• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

I've thought about something.

We know Naegi doesn't want to execute the members of the Ultimate Despair, but what's the worst that could happen if the survivors chose to graduate instead of rebooting the system ?
There probably is a crew that's watching what's happening and can restrain or execute the JUNKOS clones.
Junko had control over the graduation process so Makoto, Kyoko, and Byakuya would have been forced to stay in the VR.

Rubedo

I have a question for everyone in regards to their experience with both games.

When you are playing are playing though the game as Hajime or Makoto do you tend to think of it like you are the character? What I mean is that in games with blank slate protagonists (Persona, Pokemon, etc) you tend to associate the character as yourself since you control them and it's easy to place yourself in their mind. With characters like Hajime or Makoto do you get that same feeling? Like when someone insults them do you react like "Oh they just insulted me" or do you think of them more as just another character in the game rather than "your" character.

Zareka

When you are playing are playing though the game as Hajime or Makoto do you tend to think of it like you are the character? What I mean is that in games with blank slate protagonists (Persona, Pokemon, etc) you tend to associate the character as yourself since you control them and it's easy to place yourself in their mind. With characters like Hajime or Makoto do you get that same feeling? Like when someone insults them do you react like "Oh they just insulted me" or do you think of them more as just another character in the game rather than "your" character.

It's weird. I tend to think of myself as the character, but I do it unknowingly. I try to imagine them as their own character (reading stuff in their voice etc) but when I get into the game it just goes out the window and I become the main character.

I found myself doing this more so with Hajime for whatever reason.

petghost

Banned

i think they are characters in their own right regardless of them being the player avatar. they have their own thoughts and feelings and reactions to situations which certinaly dont always mirror my own.

still, i would like to see more player agency as far as picking dialogue choices or something.

I found it easier to relate to Hajime since he actually has a character and actually reacts pretty much according to how someone normally would act to such a situation.

Makoto on the other hand is basically a blank state protagonist where all your choices are already the right supportive ones.

Even games that try and make "you" the protagonist I don't get the feeling, much less with games where the protagonist is actually a character like Danganronpa. It just doesn't make sense in my mind to implant myself in a fictional world. I'm always experiencing games vicariously.

elmars369

Unconfirmed Member

I usually see them as their own chatacters and not myself. A lot of the time I imagine that there's another character in the game and he's super cool, good looking and always knows what to say... I tend to identify with him...

Rubedo

It's weird. I tend to think of myself as the character, but I do it unknowingly. I try to imagine them as their own character (reading stuff in their voice etc) but when I get into the game it just goes out the window and I become the main character.

I found myself doing this more so with Hajime for whatever reason.

This is sorta how it works for me too. I just unknowingly feel like when I do FTEs with characters, it's me they're talking too. But then certain things like Hajime dealing with being Izuru and stuff disassociate it a little bit.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Hina really was way better than Akane yo

Hina is better than EVERYONE.

dGsxCH9.jpg

Jintor

I love the PLAN and the STORY for case five. It's so fucking twisted. Nagito is the world's ultimate asshole. But I don't particularly like the execution of the case. It leads the player a bit too much. There was no exhilarating moment of realisation like I got at the end of Ghost Trick or AA1/3/5. Chiaki practically guides you through it. Makes sense, but it's irritating.

It'd be really cool if the player could reach the conclusion that Nagito was actually trying to kill everyone rather than just the traitor via inference rather than just having it told to them. I'm not sure how it would be done, and I still think it was cool as is, but I think it'd be pretty crazy as a player to realize that on your own.

FluxWaveZ

Chiaki might be the reason case 5 isn't as good as it could have been, for me. It's like Kyoko sometimes in DR1; I don't like it when the trial is kind of put on fast forward because a person's almost got it all figured out and expresses as much. It helps the tension when there's a slight bit of methodically placed confusion where the characters aren't sure what's going on, or that they're being misdirected, and I feel that frequent "You know what this means, right, Naegi/Hinata?" messed with that.

