• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Hmm... I don't really think that the 16 in DR2 were all of the Ultimate Despair.

Not even close, but they're both probably the most important and the only ones that remained considering everyone else suicided after Junko's death.

The things Naegi mentioned had to be them because the entire point of that was to tell them that they were sick, horrible people before the memory erasing.

It can't be anyone but the game's cast.

FluxWaveZ

Not even close, but they're both probably the most important and the only ones that remained considering everyone else suicided after Junko's death.

Huh? The only reference to suicide in regards to the Ultimate Despair I'm aware of are only the Reserve Course students who all killed themselves for Junko, with the only exception being Hajime.

Also, I had interpreted what was said about the Ultimate Despair to demonstrate just how messed up that group is, and not specifically how messed up the Hope's Peak survivors were.

To be fair, at least Monokuma upped the motives in SDR2.

I don't agree with this. I felt that the motives in DR1 were far more egregious.

DaBoss

That's how I was, but nope...and I was like that with DR2, but the reasons for the killings in DR2 are more "understandable" or something. Especially the one in Chapter 4.
I don't agree with this. I felt that the motives in DR1 were far more egregious.
I don't think motives is the right word to use, but there was really something more to the killings in DR2. And it usually involved Monokuma going out of his way to make sure something happens.

Huh? The only reference to suicide in regards to the Ultimate Despair I'm aware of are only the Reserve Course students who all killed themselves for Junko, with the only exception being Hajime.

I was reading the wiki to refresh my memory so if that's wrong blame them >_>

KingDirk

So are we just assuming that Junko had a sliding scale of 'success' in this situation? I get that we are supposed to handwave a lot of stuff because 'lol, no motives just despair,' but during the final case it seemed very Joker in the Dark Knight case of 'all these things have to go right for this plan to work' OR she's just acting like it's her plan all along.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think motives is the right word to use, but there was really something more to the killings in DR2. And it usually involved Monokuma going out of his way to make sure something happens.

What I mean by "motives" is strictly the concept Monokuma himself uses as a means to propel the murders. The murders themselves are different. Chapter 4, for example, was pretty much the only case where the murder was pretty much directly caused by Monokuma due to the forceful circumstances they were put in.

LX_Theo

Banned

The things Naegi mentioned had to be them because the entire point of that was to tell them that they were sick, horrible people before the memory erasing.

It can't be anyone but the game's cast.

No, that also is making assumptions. Makoto was establishing what the group they were part of like. Making the point of what the group was like before has no requirement for citing specific examples of what they did. Realistically, its more likely Makoto simply listed off what he heard about what they did. I sincerely doubt he'd even be able to know what the group of 16 did, bar obvious stuff like Nagito's arm. They didn't come off as very open with information to Makoto and company.

Not to mention, the suicide thing being wrong has already been noted.

Rubedo

To be fair, at least Monokuma upped the motives in SDR2.

I don't know. I feel like the first game's motives were intended to psychologically goad people into doing it but someone with enough willpower could ignore it. In the second one, he was basically holding a gun to their head to kill someone. You can't just ignore starving to death. And I felt the second motive was unfair because it was specifically designed to trigger Fuyuhiko/Peko into killing whereas it wouldn't mean anything to most people. So it was rigged against those two from the start.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The motives in 1 where especially evil when the twist is revealed though. Having your secrets exposed? Doesn't matter the world is fucked. Get a large sum of money? Who cares, the world is literally fucked. Any reward relating to the outside world is warped because of what the world has become. Also, the people that you killed because of it were your best friends.

MSMrRound

Beta designs for some of the characters

Kuzuryuu_beta.png

Nidai_beta_(2).png

Tumblr_inline_mlzzssehar1qz4rgp.jpg

Tanaka.jpeg

Terubeta.png

Prototype_komaeda.jpg

Oh my god they gave beta Komaeda Chiaki's hood. Whaaaaat. Also, beta Komaeda seems so much closer to Naegi...(3rd picture is supposed to show the protagonist aka Hajime if anyone asks)

Mdesilva

Wait, what? I interpreted it as:
Nekomaru
Fuyohiko (or Teruteru?)
Hajime
Gundam
Kaz
Nagito

Edit: oooooops, the file names give the answers. Still funny that I was so far off for some!

They actually went through a lot of designs for Nidai, lol

Enough to fill a whole page spread in the artbook.

