw it might be because I got too used to it but I tested the Japanese VA on few trials and I think I prefer english one now.

JNA

Banned
Well now, I kinda want to get Smash now.

Now we need to figure out which Smash fighting style fits with each DR character.

Sonia for either Peach or Zelda?

Mondo for Little Mac or Gannondorf? (They both punch a lot)

Ibuki for Jigglypuff! XD
kidding

Jacqli

Man, I can finally search danganronpa on Google and not be scared of any spoiler.

I do like this game, but after looking through this thread I'm still a bit disappointed about that Nagito/Naegi thing. I know it's been discussed, but I can't get out of my mind that they are so similar, they share the same talent, they look so alike (hair, eyes)... And that word play, even though I read it was unintentional, it's just another coincidence. When I saw him with Junko's arm... I thought that was going to be the moment of the revelation because it made sense. But nothing happened related to this.

The game is great overall. I couldn't stop playing. There are characters like Gundham, Chiaki, or even Hiyoko that I did like. And each chapter was very different from the other. The second with that Twilight Syndrome game or the third one with the movie. And I have to say it: the fifth case I think it is the best one, which is incredibely after so many convoluted cases. Also, I should read the novels, maybe there are more details that could help me because the sequel explains more things about the plot, background and events than the first one. And I liked how they did this "corrupted game" effect.

My complaints would be that I was expecting more new tracks, dive logic minigame can burn in hell and the ending after that brilliant fifth case (still bitter about Chiaki's death) I felt it wasn't THAT impressive. Many things I could not predict, sure, but some of them seemed to be taken from Dragon Ball or something (whole Chiaki and Hajime scene)... It's like the first one was a bit less fantasy and more real? For example, my favorite scene from the first one is Kirigiri using Naegi's trust because she was scared of dying. But everything was virtual on this one, so everything could happen... I don't know, perhaps I need to relax a bit.
I prefer Junko's death on Danganronpa 1, too. And Hajime at the end seemed to be the same as always. Hasn't he got a scar on him?

I'm going to spend all night reading about Danganronpa.

Rubedo

So I was thinking. Since 2 gave us a character that turned the concept of hope on its head, what if 3 gives us a character that does the same with despair? If the best hope comes from overcoming the worst despair, why not the opposite? Do good things to give someone plenty of hope only to knock them down later with despair, only that despair never comes because said character can't figure out a good way of going about it or something.

Could be interesting if done well.

What about someone who doesn't believe Hope and Despair are necessarily opposing concepts and that both, if used right, can make the ideal world?

Like believing that the right a amount of despair can actually be a positive thing and too much hope can make people unrealistic and so they must be balanced.

Also the "more hope you have the greater despair can be" was sorta used by Junko in DR1. She gave them a chance at hope so that it would be more devastating when they succumb to despair.

abrack08

Man, I can finally search danganronpa on Google and not be scared of any spoiler.

I do like this game, but after looking through this thread I'm still a bit disappointed about that Nagito/Naegi thing. I know it's been discussed, but I can't get out of my mind that they are so similar, they share the same talent, they look so alike (hair, eyes)... And that word play, even though I read it was unintentional, it's just another coincidence. When I saw him with Junko's arm... I thought that was going to be the moment of the revelation because it made sense. But nothing happened related to this.

I know, right? I kept waiting for that bomb to drop, even when the credits were rolling. Hell, even the fact that Nagito seemed to be able to figure out the truth of the case before everyone else pointed towards him being Makoto, in a "I've done this before, I'm an expert now" kind of way. And I refuse to believe that the name being an anagram was unintentional, too many other similarities. I think it's more likely they were going to go that route initially but changed their minds and didn't want to change his name.

Wichu

Finished it last night. I loved how the final chapter was full of moments that made me smile:

Seeing all the dead characters again (even if only briefly and due to a glitch), the general graphic glitchiness from the prologue finally being explained, Sonia's confirmation that it wasn't just me, the freaky Nagito flashback with Junko's arm, the return to Hope's Peak, the 8-bit versions of Kill Command and Argument [TURN UP THE HEAT], ALTER EGO (with his/her own theme - yesss), Makoto trying to reach us, messing with the fourth wall, Junko fucking Enoshima (with even more personalities!), fake - followed by actual - Makoto, remixes of DR1 Class Trial themes, Ultimate Despair and mind-screwage, Byakuya telling peasants to shut up, more despair, Izuru, moral dilemmas, even more despair, infinite loop, the return of best character, cheesy motivational speech, super saiyan Hajime along with his eyes changing, that one cut-in with Hajime and Chiaki, FUTURE FUTURE FUTURE SUCK IT JUNKO, Usami OP shenanigans, and finally the hopeful epilogue.

So good. I did appreciate the best survivors from DR1 popping in, since I wasn't hugely fond of the DR2 survivors (all the useful intelligent people died...)

Gonna read IF later!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finished the game today.

I was not disappointed.

I think the second game was probably better than the first, but the first had more impact for me just because the batshit insane err... everything was new in that one.

Also, Chiaki is awesome. That is all.

