• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Nanami_Slaps_Akane.jpg

This scene is a lot heavier in retrospect.

Chiaki: You’re not that kind of person, are you? You’re not the kind of person who could hurt someone else, right? It’s all right ... you’re okay ... everything’s all right ...

Chiaki's body looks too big for her head in this drawing.

Viridian6

I think that he mentioned that he didn't want to kill her, but when Mahiru said something like "You shouldn't do things based on revenge! Revenge is wrong!" he says he snaps and almost takes the bat and kills her if it wasn't for Peko who jumps in and actually kills her. Also, since we're discussing this, I would like to be sure of something. When Hajime does his comic book thing, he does while thinking Peko did all of it, but after she admits that it was because of Fuyuhiko all along, does that means that the person in this scenes:
PqmTNoo.png

was actually Fuyuhiko?

Yeah, I've always wondered what really went down in Case 2. If Fuyuhiko just wanted to confront Mahiru, couldn't he have gone to her villa rather than lure her to the beach house? Why lure Hiyoko as well? On the other hand, if Peko was acting alone, why would she bring Fuyuhiko to the scene?

The only explanation I can think of is that Peko set everything up, but decided she would only carry out the plan if Fuyuhiko showed he wanted to kill Mahiru.

Zareka

Didn't Monokuma (god damn it why didn't they call him Monobear) count the person who used the murder weapon as the blackened? My memory's hazy but I could have sworn that was a rule.

I keep wandering back to thinking about Nagito, and there's one thing I can't wrap my head around: did he have good intentions or not? I mean, sure, he was completely insane, but my opinion jumped back and forth in case 5 about 4 or 5 times. I mean...when you think about it, wanting to get rid of the worlds ultimate despairs isn't the worst thing you could aspire to. But at the same time, he did want to murder a bunch of people who, at the time, believed they were a bunch of victim highschool kids. I can't decide if he was a crazy hero, or just crazy.
Is it just me, or does the art in this image seem really...off?
Bad.
This is an amazing image.

Yamada stay useless.
Who the heck is that green haired guy mirroring Junko?

Alfredo

I honestly always find the art in those scenes very weird, while I love the actual character art and portraits.

I love the case summary art. I instantly fell in love with it in the first game when it depicted Sayaka as the psycho she was. :)

Edit: oh you weren't talking about the case summary art. Whoops.

Jintor

But there seems to be quite a big difference between the "scenes" artwork, like the one posted above, compared to the actual portraits.

Seems like an aftereffect of the difference in style (the weird vaguely painterly thing).

And also composition being just fuuuuuuuuuuuckedddddddddddddddddd.

Actually I wonder if a different artist does the case summary art. That is far and away my favourite DR art.

Meia

I have a question for everyone in regards to their experience with both games.

When you are playing are playing though the game as Hajime or Makoto do you tend to think of it like you are the character? What I mean is that in games with blank slate protagonists (Persona, Pokemon, etc) you tend to associate the character as yourself since you control them and it's easy to place yourself in their mind. With characters like Hajime or Makoto do you get that same feeling? Like when someone insults them do you react like "Oh they just insulted me" or do you think of them more as just another character in the game rather than "your" character.

This is probably going to be a long reply, since other thoughts popped up that relate to what I'll see here, like "Chiaki shouldn't have led on the player so much in trial 5" and "I don't like how different chapter 5 felt."

First, when I play a game like this that has a main character you control, but they're actually their own character, I liken my role as the player to a voice in the characters head. For the most part, I'm along for the ride and seeing events unfold as they do(with some minor exceptions, aka seeing things that character doesn't), and only am there to put them on a path to a good/right end with my own choices. I find this especially true in DR, where no matter what the overall thought is of the other characters, if you run out of health, you're always the one to be found guilty. This idea heavily plays into a lot of things of Case 5.

