• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

I felt both Mahiru and Peko were bland characters.

Mahiru's design was nice but her character wasn't.

I only like Peko a little more mostly for the crack fandom that she is Ishimaru's long lost older sister.

Nachos

Whoops, forgot to respond:
There are some issues beyond the occasional typo/grammatical error. Sometimes the letters are partially cut off because they tried to cram 3 lines into 1 text box. Though I only remember it happening twice or so, one being in Island Mode.

Didn't sour me on the experience, though. Errors like that were pretty rare. I also do not remember the chesting throbs at all >_>
Yeah, I'm sure it'll be fine for the most part, but it could've used more time in the oven. It's nowhere near as bad as Mega Man Battle Network 4, but as a visual novel, any mechanical or tech issues with how the writing's presented is only going to be more noticeable. Maybe it's because I'm already familiar with the story, but I think I can already see areas where the English script might have been handled by different people.

I felt both Mahiru and Peko were bland characters.

Mahiru's design was nice but her character wasn't.

I only like Peko a little more mostly for the crack fandom that she is Ishimaru's long lost older sister.
Yeah, I completely agree, which is why I kinda wish Mahiru had more screentime. I actually think Peko was the better character, but at the same time, she didn't need any more development – she was perfect, as-was (unlike Taka or other characters from 1).

What's this theory, though?

PK Gaming

You guys aren't into Peko?

Darn. I love Peko. I'm all about her, she's wonderful. She's absolutely a mild character, but several aspects of her character (such as her relationship with Kuzu and her fucked up upbringing) make her a compelling character. Chapter 2 actually made me feel sympathy for her, even though she friggin killed Mahiru in cold blood.

Plus her design is goddamn amazing. Easily the best in the game, imo.

Nachos

Darn. I love Peko. I'm all about her, she's wonderful. She's absolutely a mild character, but several aspects of her character (such as her relationship with Kuzu and her fucked up upbringing) make her a compelling character. Chapter 2 actually made me feel sympathy for her, even though she friggin killed Mahiru in cold blood.

100% agree, except for the bolded. That's probably me just vastly preferring designs that aren't predominately black/greenish-black, though. Mahiru had my favorite design, because it was nice and colorful without being as overly-garish as Soda's was.

After getting Ultimate Imposter's Island Mode ending, I do wish they did more with him/her. Always been a fan of identity crisis characters like that, even if there already was a similar one in another recent visual novel.

Vylash

Yeah, I like Peko especially after completing her hope fragment

PK Gaming

100% agree, except for the bolded. That's probably me just vastly preferring designs that aren't predominately black/greenish-black, though. Mahiru had my favorite design, because it was nice and colorful without being as overly-garish as Soda's was.

Maybe i'm just biased

I mean she looks looks just like Yu Narukami like is this for real I am super all about that and she's really sexy and the glasses are cool

Katanas are fucking cool

kewlmyc

I like Peko as well. That's some dedication on her behalf.

Only characters I'd say I disliked were Hiyoko, Soda, and kinda Mahiru. Hiyoko and Soda are obvious, but with Mahiru her annoyance of men got annoying after a while. And unlike Teruteru being creepy or Mikan faking being a ditzy shy girl, Mahiru's annoyance of men wasn't played for laughs or a plot point. It was just an annoying character trait that went nowhere. Maybe her hope shard events will make me like her more.

Pics_nao

Easily one of my favorite characters along with Chiaki. So goddamn pissed that she was the one behind the murder. Was hoping that she'd last the entire game

Vylash

Mikan wasn't faking though, that was her real personality before Junko got to her

Honestly I liked everyone except for Teruteru, Soda, and Hiyoko, I also didn't like Fuyuhiko before he stopped being a dick

Nachos

Mikan wasn't faking though, that was her real personality before Junko got to her

Honestly I liked everyone except for Teruteru, Soda, and Hiyoko, I also didn't like Fuyuhiko before he stopped being a dick

Yeah, Fuyuhiko's one of my favorite characters, but that's entirely because he had a nice character arc. His shtick prior to case 2 did nothing for me, though.

Yeah, I completely agree, which is why I kinda wish Mahiru had more screentime. I actually think Peko was the better character, but at the same time, she didn't need any more development – she was perfect, as-was (unlike Taka or other characters from 1).

What's this theory, though?

It's pretty much crack cause its from tumblr.

But, both have red eyes, Ishimaru does like to practice kendo that's never really explained and Peko was given away from her family when she was young.

While it could have been some random family, it can easily fit with Ishimaru's family background of being poor and having to give away their eldest daughter or whatnot.

They also appeared in an official art together, though that could easily just be because they both wield/have swords?

