• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Did you guys know Akane was originally supposed to have more of a Nagito/antagoist role in the game?

It's carried over in the names; Hajime (Hinata) means "Beginning" and (Akane) Owari meaning "Ending"

And was Togami the Sayaka of the game? Early marketing presence, early death, lol

Zephyx

Finished the game yesterday so I can join here. :D Yay for me!

I really enjoyed the game and after finishing it, I have some questions..

1. In reality, what is the Despair Disease?
2, Mikan's execution was pretty subpar compared to the others. I didn't get what it meant at all.
3. Are there other endings for the game? I got an open-ended scene at the end where Hajime by himself is looking at FF's boat?
4. When is DR3???

2, Mikan's execution was pretty subpar compared to the others. I didn't get what it meant at all.
3. Are there other endings for the game? I got an open-ended scene at the end where Hajime by himself is looking at FF's boat?
4. When is DR3???

1. Probably just another virus in the program that fucks with the brains of the people inside.
2. Don't think it meant anything. She got sent into space. That's it.
3. Nope.
4. Hopefully soon.

4. When is DR3???

1- Something created by Monokuma that only worked because it wasn't the real world. He can pretty much do whatever the hell he wants with the virtual reality.
2- I saw it as just one extra fanservice scene mixed up with a nurse theme to humiliate her one final time
3-No
4- I wish I knew D:

Thinking about it, Mikan's execution is kinda fucked up in that in her last moments of life, she's being exploited in a manner similar to the abuse that drove her into despair.

i mean i still think it's pretty lame and don't like mikan but still

Zephyx

Thanks for the answers guys. I was thinking the Despair disease is something deeper than what was portrayed in the game. :D

I liked Mikan a lot and I was really having a hard time pushing her to her death in Chapter 3. It was like a part of yourself is eating you away. T_T I agree the execution was pretty lame and I hoped she would have died a much grander death (like Chiaki did). Well, we can't have it all. :) One more question though, why does she keep asking for forgiveness even she remembered the past? That was one thing I really didn't get.

I think the idea is that asking for forgiveness is just who she is. She has no sense of consequence for her actions and simply hopes for everyone to forgive her no matter what she does, as seeking acceptance is all she knows.

PK Gaming

Her execution was intentionally exploitative and degrading rather than gory because it underlined the ultimate truth about her character; Tsumiki is someone who would do anything for attention.

It was a little disappointing, but I get what they were going for.

tumblr_mqr41pD5831qi31mto1_500.png

Nachos

Also, remember that her report card says she hates "big things." Well, there's nothing bigger than something that can be measured in terms of light years and is infinitely-expanding.

There's another "big thing" that could be inferred from that scene, but let's all not get super Hanamura here.

Also,
PHnkVvY.jpg

PK Gaming

The thing about 2 over 1 is their social links really do make the characters more sympathetic with the possible exception of Teruteru (who ruined it but still became sympathetic after his trial). In 1, many characters negate their sympathy by the end of their social links by doing or saying something stupid (like Hagakure asking for Makoto's organs).

On the subject of Souda, the guy is possibly the most important survivor for the game's aftermath if they want to revisit the whole coma plot line. In a way I did see him as the Hagakure of the game, but his talent is actually useful in a destroyed world.

tumblr_modys0Q0rS1rstp9zo1_500.jpg

tumblr_modys0Q0rS1rstp9zo2_500.jpg

tumblr_modys0Q0rS1rstp9zo3_500.jpg

Source

Zephyx

I'll check everything later. At work and can't browse any images.

The attention part seems right though. She might have been sent to space to further humiliate her that no one would care for her if she dies in that place. She will also never get the attention she's seeking there.

I think the idea is that asking for forgiveness is just who she is. She has no sense of consequence for her actions and simply hopes for everyone to forgive her no matter what she does, as seeking acceptance is all she knows.

*nods*

There is also a small quip during the Chapter 3 trial that Nagito will never forgive her but I attributed that to whatever Nagito reasoned out.