Other than that part of the trial, it was definitely the best case in the game, and potentially the entire series. The revelations were just really crazy, and Nagito was the reason for it all, as only someone like him could have pulled something like that.

It'd be really cool if the player could reach the conclusion that Nagito was actually trying to kill everyone rather than just the traitor via inference rather than just having it told to them. I'm not sure how it would be done, and I still think it was cool as is, but I think it'd be pretty crazy as a player to realize that on your own.

I think I realized that too early during the trial, so then I had to read through several lines while thinking "Morons, this obviously wasn't a suicide!" I initially thought he had put a bit of poison into each of the canisters, though, so that every single person would be a blackened.

When that building was burning earlier in the chapter, though, there's only one thing that came to my mind while they were trying to extinguish the fire: "Why?" I would have let that shit burn. Look where it got them!

PK Gaming

I think it would have been preferable if Hajime (after discovering that the poison was inserted into the Fire Grenade) had continued on that train of thought on his own, rather than Chiaki coming to that conclusion for him.

Yeah Chapter 5 was frickin' awesome. The idea of both Nagito and Chiaki dying in the same chapter is waaaay too crazy, and them dying in the first place is even crazier, since you know they're the Togami and Kirigiri of the game so you would certainly expect to survive till' the end (or at least me). And the execution of how things were played out was just amazing.

FluxWaveZ

The idea of both Nagito and Chiaki dying in the same chapter is waaaay too crazy, and them dying in the first place is even crazier, since you know they're the Togami and Kirigiri of the game so you would certainly expect to survive till' the end (or at least me).

Hm, I think the death that actually astonished me was Nagito's. Wasn't necessarily expecting Chiaki to die, but she seemed just as vulnerable to death to me as most of the cast, while Nagito seemed practically untouchable (which, I guess in the end, he was). The other would be "Byakuya", because I obviously wasn't aware of the Ultimate Imposter stuff and I certainly wasn't expecting a survivor from DR1 to be the first to die, especially when he had certain plans in regards to the traitor and the mystery surrounding the island.

I think the thing is that you needed Chiaki basically egging you on to keep finding out the truths of the case cause otherwise, Hajime would probably have given in once everyone else was completely content with ruling it a suicide.

Zareka

I totally get why they had Chiaki guiding you through that case, but I still didn't really like it. It had to happen but it definitely lessened the impact of the best case in the game.

Damn it Chiaki, do at least one thing right.

Wichu

Hm, I think the death that actually astonished me was Nagito's. Wasn't necessarily expecting Chiaki to die, but she seemed just as vulnerable to death to me as most of the cast, while Nagito seemed practically untouchable (which, I guess in the end, he was). The other would be "Byakuya", because I obviously wasn't aware of the Ultimate Imposter stuff and I certainly wasn't expecting a survivor from DR1 to be the first to die, especially when he had certain plans in regards to the traitor and the mystery surrounding the island.

I was actually expecting Byakuya to die early on. No way were they going to let someone with knowledge of the previous killing game stay alive to give it all away (even if he ended up being someone completely different).

I always thought that Chiaki had the same invulnerability as Nagito. I was also expecting fat Togami to make it to the end, since the idea of having a survivor from the first game to be killed in the new one seemed crazy.
I was actually expecting Byakuya to die early on. No way were they going to let someone with knowledge of the previous killing game stay alive to give it all away (even if he ended up being someone completely different).
To be fair, fat Togami didn't seem to have the knowledge of any events from the previous game, since he had no idea who Monokuma was, and you could have explained it saying his memories from the first game were taken away since everyone lost theirs.

Jintor

I think the plan for Case five is probably the best in any of the various murder mystery visual novel games I've played so far. The execution is just so lacking in comparison to how fucked up the plan is.

I think the thing is that you needed Chiaki basically egging you on to keep finding out the truths of the case cause otherwise, Hajime would probably have given in once everyone else was completely content with ruling it a suicide.

You gotta Reach Out To The Truth, baby!

