• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

LiK

Hahah. Just got all of Nekomaru's Hope Shards and I saw that his trophy is called "Caught in a Rad Bromance" Fucking amazing. Someone give NISA a GOTY award just for that.

yea, allt he trophy names in DR1 and DR2 are smart and make sense in context with the game. I really like their localizers.

Rubedo

I dunno guys, I definitely considered the possibility of it being VR from early on in the prologue. There were a lot of clues there and stuff, like the startup screen with all the code and the green door…

Yeah the Hope's Peak door at the start was in a hall of digital looking stuff and the seemingly magic stuff like a chicken turning into a cow made me suspect that early on.

LiK

Yeah the Hope's Peak door at the start was in a hall of digital looking stuff and the seemingly magic stuff like a chicken turning into a cow made me suspect that early on.

also the main character said he wasn't sure why he was moving right in the beginning. made me suspicious.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
They definitely give you a lot of clues in the beginning. But they mostly drop those after the first chapter, Monokuma references aside, as they direct your attention to other craziness.

LX_Theo

Banned
also the main character said he wasn't sure why he was moving right in the beginning. made me suspicious.

It was probably the most easily speculated of the late game plot twists, I will say. I certainly considered the idea of them being in a simulation from those early hints. The game just proceeds to make the hints more subtle and few and far between afterwards to the point you forget about it until late game.

Jamix012

It was probably the most easily speculated of the late game plot twists, I will say. I certainly considered the idea of them being in a simulation from those early hints. The game just proceeds to make the hints more subtle and few and far between afterwards to the point you forget about it until late game.

Yeah! No I just thought it was kind of brilliant. I think at first it's trying to make you think that you're like a robot or AI or something as your character is the only one who's forgotten your talent, but by the time you figure out that's not the case, there have been so few additional hints that you basically forget the beginning ever happened. Only at the end does it all click and make sense. At least that's how it was for me.

LiK

yea, a simulation wasn't that far off for me but how they presented the reveal in Chapter 0 & 6 was pretty sweet. Loved all the weird ass effects.

the 8bit version of the music was excellent especially the one from the trial.

DaBoss

I thought they were in some sort computer program thing (simulation is a much better word, but I didn't think of the word at all when I first posted my prediction lol) as soon as I saw some code being executed. I didn't think they would do that without a reason much like the first punishment in DR1 wasn't just for show, it was actually someone relevant to the plot (Jin Kirigiri).

Vylash

i...never guessed that it was a game...

Owari_%2827%29.png

FluxWaveZ

It was rather easy to guess it was all a simulation from the start with the weird glitches. When things like the environment becoming cloudy and sinister when Monokuma appears; when 'Monobeasts' become a thing and when Hajime makes a passing mention that everyday has been sunny on the island since they've been there, but that "thinking about that would be a waste of time", it becomes all too apparent that something's up.

Also, guessing Chiaki was in cahoots with Monomi was also, unfortunately, simple because of the figure of Chiaki and Monomi making a similar pose someone posted in the DR OT a while back, as well as the fact that she's right at the center of the LE box art. Plus, in one of the few times Chiaki volunteers to do something that's not part of murder investigation, it's to hang out outside alone with Monomi, during the party.

The Ultimate Despair twist was really nice and unexpected, though.

20cent

Banned
My friend, who knows Japanese and had knowledge of both games beforehand, was pretty good about warning me about potential spoilers. Told me not to google anything and he warned me about any spoilers in official trailers. Thanks to him I went into DR1 and DR2 completely unspoiled.
That applies to anything that contain spoilers (everything?) . TV shows / movies / videogames..... Don't google and don't go to forums to discuss a thing you haven't seen yet when it has been already out and you don't want to be spoiled.

I thought they were in some sort computer program thing (simulation is a much better word, but I didn't think of the word at all when I first posted my prediction lol) as soon as I saw some code being executed. I didn't think they would do that without a reason much like the first punishment in DR1 wasn't just for show, it was actually someone relevant to the plot (Jin Kirigiri).
Yeah, within the first minute, even at the title screen, they kept using videogames codes and visuals, I suspected the simulation at my first launch of the game. I slowly forgot about it until the last chapter as I haven't left the game once (thanks to the vita sleep mode)

LX_Theo

Banned
That applies to anything that contain spoilers (everything?) . TV shows / movies / videogames..... Don't google and don't go to forums to discuss a thing you haven't seen yet when it has been already out and you don't want to be spoiled.