Dunno, its shaky, but its also crack enough that I'll believe it, lol

Nachos

Maybe i'm just biased

I mean she looks looks just like Yu Narukami like is this for real I am super all about that and she's really sexy and the glasses are cool

Katanas are fucking cool

She's like the human equivalent of a katana, but katanas do nothing for me. They're folded over 1,000 times to be lame.

It's pretty much crack cause its from tumblr.

But, both have red eyes, Ishimaru does like to practice kendo that's never really explained and Peko was given away from her family when she was young.

While it could have been some random family, it can easily fit with Ishimaru's family background of being poor and having to give away their eldest daughter or whatnot.

They also appeared in an official art together, though that could easily just be because they both wield/have swords?

Dunno, its shaky, but its also crack enough that I'll believe it, lol

Yeah, it's shaky, but I want to believe.

Mohasus

Shit, I just started the game and spoiled something big.

I thought Nagito Komaeda was the protagonist from the first game (my friend told me Togami isn't the only student from the first game in this one), and then on the wiki they spoiled pretty fast that he is the Ultimate Despair.

Shit, I just started the game and spoiled something big.

I thought Nagito Komaeda was the protagonist from the first game (my friend told me Togami isn't the only student from the first game in this one), and then on the wiki they spoiled pretty fast that he is the Ultimate Despair.

You are in the wrong thread, dude. Leave ASAP!

MSMrRound

4rIzfVV.jpg

xTeb4Zm.jpg

Comparing dating to difficulty setting. Only Chiaki.
YDhcpmm.jpg

MliaMum.jpg

Best girl deserves to be maxed last
KzZLUeG.jpg

SSp5A6v.jpg

I thought Monomi was pretty useless at first, that's why I really admired when she tried in vain to protect Chiaki. Of course, the later "TASTE THE RAINBOW MOTHERFUCKER!" thing she did was absolute coolness.
7aDbaAN.jpg

NMug2nH.jpg

Honestly choked up when she appeared in front of Hinata again. That double "sore wa chigau zo!" though.

In fact, Sonia was my initial pick (before I played the game), but Chiaki just sorts of grow on you.

No bias. Absolutely none at all.

Lusankya

Chiaki is really awesome. She kinda has the same role as Kirigiri in the first game, but does it in a much nicer and subtle way.
After chapter 5 she completely cemented her first place in my overall Danganronpa character ranking and I really hope we'll see her again.

Zephyx

Chiaki is really awesome. She kinda has the same role as Kirigiri in the first game, but does it in a much nicer and subtle way.
After chapter 5 she completely cemented her first place in my overall Danganronpa character ranking and I really hope we'll see her again.

I didn't like Chiaki as much as you guys did. I felt more despair when Ibuki died and when I learned that my other favorite character killed her. Ibuki's English VA was just full of emotion that you won't find in other characters in the game. Mikan, although not as well received by most of the players, grew on me right the start. I really felt sorry for her especially when I knew more about her during her Free Time events..

Lusankya

I didn't like Chiaki as much as you guys did. I felt more despair when Ibuki died and when I learned that my other favorite character killed her. Ibuki's English VA was just full of emotion that you won't find in other characters in the game. Mikan, although not as well received by most of the players, grew on me right the start. I really felt sorry for her especially when I knew more about her during her Free Time events..

It's not like I don't like the other characters. ;) Ibuki is my number two character overall and seeing her death made me feel really bad. She is just such a nice and happy girl and nearly all the time her jokes make me laugh. I also really like Mikan as well, even despite the fact she killed Ibuki.

i dunno if i should feel bad but i never found chiaki to be that interesting on her own

i like what she contributes to chihiro/alter ego's character, though

PK Gaming

In fact, Sonia was my initial pick (before I played the game), but Chiaki just sorts of grow on you.

No bias. Absolutely none at all.

100% Truth

Chiaki wasn't even my favorite character going into SDR2, but by the 5th chapter it's "ok, I really like this character" and then by the 6th it's like

Fuck

Man, I just really like Chiaki. I mean, I'm serious Chiaki is like one of my favorite characters, ever.

Shoutouts to Ibuki for also being amazing ♥

kewlmyc

100% Truth

Chiaki wasn't even my favorite character going into SDR2, but by the 5th chapter it's "ok, I really like this character" and then by the 6th it's like

Fuck

Man, I just really like Chiaki. I mean, I'm serious Chiaki is like one of my favorite characters, ever.

Shoutouts to Ibuki for also being amazing ♥

Something about her deadpan-ness yet awareness in trials makes her a pretty fun character.

It's funny how most of the characters work in this game. The ones I thought I would hate the most after the first trial (Komaeda and Kuzuryu) ended becoming my favorite characters, the former being one of my favorite characters in fiction, period.

pariah164

... Holy fucking shit. This game.