Isotope

Regarding Case 5, was Chiaki being the killer all dependent on Nagito's luck also? Was it thanks to Nagito's luck that the traitor was revealed and was killed in the process?

Rubedo

Regarding Case 5, was Chiaki being the killer all dependent on Nagito's luck also? Was it thanks to Nagito's luck that the traitor was revealed and was killed in the process?

Well they wouldn't have figured out who the traitor was if Chiaki didn't heavily hint at it.

I believe that was what Nagito was banking on, for the traitor to be the one to kill him.

I don't think it was due to Nagito's luck that the traitor was the one killed though, since he was hoping for the Ultimate Despairs to get killed off and for the traitor not to. He was probably expecting them to fall into his trap of an 'unsolvable' murder and not be able to pinpoint who the traitor was which would lead to everyone expect the traitor getting killed.

My character ranking after finishing the game

1. Komaeda
2. Nanami
3. Mioda
4. Tanaka
5. Kuzuryu
6. Hinata
----
7. Pekoyama
8. Tsumiki
9. Saionji
10. Sonia
11. Nidai
12. Koizumi
---
13. Hanamura
14. Soda
15. Imposter
16. Owari

Speaking of case 5, didn't anybody else feel it contradicted the previously established rule that it was the mastermind who plotted the murder who was guilty, not necessarily the one carrying out the act. Chiaki was clearly just an unwitting pawn in Nagito's plan, and it was disappointing they didn't even try to explain why she still was the guilty one.

It's kinda shaky, yeah. One could argue that by similar logic, Nekomaru's death was suicide because despite Gundham setting up him to fall, he was the one that started squirming which led to his fall.

Speaking of case 5, didn't anybody else feel it contradicted the previously established rule that it was the mastermind who plotted the murder who was guilty, not necessarily the one carrying out the act. Chiaki was clearly just an unwitting pawn in Nagito's plan, and it was disappointing they didn't even try to explain why she still was the guilty one.
Then wouldn't Fuyuhiko be executed in Chapter 2?
It's kinda shaky, yeah. One could argue that by similar logic, Nekomaru's death was suicide because despite Gundham setting up him to fall, he was the one that started squirming which led to his fall.
Oh, I was thinking about this too.
Gundham ties up Nekomaru and leaves him hanging. Nekomaru awakes and starts squirming which makes him fall to his death = Gundham's the blackened.
Nagito puts the poison in the fire extinguisher, then Chiaki throws it and kill him. = Chiaki's the blackened?

Monokuma does whatever the hell it wants. It's not like they didn't bend/break the rules before when they tried to execute Makoto.

It seems that some rules are hard fast, will others are just "suggestions".

well its obvious that you have to actually call out the rules.

Remember in the first game, monokuma had to be called out for it to not happen and the same in dr2.

I think thats probably why honestly

well its obvious that you have to actually call out the rules.

Remember in the first game, monokuma had to be called out for it to not happen and the same in dr2.

I think thats probably why honestly
Monokuma still tried to kill Makoto though, even after being "called out". If it wasn't for Alter Ego, he'd be a pink pancake.

I'm hoping in DR3, whoever is the Mastermind behind it will actually follow their own gameplan.

Vylash

]Monokuma still tried to kill Makoto though, even after being "called out"[/B]. If it wasn't for Alter Ego, he'd be a pink pancake.

I'm hoping in DR3, whoever is the Mastermind behind it will actually follow their own gameplan.

Unless my memory was fuzzy, wasn't he called out after he tried to execute Makoto?

LX_Theo

Banned
Monokuma still tried to kill Makoto though, even after being "called out". If it wasn't for Alter Ego, he'd be a pink pancake.

Uh... no? Alter Ego doesn't apply under the rules because he's not a student or part of the killing game. Under the rules, Monokuma can do whatever he wants. Same concept with Usami.

He broke his rules when he tried to kill Makoto via the execution. He was called out afterwards and that was what allowed the final group to force a final confrontation in the next class trial.

