• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

f19vPfd.jpg

Such ominous foreshadowing.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I liked Akane for just being the most down to Earth person in the entire game. She's crass, rude, un-ladylike, lewd, and DGAF. I mean, ol' girl comes out in the middle of a trial, and says you can cop a feel for free (which Sonia in her infinite skankiness tells her to charge Hajime to do so). Just an awesome character.

Actually now that I think of it, Sonia is one of the most perplexing characters in the game. I know she had the whole "foreign student" angle going for her, but I think she understood more then she was letting on.

Zareka

How do I get the 4th Monokuma plush on chapter 4? I know it's in the standard room in Strawberry house, but I can't seem to find an opportunity to grab it. The first time Akane and Fuyuhiko are in there and the rest of the time I'm being babysat and can't wander too far away from my handler.

Also yeah, I've decided to platinum this game. I want to know how I went from selling DR the first chance I got to platinuming (which I never do) the sequel. How. Why.

Zareka

Pretty sure you do it during free time. I recall that's how I got it.
Whoops yeah, was just about to edit my post. I fell asleep and must have loaded a save in the middle of Deadly Life, and completely forgot everything that was meant to happen in between. My bad. :p

FStubbs

I guess I should get round to playing Atelier Totori then.

For anyone else looking for more Cassandra Lee Morris goodness, Devil Summoner Soul Hackers on 3DS has her as your main female companion. She's also Edea in Bravely Default, so give that a try too (they're both fantastic games so you should be playing them anyway!).

Doesn't she reprise Totori in Atelier Meruru?

PK Gaming

I'm telling you guys, Mahiru is voiced by Elizabeth Thomas. I can say this with 99.7% certainty.

I have absolute faith in my talent.

If only she had a twitter...

ZeroX03

Banned
Only 4 of them were really murderers though. And two of those literally had no choice. The sim version of Mikan had no control over what her Despair self would do. Gundham had to or everyone would die anyway.

I'm two days late on this because this thread moves so damn fast, but why did Gundham have to kill Nekomaru? DR1 already established that suicide counts. He could've offed himself.

Also how did Chiaki get hungry during that chapter?

I'm two days late on this because this thread moves so damn fast, but why did Gundham have to kill Nekomaru? DR1 already established that suicide counts. He could've offed himself.

Also how did Chiaki get hungry during that chapter?

His entire lesson was "don't give up on life." He'd be a massive hypocrite if he just killed himself and/or admitted to the crime without resistance. By challenging Nekomaru to a mano-a-roboto duel, he ensured that everyone would both learn an important lesson and make it out alive without his having to just roll over and die.

DaBoss

But his point wouldn't have come across to the others if he just committed suicide. He said to give up on life is not what life should be. He and Nekomaru made a sacrifice in a way that exemplifies that point.

EDIT: What Scrafty said.

ZeroX03

Banned
His entire lesson was "don't give up on life." He'd be a massive hypocrite if he just killed himself and/or admitted to the crime without resistance. By challenging Nekomaru to a mano-a-roboto duel, he ensured that everyone would both learn an important lesson and make it out alive without his having to just roll over and die.

He would've been a hypocrite (hell we wouldn't have heard his ridiculous speech so we wouldn't have even known) and Nekomaru would've been alive at the end of it. Let's kill people to make a point!

But his point wouldn't have come across to the others if he just committed suicide. He said to give up on life is not what life should be. He and Nekomaru made a sacrifice in a way that exemplifies that point.

"He gave his life so we'd be able to survive" is pretty good motivation. Hell it's used in stories constantly. DR1 arguably used it with Sakura. Sure it'd be repeating that (chapter 4 in general sucked) but it makes him slightly less of an asshole than straight up killing.

PK Gaming

He would've been a hypocrite (hell we wouldn't have heard his ridiculous speech so we wouldn't have even known) and Nekomaru would've been alive at the end of it. Let's kill people to make a point!

Sounds like you completely missed that point

I get the point. It was just a stupid fucking point to make.

If he was half as noble as he thought he was (and people here seem to think he is) he would've offed himself. Shitty, asshole character.

I really don't think you fully understood it, but that's ok. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

FluxWaveZ

If he was half as noble as he thought he was (and people here seem to think he is) he would've offed himself. Shitty, asshole character.

I didn't think it was "noble." I don't think it was meant to be. That was the point. "Survive at any means" isn't necessarily a good value.

No, you really don't get the point. In fact, I think you're deliberately creating a straw man of the character in order to prove a point that doesn't exist.

ZeroX03

Banned
No, you really don't get the point. In fact, I think you're deliberately creating a straw man of the character in order to prove a point that doesn't exist.

Did Gundham need to kill Neko? No.
Did Gundham need to kill Neko for the others to survive? No.
Did Gundham want to murder Neko to make a point? Yes.
Does that make him an asshole? Yes, of course it fucking does.

Tell me how I'm wrong. Go ahead.

Again I'm not telling people they can't like Gundham. I'm just pointing out he's not a good guy (barely anyone in this series is), and everyone jumped down my throat for it last time and they're doing it again.

Caladrius

Would a suicide have made it easier for the other students to solve the mystery and survive?

From what I understood, Neko agreed with Gundham's point of view (and if I remember right they mentioned that Nekomaru could have escaped or yell out for help but he didn't) and even if he managed to kill Gundham, he wouldn't have admitted his crime until they discovered him.
Pekoyama_%2811%29.png

All of you shall lead me in the way of using sprites, Masters.