That was such a bittersweet ending; I was half expecting Hajime/Izuru to be standing there with long hair, but...

Holy fuck, this game. Loved it. It'll take something huge to knock this out of my GOTY spot. Now to figure out how to unlock the special CGs and play Island mode...

OceanBlue

Lol, for a while until the end of the trial during the 5th chapter, I had assumed that I was near the end of the game and I was kinda surprised at how straightforward this game was playing itself. Then Nanami took Hajime to the restaurant and I knew I was in for some shit.

Great game. I don't remember liking the characters from the first game as much as I like most of the characters in this game. I feel like the characters in this game were a lot less spontaneously quirky than the ones in the first, but that's fine since I ended up liking the characters in this game more than the ones in the first. I like boring characters like Mahiru though lol.

I'm not sure how I feel about the resolution to the last chapter yet, but the buildup was amazing. Despite the lack of foreshadowing, I'm still really happy Nanami appeared in the end to play a major role in resolving Hajime's indecision just because I really like her character :D. I love how the game messed with the screen and the text. The plots for each chapter were great as well. Lol, the 5th chapter kinda reminded me of Rise From the Ashes to be honest. Well, time to play Island Mode.

Just beat the game. Loved it, but I couldn't get over how the chapter 5 trial seemed like a plot hole.

Did they just throw out the whole mastermind/accomplice rule with that trial? I mean, it seemed pretty obvious that Nagito was the mastermind of the murder. He planned it and set everything in motion. Chiaki actually caused the death, but that was just acting under the mastermind's scheme.

DR1 spoilers (don't know if they have to be marked, so I'll do it anyway)
Just like in DR1, even though Hifumi was the one who actually killed Taka, Celeste was responsible for it.

PK Gaming

Just beat the game. Loved it, but I couldn't get over how the chapter 5 trial seemed like a plot hole.

Did they just throw out the whole mastermind/accomplice rule with that trial? I mean, it seemed pretty obvious that Nagito was the mastermind of the murder. He planned it and set everything in motion. Chiaki actually caused the death, but that was just acting under the mastermind's scheme.

DR1 spoilers (don't know if they have to be marked, so I'll do it anyway)
Just like in DR1, even though Hifumi was the one who actually killed Taka, Celeste was responsible for it.

The mastermind/accomplice rule only comes into play when a mastermind + killer get someone else killed, but Chiaki killed Nagito. She wasn't cooperating with anyone, and ultimately she ended his life.

Lusankya

The mastermind/accomplice rule only comes into play when a mastermind + killer get someone else killed, but Chiaki killed Nagito. She wasn't cooperating with anyone, and ultimately she ended his life.

Yep, and in the first chapter Monokuma even tells the group that accidents also count as murder for this game.

Noi

Just beat it. I think I may have set my expectations way too high due to impressions since the beginning of the year, but I still liked the game a lot (except for the "Improved" Hangman's Gambit which kept me from getting more than a B in every single trial). I got plot hijack'd from doing Byakuya in Chapter 1, Peko in Chapter 2, ALMOST missed Mikan in Chapter 3 and was really mad that I couldn't do any progress on Akane in Chapter 4.

Honestly, I'm just glad that I can finally browse the internet in peace again.
KuGsj.gif

Mdesilva

Oh hi guys I finally beat the game for review yesterday so now I can look at this thread and

Hinata_%2815%29.png

This was my reaction, no joke. It just took everything and flipped it. Like, woah...

That's the one spoiler that would completely ruin SDR2. I seriously pity the people who were spoiled about that facet of the game.

…oh.

To be honest, it really didn't ruin it for me at all, though it definitely would have been a nice surprise if I hadn't known ahead of time :p

kewlmyc

Oh hi guys I finally beat the game for review yesterday so now I can look at this thread and

…oh.

To be honest, it really didn't ruin it for me at all, though it definitely would have been a nice surprise if I hadn't known ahead of time :p

Wait you knew about the biggest twist in the game beforehand?

Mdesilva

Wait you knew about the biggest twist in the game beforehand?
Yeah, I looked at the Wikipedia page after I beat the first game, thinking I could just read about the premise, but that twist is written pretty close to the top of the page, so I couldn't avoid it. Not that it's not my fault, but yeah.

Regardless, I will say that the way they reveal it is pretty lame. It was just through Logic Dive, right? I feel like for something that big they could have made the reveal even more powerful, I dunno. They also give you the hints to it during the investigation. Obviously me knowing it beforehand would mean I'm not nearly as affected by it, but it seems like they coulda done it in a cooler way, I dunno. Like, there have been a couple character deaths I've known about beforehand in this game and the last, but the way they're presented still makes me feel them fully.

Top Bottom