• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

dan2026

Souda_%2821%29.png

I can't believe this guy survived, he is such a nobody compared to everyone else.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I'm in the minority that totally didn't mind Akane. She has a pretty crappy upbringing, which explains a lot, and acts on impulse and well, sometimes violence (but in a "hurt the bad guy" kind of way). She does mean well I believe, but she has more masculine traits with her toughness. Still I liked the relationship she had with Nekomaru. I don't get why she's that hated though >_>

akane had decent backstory, but her actual place in the story was just terrible. She had almost 0 growth and mostly just caused problems for the group.

Hina was a much better character, regardless of them sharing similar roles

What surprises me the most about Hiro is how he doesn't even have an actual ability. He can't truly foresee anything (except the thing about no more killings of the alternate ending in DR).

Rubedo

What surprises me the most about Hiro is how he doesn't even have an actual ability. He can't truly foresee anything (except the thing about no more killings of the alternate ending in DR).

Well you could say the same about Makoto. He just won a lottery. He's not all that lucky and Luck, like clairvoyance, isn't even a real quantifiable thing.

I guess I'm in the minority that totally didn't mind Akane. She has a pretty crappy upbringing, which explains a lot, and acts on impulse and well, sometimes violence (but in a "hurt the bad guy" kind of way). She does mean well I believe, but she has more masculine traits with her toughness. Still I liked the relationship she had with Nekomaru. I don't get why she's that hated though >_>

I liked her. More for her FTEs and backstory than role in story though. I did like some other characters better but I feel Akane is really under appreciated. Her FTEs deal with some heavy stuff I'm surprised they touched on.

Well I remember someone said he was sorry in one of his Free Time Events.

He apologizes in chapter 4 for refusing to talk to you when Nagito easily convinces him that you might be the traitor.

And then come chapter 5, he goes back to yelling at you for turning yourself in for being the traitor so the bomb wouldn't go off.

------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, I liked the survivors of SDR2 more than DR1.

I only really liked Kirigiri from the first game. Neutral on Aoi cause she didn't make me hate her. Kinda dislike Makoto for not being a character. Dislike Hiro and hated Toko and Togami.

In the second game, liked Hinata, Kuzuryuu and Sonia. Neutral on Akane and Soda is trash.

Zareka

I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one who liked Hiro. Poor guy.

Soda was awesome too. :(

I was pretty meh with the DR1 survivors. Byakuya was awesome, Makoto was ok and Aoi had that cute sprite so she's off the hook.

Kyoko was boring as all hell through the entire game though so I'm extremely disappointed she survived.

Edit: lol I forgot about Toko. That should give you an idea of how I felt about her.

Caladrius

I liked Fuyuhiko and Sonia. Hajime was alright (and arguably a better character than Makoto was) but the other two were uninteresting to me.

Of 1's survivors I liked Naegi, Kirigiri and Byakuya (In a "love to hate" way). I liked Genocide jill but not Toko, and Hiro and Aoi were background scenery.

I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one who liked Hiro. Poor guy.

Soda was awesome too. :(

I was pretty meh with the DR1 survivors. Byakuya was awesome, Makoto was ok and Aoi had that cute sprite so she's off the hook.

Kyoko was boring as all hell through the entire game though so I'm extremely disappointed she survived.

Edit: lol I forgot about Toko. That should give you an idea of how I felt about her.
you cant just bring it up
tumblr_inline_mpmt22sRTD1qz4rgp.png

also...kyoko boring...? booooo

Why are the surviving cast always like least interesting characters.
Because the writers failed to make them interesting or likeable. I have no problem with their survival, it happens, sometimes dumb people survive ordeals when brilliant people don't, but the writers doubly burdened these characters with poor comedic timing, paper-thin characterization, and minimal plot involvement. I understand that some characters, particularly the killers and the killed, have to receive more development than other characters so that their deaths have more shock value or impact but Hiro, Akane, and Kazuichi certainly should've been more than obvious afterthoughts.

PK Gaming

I liked both sets of survivors.

Pound for pound, I think DR1 might win out over DR2, but 2's survivors are pretty great nonetheless.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
After lending my copy of DR1 and Vita to a friend, we've been discussing it thoroughly. The end cast of characters does show a lot of social commentary with humanity. Some things that were brought up:

Makoto: The hope of humanity, plain and simple. Need hope!

Kyoko: The seeker of truth. It doesn't always mean that she seeks justice too, but the truth is the important part of what her job is.

Byakuya: Seen as the opposite side of the coin of Monokuma (before Monomi became that position). As arrogant as he is.

