• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Rubedo

Case 4 was the best as it cemented Sonia x Gundham and doomed Soda.

There was a very noticeable shift in the way Sonia treats Kazuichi in this chapter. She went from being somewhat naive in Chapter 2 and letting him go along with his pervy plans by giving him the benefit of the doubt and being friendly despite tye fact that it was supposed to be a girls-only event. By Chapter 4 almost everything she says to or about him is a big "Fuck You".

He kinda deserved it though with the levels of creepy he was producing. It seems she caught on.

PK Gaming

There was a very noticeable shift in the way Sonia treats Kazuichi in this chapter. She went from being somewhat naive in Chapter 2 and letting him go along with his pervy plans by giving him the benefit of the doubt and being friendly despite tye fact that it was supposed to be a girls-only event. By Chapter 4 almost everything she says to or about him is a big "Fuck You".

He kinda deserved it though with the levels of creepy he was producing. It seems she caught on.

Word

It would have been obnoxious if she played dumb the entire game

He actually became one of my favorites and I think he died too soon. Would have liked to see more of his relationship with Sonia

It's too bad their relationship basically developed off screen.

It was pretty nice to see them from barely knowing each other to suddenly be friends and interested in each other in the class trial.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Do you guys think irl before becoming Despairs Sonia and Gundam actually hooked up, giving Soda dat despair.

dan2026

Am I right in thinking that Gundam only resorted to murder because he was afraid his hamsters would starve inside the funhouse?

Its never outright stated, but it does seem to be implied.

FluxWaveZ

Am I right in thinking that Gundam only resorted to murder because he was afraid his hamsters would starve inside the funhouse?

No, he explicitly states his hamsters have food to eat in the funhouse when Sonia worries about them when they first get there.

He resorted to murder because of everything he stated at the end of the trial. He values life and giving up on it goes against everything he stands for.

Wynnebeck

Banned

No, he even states that the seeds from the flowers in the garden on the 3rd floor of Strawberry House would be enough for them to eat. I think Nekomaru's robot form was almost an affront to Gundham's sense of biological life and caused him to want to kill Nekomaru.

dan2026

No, he explicitly states his hamsters have food to eat in the funhouse when Sonia worries about them when they first get there.

He resorted to murder because of everything he stated at the end of the trial. He values life and giving up on it goes against everything he stands for.

Hmm maybe. There were a few lines mixed in there that made me feel otherwise.
Although without going through again I can't pick them out.

To be honest now I have completed the game I feel it is kind of weaker than the first one.
The trials were stronger in the first one and so was the story.
And there wasn't any boring crap like 'logic dive'.
The twist was better too. Its all a 'virtual world' was kind of lame.

I think Nekomaru's robot form was almost an affront to Gundham's sense of biological life and caused him to want to kill Nekomaru.

I'm pretty sure that Gundam's spiel about this was just part of his demon lord schtick, and he only targeted Nekomaru because A) he was a worthy opponent who would understand what had to be done, and B) his Good Night Button and internal alarm were the only reason Gundam's plan could work.

I get the feeling that there was no bad blood between the two, and that's why they were both so compliant with the blood pact they made.

FluxWaveZ

I think Nekomaru's robot form was almost an affront to Gundham's sense of biological life and caused him to want to kill Nekomaru.

I didn't get this feeling, either. If anything, I think the fact that Gundham decided to face Nekomaru directly as an equal is an indication that he respected him.

Now I understand the whole Mikan thing back in Chapter 3. So when she remembered her memories, she remembered being an Ultimate Despair (even Nagito mentions it, too) and that's why she did everything and yadayada. Though, two things: I didn't caught it but, who was her love? And I think she said she is like that [Ultimate Despair] because they made her like that. So I guess the others forced her into Junko and despair and made her one of the Ultimate Despairs?

Was it said why the Ultimate Imposter tried to protect everyone else or why did he chose Togami?

Do we know who the five people in the examples of Ultimate Despairs are? Fuyuhiko is the one of the eye and Kazuichi is the one with the hat that is killing others. And I just realized, Teruteru commited murder to find out what happened to his mother, but since he's an Ultimate Despair, he probably killed her himself....

About the Four Dark Devas of Destruction: What happened to them when Gundham left them? Sonia mentions in the next chapter that she took them for a walk, but then Gundham appears and says something so it's probably them acting crazy due to the digital world. And since it is a digital world, are the FDD fake too?

Do we know more info about the case that the game from Chapter 02 was based on aside from what we learned there? I would like to see what's up about that. Fuyuhiko's sister bullied one of the girls from the game, and then Girl E killed her, and then Fuyuhiko killed her. Would love to see details about it. Mikan was acting nervous and Hiyoko wasn't a grown up yet, so I assume it happened before the Ultimate Despair issues.

