• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Zephyx

How the hell does someone like him even become an ultimate despair anyway?

Junko may have killed one of his athletes and manipulated that despair into something else.. May also have something to do with his heart disease taking a toll on him, preventing him from doing his role as the Ultimate Team Manager.. Or he could have prevented him from going to the toilet.

JNA

Banned
he was the coach of the Oakland Raiders, anyone would despair

you-re-good-o.gif

Either them or the Cleveland Browns. Hell, anyone can get full of despair just by living in Cleveland. :p

I'm kidding...sorta. HEY I WOULD LOVE AN ECONOMY BASED ON LEBRON JAMES OK!? XD

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
How the hell does someone like him even become an ultimate despair anyway?
Just break everyone around him and he will break due to not having anyone around to motivate or protect.

How would a Danganronpa 3 even work, putting the basic outlines of the franchise/game design at work?

I find it difficult to imagine a situation where the Future Foundation would be intertwined in another Killing Game scenario. The big bads are mostly defeated, the remnants are still around, but I feel like it's hard to push the same setting into the same kind of escalation that DR1/2 was able to deliver. A new set of characters being put into it, with FF intervening in some sense could work from a logical standpoint, but that would feel like a retreading of 2 without the same strengths that escalated the scenario.

I mean, the setting of Dangan is ripe for a ton of things, but another mainline Killing Game scenario? I find it hard to think of one where the story could top 1/2, make logical sense while taking into account the influence and inclusions of characters from 1/2/FF, whom have already experienced despair and should be strong enough as they are to overcome it if they were thrust into that craziness again.

The only thing, as stupid as it sounds, that I can think off the top of my head of that could potentially top Dangan 1/2 while maintaining the same design is... a time-travel/Days of Future Past plotline, where characters are thrust into the original Izuru Kamakura Killing Game, and basically in an attempt to change the past, fucked with it so much that it became significantly different/worse than what actually happened, and have to fix it within that universe.

Fellow GAFers who are all far more creative than me, how would your Danganronpa 3 Mutual Killing Games setting work? Or would you suggest D3 forfeiting the Killing Game design altogether?

Meia

I've actually been wondering what they can do with a DR3 as well. I'd go so far as to even think that AE has such vastly different gameplay as an experiment to see if that could be a good direction to go forwards.

I mean, yeah, DR 3's trials and stuff are great, so maybe something along the lines of that is where they go. The "killing game" is a great idea they came up with, but after it was original in 1, and it's played off in 2 as a game with all the similarities, I wonder how a third one could even be set up at this point.

Vylash

survivors of DR 1: Makoto, Byakuya, Kyoko, Aoi, Toko, Hiro (ugh)

DR 2: Hajime, Sonia, Soda, Fuyuhiko, Akane

sounds like enough for a third killing game to me

Labrys

the average number of survivors is 5, assuming there's no double murders that's only enough people for 3 chapters. I think they'd just use a new cast.

Meia

the average number of survivors is 5, assuming there's no double murders that's only enough people for 3 chapters. I think they'd just use a new cast.

The problem I think in general is getting any member of either cast at this point to actually kill someone else in these games again. Unless we're, once again, going to wipe out memories for a third time...

Vylash

i don't think the whole game will be the killing game, mainly because i think 3 will be the last and i don't see how they could resolve everything if they're confined to yet another killing game, i think it'll be half killing game and half something else

petghost

Banned
yeah i think its gonna take extra work to set up another killing game...they gonna have to stretch. dr2 was even a bit of a stretch, though i think it worked out pretty well.

of course i dont see them abandoning this seeing as how its the premise of the series so im kinda of resigning myself to a long series of very similar games with very similar setups.

thats kinda why im psyched for AE, after all this build up about the world outside and this now robust cast of characters who we've been introduced to, im ready to see another aspect of this story that doesnt involve a killing game.

I'm actually kind of impressed with all the fan work done for this series, this being a VN and all. I think its safe to assume that either all DR fans are full of talent (pupupu) or the fan base is massive. And still talented :p

Zephyx

I doubt they'll let go of the killing game routine. That and Monokuma is what makes the franchise popular with the fanbase. They can introduce a new exploration or trial mechanic/format, introduce some kind of romance or change the premises of their scenarios to keep things fresh. But like most people, I think the sequel will be the last for this storyline. It's just hard to imagine how they can expand further with most of the plot points resolved. I'd be amazed if they can make a more intriguing and expanded storyline after these two games.