Toko: A sort of opposite to Byakuya as well. She's still that bit of chaos, as she's pretty unpredictable (whenever she sneezes...)

Aoi: The "mob mentality". Thinking with emotions first with her "he definitely did it!!" attitude. Emotions that can cloud your rational thinking in the trials, and something dangerous that could get them killed (as seen with the Sakura trial).

Hiro: The slacker. He's always the guy on the side that doesn't really want to do a lot of work, and speaks before he thinks. But, he often sits back and just spews out random stuff.

At least, that was some of our thoughts on it. Still need to wait for him to beat DR2 before we can discuss that one :)

Zareka

you cant just bring it up
tumblr_inline_mpmt22sRTD1qz4rgp.png

also...kyoko boring...? booooo

Haha, thanks for that. I don't have any of the sprites on me or else I would have posted it. :<

As far Kyoko, all I can remember of her was "mysterious helper", and she wasn't even that mysterious considering it was hilariously obvious what her Ultimate talent was the moment she took over the first cases investigation. The 'big reveal' at the end of the game feel completely flat and cemented the idea in my mind that Makoto (the entire cast of DR1?) is dumb as bricks.

And from what I can remember she didn't even have a good reason for pushing everything on to Makoto during the class trials. At least Chiaki had a reason.

Survivor Rankings...

DR1
Aoi > Kyoko >>> Toko > Makoto >>> Yasuhiro >>>>>>>>>> Byakuya

DR2
Minimaru!!! > Sonia > Hajime > Akane >>> Fuyuhiko >>>>>>>>>> Kazuichi
(Though no one's actually dead, so HURRAY! :D)

My favorite girl from each game made it to the end. Now it's time for the dudes to represent in DR3.

The amount of Akane hate in this thread is baffling to me. She was my second-favourite character after Gundam and I was really happy that she made it through to the end of the game.

I liked all of the survivors overall though, even Kaz. I think he gets way more flak than he deserves (in no way is he as annoying or incompetent as Hiro), and his FTEs really endeared him to me. I was overall really happy with the final group of survivors, since they're leagues more interesting and likeable than 3/6 of DR1's.

Well you could say the same about Makoto. He just won a lottery. He's not all that lucky and Luck, like clairvoyance, isn't even a real quantifiable thing.
Well, but doesn't he becomes Ultimate Hope? Also, yeah, the fact that luck is or isn't a talent is something that comes up pretty often in the series though.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, Minimaru wouldn't exist without Kazuichi.

This is true! I also didn't find Kaz to be that bad. Actually, I was hoping he would make it. I mean, he seems like such a bro. Hooked up on the girls (and Sonia...) but I mean, he was useful. Who else could've got the elevator fixed? Honestly, I was worried at first that he did it to not make it obvious :/

Rubedo

I liked all the DR2 survivors except Kazuichi.

In DR1, the only two survivors I didn't really like were Toko and Hiro. After doing Toko's FTEs I liked her a little more though. I just don't really hate Hiro (The fact that he's useless is pretty much the point. It does lead to some funny lines.) but I don't have any attachment to him at all either. He's just kinda there.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Akane's not really bad, she's just...there
Exactly. I think she kind of suffers from the same problem as Mahiru. Not a bad character, per say, but just one that doesn't stick out as much when you compare her to other cast members. Again, I give them credit for giving her a decent background of how she grew up with her FTEs, just like Mahiru. Some characters were more interesting when you hung out with them alone compared to the main story when said character's interacting with others.

Nyoro SF

Akane's not really bad, she's just...there

Yeah.

Using FTEs as justification for characters in DR2 is a bit weak because in retrospect you don't need FTEs to respect or understand the DR1 cast. It just expands on what we already know about them. Especially since unless you manipulate saves or participate in Island Mode post-game you won't access most FTEs.

Imagine if the Aoi/Sakura case was gimped because you didn't do Aoi's FTEs. I'd be annoyed.

In looking back at DR2 the best character is by far and away Nagito. Sometimes he can get repetitive, but one-on-one with the guy eclipses any other encounters by a long shot. Like Flux said a while back, he felt like the true villain in terms of displaying a twisted mind.

Zareka

Akane was awesome. I liked her both in the main story and her FTE's. She just seemed like a really friendly, outgoing person and I got a good vibe from her.