Was there some foreshadowing to Monomi and Chiaki being partners? I think she was like the only that wasn't a jerk to Monomi, and Chiaki was guarding the entrance to the party with Monomi in the first chapter, right?

also
predictions on who are gonna be the last standing:

1-Hinata
2-Komaeda
3-Togami
4-Mikan
5-Gundham
6-Nanami
damn

PK Gaming

Now I understand the whole Mikan thing back in Chapter 3. So when she remembered her memories, she remembered being an Ultimate Despair (even Nagito mentions it, too) and that's why she did everything and yadayada. Though, two things: I didn't caught it but, who was her love?

It was Junko.

And I think she said she is like that [Ultimate Despair] because they made her like that. So I guess the others forced her into Junko and despair and made her one of the Ultimate Despairs?

She's speaking broadly. All of the people in her life that abused her pushed into it.

Was it said why the Ultimate Imposter tried to protect everyone else or why did he chose Togami?

No, but it can be inferred that he wanted to protect everyone because it was his "duty" (ironically, the real Byakuya would never do this). If you look at it from a broader sense, they set his character up to mess with your expectations.

Do we know who the five people in the examples of Ultimate Despairs are? Fuyuhiko is the one of the eye and Kazuichi is the one with the hat that is killing others. And I just realized, Teruteru commited murder to find out what happened to his mother, but since he's an Ultimate Despair, he probably killed her himself....
Not outright confirmed, but you're pretty much on the mark in regards to your examples.

Though, if you think TeruTeru killed her in a fit of Despair then I think you might have missed the point of his entire character.

About the Four Dark Devas of Destruction: What happened to them when Gundham left them? Sonia mentions in the next chapter that she took them for a walk, but then Gundham appears and says something so it's probably them acting crazy due to the digital world. And since it is a digital world, are the FDD fake too?

They're digital recreations, yes

Do we know more info about the case that the game from Chapter 02 was based on aside from what we learned there? I would like to see what's up about that. Fuyuhiko's sister bullied one of the girls from the game, and then Girl E killed her, and then Fuyuhiko killed her. Would love to see details about it. Mikan was acting nervous and Hiyoko wasn't a grown up yet, so I assume it happened before the Ultimate Despair issues.

Sadly, no. Not developing Sato (Girl E) and Fuyuhiko's sister was one chapter 2's biggest shortcomings.

Was there some foreshadowing to Monomi and Chiaki being partners? I think she was like the only that wasn't a jerk to Monomi, and Chiaki was guarding the entrance to the party with Monomi in the first chapter, right?

Tons. The box art. The "world of girls" event in chapter 2 with Mahiru (she's next to Monomi). Her general disposition towards her and more that i'm probably forgetting. When you find Monomi's diary in chapter 5, it pretty much confirms that they're cooperating with each other.

LX_Theo

Banned
Now I understand the whole Mikan thing back in Chapter 3. So when she remembered her memories, she remembered being an Ultimate Despair (even Nagito mentions it, too) and that's why she did everything and yadayada. Though, two things: I didn't caught it but, who was her love? And I think she said she is like that [Ultimate Despair] because they made her like that. So I guess the others forced her into Junko and despair and made her one of the Ultimate Despairs?

Implied her beloved is Junko. If you look at what she actually says about it all, it makes a lot of sense.

See his FTEs and the comments he makes in the story Hajime regularly looks back to. Both are said either bluntly or implied.

Could be anyone. People speculate a lot, but the group within the VR is definitely not all the Ultimate Despairs there were.

The hamsters, in the real world, are dead. There is no situation over which their lifespan would have lasted from Gundham entering Hope's Peak and the events of DR2. As for the VR recreations of them, it was implied they were taken care of by at least Sonia by that line you mentioned. Nothing else is said on the matter as far as I know.

Not really. The incident occurred as noted in the game. Fuyuhiko's sister was killed by a friend of Mikan's because Mikan was being bullied by her. Fuyuhiko figured out from the events involving Mahiru and had Peko kill Girl E. Some details to note... In order for Fuyuhiko's sister to have been in Hope's Peak, it would had to have been later on in their school years. There is also no guarantee the picture of the group of friends was taken from the same time frame as the murder incident. Speculation here, but its very possible Junko could have organized some of the events, then used them as catapults for turning people to Ultimate Despairs.

Those are the ones I'm aware of. All very subtle ones that suggest a lack of suspicion against Monomi for Chiaki the rest of the group didn't have.

Rubedo

Speaking of Mikan, I remember I had literally just finished her last FTE and become like ultimate friends with her just before the Chapter 3 murder. So when she was like "there was only one person who ever showed me kindness" I was just there like "...The fuck? You just acted like I was super important to you!"