Have to say it really bummed me out that Mechamaru died almost as soon as he was brought back from the dead. :(
And that sucked because Nekomaru wasn't available for the whole Chapter 3 and its class trial.

Someone had to die, and Gundam specifically chose someone who would be able to put up a fight so that they each had an equal chance of dying. Nekomaru was fully intending on killing Gundam as well, and I'd love to see your perspective on his character had he actually succeeded. Based on what you've posted so far, it'd be a riot and a half.

Someone had to die in order for everyone to survive, and based on the events of DR1's fourth case, two people would've died no matter what the outcome was. Gundam took matters into his own hands and Nekomaru agreed with his methods to the point where he willingly went along with his plan.

Did Gundham want to murder Neko to prove a point? Yes.

He didn't kill him to "prove a point," he entered a suicide pact with him to ensure the survival of at least one person. If he didn't act, then everyone would've starved to death, which is a lot worse of an outcome than two people deciding to give their own lives.

It really doesn't. Maybe a bit selfish depending on how you construe his intentions and final speech, but he was just trying to avoid a worst-case scenario. We don't know what would've happened if he had just killed himself, but if Monokuma interfered like he did in the first game then he would end up dead and everyone would stay demoralized and miserable.

I think I've made my argument quite clear by this point. If you wish to continue this exercise in futility, then I suggest you take it to PMs.

LX_Theo

Banned

Again I'm not telling people they can't like Gundham. I'm just pointing out he's not a good guy (barely anyone in this series is), and everyone jumped down my throat for it last time and they're doing it again.

He's not a good guy, but he's not a bad guy either. You're stance is just as bad as their's in terms of unnecessary skewing.

His death wasn't a valiant sacrifice, but it was one without malice towards any party involved and offered a fair battle for each side to "not give up on life". He's not an asshole because he didn't martyr himself.

FluxWaveZ

He didn't kill him to "prove a point," he entered a suicide pact with him to ensure the survival of at least one person. If he didn't act, then everyone would've starved to death, which is a lot worse of an outcome than two people deciding to give their own lives.

I don't agree that it was a suicide pact. They may have accepted that one or both of them would die, but it wasn't straight up suicide or else Nekomaru Gundham would have given himself up immediately. He was still fighting for his life, with the large possibility that he would lose.

I don't agree that it was a suicide pact. They may have accepted that one or both of them would die, but it wasn't straight up suicide or else Nekomaru would have given himself up immediately. He was still fighting for his life, with the large possibility that he would lose.

When I say suicide pact, I mean more than one of them was ready and willing to die for the sake of the other. Whether or not they fought for the survival of the whole group of just one of them is unclear, but the fact that they were both willing to risk death in order to give the other a fighting chance at survival makes me think that it was some sort of suicide/blood pact.

FluxWaveZ

Whether or not they fought for the survival of the whole group of just one of them is unclear, but the fact that they were both willing to risk death in order to give the other a fighting chance at survival makes me think that it was some sort of suicide/blood pact.

It was a pact of sorts, but what I'm particularly addressing is the former part. I don't see how it's unclear whether they were fighting for the whole group to survive or just one of them to. If Gundham was fighting just for the group, why wouldn't he have gone "guys, I did it" and explain exactly how he did it right at the start of the class trial? What I got from his speech was that he fought for both; for survival. To me, it was morally ambiguous; neither right or wrong. If he could get away with what he did, he would have gladly done so.

Edit: Woops, I've been saying "Nekomaru" when I meant "Gundham."

It was a pact of sorts, but what I'm particularly addressing is the former part. I don't see how it's unclear whether they were fighting for the whole group to survive or just one of them to. If Gundham was fighting just for the group, why wouldn't he have gone "guys, I did it" and explain exactly how he did it right at the start of the class trial? What I got from his speech was that he fought for both; for survival. To me, it was morally ambiguous; neither right or wrong. If he could get away with what he did, he would have gladly done so.

Edit: Woops, I've been saying "Nekomaru" when I meant "Gundham."

I see your point, especially considering that Gundam would've had the perfect crime had it not been for Fuyuhiko's interference, but the nature of the final exchange between Gundam and the group makes me think that some part of him wanted to get caught so he could teach the group a lesson. I mean, he outright denies Hajime's assertion that he was sacrificing himself for the group, but at the same time I can't help but feel that what he did wasn't solely for himself.

Like you said, it's definitely ambiguous.

ZeroX03

Banned
It really doesn't. Maybe a bit selfish depending on how you construe his intentions and final speech, but he was just trying to avoid a worst-case scenario. We don't know what would've happened if he had just killed himself, but if Monokuma interfered like he did in the first game then he would end up dead and everyone would stay demoralized and miserable.

I think I've made my argument quite clear by this point. If you wish to continue this exercise in futility, then I suggest you take it to PMs.

He murdered one person and put everyone else's life at risk for a chance to escape. That's a bit selfish now? Ooooooooookay.

He murdered one person and put everyone else's life at risk for a chance to escape. That's a bit selfish now? Ooooooooookay.
Nekomaru could have probably killed him if it wasn't for the Dark Devas of Destruction, and even then they didn't do it for a chance to escape, they did it to put an end to the funhouse and the starvation/exercises everyone had to endure.

Everyone was going to die anyways if they had stayed in the funhouse. He offered them a chance to keep on living, even if his end goal may have been to ensure the survival of whoever proved themselves to be more worthy during the trial.

Top Bottom