• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Nyoro SF

I have to say over reflection that I liked the DR1 cast much more. They were able to carve out their own niche while not being as disconnected from each other or the main character and their interactions with each other were more interesting.

There were too many characters in DR2 that acted like wallpaper or backdrop for a scene rather than interacting with Hajime or each other. That's probably my main complaint with the game.

By the time there were connections made between cast members, one of them usually died immediately afterwards.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*does Hiyoko's free time to finish the females*

"Everyone who shares my last name eventually dies a crazy death!"

.......I don't know, the death itself wasn't all that crazy...I mean, the whole pillar thing, yeah, but not the way ya died.

& it's easy to see why she's an Ultimate Despair.

Hajime's inner dialogue and self reflection is infinitely more compelling Makoto "we musn't give up hope-repeat ad nauseum" Naegi.

Hajime's inner conflict was poorly done and barely existent. When the "course reserve" reveal happened and he acted upset for like 2 lines, I just rolled my eyes at how unconvincing it was. For most of the game Hajime felt like a flavorless window, not a real character.

JNA

Banned
Makoto is still more interesting than Hajime until the very end of the game. Somehow they made an even blander MC than the first game.

tumblr_inline_mr639zH5iM1rlpnrr.jpg

People throw around the word "bland" too much without actually describing how a character is one.

I thought Hajime was almost as realistic of an anime protagonist as you can get. His reactions to a lot of shit that went down would fit into how I would react.

Instead of the whiny cry baby protagonist we usually see.

PK Gaming

Hajime's inner conflict was poorly done and barely existent. When the "course reserve" reveal happened and he acted upset for like 2 lines, I just rolled my eyes at how unconvincing it was. For most of the game Hajime felt like a flavorless window, not a real character.

Well, I disagree with you on just about everything. In my opinion, you are completely and utterly wrong about Hajime's characterization, which was definitely one of the strength's of the game. The fact that you consider Makoto Naegi more compelling as a character him leads me to believe that you didn't fully engage with or understand the themes surrounding his character. Claiming that he's a blank slate is quite frankly, ridiculous, especially considering he's very clearly introduced as someone with a near zealous adoration for Hope's Peak academy, and that's reflected in his attitude during the prologue (in which he's despondent and refuses to engage with the others at first).

LamaBraveheart

Neo Member

Disagree. Hajime one of most realistic protagonist I have ever played in Japanese video game. And he wasnt upset for just two lines, he made references about his feelings throughout the rest of the game. But then he would also say he needs to focus on more important things (getting off the island, solving a murder, etc)

Hajime was off-putting at first for me due to his cynicism, but ultimately I thought that he was much more compelling than Makoto. He was a stronger presence at the class trials, and I thought his reaction to learning about the reserve course was appropriate- I imagine people would complain if he wouldn't shut up about his lack of Ultimate ability. Instead, though clearly upset about the revelation, he puts it aside to the best of his ability to focus on the situation at hand. He didn't have time to whine about being a Reserve Course student.

JNA

Banned
Disagree. Hajime one of most realistic protagonist I have ever played in Japanese video game. And he wasnt upset for just two lines, he made references about his feelings throughout the rest of the game. But then he would also say he needs to focus on more important things (getting off the island, solving a murder, etc)

No way. Hajime is snarky and somewhat cynical. He actually has some character to him whereas Makoto has a personality almost anyone could self-insert themselves into.

Hajime was off-putting at first for me due to his cynicism, but ultimately I thought that he was much more compelling than Makoto. He was a stronger presence at the class trials, and I thought his reaction to learning about the reserve course was appropriate- I imagine people would complain if he wouldn't shut up about his lack of Ultimate ability. Instead, though clearly upset about the revelation, he puts it aside to the best of his ability to focus on the situation at hand. He didn't have time to whine about being a Reserve Course student.

He also clearly wanted to take his mind off the Reserve Course thing. Whenever Nagito brought it up, he still winced.

Agree with all of this.

Well, I disagree with you on just about everything. In my opinion, you are completely and utterly wrong about Hajime's characterization, which was definitely one of the strength's of the game. The fact that you consider Makoto Naegi more compelling as a character him leads me to believe that you didn't fully engage with or understand the themes surrounding his character. Claiming that he's a blank slate is quite frankly, ridiculous, especially considering he's very clearly introduced as someone with a near zealous adoration for Hope's Peak academy, and that's reflected in his attitude during the prologue (in which he's despondent and refuses to engage with the others at first).
I understand the themes of his character, I just don't think they were well executed. And while blank slate is a exaggeration, for most of the game he doesn't demonstrate these character traits all that strongly, nor did I find him remotely compelling until chapter 6. He didn't function as much more than a player avatar until then.

I wish he was more cynical. That might have given him more of a strong personality.

