• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Yeah that line had me rolling. Also when Sonia realized the cameras were showing things to the Future Foundation and she goes:

Sonia: "I did...a lot of embarrassing things in front of those cameras!"

Byakuya: "You...sure did."

Sonia: "Now I'll never be Queen! Please forget what you saw!"

LOL

Sonia had some fantastic dialogue at times, the best one still has to be her C5 outburst - it just came out of nowhere.
LISkT4U.jpg

Favourite line of the game still belongs to Chiaki though (again, thanks to Sonia).

so, ive finished compiling my thoughts on the game. Overall I liked DR1 better

Liked:
New Trial Elements (even hangmans gambit after I stopped trying to use touch controls)
Jabberwock Island
Lots of hidden Bonuses
Remnants of Despair twist
Izuru Kamakura twist
Chiaki Traitor twist
Nagitos obscene attempt to murder everyone in a fit of hope
and I mentioned once before, but fuyuhiko and peko at the end of chapter 2, legit shook me
Kyoko's mature look after the final trial
Character growth, I managed to like certain characters I originally hated (Fuyuhiko) and was warming up to others by the end (Sonia). Though I dont think any were quite as good as Kyoko or hina's growth from DR1

Disliked:
Length of some of the trials, especially the first one. They just dragged on after everything was obvious
Chiaki AI twist (uggggh these are annoying)
Virtual World Twist (this is the new it was all just a dream, and cheapened so much of the story)
Characters overall, but especially the survivors. I warmed up to sonia by the end of the game when she started getting entertainingly angry, and fuyuhiko was a favorite of mine after chapter 2, but akane and soda were awful. Out of all the other characters I only really liked Ibuki, who got offed way too early and in a weak way, and Chiaki, who had a shitty AI twist.

Jintor

Case five was maybe my favourite case ever in any of these crazy style murder mystery games. Absolutely inspired. A pity they kind of walk you through it though.

Zareka

Yesssssssssssssssss

I'd knew you'd come around :)

And I'm glad I did. I would have been missing out had I decided to skip on DR2.

Did anyone else feel like chapters were really long in this?
I think chapters took me like 6-7 hours. I did run most everywhere though, so that added a bit, but not like an hour+ per chapter.

Chapter 6 in Trigger Happy Havoc e felt really long compared to the rest, but I think it (Chapter 6 of Goodbye Despair) was shorter than the others in this game.
Oh yeah, they seemed longer definitely. I only remember DR1 cases being an hour-an hour and a half long, but I'm pretty sure every single trial in 2 took me at least 2 hours, mostly ~3.

I want to clarify one thing with you all: was Mikan really bullied and hated before she entered Hope's Peak? Was she genuinely upset about it (hence her outburst in Ch 3)? This determines one of my favourite scenes or not.

Vylash

I want to clarify one thing with you all: was Mikan really bullied and hated before she entered Hope's Peak? Was she genuinely upset about it (hence her outburst in Ch 3)? This determines one of my favourite scenes or not.

Presumably so, which is how Junko turned her into one of the Remnants Of Despair

Zareka

Presumably so, which is how Junko turned her into one of the Remnants Of Despair

Alright, thanks. In that case:

Chapter 3 murdered me. My two favourite characters at this point were Ibuki and Mikan, and once Ibuki showed up dead I was upset. But it was fine; Mikan was still alive!

...then the class trial happened. The further in I got, the more I started to realise who I was gonna have to sentence. When it came down to choosing someone, Hajime's reaction and expression were exactly what I was feeling. God damn it. But once I chose her, that'd be it over!

...wrong. The part that followed is what really tore me apart. When Mikan just broke down and started screaming that she just didn't want people to hate her any more. I felt terrible. Refuting her arguments was a kick in the damn gut.

Definitely one of my favourite scenes in the game. If a game can predict and/or have me replicate the feelings of the main character, it's a special one in my book.

Jintor

In many ways Mikan is the most interesting character to me, partially because of her social link (specifically her really weird motivation for becoming a nurse in the first place). Fuyuhiko is definitely my favourite though, what a turnabout on that guy.

Who the hell does his va voice though? So familiar!

In many ways Mikan is the most interesting character to me, partially because of her social link (specifically her really weird motivation for becoming a nurse in the first place). Fuyuhiko is definitely my favourite though, what a turnabout on that guy.

Derek Stephen Prince of many things fame

Zareka

Mikan's execution sucked :(

Can someone explain what happened to me? I didn't quite catch all of it first time round. When I watch it again it looks like she's...having an orgasm? Uh...
Do you mean his English voice? If so, I'm pretty sure it's Derek Stephen Prince. He sounds an awful lot like Uryu from Bleach's dub, if I'm remembering him correctly.

redhood56

Banned
I just finished it. I didn't like the whole virtual world thing. I liked mostly everything besides that. I didn't like the last chapter, it was just so batshit insane that it overdone it. What are they going to do for the 3rd(and presumably last main entry) game. They can't do the same thing again, so maybe they are going to do a dangan ronpa zero type game?

Jintor

Man, I hate translated light novel wording. It always comes out super awkward and I don't know why. I mean, DR translators are clearly capable of some great stuff. Why does IF read so weirdly?

RetroMG

So I have to go back at some point to get the missing Monokumas. Once I find them, do I have to finish the trial for them to count? Because I'm going to have to completely replay the game if that's the case.