They just couldn't decide if the manager needed to be more buff or less buff than the athletes, lol

Labrys

Where are people getting that they took the ovaries from "tried to have children with Junko's dead body"?

I thought that implied...something else...

The original text implied ovaries/sex organs being taken, the "tried to have children" was more of a loose translation from NIS.

For anyone not keeping up with the non-spoiler thread, I finished drawing my three favourite characters:

1csJ6dg.png

Why'd they have to be the last three to die? I thought that at least one of them would survive :(

Wow this looks great! Would you mind telling me what you used to make these? I draw too, and I've been thinking of giving pixel art a shot aha.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
The original text implied ovaries/sex organs being taken, the "tried to have children" was more of a loose translation from NIS.
That's actually somewhat less fucked up than what the NIS text implied, I'm kinda relieved.

Rubedo

Ah. Well I personally prefer the NISA version on that one since it makes the Ultimate Despairs seem even more psychologically fucked up.

arue

Wow beta Kuzuryuu and Nidai were basically switched in the final design. Beta Hinata looks hot :p

Beta Komaeda looks like Togami+Naegi.
I'm also glad Ibuki's hair is longer in the final design.

Corgi

Banned
I might have not been fully paying attention but i swear they originally made it sound like chiaki was an actual person that also jacked in the matrix, but later she was said to be an npc?

Also is there any sites with all the ingame cg's?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I might have not been fully paying attention but i swear they originally made it sound like chiaki was an actual person that also jacked in the matrix, but later she was said to be an npc?

?

Yeah, created by Chihiro, then modified by Alter Ego.

Vylash

If I were to make a quick suggestion... I would say go back and black out the case number. I'm sure myself and others would like to use these without them being potential spoilers.

i would if i knew how, sadly making them is the extent of my expertise

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wish there was a way to do all the hope fragments in 1 playthrough (is it possible?).

akane's real dark.
No, because Byakuya dies after free time happens 4 times. Not to mention Teruteru as well is gone, so best you can do is get 2 for each of them. That's part of the reason why Island Mode exists, so you can have a much easier method of getting those fragments.

Corgi

Banned
Started up island mode. Urgh. The fuck is this shit.

Played the psp fantranslation of 1 so I didn't see this before, but seriously why?

Is the crafting stuff worth doing?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
You need to craft things in order to get more trip tickets so you can take the others somewhere and up their relationship for that mode, as there's 2 trophies for getting the ending for one & all characters.

Though really, your first playthrough, you won't be able to make everything, so just focus on getting them leveled up so future playthroughs are easier.

Edit: YES, got all the items in the Monomi mini-game. I guess the grass skirt really did help. Wasn't too bad, especially in comparison to having to replay Island Mode about 3 or 4 more times.

Yasumi

Banned
Does anyone know for sure which translation is more accurate?
If I didn't totally screw up the transcription for that line, it should be:
他には, 江ノ島の子孫を作ろとして, 死んだ彼女の体から

It's kind of open to interpretation. Either way, the picture is definitely of someone trying to have sex with Junko parts, which may or may not be attached to another living person.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
If I didn't totally screw up the transcription for that line, it should be:
他には, 江ノ島の子孫を作ろとして, 死んだ彼女の体から

It's kind of open to interpretation. Either way, the picture is definitely of someone trying to have sex with Junko parts, which may or may not be attached to another living person.

Honeslty I though the Ultimate Despairs just tried to have sex with Junko's body because they're crazy and couldn't accept she's dead, but seeing how apparently the one in the pic is Mikan, that's wrong.

Corgi

Banned
biggest missing point of the game is, well Sonia would have had the most hilariously awesome murder ever :(

such a tease to have the serial killer fanatic not kill fools.

Yasumi

Banned
Honeslty I though the Ultimate Despairs just tried to have sex with Junko's body because they're crazy and couldn't accept she's dead, but seeing how apparently the one in the pic is Mikan, that's wrong.

Well, we don't know if that's actually Mikan. The position and expression look more like a male performing sex, than a female performing surgery on herself.

JNA

Banned
biggest missing point of the game is, well Sonia would have had the most hilariously awesome murder ever :(

Well I'm glad it didn't happen. My waifu is clean fool!

XD

As we learned from the first game, the one who knows the most about serial killing doesn't die or kill someone.

Top Bottom