If I recall correctly, what went down is that in a rage, Fuyuhiko grabbed the bat, but Peko stopped him and killed Mahiru herself. Fuyuhiko had the intent to kill (at least in that moment), but never instructed Peko to do anything.

Oh, I was thinking about this too.
Gundham ties up Nekomaru and leaves him hanging. Nekomaru awakes and starts squirming which makes him fall to his death = Gundham's the blackened.
Nagito puts the poison in the fire extinguisher, then Chiaki throws it and kill him. = Chiaki's the blackened?

It would be consistent if Komaeda's cause of death was the spear. But they make the distinction that it was the poison that killed him.

The conclusion to that case was the Peko was actually acting against Fuyuhiko's wishes, and thus ultimately responsible for the murder.

Monokuma does whatever the hell it wants. It's not like they didn't bend/break the rules before when they tried to execute Makoto.

It seems that some rules are hard fast, will others are just "suggestions".
I dunno, seems to me Monokuma was quite the stickler for following his own rules, even when it gave the students an advantage. Executing Makoto was the one exception, but that was also an extreme case where the plan was falling apart and Junko was getting desperate. There was no such danger in case 5, and while I'm sure the opportunity to kill Chiaki was welcome, there was no immediate need to do so.

And in any case, the students should have brought it up during the trial, rather than automatically accepting the premise that the one who threw the poison was guilty.

But even when Monokuma breaks the rules he compensates it. After what you said, he lets the DR1 survivors have a final investigation and confrontation with him, he also saves Fuyuhiko's life and repaires Nekomaru.
My memory my be fuzzy but I'm pretty sure In that I instance it was deemed that Peko acted on her own and Fuyuhiko didn't want to kill Mahiru.
I think that he mentioned that he didn't want to kill her, but when Mahiru said something like "You shouldn't do things based on revenge! Revenge is wrong!" he says he snaps and almost takes the bat and kills her if it wasn't for Peko who jumps in and actually kills her. Also, since we're discussing this, I would like to be sure of something. When Hajime does his comic book thing, he does while thinking Peko did all of it, but after she admits that it was because of Fuyuhiko all along, does that means that the person in this scenes:
PqmTNoo.png

was actually Fuyuhiko?
It would be consistent if Komaeda's cause of death was the spear. But they make the distinction that it was the poison that killed him.
Yeah, the poison he himself put in the fire extinguishers.

I believe it's still Peko. After she killed Mahiru, she tells Fuyuhiko not to worry because she has a plan, which would point towards her being the one who did all the preparation. I would assume this means that she had the intent to kill the whole time, believing that it's what Fuyuhiko wanted.

Jintor

God I love creepy murdere manniquin dude. So creepy.

If I could praise the shit out of one element of DR it's the concluding argument game. They really improved on that in DR2, but even in DR1 it was my favourite. It just looks so fucking cool.

I was already completely enamored with the game by the time the closing argument started in DR1, but actually seeing it play out with limited motion while that awesome track plays made me love it even more.

If I could praise the shit out of one element of DR it's the concluding argument game. They really improved on that in DR2, but even in DR1 it was my favourite. It just looks so fucking cool.
Yeah, same for me. My favorite moments of it are the transition from the murder guy to the actual murderer and when they explain/show things that the player (Naegi/Hajime) didn't experience. That's why Chapter 3 is such a dissapointment. :(

PK Gaming

Nanami_Slaps_Akane.jpg

This scene is a lot heavier in retrospect.

Chiaki: You’re not that kind of person, are you? You’re not the kind of person who could hurt someone else, right? It’s all right ... you’re okay ... everything’s all right ...

Would be cool to have creepy murdere manniquin get filled in by the actual murder just for the hell of it. Same expressions though please.

Nanami_Slaps_Akane.jpg

This scene is a lot heavier in retrospect.

Chiaki: You’re not that kind of person, are you? You’re not the kind of person who could hurt someone else, right? It’s all right ... you’re okay ... everything’s all right ...
Yeah, I was thinking about that.

There's a bunch of moments you look back on and see the hidden meaning behind them.

Top Bottom