Zareka

Man, I hate translated light novel wording. It always comes out super awkward and I don't know why. I mean, DR translators are clearly capable of some great stuff. Why does IF read so weirdly?

I actually thought a lot of the main game had some awkward wording and writing throughout it. It's one of the main problems I had with both games. Not looking forward to the light novel if it's even more of that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So I have to go back at some point to get the missing Monokumas. Once I find them, do I have to finish the trial for them to count? Because I'm going to have to completely replay the game if that's the case.
No, just make sure you save the game after you find them, then to be safe, load the save if you want to go back to the main menu.

Definitely one of my favourite scenes in the game. If a game can predict and/or have me replicate the feelings of the main character, it's a special one in my book.

That's how I felt about the fifth trial. My favorite character... "I want you to guess who the traitor is."

"No! I refuse! It's me! It's one of the dead characters! Anyone but you!"

And that execution... I nearly threw my Vita against a wall when that final block fell. Between the initial escape from the gunship and the pause of that final block, never has a game so perfectly given me hope and then so thoroughly crushed it. I think they intentionally evokes memories of Naegi's execution in the first game where the block didn't crush him because of Alter Ego's interference, just for that extra dash of despair.

OceanBlue

Case five was maybe my favourite case ever in any of these crazy style murder mystery games. Absolutely inspired. A pity they kind of walk you through it though.

Yeah, that mirrors how I feel as well. It could have been like the final Phoenix Wright trials of each game, where he's generally alone and has to rise up to the task by himself. That said, it's true that chapter five wasn't the last chapter and that there's a good reason for the game to walk you through it. It helps show Chiaki's desire to keep everyone alive. If Hajime had been the one to press ahead instead of Chiaki, her sacrifice would have had less impact IMO. It's just a shame that chapter six is so crazy that you don't really get the chance to make chapter-deciding deductions as Hajime. You just show off your shounen spirit instead lol.

Vylash

That's how I felt about the fifth trial. My favorite character... "I want you to guess who the traitor is."

And that execution... I nearly threw my Vita against a wall when that final block fell. Between the initial escape from the gunship and the pause of that final block, never has a game so perfectly given me hope and then so thoroughly crushed it. I think they intentionally evokes memories of Naegi's execution in the first game where the block didn't crush him because of Alter Ego's interference, just for that extra dash of despair.

oh yeah, they totally tried to give it the tone of Makoto's failed execution which just made it that much more painful

I just realized that the password was that girl wrote leon in the first game. Cool.
Yeah. I was drawing a blank for a time at what the numbers meant and then it hit me during the class trial that it was Sayaka's out for Makoto. It's a really nice touch. Guess it meant a lot to him.

Vylash

Yeah. I was drawing a blank for a time at what the numbers meant and then it hit me during the class trial that it was Sayaka's out for Makoto. It's a really nice touch. Guess it meant a lot to him.

...so THAT'S what it was from, god that was driving me crazy because i knew it was in the first game somehow

it definitely did, though me and makoto dont agree here, no forgiveness for sayaka from me

Zareka

I really wish this could have affected me, but I did not like Chiaki at all.

I can see what they did with it, though.

DaBoss

I swear one of the moments in the Ch 6 trial requires you to prove that the fake Makoto is fake by using the "meaning of "11037".

Zareka

I swear one of the moments in the Ch 6 trial requires you to prove that the fake Makoto is fake by using the "meaning of "11037".

It does, but they never actually say what the meaning is. Hajime just asks Makoto what it means, and Makoto can't answer.

I think you summed that up perfectly. I knew what the game wanted me to select, but I couldn't do it - ended up selecting everyone but Chiaki out of desperation and then selecting all the wrong dialogue options hoping to find an alternate path. And then the waving goodbye scene that breaks your heart, followed by the execution where the game gives you a sliver of hope back before crushing it (literally). I hate and love that chapter in equal measure.

I think you summed that up perfectly. I knew what the game wanted me to select, but I couldn't do it - ended up selecting everyone but Chiaki out of desperation and then selecting all the wrong dialogue options hoping to find an alternate path. And then the waving goodbye scene that breaks your heart, followed by the execution where the game gives you a sliver of hope back before crushing it (literally). I hate and love that chapter in equal measure.
I have a similar feeling to that chapter, but then they reveal she was an AI, and it just killed the whole character for me

dani_dc

All Hail Lord Junko

DvKGVVD.png

I figured it was Chiaki on the basis that this game is about Despair and that people seemed to despair a lot about Chapter 5... and Chiaki is clearly the best character.

Well, I just got the platinum trophy - that was one hell of a ride in the end. I am so conflicted on which I'd say was the better of the two Danganronpa games though, part of me wants to give it to DR2 because of the fantastic characters, but something about the tone and setting of the original just felt right. I really hope now that DR2 gets an anime adaptation as well.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Logic Dive is terrible and it should feel bad for existing

The game really suffers when it thinks it should be more of a "game". Improved Hangman is the most obvious sign of this where they clearly thought they needed to add a bunch of rules and conditions to something that wasn't really fun in the first game, but not the annoyance it became in this one.

Zareka

Logic Dive is terrible and it should feel bad for existing
I loved Logic Dive.

I also liked the new Hangman's Gambit (except for in the last few chapters, that was WAY too much).
The game really suffers when it thinks it should be more of a "game".
I felt like this about DR1...but that's mainly because any part that was a game sucked. I appreciate that Spike tried to add some actual game into the second one, but their success is pretty subjective.

Top Bottom