Well, DR seems to be particularly easily spoiled. The combination of a plot that kills off the cast early and often with much of the fandom's post game conversation/artistic expression focusing on items strongly connected to plot twists... Doesn't bode well. Especially when the game's enjoyment can be hurt immensely by being spoiled.

Vylash

not entirely true, but games that are narrative heavy such as Danganronpa or Ace Attorney are completely prone to spoilers, mainly sprites since the criminals always freak out

Hope you're all thirty-one flavours of stoked for today's PokeRonpa subject!

YieUZT5.png

Noibat: Noibat, like Ibuki, is cute and loud. They've also both got a ton of potential hidden beneath all of their silliness that only comes into play via cooperation with others, as revealed in Ibuki's FTEs. Noibat's got the speaker motif befitting of a rock goddess, too!

Jigglypuff: Aside from the obvious music connection (albeit Jiggly and Ibuki's songs have the exact opposite effect on people), anyone who's seen the anime knows that Jigglypuff likes getting into all sorts of mischief that's totally unrelated to the conflict at hand, reflecting Ibuki's propensity to spout random nonsense at inappropriate times that serves to do nothing but bamboozle the rest of the students.

Meloetta: What better way to represent the Ultimate Musician with the Ultimate Musical Pokemon? Meloetta can control people's emotions with her song, which is similar to how Ibuki can cause endless despair with a single performance.

Rotom: A literal ball of energy that loves getting into trouble almost as much as it likes having fun? Yup, that's our Ultimate Musician.

Chatot: This little birdie has perhaps the best sense of hearing out of any 'mon there is, and can also perfectly imitate any sound that it has ever heard. This ties into Ibuki's amazing sense of hearing as revealed in Chapter 1, as well as her ability to completely and accurately recite the dialogue of an entire room full of people over the course of a few minutes.

Mega Altaria: Fluffy McCloud is famous for its ability to literally brighten up people's days by instilling them with a radiant light of pure happiness and joy while at the same time being one of the few capable of learning the deadly Perish Song. If that's not a match made in heaven, I dunno what is.

HUGE thanks to PK Gaming and Moonlight for helping me pick today's team. From now on, if any of you want to help in the construction of your favourite character's Pokeronpa entry, just shoot me a PM and I'll gladly accept any suggestions.

So, who's next? Whoever posts some nice fanart of today's subject gets to decide!

20cent

Banned
Well, DR seems to be particularly easily spoiled. The combination of a plot that kills off the cast early and often with much of the fandom's post game conversation/artistic expression focusing on items strongly connected to plot twists... Doesn't bode well. Especially when the game's enjoyment can be hurt immensely by being spoiled.

I agree, without looking for anything DR related nor thinking about spoilers I didn't feel like struggling to avoid them. Or maybe I've seen things related to SDR2 without knowing it, but since I didn't look for any information about it I didn't know characters names or looks prior to playing the game for the 1st time.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Part of me wants to know what they looked like after becoming Ultimate Despairs, especially after seeing Nagito with Junko's arm.

..........actually, now that I think about it, isn't it possible we might see the DR2 cast in Another? I already know that
Nagito
was confirmed to return.

LX_Theo

Banned
I agree, without looking for anything DR related nor thinking about spoilers I didn't feel like struggling to avoid them. Or maybe I've seen things related to SDR2 without knowing it, but since I didn't look for any information about it I didn't know characters names or looks prior to playing the game for the 1st time.

Well, staying away from the subject is a generally full proof plan. Not everyone wants to do that, mind you. Know this, some people got spoiled off of video thumbnails on youtube (suggested videos type stuff) when they were simply listening to the music. Its surprising how easily one can get spoiled without even trying much. At the same time, there is always that simple strategy that is generally pretty full-proof.

tookhster

FINALLY finished the game so I can post here. I usually play in 1-2 hour increments, but I spent like 5 hours straight all last night finishing chapters 5 and 6. Random thoughts in my head I want to vent out:

- I liked the characters, but I don't think they are as memorable as the first cast. I felt that some of the more interesting and likeable characters like Mahiru, "Byakuya", and even Ibuki and Nekomaru, died too early....whereas in the first game I felt like the victims died in a "good" order.

- I liked Hajime as the main protagonist, but I didn't really like how everyone just kinda randomly started looking up to him as a leader right after fake Byakuya died. I know Makoto gets a lot of deserved hate, but in the first game, I liked how he steadily went from being handheld all the time by Kyoko and Byakuya, to finally being able to figure some things by his own by the end of the game. In this one, every character has their moments and aren't completely stupid like the ones in DR1, but that kind of weakened Hajime's spotlight for me.