LX_Theo

Banned
Speaking of Mikan, I remember I had literally just finished her last FTE and become like ultimate friends with her just before the Chapter 3 murder. So when she was like "there was only one person who ever showed me kindness" I was just there like "...The fuck? You just acted like I was super important to you!"

Maybe her remembering left her with memories with a much more negative skew on Hajime

Wichu

Tons. The box art. The "world of girls" event in chapter 2 with Mahiru (she's next to Monomi). Her general disposition towards her and more that i'm probably forgetting. When you find Monomi's diary in chapter 5, it pretty much confirms that they're cooperating with each other.

Not sure how the boxart hints at that - unless you mean the Japanese 1 + 2 boxart (in which case I can kinda see it)?

Chiaki actually invites Monomi to the chapter 2 event, so there's that as well.

On the topic of Chiaki and boxart, it really bugs me that her hair is completely different there than in-game. The mix of two different styles among the characters is annoying, too :/

Implied her beloved is Junko. If you look at what she actually says about it all, it makes a lot of sense.

See his FTEs and the comments he makes in the story Hajime regularly looks back to. Both are said either bluntly or implied.

Could be anyone. People speculate a lot, but the group within the VR is definitely not all the Ultimate Despairs there were.

Not really. The incident occurred as noted in the game. Fuyuhiko's sister was killed by a friend of Mikan's because Mikan was being bullied by her. Fuyuhiko figured out from the events involving Mahiru and had Peko kill Girl E. Some details to note... In order for Fuyuhiko's sister to have been in Hope's Peak, it would had to have been later on in their school years. There is also no guarantee the picture of the group of friends was taken from the same time frame as the murder incident. Speculation here, but its very possible Junko could have organized some of the events, then used them as catapults for turning people to Ultimate Despairs.

Those are the ones I'm aware of. All very subtle ones that suggest a lack of suspicion against Monomi for Chiaki the rest of the group didn't have.
It was Junko.

She's speaking broadly. All of the people in her life that abused her pushed into it.

No, but it can be inferred that he wanted to protect everyone because it was his "duty" (ironically, the real Byakuya would never do this). If you look at it from a broader sense, they set his character up to mess with your expectations.

Not outright confirmed, but you're pretty much on the mark in regards to your examples.

They're digital recreations, yes

Sadly, no. Not developing Sato (Girl E) and Fuyuhiko's sister was one chapter 2's biggest shortcomings.
Ohhh I see! Thanks for the explanation guys.
Though, if you think TeruTeru killed her in a fit of Despair then I think you might have missed the point of his entire character.
I was just wondering since it could be a possibility due to how they mentioned that some of the Ultimate Despairs offered/killed their own parents, and Teruteru (and Mahiru I think) being the ones with most affections to their mothers. But I could be completely off-track, I would love to read your interpretation of Teruteru's character if you are willing to do it.
Tons. The box art. The "world of girls" event in chapter 2 with Mahiru (she's next to Monomi). Her general disposition towards her and more that i'm probably forgetting. When you find Monomi's diary in chapter 5, it pretty much confirms that they're cooperating with each other
Ah, I only glanced over the box art and didn't know there were any specific events. Interesting. And yeah, I didn't catch the Final Dead Room thing that only Chiaki saw until the trial.
The hamsters, in the real world, are dead. There is no situation over which their lifespan would have lasted from Gundham entering Hope's Peak and the events of DR2.
Damn, that's sad. It would be even more sad if Gundham was the one who killed them after becoming an Ultimate Despair....UGH I need to stop thinking things like that.

Not sure how the boxart hints at that - unless you mean the Japanese 1 + 2 boxart (in which case I can kinda see it)?

Chiaki actually invites Monomi to the chapter 2 event, so there's that as well.

On the topic of Chiaki and boxart, it really bugs me that her hair is completely different there than in-game. The mix of two different styles among the characters is annoying, too :/

FpyrvsP.jpg

Actually the LE for the 2nd game basically screamed NANAMI IS SPECIAL.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah that's what I thought of her the whole game until Chapter 5. Just the designated guidance character similar to how Kyoko was.

I saw the Nanami x Monomi figures off Amiami when I was browsing, so I had that spoiled before I even played v_v

FluxWaveZ

I saw the Nanami x Monomi figures off Amiami when I was browsing, so I had that spoiled before I even played v_v

Yeah, that's the only spoiler I came across for DR2 when someone posted that figure in the DR OT after the Junko/Monokuma figure was posted.

Rubedo

I had the first two victims, killers, and motives spoiled for me before playing as well as the fact that Nagito was actually crazy. Oh and I saw something about Chiaki killing Nagito but I didn't know when, how, why, or the situation surrounding it. So the whole game I thought she was gonna intentionally kill him.

I heavily suspected the Virtual Reality thing since the Prologue and Chapter 1 but I never knew for absolute certain until the actual reveal.

antibolo

Banned
While playing the first game I had Junko being the mastermind spoiled to me right before I started chapter 6.