Labrys

I forgot I never gave my ranking when everyone else was. Well here it is (most to least):

Teruteru Hanamura
Peko Pekoyama
Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu
Ibuki Mioda
Chiaki Nanami
Twogami
Sonia Nevermind
Nekomaru Nidai
Akane Owari
Gundham Tanaka
Mahiru Koizumi
Tsumiki Mikan
Kazuichi Soda
literally every other character
Hiyoko Saioji
Nagito Komaeda

DaBoss

Makoto is someone with an inferiority complex, just like Nagito, but not as extreme (seems to be a common trait among Ultimate Lucky Students). He knows he got into the school just by luck (unluckiness). He is also a pushover, so he does what other people say and tries to be nice and friendly to everyone.

Calling him a "blank slate" is incorrect.

Hajime doesn't feel compelled to be kind to everyone which you can tell from at the start where he tells Nagito to go away lol. They're two different characters under different circumstances and pasts so they act differently.

petghost

Banned
I forgot I never gave my ranking when everyone else was. Well here it is (most to least):

Teruteru Hanamura
Peko Pekoyama
Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu
Ibuki Mioda
Chiaki Nanami
Twogami
Sonia Nevermind
Nekomaru Nidai
Akane Owari
Gundham Tanaka
Mahiru Koizumi
Tsumiki Mikan
Kazuichi Soda
literally every other character
Hiyoko Saioji
Nagito Komaeda

I thought teruteru was really fun but he didn't really get developed because of the fact he died instantly. Wish he stuck around longer.

PK Gaming

Well, he doesn't really get to stand out on his own since he's mostly occupied with murders/reacting to whatever insane circumstance that's presented before him. I'll concede that outside of chapter 1, 5 and 6, he's pretty mild. (Though noticeably less mild than Makoto)

Rubedo

Did we talk about how awesome playing as Nagito in Chapter 4 was yet? Because that was awesome.

I thought I was doing well in the Final Dead Room until I got to the laptop password thing with the planets. I had to rage quit and pay up 100 coins.

Well, he doesn't really get to stand out on his own since he's mostly occupied with murders/reacting to whatever insane circumstance that's presented before him. I'll concede that outside of chapter 1, 5 and 6, he's pretty mild. (Though noticeably less mild than Makoto)

Makoto mostly stands out with his silly overeactions, but both Danganronpa protagonists are pretty mild compared to other VNs.

LiK

tumblr_inline_mr639zH5iM1rlpnrr.jpg

People throw around the word "bland" too much without actually describing how a character is one.

I thought Hajime was almost as realistic of an anime protagonist as you can get. His reactions to a lot of shit that went down would fit into how I would react.

Instead of the whiny cry baby protagonist we usually see.

yea, i liked Hajime. very relatable

Sorian

Banned
I thought I was doing well in the Final Dead Room until I got to the laptop password thing with the planets. I had to rage quit and pay up 100 coins.

Wait, it cost coins to skip? You know if you kept talking to Monomi the game just told you all the answers outright.

bobawesome

Oh, ranking our favorite characters is still a thing? In that case...

Fuyuhiko Kuzuryu
Akane Owari
Nagito Komaeda
Hajime Hinata
Mahiru Koizumi
Nekomaru Nidai
Sonia Nevermind
Mikan Tsukimi
Peko Pekoyama
Chiaki Nanami
Gundham Tanaka
Hiyoko Saionji
Byakuya Togami (?)
Teruteru Hanamura
Ibuki Mioda
Kazuichi Soda

I'm honestly surprised how my list turned out. Going into the game I fully expected to love Ibuki and hate Fuyuhiko but the latter really grew on me and had an interesting enough character arc while Ibuki was just...there. I didn't find anything she said funny or cute. She just got on my nerves.
tehpenguinofdoom

LiK

Wait, it cost coins to skip? You know if you kept talking to Monomi the game just told you all the answers outright.

jokes on them. i had 0 coins and they still let me skip Final Dead Room during a replay even tho they asked for 100 coins.

Alfredo

For some reason, I equate Ibuki to being SpongeBob. It's not exactly the most detailed comparison, but their constant positivity and goofiness make them seem similar to me.

...and I like SpongeBob, so I guess I like Ibuki, lol.

Vylash

if you keep fumbling around it'll eventually give you the option to skip for 100 coins, it's what i did and i'm so glad it's in there

Sorian

Banned
if you keep fumbling around it'll eventually give you the option to skip for 100 coins, it's what i did and i'm so glad it's in there

I noticed clicking the bars gave me a message about skipping the puzzle entirely too but I exited out of that cause I wanted to do it on my own (lol) I'm assuming that would have cost coins as well?

Rubedo

DR1 characters had even worse lack of common sense. That extension cord dumbfounded them like the best of 'em.

"Omg gaiz someone took a knife from the Kitchen but Sakura and I were in the Dining Hall the whole time. The only person to go to the kitchen was Sayaka. Who could have possibly gotten that knife?!"

MSMrRound

DR2 characters seem to be more involved with the trials (rebuttal showdown helps quite a bit)

DR1 was basically the Makoto-Kyoko-Byakuya show for most of the time.

I like Hajime better than Makoto. He's more realistic when it comes to reacting towards events etc. I like his sense of skepticism right from the start. It actually took him a while to warm up to the others too.