With that said, I think the sequel will be the last battle between the Ultimate Despairs (presuming there is still one remnant as there should be 16 of them if we follow the consistencies with the first and second game) and the Future Foundation. If my belief in AE being a setup for the sequel holds true, they will be able to make materials for the next game as they see fit.

Rubedo

makoto needs to watch Winter Soldier.

btw: something that bothered me for ch3, but with ibuki being affected by that virus in which she would follow orders (I think?) why couldn't mikan just have told her to hang herself? Would have pretty much have been pretty much the 'perfect' crime.

Maybe that would count as suicide and not murder, therefore Mikan wouldn't graduate?

KingDirk

Trying to think about how a DR3 would work kinda makes me wish the game went the Final Fantasy approach and had different mysteries/universes every time, but that's just me. I thought the first game worked as a nice self-contained story but the attempts to expand the universe in 2 and the spin-off stuff for me seems a bit forced at times. Not that DR2 wasn't pretty good, just wondering how it might work if it could've made its own mystery from the start.

Marcel

Trying to think about how a DR3 would work kinda makes me wish the game went the Final Fantasy approach and had different mysteries/universes every time, but that's just me. I thought the first game worked as a nice self-contained story but the attempts to expand the universe in 2 and the spin-off stuff for me seems a bit forced at times. Not that DR2 wasn't pretty good, just wondering how it might work if it could've made its own mystery from the start.

Danganronpa Another Episode is probably the closest thing we'll get to a 'Gaiden'-type game and even then,
Genocide Jack
and others are still included. DR is more like an anime where putting in familiar characters enables more fanservice which leads to merchandising.

Of course, the lack of unique characters makes sense in the context of the universe as many, many people have died due to The Tragedy. Finding the Remnants of Despair was treated as shocking and troubling by the Future Foundation which makes perfect sense when you consider the human cost of their actions.

Corgi

Banned
They could do a game based off the hope academy life that still hasn't been really explained.

I can easily see them turn that into the original killing game or something.

KingDirk

Danganronpa Another Episode is probably the closest thing we'll get to a 'Gaiden'-type game and even then,
Genocide Jack
and others are still included. DR is more like an anime where putting in familiar characters enables more fanservice which leads to merchandising.

Of course, the lack of unique characters makes sense in the context of the universe as many, many people have died due to The Tragedy. Finding the Remnants of Despair was treated as shocking and troubling by the Future Foundation which makes perfect sense when you consider the human cost of their actions.

Yarr, I get why it's done, and I'm not saying you can't tell a story around it, but the more they discuss things like The Tragedy the more they have to simultaneously comment on its absurdity while taking it seriously, and the more 'JUST ACCEPT THINGS IT'S PART OF THE NARRATIVE' moves from refreshing to just kinda tired. I think I'd just love greater opportunities to keep on enjoying the unique gameplay system they've set up, and sticking with this narrative seems like it will get in the way of that.

Tizoc

I've reached the Epilogue of Ch. 6, but regarding the revelation in Ch. 6...damn hard to believe GUNDHAM TANAKA was influenced by Junko! I JUST CAN'T SEE IT!
AND EVEN IT IF IT WERE TRUE, THAT IS SUCH TRUE DESPAIR!

Spike Chunsoft did a good job with that twist, you spend the game liking the characters personalities and quirks then you discover THEY WERE VILE AND EVIL!

Non-Despair GUNDHAM is best GUNDHAM, makes one wonder how vile his FOUR DARK DEVAS OF DESTRUCTION were *shivers*

Can't wait to play the bonus mode where Monokuma doesn't fuck it up, I like Monomi and am more attached to the current cast than the first game's :p

Very good points. Maybe AE is an experiment to see how the fan base reacts to the shift from the trials to a more action based game. It'd make sense, having the Future Foundation actually go after the big corporations that are behind the incidents.

Or, they could just do another killing game, I'm sure they could make it work. It'll be hard to beat DR2's story, but they can do it.

Zakard

I didnt read all 51 pages so maybe somebody already asked this. Can somebody explain to me "The Ultimate Imposter"? Why was he fat? Why did he decide to be Byakuya Togami in the first place? What was his story and what was his relation to the Remnants of Despair? I think I missed something... I havent obtained all Hope Fragments with "him" yet.

LiK

I didnt read all 51 pages so maybe somebody already asked this. Can somebody explain to me "The Ultimate Imposter"? Why was he fat? Why did he decide to be Byakuya Togami in the first place? What was his story and what was his relation to the Remnants of Despair? I think I missed something... I havent obtained all Hope Fragments with "him" yet.

