• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

That's how I felt about the fifth trial. My favorite character... "I want you to guess who the traitor is."

"No! I refuse! It's me! It's one of the dead characters! Anyone but you!"

And that execution... I nearly threw my Vita against a wall when that final block fell. Between the initial escape from the gunship and the pause of that final block, never has a game so perfectly given me hope and then so thoroughly crushed it. I think they intentionally evokes memories of Naegi's execution in the first game where the block didn't crush him because of Alter Ego's interference, just for that extra dash of despair.

It's especially cruel that it's the one trial in the whole series that forces you to do the actual vote at the end. I blew an entire life bar voting for Nagito in protest of how bullshit the whole thing was (becuase FUCK YOU NO LEGAL SYSTEM IN THE WORLD WOULD EVEN TAKE CHIAKI TO TRIAL MUCH LESS FIND HER GUILTY IN THAT CASE.)

EDIT: Also, my first legit guess actually was Hajime. Then I tried Chiaki solely because it would be the most HOLY SHIT option.

That's how I felt about the fifth trial. My favorite character... "I want you to guess who the traitor is."

"No! I refuse! It's me! It's one of the dead characters! Anyone but you!"

And that execution... I nearly threw my Vita against a wall when that final block fell. Between the initial escape from the gunship and the pause of that final block, never has a game so perfectly given me hope and then so thoroughly crushed it. I think they intentionally evokes memories of Naegi's execution in the first game where the block didn't crush him because of Alter Ego's interference, just for that extra dash of despair.

Yeah, I think there's a sense of dissonance with most of the executions for several reasons. You could say many are brutal, but Chiaki's is where that feeling of discomfort and anxiety pops up in the same way it does for the characters when they watch any of their other friends die. The combination of it not being her fault, the confusion from her suddenly being the traitor, the knowledge you have of how the first game plays out; it all amplifies those negative feelings which makes the partially humorous tone present in all executions all the more effective.

Just extremely well done.

it definitely did, though me and makoto dont agree here, no forgiveness for sayaka from me
Yeah, I think Makoto is being his usual hopeful self thinking Sayaka'a message was an out to save him rather than just revenge on Leon. But that is why I like Makoto, he tries his hardest to see the good in people.

Past

Why do people hate Junko? Seems like a lot of people weren't happy about her return. I actually liked her, I thought she was a pretty unique character and wasn't your typical antagonist.

FluxWaveZ

Why do people hate Junko? Seems like a lot of people weren't happy about her return. I actually liked her, I thought she was pretty unique character and wasn't your typical antagonist.

Because it was Junko... again. She had her time to shine in the first game and we already learned what she was about in DR1. Discovering that the mastermind behind everything in the sequel was the same person as the previous game was a weaker twist than a lot of them in DR2, when something like that should probably be more impactful than it turned out to be.

For me, Nagito did a better job of being an antagonist this time than Junko did. If she returns in a DR3 as the mastermind just because she's unique or an atypical antagonist, it would be a major failure on the part of the writers. I'd like to think they can develop better big bads than relying on the same one.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Why do people hate Junko? Seems like a lot of people weren't happy about her return. I actually liked her, I thought she was a pretty unique character and wasn't your typical antagonist.

I don't dislike Junko, beyond the whole unrealistic "a teenage fashionista brought about the end of the world" and the generic "DESPAAAAAAIR fetish" motive, but I think I'd be amazingly dumb for her to even be in the third (and probably final of this story arc) game seeing as how she died in the first.

redhood56

Banned
I think Junko is done(hopefully). Makoto and others still have the rest of ultimate despair to deal with. But I wonder what th third game is going to be. They can't do the same thing again. It was already hinted at that the next one is the last one(Byakuya said "fights along you guys a little while longer").

Vylash

Because people are awful

5%28260%29.png

Rubedo

I don't think people hate her. Most people love her. It's just that a lot of us hope she isn't the endgame mastermind in the third one. It'd just get old.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
FluxWaveZ summed it up best. It's less about hating her as a character & more about hating the fact that "Oh, she's the mastermind again?" when it was a much better twist in the first game, ESPECIALLY considering what happened to her at the end, i.e. she should technically be dead from going through every execution in a row.

Basically, the twist that she would (somehow) be the mastermind a THIRD time just wouldn't have the same impact. We just don't want her to be overused when in DR1, it was executed brilliantly, where as in DR2, it kind of feels like a cheat to some people seeing as, again, most of us figured she died in DR1 & it was perhaps one of her followers or something that was behind the whole thing.

Or hell, imagine if it was one of the original survivors who turned into an Ultimate Despair after escaping & wanted to follow in Junko's footsteps. That would've been interesting to see.

Sorian

Banned
Or hell, imagine if it was one of the original survivors who turned into an Ultimate Despair after escaping & wanted to follow in Junko's footsteps. That would've been interesting to see.

I always thought (and who knows what the future will bring) that Hina becoming an ultimate despair would be pretty easy to write while still being a super shock to most.

Gazoinks

FluxWaveZ summed it up best. It's less about hating her as a character & more about hating the fact that "Oh, she's the mastermind again?" when it was a much better twist in the first game, ESPECIALLY considering what happened to her at the end, i.e. she should technically be dead from going through every execution in a row.