It helps that her VA was spot on for what I'd expect for her kind of character.
In looking back at DR2 the best character is by far and away Nagito.

my man

DR1:
Togami>Kirigiri>Genocider/Toko>Makoto>Yasuhiro>>>>>>Aoi

DR2:
Fuyuhiko/Sonia>Hajime>Kazuichi>Fuyuhiko's Dead Sister>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Akane

Looking back, I'm still super ultra mega hyper surprised that Nagito and Chiaki weren't one of the survivors, since I always saw them in the sense Togami/Kirigiri of the game and believed they would resist until then. Then Chapter 5 happened.
DR2
Minimaru!!! > Sonia > Hajime > Akane >>> Fuyuhiko >>>>>>>>>> Kazuichi
(Though no one's actually dead, so HURRAY! :D)
heh
The amount of Akane hate in this thread is baffling to me. She was my second-favourite character after Gundam and I was really happy that she made it through to the end of the game.

I liked all of the survivors overall though, even Kaz. I think he gets way more flak than he deserves (in no way is he as annoying or incompetent as Hiro), and his FTEs really endeared him to me. I was overall really happy with the final group of survivors, since they're leagues more interesting and likeable than 3/6 of DR1's.
This is one of the reasons you're one of my favorite posters. Even though you don't like all characters equal or find some of them to be bad at sometimes, you'll always find the good of them and defend them.
If you ask me, DR2 wouldn't even be a fraction of as good without Nagito. He added so much to the game.
You had one of these kind of avatars before but with Hajime, right? Is there any link of some but with other characters? (Also awesome avatar as always)

Vylash

In the main story, I'd agree. But I think she has some of the best FTEs.

Her FTEs were okay, but there was a weird disconnect between the actual events and how they were portrayed. Molestation and sexual exploitation is serious stuff, and instead of presenting it that way they kinda had Akane shrug it off and think nothing of it. I get that being generally oblivious is Akane's thing, but I think they could've done so much more with her, like have her reveal that her general demeanor is something like a defense mechanism that she uses to shield herself form the mental pain of her upbringing, a defense mechanism that she doesn't even know how to turn off anymore. I don't really dislike Akane, but I think they could've done much more with her.

so I finished IF and the one thing I'm waking away from it with is (I guess we're tagging spoilers for it?)

that I want to see what hijinks unfold when Fuyuhiko finds out that Hiro extorted cash from the Kuzuryu clan

Rubedo

Her FTEs were okay, but there was a weird disconnect between the actual events and how they were portrayed. Molestation and sexual exploitation is serious stuff, and instead of presenting it that way they kinda had Akane shrug it off and think nothing of it. I get that being generally oblivious is Akane's thing, but I think they could've done so much more with her, like have her reveal that her general demeanor is something like a defense mechanism that she uses to shield herself form the mental pain of her upbringing, a defense mechanism that she doesn't even know how to turn off anymore. I don't really dislike Akane, but I think they could've done much more with her.

That's what I find so sad about it. She was being sexually abused and stuff and wasn't even aware that it was wrong.

I miss Hina. Need some excuse to bring her back. I loved her English VO, so damn cute.

You should play Atelier Totori, then- Cassandra Lee Morris plays the main character.

I played it before DR1, so at some points in that game I was thinking "why is Totori so angry? This is so out of character for her!"

Zareka

You should play Atelier Totori, then- Cassandra Lee Morris plays the main character.
I guess I should get round to playing Atelier Totori then.

For anyone else looking for more Cassandra Lee Morris goodness, Devil Summoner Soul Hackers on 3DS has her as your main female companion. She's also Edea in Bravely Default, so give that a try too (they're both fantastic games so you should be playing them anyway!).

Rubedo

Even the way she talks, she's oblivious as to what is and isn't "normal". It's pretty sad :/

Yeah I imagine when you grow up getting exploited and having creepy dudes asking to feel you up or see you naked, you don't really think of saying those kinds of things as out of the ordinary.

ss-hikaru

Dangan Ronpa's credits song is way better than DR2's tho, gotta say

DanganRonpa's ED is super catchy but DR2's really grew on me. So much that I despaired that the DR2 OST didn't have a full version and pressured my BF into buying the LE from a reseller (because I bought mine digitally...ugh since when did LE soundtracks have exclusive tracks not on the main OST?).

Poor Kazuichi. I liked you dude dw. Although in the end the only two I maxed out hope shards with were Kazuichi and his love rival Gundham hahahaa (sorry Kaz GundhamxSonia is just too cute, you have no chance even with Gundham dead LOL). Count me in as one of the people who finds Kyoko boring. I didn't free-time talk to her at all.

In looking back at DR2 the best character is by far and away Nagito.

Best character in DR2? Best character in the DR universe methinks :p

I love VA jokes. Is this a parody of the J-Stars Character Trailer (Gintoki -> Jojo)?

Top Bottom