If you max out his Fragments and Friendship, it's all explained. He's a cool character.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
you-re-good-o.gif

Either them or the Cleveland Browns. Hell, anyone can get full of despair just by living in Cleveland. :p

I'm kidding...sorta. HEY I WOULD LOVE AN ECONOMY BASED ON LEBRON JAMES OK!? XD

You can buy a house for the price of a VCR in Cleveland.

Though, at least it's not Detroit.

FluxWaveZ

I've reached the Epilogue of Ch. 6, but regarding the revelation in Ch. 6...damn hard to believe GUNDHAM TANAKA was influenced by Junko! I JUST CAN'T SEE IT!
AND EVEN IT IF IT WERE TRUE, THAT IS SUCH TRUE DESPAIR!

To me, Gundham seems like one of the most susceptible of the group to be influenced by Junko. Probably the loneliest and most socially incapable member of the cast, which might have even influenced him to turn towards animals instead of other people, causing him to become the Ultimate Breeder.

Very good points. Maybe AE is an experiment to see how the fan base reacts to the shift from the trials to a more action based game. It'd make sense, having the Future Foundation actually go after the big corporations that are behind the incidents.

Or, they could just do another killing game, I'm sure they could make it work. It'll be hard to beat DR2's story, but they can do it.

I don't think the fanbase would respond well at all if DR3 was some sort of action game instead of being based on the DR1/DR2 fundamentals. Kind of like the Persona series spin-off games, I think of AE more as a way for the developers to introduce the series to a new genre, while also expanding the universe/story (as well as potentially the fanbase, with newcomers maybe becoming interested in the mainline series through a third-person shooter). If AE does really well, maybe DR could have other spin-offs or studio collaboration titles in the future.

Nyoro SF

In reflection I wonder how "camera angle" was conclusive enough evidence to indict Mikan. She could have just been speaking in a general sense; hardly a conclusive thing.

Tizoc

In reflection I wonder how "camera angle" was conclusive enough evidence to indict Mikan. She could have just been speaking in a general sense; hardly a conclusive thing.

Might have to do with the fact that she mentions various stuff that are relevant then said something that, when you think about it, doesn't fit with the previous statements/complaints.

The only thing, as stupid as it sounds, that I can think off the top of my head of that could potentially top Dangan 1/2 while maintaining the same design is... a time-travel/Days of Future Past plotline, where characters are thrust into the original Izuru Kamakura Killing Game, and basically in an attempt to change the past, fucked with it so much that it became significantly different/worse than what actually happened, and have to fix it within that universe.

I wouldn't mind time travel to fix everything since that means everyone lives in the end, lol

Sure if you want the survivors to basically be Hiro, Toko, Soda, Byakuya and Akane.

I doubt they'll let go of the killing game routine. That and Monokuma is what makes the franchise popular with the fanbase. They can introduce a new exploration or trial mechanic/format, introduce some kind of romance or change the premises of their scenarios to keep things fresh. But like most people, I think the sequel will be the last for this storyline. It's just hard to imagine how they can expand further with most of the plot points resolved. I'd be amazed if they can make a more intriguing and expanded storyline after these two games.

I'll be totally content if they make spinoffs all day and every day after this.

They could do a game based off the hope academy life that still hasn't been really explained.

I can easily see them turn that into the original killing game or something.

While interesting, we already know the outcome of (almost) everyone dying so it won't really have the whole who survives in the end thing.

While I'd imagine DR3 will stay a visual novel, I wouldn't be surprised if they do something else instead of a killing game setup. A lot of the game's appeal is based on the ways it can surprise the player, and I feel like they're soon going to exhaust the ways the killing game can be surprising. There's no way they'll ditch the expendable cast and trials though. Those are a part of the series's identity.

LiK

While I'd imagine DR3 will stay a visual novel, I wouldn't be surprised if they do something else instead of a killing game setup. A lot of the game's appeal is based on the ways it can surprise the player, and I feel like they're soon going to exhaust the ways the killing game can be surprising. There's no way they'll ditch the expendable cast and trials though. Those are a part of the series's identity.

I just hope the trial mini games are less shitty

Huh, there's odd. There seems to be a decent bit of dialog during the action settings so it feels like you'd miss out by skipping it. I can't imagine it being SO bad I'll want to skip it, at least!

Top Bottom