Second, I want to state what I think Nagito was going for, as it's not as simple necessarily as the game has you believe. Personally, I felt that not only was he trying to kill all of the cast, who he then knows as the Ultimate Despairs, but also to make sure the "traitor", who he knows is part of the Future Foundation, to survive. To him, once he found out about everyone else, the FF became a very different group in his eyes, likely soldiers of Hope. He would NEVER kill someone in that vein, so he sets up a scenario where they'd become the blackened without them necessarily knowing it, so when the rest either choose that Nagito is the blackened due to suicide, or they probably pick at random if they discover the poison the traitor would survive. It's not only a supposedly unsolvable scenario, but also one where the blackened shouldn't feel guilty for becoming so, Nagito took that all upon himself. To that end, the only way he knew this would be possible was to rely again on his Ultimate talent. It's one of the reasons why I really liked the character, as he's one of the only ones in any of the games to actually use their Ultimate ability to any real effect in the actual narrative(also seen with the insane russian roulette part).

Now, we go into Case 5, where we have to guide the cast out and survive, because that's our role. So the case largely plays like it's supposed to, with fostering the "I got it!" feeling that's in every other case of both games up to this point. This even continues once we find out Nagito killed himself. However, we then figure out(likely at a similar time that Chiaki herself discovers) that Nagito actually used someone else to actually do the deed(this is likely what all of the other wounds and stuff was meant to do, draw people away from this fact to further protect the blackened), and this is where this one case in the series changes drastically. It no longer fosters the "I got it!" feeling that usually makes the player feel good about what their doing, but then moves into the one case in the series, surprisingly enough, that actually fills the player with despair. At this point, you're seeing an accident that's about to happen, like two trains on the same track barreling towards each other, but you are completely powerless to stop it. Chiaki realizes it, and cheerily helps you on(hell, she's actually the only one smiling in any of the cases when you shuffle through people to pick as the culprit). It feels bad man, and it's supposed to. Of course, the game is smart enough to know that if the player knew what Nagito knew at this point(about them being Ultimate Despairs), it's hard to imagine any player not wanting to sacrifice the rest of the cast to save Chiaki, so that's why the events happen in the order they do. It makes that revelation in Case 6 hurt all the more...

Of course, Nagito being who is he is, probably figures it's possible for this outcome as well(as nothing is impossible for a soldier of Hope!), so that's why you have existence of the second message. If anything, maybe this much despair could turn into so much Hope that even the Ultimate Despairs could be changed for the better. Ironically, this really does make him also the hero of the game as who knows how case 6 would have went if not for this. :p

PK Gaming

I just wanted to know what your thoughts were on that particular scene were in retrospect, not the janky art.

Saionji_%2815%29.png

For what it's worth, i'm with Jintor. The CG art looks off, but it *feels* right.

I love the case summary art. I instantly fell in love with it in the first game when it depicted Sayaka as the psycho she was. :)

Edit: oh you weren't talking about the case summary art. Whoops.
Yeah, I love the ending minigame, probably the one I like the most, both gameplay and graphic wise. I actually saved the whole "comic" for every case of both DR1 and SDR2. Really like it, and they are also a nice summary of cases.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Nanami_Slaps_Akane.jpg

This scene is a lot heavier in retrospect.

Chiaki: You’re not that kind of person, are you? You’re not the kind of person who could hurt someone else, right? It’s all right ... you’re okay ... everything’s all right ...

Akane now does seem like a kind person (despite her impulsive ways). But yeah, it would make sense for Chiaki to say that to everyone, really.

This is an amazing image.

Yamada stay useless.

You say "useless" but he's factually not. Who else would carry Celes? :v

I like to think this pic is a thing that would happen post-If.

Didn't Monokuma (god damn it why didn't they call him Monobear) count the person who used the murder weapon as the blackened? My memory's hazy but I could have sworn that was a rule.

I keep wandering back to thinking about Nagito, and there's one thing I can't wrap my head around: did he have good intentions or not? I mean, sure, he was completely insane, but my opinion jumped back and forth in case 5 about 4 or 5 times. I mean...when you think about it, wanting to get rid of the worlds ultimate despairs isn't the worst thing you could aspire to. But at the same time, he did want to murder a bunch of people who, at the time, believed they were a bunch of victim highschool kids. I can't decide if he was a crazy hero, or just crazy.

Is it just me, or does the art in this image seem really...off?
Bad.