- I'm kinda tired of the whole "dumb characters survive" thing. I like Akane and I know she's strong and stuff, but she was basically the Yasuhiro of this game, as in I can't believe she managed to stay alive when more mature characters like Byakuya, Gundam, and even Nagito get killed or murder someone themselves.

-Nagito was awesome. The guy is creepy as fuck but his ramblings about hope and luck and crap made me think about stuff sometimes. He also had what I consider the best "plan" of the series - that suicide was crazy. And I felt bad for him when I realized that he was acting all depressed and stuff because he found out who he and the others really were.

-Speaking of Nagito, I got chills when I saw the part where he shows his transplanted hand. A bunch of thoughts in my head came up, like what if he was Junko reincarnated or something - but yeah. And that music that was playing during his death and the arm reveal - creepy as fuck, too. Is there any significance to it besides covering the noise of the Monokuma panels?

-Really hated Mechamaru....I thought he was a little too over-the-top for the game, even though this is a game with a robotic teddy bear that can do anything. He just stopped being funny after the initial reveal and I didn't feel anything at all when he died in chapter 4.

- I think Monokuma was a little underused in this game. I think that Monomi might have something to do with that, but I felt that he was way more terrifying in the first game, with how he killed fake Junko in the beginning and just how he would bully Makoto. In this one he seemed to pop up for like 2 seconds, say something, and disappear all the time.

-I was really disappointed in the Monobeasts and how they were used. I thought that each one would be used to execute the killer in each chapter, but no, they're just used as gates for the other islands and get destroyed by Monomi? C'mon.

-The music in this game was awesome. I thought the investigation music from the first game was better at first, but this one really grew on me. And there would be certain times where the music would give me chills at night during creepy moments, like I mentioned before.

- I can't say I liked the minigames in this one. I know what they were trying to do - they were trying to make them more game-y instead of simple text stuff, but I got really annoyed with pretty much all of them because I just wanted the trial to move on.

Overall, I thought it was great and I can't wait for DR3 whenever it comes out. Hopefully the time it takes to release here will be less than 2 years after Japan, because trying to avoid spoilers for this series is truly the Ultimate Despair.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well, staying away from the subject is a generally full proof plan. Not everyone wants to do that, mind you. Know this, some people got spoiled off of video thumbnails on youtube (suggested videos type stuff) when they were simply listening to the music. Its surprising how easily one can get spoiled without even trying much. At the same time, there is always that simple strategy that is generally pretty full-proof.
I thought I almost got spoiled just typing "Danganronpa Byakuya" because I was trying to remember how to spell his name & the suggestion underneath it was "danganronpa byakuya execution", making me think I just spoiled myself.....amazingly, I didn't, but yeah, just goes to show how easy it can be to spoil something in this game if you're not careful.

Moonlight

Banned
Hope you're all thirty-one flavours of stoked for today's PokeRonpa subject!

YieUZT5.png
Been waiting so hard for this, haha. Excellent job, Scrafty. Ibuki couldn't ask for better reps.
Not to toot my own horn. :p

To celebrate this occasion...

I'm gonna go ahead and ask for Peko.

Tuulenpoika

Neo Member
Did any one of you wish that the Logic Dive could have been a separate minigame in the main menu with several levels? I think it would have been very cool.

And even though the Monomi thing plays well and all that, it felt somehow out of place. Can't really explain it. Of course it's good for a few laughs, every time the stage is completed and the sound cue plays it makes me think "what the hell did I just play?" At least the game itself isn't bad.

IF novel was a great addition, I always wanted to read it ever since I read about its existence after playing the first game.

Rubedo

So back during Chapter 3 I thought when Nekomaru and Akane were talking about doing "it" I thought they were talking about sparring. I just went back to unlock their special item event and found out that was not the case. These bonus scenes are so random.

Despair!Naegi and Asahina looks great. That doll addition on Naegi killed it.

Not so much liking the others, feels like black-dress Sonia alone would've worked.

Labrys

tumblr_mn8ecbSJIL1s2csq4o1_500.png

"umm… i havent finished dangan ronpa so i dont know who the mastermind is… but i wanted to make a mastermind junko sprite like the ones on here because i haven’t seen anyone do it yet…! i hope you like it!! o_O;"

it's obv a joke but i got a chuckle

Vylash

Ibuki and Chiaki would've had awesome ones

Ibuki: "I'm gonna bite ya!" or "Time for an encore!"