I wish they have explored the characters in a side story or something. Would like to know how they turned out this way and how they ended up after the game's ending.

Vylash

I'll check everything later. At work and can't browse any images.

The attention part seems right though. She might have been sent to space to further humiliate her that no one would care for her if she dies in that place. She will also never get the attention she's seeking there.

*nods*

There is also a small quip during the Chapter 3 trial that Nagito will never forgive her but I attributed that to whatever Nagito reasoned out.

I wish they have explored the characters in a side story or something. Would like to know how they turned out this way and how they ended up after the game's ending.

Presumably that's what Danganronpa 3 will be for

Labrys

Not sure if it is or not, just saw the screenshot.

"My throb is chesting in excitement about playing DR2 tomorrow!"

Just finished the game. Phew, what a ride. I've got a few concerns though.

I'm probably way late on this, but has there been any speculation on Nagito's tie to Naegi? Same ultimate title, anagrams of each other's names, same voice actor... there's gotta be something there, right? Right?

So, I kind of felt like the "Ultimate Imposter" was a bit of a letdown. I thought they were going somewhere with that and it might reveal some other crazy plot twist with that, but I guess that would be pretty much exactly what the first game did.

Even if they do, Komaeda won't be long for the world due to his disease.

I must have missed this, what disease are you talking about?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Soo....

1. Since it's revealed that they're all ultimate despairs and Mikan was obviously one. When she got the Remembering Disease, does that mean she remembered that she was an Ultimate Despair and her obsessive love was actually towards Junko?

2. Sonia is so horny. What did she say in Chapter 4 that revealed she's not a virgin?

Soo....

1. Since it's revealed that they're all ultimate despairs and Mikan was obviously one. When she got the Remembering Disease, does that mean she remembered that she was an Ultimate Despair and her obsessive love was actually towards Junko?

2. Sonia is so horny. What did she say in Chapter 4 that revealed she's not a virgin?

1. Consensus seems to say it's Junko.

2. I'm pretty sure that Tanaka says something about doing a ritual and using her since he needs "virgin blood". Then she says something like, "well, then I guess you can't use me."

Soo....

Yes, it was due to her time as an Ultimate Despair. That means that most likely anyone that got those symptoms would act similar and commit a murder.

PK Gaming

Just finished the game. Phew, what a ride. I've got a few concerns though.

I'm probably way late on this, but has there been any speculation on Nagito's tie to Naegi? Same ultimate title, anagrams of each other's names, same voice actor... there's gotta be something there, right? Right?

I must have missed this, what disease are you talking about?

1) They intentionally set up his character up to throw off new players going into the games. The speculation for Nagito's supposed connection to Naegi (at least in japan) was rampant. Theories ranging from Nagito being Makoto, to Nagito being a clone or psychotic fanboy.

2) There aren't any overt connections between the 2 characters, but the creators specifically stated that Nagito is what Makoto would be like if his life had turned out poorly. They basically referred to him as "A Naegi that took a step down the wrong path.”

Fun fact: The fact that his name was an anagram for Makoto was a completely coincidence.

Ultimate Lucky student indeed!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Thanks guys!

To be honest, Ultimate Impostor was kinda half-assed. I mean sure fake Byakuya was the Ultimate Impostor but then...?

1) They intentionally set up his character up to throw off new players going into the games. The speculation for Nagito's supposed connection to Naegi (at least in japan) was rampant. Theories ranging from Nagito being Makoto, to Nagito being a clone or psychotic fanboy.

To be honest, Ultimate Impostor was kinda half-assed. I mean sure fake Byakuya was the Ultimate Impostor but then...?

I mentioned it already about Ult Imposter, but I think PK Gaming's quote there is relevant now that I think about it. Ult Imposter was probably just a red herring. I started thinking about all kinds of crazy theories when I saw that, so it was definitely successful at making me jump to conclusions.