Who the heck is that green haired guy mirroring Junko?

I believe that would be Mukuro.

And about Nagito, I believe that in a way he always has good intentions, it's just that he's completely fucked up.

The end case summary minigame is awesome and it's all because of the music that plays during it. It's probably my second favorite track behind New World Order.

This is like the only bad CG scene in the whole game. What's up with Chiaki's body/face
Yeah, I've always wondered what really went down in Case 2. If Fuyuhiko just wanted to confront Mahiru, couldn't he have gone to her villa rather than lure her to the beach house? Why lure Hiyoko as well? On the other hand, if Peko was acting alone, why would she bring Fuyuhiko to the scene?

The only explanation I can think of is that Peko set everything up, but decided she would only carry out the plan if Fuyuhiko showed he wanted to kill Mahiru.
d25-540x303.jpg

Hmm, that is indeed a logical explanation!

I don't believe so. It looks like a Danganronpa Zero character (I haven't read it, only seen some of the characters unique to it).

It makes no sense for any Zero characters to be there for multiple reasons.

It's Mukuro, it looks exactly like the machinegun wielding Mukuro that's within the hope students' group.

LX_Theo

Banned
It makes no sense for any Zero characters to be there for multiple reasons.

It's Mukuro, it looks exactly like the machinegun wielding Mukuro that's within the hope students' group.

... No. The one mirroring Junko does not look like Mukuro. In fact, I see Mukuro down next to Toko holding a rifle. Mukuro's hair isn't that spiky or has that shape anyways.

I don't know why he'd be in there. Could be anything. Is is fanart, no?

Well if I'm wrong and the author intended that to be Matsuda then I'm wrong.

Maybe it's just me but the face looks somewhat feminine to me tho.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
will we ever get an official Zero release for the US, seeing as how it's really important to understand some things

Rubedo

will we ever get an official Zero release for the US, seeing as how it's really important to understand some things

Is it that important though? I've read it and I can't think if any important information you couldn't infer from what they tell you in DR1 and DR2.

Zareka

I honestly always find the art in those scenes very weird, while I love the actual character art and portraits.

Yeah, the sprites etc were great, but the CG scenes always looked really strange. Fuyuhiko's head looked really weird to me in that CG that showed Peko killing Mahiru.
*huge paragraph about best guy Nagito*
And about Nagito, I believe that in a way he always has good intentions, it's just that he's completely fucked up.

God damn it, Nagito is the best character in this entire god damn series. I'm constantly amazed at how well executed (heuheu) and written his character is. I'm entirely convinced he's the most well intention character of DR2 but at the same time he's completely insane. I can't decide whether it'd be better to love him or hate him.
I LOVE HIM.
the guy mirroring junko is a DR0 character, his name is in the tags
Ah okay, thank you. I thought it was Mukuro at first but then I saw her with the AR in the main group. Could not for the life of me remember another character.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

We could bug Yen Press about it. They've had quite a bit of success with Spice and Wolf and Sword Art Online light novel sales. This is a game property, but maybe they could take a chance on it? Including the manga too. I'd buy them all :x

Looks like Youtube is now completely unsafe once again. Some of my liked videos have some AE spoilers right in the sidebar :/

Darn, good to know though. I just hope it gets a quick localization before I get spoiled anything, again >_> NISA should be having their fall localization list for next year soon... hopefully. I think it's around Oct/Nov when they do it.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Looks like Youtube is now completely unsafe once again. Some of my liked videos have some AE spoilers right in the sidebar :/

I though Spike asked people to NOT upload videos to youtube for this reason.

I mean, that's not going to stop people, but I think they have been removing videos.

Squire

Banned

When you are playing are playing though the game as Hajime or Makoto do you tend to think of it like you are the character? What I mean is that in games with blank slate protagonists (Persona, Pokemon, etc) you tend to associate the character as yourself since you control them and it's easy to place yourself in their mind. With characters like Hajime or Makoto do you get that same feeling? Like when someone insults them do you react like "Oh they just insulted me" or do you think of them more as just another character in the game rather than "your" character.