Makoto was the one living happy go lucky "hope will prevail" and spent his time crushing over Sayaka, who eventually attempted to frame Makoto for a murder. Video show that something happened to my family? Who cares!? Sayaka wants to switch rooms with me! Now I can sneak into her bathroom, and find out what kind of shampoo she is using! *sniffs* Even then, he still used 11037 as a password for the Neo World Project gate..while it's a nice call back to the first game, it's just...*roll eyes*...you know?

Vylash

They actually entertained the idea that Kirigiri was a ghost.

fuckin hiro

Makoto was the one living happy go lucky "hope will prevail" and spent his time crushing over Sayaka, who eventually attempted to frame Makoto for a murder. Video show that something happened to my family? Who cares!? Sayaka wants to switch rooms with me! Now I can sneak into her bathroom, and find out what kind of shampoo she is using! *sniffs* Even then, he still used 11037 as a password for the Neo World Project gate..while it's a nice call back to the first game, it's just...*roll eyes*...you know?
oh come on, he wasn't that bad about Sayaka

arue

Man this thread moves on so fast.

I want to discuss AE's trailer, but I'll spoiler tag it in case some people want to go into AE blind.

In this trailer,
what do you guys think of the person at around the 2:25 mark? He looks like Chihiro with glasses, but he is... you know, dead. I'm thinking that he is a new character, but I just can't shake this feeling that he looks like Chihiro. Furthermore, he was using a computer, which makes him even more interesting.

AE is looking better now. I think I'll spoil myself on the story when it comes out.

Are you guys ready to GET YOUR GAME ON?!

XHfPyIy.png

Porygon2: A member of the clan Porygon making it onto her team was a given, but the big question was which one deserved the spot? Porygon2 ultimately made the cut because like Chiaki, it's slow and analytic, but also fiercely competent when the time arises; morose than any of its brethren. It's also fondly reminiscent of a bygone era, in a similar sense to how Chiaki's character is prone to making people strangely nostalgic about their past gaming experiences.

Wigglytuff: She absolutely had to have something to rep her lil' sis Usami, but the problem is that most rabbit Pokémon suck eggs. Thus, PK helped me choose a critter that ticked all the right boxes: pink and white colouration, big ears, fairylike nature, and caring heart.

Genesect: Of course Chiaki would go out of her way to find a Pokémon that changes cartridges to change the properties of its attacks. The female Genesect in the most recent Pokémon movie also had a feminine voice akin to Chiaki's, so they'd probably have some pretty weird conversations, I'd imagine.

Musharna: Chiaki's a big ol' sleepyhead, but not in the same kind of way as say, Snorlax or Slaking. Musharna helped rep her narcoleptic tendencies and her ethereal, metahuman nature at the same time, so it ultimately made the cut over its drowsy cohorts.

Scrafty: Chiaki is cool and adorable. Scrafty is cool and adorable. Chiaki wears a hood. Scrafty wears a hood. Chiaki is fiercely protective of her friends. Scrafty is fiercely protective of its friends. IT ALL CONNECTS!

Mega Slowbro: I actually made the decision to put this fella on her team before it was suggested in the thread yesterday, so I'm happy that you guys see the connection without me having to explain it. Just like Chiaki, Slowbro is quiet and reserved as well as a bit, well, slow on the uptake, and yet both still manage to be great assets to their respective teams as well as possessing immense mental strength and fortitude. I think they'd get together like two peas in a pod.

That's all for today, folks! Tomorrow we'll do Byakuya Togami II since he received the second-highest number of votes, followed by runner-up Ibuki Mioda on Saturday!

kewlmyc

I want to discuss AE's trailer, but I'll spoiler tag it in case some people want to go into AE blind.

In this trailer,
what do you guys think of the person at around the 2:25 mark? He looks like Chihiro with glasses, but he is... you know, dead. I'm thinking that he is a new character, but I just can't shake this feeling that he looks like Chihiro. Furthermore, he was using a computer, which makes him even more interesting.

AE is looking better now. I think I'll spoil myself on the story when it comes out.
They're brothers I think. He was shown in a piece of promotional art. He's a good guy.

In this trailer,

It's probably Chihiro's kid brother or something. AE seems to be introducing a bunch of family members of the characters. Hell, we even get Ishimaru's father! :]

MSMrRound

In this trailer,

Same voice actor and everything. Younger brother I would guess? Apparently someone is going about Ishimaru's dad making an appearance in AE as well. So we get Asahina's younger brother, who I assume to be Yasuhiro's older sister, Chihiro's relative, Ishimaru's father and Naegi's sister. Who else?

arue

They're brothers I think. He was shown in a piece of promotional art. He's a good guy.

It's probably Chihiro's kid brother or something. AE seems to be introducing a bunch of family members of the characters. Hell, we even get Ishimaru's father! :]

Same voice actor and everything. Younger brother I would guess? Apparently someone is going about Ishimaru's dad making an appearance in AE as well. So we get Asahina's younger brother, who I assume to be Yasuhiro's older sister, Chihiro's relative, Ishimaru's father and Naegi's sister. Who else?
Whoa seems like I missed on a bunch of promotional art.
Thanks for the answers guys! I'm really excited for AE now.

Top Bottom