I was mad at first, but Junko was awesome enough that I wasn't mad anymore after finishing the game.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that's the only spoiler I came across for DR2 when someone posted that figure in the DR OT after the Junko/Monokuma figure was posted.

Oh that really sucks >_> I assume there weren't any spoiler tags?

I heavily suspected the Virtual Reality thing since the Prologue and Chapter 1 but I never knew for absolute certain until the actual reveal.

What tipped you off? Usami's magic wand? I mean, for me I thought it was weird, but the DR universe is crazy with its robotic, rc-controlled Monokumas that seem to come out of nowhere >_>

While playing the first game I had Junko being the mastermind spoiled to me right before I started chapter 6.

I had Junko spoiled cause I saw someone's Junko avatar and was all like "why do they have an avatar of someone dead that you didn't get to know?" Made the last chapter easy. Are spoilery avatars allowed on GAF? I noticed several people have her (including WITH Monokuma).

FluxWaveZ

Oh that really sucks >_> I assume there weren't any spoiler tags?

Nope, just openly posted. It wasn't explicit, but it was easy to figure out what it meant because of the figure, though I went into DR2 believing Chiaki was in control of Monomi (which wasn't exactly the case). I'd be wary of the same happening here now that DR:AE is out.

I wouldn't say a Junko avatar is necessarily spoiler-y because "Junko" was one of my favorite characters in DR1 initially, which really sucked when she ended up dying first. The real spoiler-y ones are of the actual Junko, with the expressions and Monokuma hair pieces (like you mention).

Do we know how much text/localization work there is in AE anyway. I guess a fast localization isn't exactly probable?

I just wish the spoilers for that one won't be quite the minefield as the first 2 (and especially 2 :().

kewlmyc

Do we know how much text/localization work there is in AE anyway. I guess a fast localization isn't exactly probable?

I just wish the spoilers for that one won't be quite the minefield as the first 2 (and especially 2 :().

From what I've seen of streams of the game, AE has way more voiced lines, but the number of different voice actors is less (only around 11-ish).

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
i got both games' junko twists, nanami, monomi, mikan amd gundham being killers, hinata's real identity and the game bring vr spoiled, i still enjoyed the game since what matters is the execution

Rubedo

What tipped you off? Usami's magic wand? I mean, for me I thought it was weird, but the DR universe is crazy with its robotic, rc-controlled Monokumas that seem to come out of nowhere.

Well when you first go down the hall to the Hope's Peak classroom it looks all Matrix-like. Then there was the very computery intro where it's like text on a terminal. Then there was the fact that Usami and Monokuma could seemingly manipulate reality around them. And finally Mechamaru.

Yes DR is crazy but it's still within the realms of "realistic". I use that loosely but what I mean is there isn't any magic or anything. It's much like our universe in that mystic stuff doesn't really happen (Kiyondo is an exception but I suspect that was exaggeration on the game's part and in actuality he just took on some of Mondo's mannerisms). There are insane executions and shit but that can all be explained by technology and Junko having prepared all that stuff beforehand. So while it's pretty crazy, it's not really mystical or otherworldly.

Jintor

I didn't even think of vr as that much of a twist since the game literally boots into danganronpa mode when you start up...

Rubedo

Even in Danganronpa, chickens wouldn't turn into cows.

Yeah exactly. Things in DR can get really strange but nothing overtly magical. Junko still has to rely on high tech machines and stuff, we don't see reality warping going on. So a lot of things in DR2 seemed like the only solutions were A) the series jumped the shark B) Monokuma or Usami somehow rigged this island up to an EXTREMELY amazing degree to be able to do all the shit it does on command or C) it's all a simulation.

Rubedo

You know, I totally forgot about the ranch for a while. I wish they could've utilized it more.

Yeah the Ranch and Diner were kinda pointless. The only thing I can think of was the Ranch was to show that animal transformation scene and the diner was just there for the bathing suits scene. Although I guess if that took place anywhere else, you couldn't see Hiyoko running and crying.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the little Japanese style restaurant place on the last island literally served no purpose.

The Ranch was good cause where else would you meet Gundham at the start.

The diner was basically there for plot reasons but hey you can say it for most of the places too.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah the Ranch and Diner were kinda pointless. The only thing I can think of was the Ranch was to show that animal transformation scene and the diner was just there for the bathing suits scene. Although I guess if that took place anywhere else, you couldn't see Hiyoko running and crying.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the little Japanese style restaurant place on the last island literally served no purpose.
Yeah, that 5th island vendor place had no reason to be there (even more so when you think of the fact this is VR), along with that ranch save for that one scene with Monomi at the beginning. At least with the Diner, we got a long cutscene taking place there, not to mention it played into Case 2.

Top Bottom