I think both Makoto and Hajime are defined characters with their own arcs. I recognize that I'm playing them - they're my vehicles, you could say - but other than that, they are characters same as anyone else.

Makoto I feel just has very weak characterization up until he shows up in DR2 (he's goddamn awesome in DR2). It's like they took the Shinji Iksri trope (not sure of the proper term for that type of protagonist) and didn't really do anything to subvert it.

Hajime is the total antithesis to that. He's frustrated, he's skeptical, he's anxious; he's got a huge lack of confidence and yet, he doesn't just stew. His character has a full arc, but to start they give him a backbone that Makoto just never had, so he's immediately more compelling, I think.

ss-hikaru

We could bug Yen Press about it. They've had quite a bit of success with Spice and Wolf and Sword Art Online light novel sales. This is a game property, but maybe they could take a chance on it? Including the manga too. I'd buy them all :x

Outta all the NA manga publishers I think Yen Press would be the best bet. They've even started the Yen On light novel imprint and have licensed a fair few game/gaming related titles. Okay! I'm gonna start suggesting Zero to them now :p

Jintor

Hajime definitely more likable than Makoto. Not sure why, probably his neurotic mix of anxiety but still having a spine

Musolf815

God damn it, Nagito is the best character in this entire god damn series. I'm constantly amazed at how well executed (heuheu) and written his character is. I'm entirely convinced he's the most well intention character of DR2 but at the same time he's completely insane. I can't decide whether it'd be better to love him or hate him.
I LOVE HIM.

Like, it's been weeks since I beat the game and I'm still debating if Nagito was well intentioned, and I'm leaning towards yes. I wonder if replaying the game knowing that it's a simulation will make me see him differently. He's probably the best written character in a game I've seen all year, just phenomenal stuff. Even his art and name is pretty brilliant.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Hajime definitely more likable than Makoto. Not sure why, probably his neurotic mix of anxiety but still having a spine

Well that's more so that Hajime is like the Supreme Being of Hope while Makoto is just the understudy.

Squire

Banned

I definitely think so. Like, between Hajime and the entirety of Chapter 6, I feel like they took the stuff people remember most from Evangelion and made it actually good instead of just bonkers to be that way.

Nah, I don't think I'm Makoto or Hajime, since they have different reactions than me, are their own characters, have their own way of thinking, etc.
I think both Makoto and Hajime are defined characters with their own arcs. I recognize that I'm playing them - they're my vehicles, you could say - but other than that, they are characters same as anyone else.

Makoto I feel just has very weak characterization up until he shows up in DR2 (he's goddamn awesome in DR2). It's like they took the Shinji Iksri trope (not sure of the proper term for that type of protagonist) and didn't really do anything to subvert it.

Hajime is the total antithesis to that. He's frustrated, he's skeptical, he's anxious; he's got a huge lack of confidence and yet, he doesn't just stew. His character has a full arc, but to start they give him a backbone that Makoto just never had, so he's immediately more compelling, I think.
Wow, that's the perfect way to describe them! Nice explanation.

Jintor

I definitely think so. Like, between Hajime and the entirety of Chapter 6, I feel like they took the stuff people remember most from Evangelion and made it actually good instead of just bonkers to be that way.

No-one exploded into liquid goo so I'm calling bullshit on your eva comparison
lol

I think Hajime's whole final showdown was also a lot cooler than Makoto's.

Rapid fire the future is cooler than just shooting giant hope.

Squire

Banned
Nah, I don't think I'm Makoto or Hajime, since they have different reactions than me, are their own characters, have their own way of thinking, etc.

Wow, that's the perfect way to describe them! Nice explanation.

Thanks!

No-one exploded into liquid goo so I'm calling bullshit on your eva comparison
lol

Hahaha

I think Hajime's whole final showdown was also a lot cooler than Makoto's.

Rapid fire the future is cooler than just shooting giant hope.

I kinda feel like basically every move Hajime made was better and more interesting than Makoto.

As much I love that's he's got a backbone and is much better at finding and connecting clues than Makoto, his neuroticism is really what makes him. His internal monologue is written incredibly well. You can really empathize with him.

Top Bottom