Chiaki: "Inputting cheat code" or "Time to level up"

Tuulenpoika

Neo Member
Might as well say it here, too, if any of you have noticed this:

I accidentally found out something odd about the framerate in this game. If you go to the Rocketpunch Supermarket, access the vending machine, open the item list and then exit, the whole game starts to run 60fps. This effect stays in effect as long as you don't open the menu with the square button. It's very bizarre, since during the "normal" 30fps gameplay some slowdown can be witnessed, especially during some class trial minigames. But when played on 60fps, the slowdown seems to disappear completely.

This makes me wonder if the game is really supposed to run consistently with this framerate? I contacted NISA about the matter (and about the various misplaced text pieces) and they said that nothing could be done. It's kind of a shame, really. Of course, these flaws didn't ruin the game by any means, but it feels kind of sad to think how we could have gotten a perfectly optimized experience. At first I thought the Panic Talk Action delay was intended, but after trying it with the 60fps framerate, it was definitely meant to be played like that.

And yeah, I know, "what does the framerate matter in a game like this?" but come on, just try the Panic Talk Action with 60fps.

I just noticed this morning that you can actually trigger this also via the main menu, by going to the Extras section, selecting Monokuma Yachine and exiting. You can see how smooth the menu transitions are. If you try to load your save from an overworld part of the game, however, it doesn't change the framerate like the supermarket vending machine trick. But if you resume a save from a class trial, it seems to work, at least for PTA.

I noticed that even though the PTA part doesn't play in 60fps, it recognizes the button presses more accurately. Try saving just before PTA part in any trial, do the framerate change thing in the menu and give it a try. At least for the first PTA, there's definitely a difference.

Alfredo

Might as well say it here, too, if any of you have noticed this:

I just noticed this morning that you can actually trigger this also via the main menu, by going to the Extras section, selecting Monokuma Yachine and exiting. You can see how smooth the menu transitions are. If you try to load your save from an overworld part of the game, however, it doesn't change the framerate like the supermarket vending machine trick. But if you resume a save from a class trial, it seems to work, at least for PTA.

I noticed that even though the PTA part doesn't play in 60fps, it recognizes the button presses more accurately. Try saving just before PTA part in any trial, do the framerate change thing in the menu and give it a try. At least for the first PTA, there's definitely a difference.

Whooaa. Mind blowing. I thought menus looked faster after visiting the vending machine.

The inconsistent framerate during trials and mini games is pretty crappy. I owner how the PSP versions ran...

Tuulenpoika

Neo Member
Whooaa. Mind blowing. I thought menus looked faster after visiting the vending machine.

The inconsistent framerate during trials and mini games is pretty crappy. I owner how the PSP versions ran...

Yeah, I've heard the same from some people who have played the original on PSP. It really does suck since on Vita the game definitely shouldn't have these kinds of problems, but since NISA only localized the game, they don't have the means (or don't see a need) to fix things with a patch, unless they are in contact with Spike Chunsoft directly about the matter.

Labrys

Yeah, I've heard the same from some people who have played the original on PSP. It really does suck since on Vita the game definitely shouldn't have these kinds of problems, but since NISA only localized the game, they don't have the means (or don't see a need) to fix things with a patch, unless they are in contact with Spike Chunsoft directly about the matter.

If the VLR save-erasing glitches weren't patched, I don't think this will be either. If anything the Chapter 4 glitches will be fixed before it.

Tuulenpoika

Neo Member
If the VLR save-erasing glitches weren't patched, I don't think this will be either. If anything the Chapter 4 glitches will be fixed before it.

Chapter 4 glitches? I noticed some text placement mess-ups in Monokuma Diary section, but other than that, I can't remember. Care to elaborate?

Labrys

Chapter 4 glitches? I noticed some text placement mess-ups in Monokuma Diary section, but other than that, I can't remember. Care to elaborate?

People have been falling through the floor in the Grape and Strawberry house, worse case I saw was when you fall into the dead escape room and cannot map jump out. I also think someone got a text box glitch there too, where it never came up and they had to reset. The whole area is really unstable in this version.

MSMrRound

My entire screen went white (I was on Grape Tower first floor) and I can't see where I'm going. I only see those pixel monokumas (from the tv screens in the momokuma museum on the 3rd floor) flickering at the far end and could not really approach them.

Had to restart chapter 4 because of it.

Top Bottom