PK Gaming

Finished it last night. I loved how the final chapter was full of moments that made me smile:

Seeing all the dead characters again (even if only briefly and due to a glitch), the general graphic glitchiness from the prologue finally being explained, Sonia's confirmation that it wasn't just me, the freaky Nagito flashback with Junko's arm, the return to Hope's Peak, the 8-bit versions of Kill Command and Argument [TURN UP THE HEAT], ALTER EGO (with his/her own theme - yesss), Makoto trying to reach us, messing with the fourth wall, Junko fucking Enoshima (with even more personalities!), fake - followed by actual - Makoto, remixes of DR1 Class Trial themes, Ultimate Despair and mind-screwage, Byakuya telling peasants to shut up, more despair, Izuru, moral dilemmas, even more despair, infinite loop, the return of best character, cheesy motivational speech, super saiyan Hajime along with his eyes changing, that one cut-in with Hajime and Chiaki, FUTURE FUTURE FUTURE SUCK IT JUNKO, Usami OP shenanigans, and finally the hopeful epilogue.

So good. I did appreciate the best survivors from DR1 popping in, since I wasn't hugely fond of the DR2 survivors (all the useful intelligent people died...)

Gonna read IF later!

Haha, well put!

I'd love to see this post in comic or animated form.

I personally wasn't the biggest Chiaki fan (I like her alright tho) but she has by far the best execution scene in the series. I love the music and the pause of doom before the last tetris block drops. You have this 3 seconds where you think they might pull another Alter Ego rescue but nooo.

I wonder if Chiaki's execution would have been better or worse with some pink blood splatter on the nearby Tetris blocks ala Junko's execution. Though I was already pretty upset, so that probably would have made it worse.

Jacqli

I know, right? I kept waiting for that bomb to drop, even when the credits were rolling. Hell, even the fact that Nagito seemed to be able to figure out the truth of the case before everyone else pointed towards him being Makoto, in a "I've done this before, I'm an expert now" kind of way. And I refuse to believe that the name being an anagram was unintentional, too many other similarities. I think it's more likely they were going to go that route initially but changed their minds and didn't want to change his name.
Team Nagito=Naegi!
This is exactly what I thought. Nagito wanted to see Junko because he hated her, but the origin of such hatred is not explained very well in the game. The rest of the cast can have the same motivation as they were part of Ultimate Despair. But Nagito being Naegi would have been a greater motivation because he lived her despair. And he being so eager for hope would make more sense, Nagito and his seek for hope seems a bit disconnected with the character, a bit forced because he had no idea about Ultimate Hope student, right? And even that part in the fourth case that you play as him... I truly believe that was made as a hint to discover this.

The main problem is Naegi and Nagito are really involved with the plot, Nagito is the trigger of the sixth case basically. Future Foundation could still work with Naegi being Nagito, at least at the beginning (he saved those Ultimate Despairs on purpose, betrayal, he was too obsessed with Junko, he relied on his talent to see her again, he disappeared...). But the fifth case would have needed another mad character and that would be too much because if Nagito/Naegi died there, then I think the ending and FF would have been a lot different as they are in the game (or the last two cases should be remade completely different). And if he lived, he could side Junko... I do not know, it could be interesting!

Come on, they even share same voice actor... :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If anyone needs help with Island Mode endings or the Monomi mini-game items, I found a rather thorough guide which also covers every case (which I'm sure most of us have already done if we're here) and maximizing relationships.

sub_o

Try this maybe: http://diehardgamefan.com/2014/09/08/walkthroughfaq-dangan-ronpa-2-goodbye-despair/

Edit: I don't know what you guys like about that Tanaka guy, but have you managed to strike an intelligible conversation with him? He talks like a clinically insane delusional person. I would have glad if Hajime personally kills him with his hamsters first time when hearing him talk.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I personally wasn't the biggest Chiaki fan (I like her alright tho) but she has by far the best execution scene in the series. I love the music and the pause of doom before the last tetris block drops. You have this 3 seconds where you think they might pull another Alter Ego rescue but nooo.

I was hoping this too, but oh well. ;_;7

Finally finished the game a little bit ago.

Definitely enjoyed it as much as the first, though some of the executions were a bit lackluster. Mikan's was just... UH WHAT? Gundham's was lame.

Didn't expect everyone there to be mass murderers who were part of Ultimate Despair.

As much as I loved the game, I don't think I'll be trying for the platinum, seems far too grindy, especially the Monomi mini game, which looks to be far too luck based. I'm not Makoto/Nagito here.

Rubedo

Gonna read IF later!

Trial 6 in a nutshell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH0eJY95rMY

Mdesilva

I dunno guys, I definitely considered the possibility of it being VR from early on in the prologue. There were a lot of clues there and stuff, like the startup screen with all the code and the green door…

LiK

Try this maybe: http://diehardgamefan.com/2014/09/08/walkthroughfaq-dangan-ronpa-2-goodbye-despair/

Edit: I don't know what you guys like about that Tanaka guy, but have you managed to strike an intelligible conversation with him? He talks like a clinically insane delusional person. I would have glad if Hajime personally kills him with his hamsters first time when hearing him talk.

yea, found that earlier. very useful but so far that stupid grass skirt won't drop. ugh

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
yea, found that earlier. very useful but so far that stupid grass skirt won't drop. ugh
Having this same problem. I've played Stage 3 on Easy about 4 times now & nothing, despite getting about 2 or 3 drops each time.

Hahah. Just got all of Nekomaru's Hope Shards and I saw that his trophy is called "Caught in a Rad Bromance" Fucking amazing. Someone give NISA a GOTY award just for that.

Top Bottom