Funnily enough, I went through all of those theories about Nagito but had basically abandoned them as the game went on. For a game so specific about dropping hints, there was a severe lack of them supporting any real connection other than the stuff that was really overt. I just thought maybe someone else had come up with something. But, I like that connection, as weak as it is, that Nagito is what Naegi would be. Although, I wonder what kind of case you could make, since regardless of his connection to Ultimate Despair, he turned out to be batshit crazy anyway (again, don't know if there's something mentioned about his pre-Hope Academy life in his free time dialogue).

Vylash

I mentioned it already about Ult Imposter, but I think PK Gaming's quote there is relevant now that I think about it. Ult Imposter was probably just a red herring. I started thinking about all kinds of crazy theories when I saw that, so it was definitely successful at making me jump to conclusions.

Funnily enough, I went through all of those theories about Nagito but had basically abandoned them as the game went on. For a game so specific about dropping hints, there was a severe lack of them supporting any real connection other than the stuff that was really overt. I just thought maybe someone else had come up with something. But, I like that connection, as weak as it is, that Nagito is what Naegi would be. Although, I wonder what kind of case you could make, since regardless of his connection to Ultimate Despair, he turned out to be batshit crazy anyway (again, don't know if there's something mentioned about his pre-Hope Academy life in his free time dialogue).

idk, they could've done so much more with Ultimate Imposter :/

ULTROS!

I kinda want to see how Ultimate Despair Sonia, Gundham, Hiyoko, Sonia, Mikan, and Ibuki look like.

Nachos

Yeah, I can tell this game's script could've used more work. I remember Jason from Kotaku saying that they become more frequent as they go on, but this game has mechanical issues right out of the gate. If they keep forgetting something as fundamental as using commas to link independent clauses, I'm worried how the rest will fare.

Hopefully that's intentional and was just taken out of context.

There are some issues beyond the occasional typo/grammatical error. Sometimes the letters are partially cut off because they tried to cram 3 lines into 1 text box. Though I only remember it happening twice or so, one being in Island Mode.

Didn't sour me on the experience, though. Errors like that were pretty rare. I also do not remember the chesting throbs at all >_>

MSMrRound

Pretty sure official DR2 OT is now slowly but surely turning into "I'm stuck at this part. What do I dooo!?"

It's just the first trial for goodness sake. At least try experimenting with the answers somewhat.

Pretty sure official DR2 OT is now slowly but surely turning into "I'm stuck at this part. What do I dooo!?"

It's just the first trial for goodness sake. At least try experimenting with the answers somewhat.

lol, it's funny cause that's the reverse from the first game where everyone was complaining it was too easy

Zephyx

lol, it's funny cause that's the reverse from the first game where everyone was complaining it was too easy

Well, it's really harder than the first game so we can't blame them. I remember being stuck in Chapter 2, 3 or 4 where I had to use every truth bullet in my disposal on every argument till I got it right just because my interpretation of the scenario was wrong.

MSMrRound

honestly i only got stuck once, in chapter 3 where you have to prove that Mikan did it

That dang Camera Angle!

Another thing that tripped me up for it was because I'm usually not too sure if I'm meant to memorize their sentences and use it as evidence instead. Orz.

I don't know. I noticed the camara angle part as soon as she said it. I mean, only Hajime saw the video, how does she know about the camara angle?

Zephyx

I don't know. I noticed the camara angle part as soon as she said it. I mean, only Hajime saw the video, how does she know about the camara angle?

I also didn't realize it the first time I read the argument. I was too busy thinking and finding other loopholes on her statements. xD

MSMrRound

Anyone doing that Magical Monomi thing?

Any ideas for best set-up in terms of present gathering?

I currently got a grass skirt equipped, which I believe boost my chances of finding equipment somewhat...is there a staff/headdress that does the same too?

Any recommended stages to go to e.g Secret (hard)->Stage 5 (normal)->(Secret easy)?

Nachos

I hate the chapter 2 trial case

Goddammit. She was supposed to be my waifu this game

Which girl? I was really hoping Mahiru would pull through longer than the second case, because I really liked her design. On the other hand, I legitimately kept forgetting Peko even existed prior to starting the game – I just think her design is really forgettable.

Top Bottom