Basically, the twist that she would (somehow) be the mastermind a THIRD time just wouldn't have the same impact. We just don't want her to be overused when in DR1, it was executed brilliantly, where as in DR2, it kind of feels like a cheat to some people seeing as, again, most of us figured she died in DR1 & it was perhaps one of her followers or something that was behind the whole thing.

I was really hoping DR2 would reveal that Ultimate Despair goes beyond Junko and is actually some kind of malignant organization, but nope. Evil high school fashionista still. That was probably my biggest disappointment about the game, really.

Should be Hiro so he'll finally be useful cause it would be cool?

It was Makoto the whole time

RetroMG

I actually really like Junko, and I was even OK with her showing up a second time. But if we go for three, that's too much.

Labrys

One of the trial intermissions iirc.
For those not in the know, the website Something Awful filters the word "fuck" to "gently caress."

It was during the trial, I remember Monokuma's like "Then I will gently caress you" and Monomi's like "*swoon*"

AwShucks

Credits are rolling. Did not expect Junko but it was a pleasant surprise and offset some of the disappointment from the virtual world aspect. I think I enjoyed her presence here now than I did in the first game.

That said I called Hajime being the bad guy from the start.

And in my mind Nagito is Makoto gone insane. Even if it no longer makes sense.

Other than being a bit too long my only other complaint is Kazuichi surviving.

Zareka

And in my mind Nagito is Makoto gone insane. Even if it no longer makes sense.

That's what I was hoping Nagito was. I had built this idea in my head that something had gone very wrong between DR1 & 2, and the idea of a deranged, broken Makoto was incredibly interesting to me.

Even though that turned out to be wrong, Nagito still turned in to an awesome character. Definitely my favourite of the cast.

And hell, even if he isn't Makoto, he still is. The voice. The quotes. The hoodie. Even the anagramed name!

Jintor

The only thing that could have depressed me more about Case Four was if Nekomaru and Gundham had actually both agreed to arrange the whole thing beforehand. Like, to sacrifice BOTH of themselves to let the others out of the funhouse. That would have been truly despair (and hope) inducing.

The only thing that could have depressed me more about Case Four was if Nekomaru and Gundham had actually both agreed to arrange the whole thing beforehand. Like, to sacrifice BOTH of themselves to let the others out of the funhouse. That would have been truly despair (and hope) inducing.
Well, isn't that kinda what happened? It wasn't literally "planned" but they were conscious about what they were doing.

Jintor

Well we only got Gundham's interpretation of it, which I felt was a little wonky. If Nekomaru was more explicit about them both essentially sacrificing themselves for the group then I think that case could have been elevated even further.

Well we only got Gundham's interpretation of it, which I felt was a little wonky. If Nekomaru was more explicit about them both essentially sacrificing themselves for the group then I think that case could have been elevated even further.

Well, Nekomaru very heavily implies that he knows that Gundam wants one of them to be sacrificed so that everyone else can escape, which is why he said he'll "kill [Gundam] with all his might" and spoke in a jovial tone rather than turning tail and fleeing. The moment they engaged each other in combat, they both knew that neither one was going to make it out alive.

Rubedo

Well, Nekomaru very heavily implies that he knows that Gundam wants one of them to be sacrificed so that everyone else can escape, which is why he said he'll "kill [Gundam] with all his might" and spoke in a jovial tone rather than turning tail and fleeing. The moment they engaged each other in combat, they both knew that neither one was going to make it out alive.

Yep. I wonder what Gundham would do if the others began to become convinced it was someone other than him.

Sorian

Banned
Yep. I wonder what Gundham would do if the others began to become convinced it was someone other than him.

I like to think he would have stuck to his guns because the moral of his story is always fighting to live. He didn't want the others to give up on life and I doubt he wished too either.

I'm honestly not sure. As much as I'd like to think that he'd speak up and get them back on track (which he sort of did at one point by pushing Hajime to figure out how the elevator worked), part of me also says that he'd view their inability to discern the killer as failing to learn the lesson he was trying to teach them and seize survival for himself. He gives up pretty darn quickly after being accused anyways, so perhaps he never intended to get away with it at all.

Jintor

I think it's partially his way of testing the group.

He's still a badass though - he got through the Final Dead Room, after all. @_@

...wait, did he also see the file Nagito saw?

Sorian

Banned
I think it's partially his way of testing the group.

...wait, did he also see the file Nagito saw?

Nagito saw an expanded file because he played the final dead room on "hard" mode (5 bullets in the gun). I think its assumed that Gundam did it like a normal person and only had one bullet in there.

Gundham was just an asshole.

No, shut up. The Tanaka Empire was the best part of the game by far.

Yeah, plus he fought a robot and won and also came up with an unsolveable murder scenario in the same chapter. He's a lot stronger/smarter than he lets on.

I think its assumed that Gundam did it like a normal person and only had one bullet in there.

This is correct. He mentions that he only did the test with one bullet during the conversation about the Final Dead Room after the trial.

Top Bottom