• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Busaiku

The epilogue and the Ultimate Despair stuff did make it seem like Hajime and the others really were just sideliners though.

Vylash

The epilogue and the Ultimate Despair stuff did make it seem like Hajime and the others really were just sideliners though.

Well obviously, Makoto and the Future Foundation are the main players, but everyone else will have very important roles to play

also

BzO-N9CCIAAfIYJ.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hiro to just be an order of fries with his face as the french fry holder.

inb4 Mondo as Pancakes w/ butter

PK Gaming

I think both Makoto and Hajime are defined characters with their own arcs. I recognize that I'm playing them - they're my vehicles, you could say - but other than that, they are characters same as anyone else.

Makoto I feel just has very weak characterization up until he shows up in DR2 (he's goddamn awesome in DR2). It's like they took the Shinji Iksri trope (not sure of the proper term for that type of protagonist) and didn't really do anything to subvert it.

Hajime is the total antithesis to that. He's frustrated, he's skeptical, he's anxious; he's got a huge lack of confidence and yet, he doesn't just stew. His character has a full arc, but to start they give him a backbone that Makoto just never had, so he's immediately more compelling, I think.

Well said

While I was fond of Makoto, I felt that they made him too ordinary, to a point where he was actually difficult to relate to. On the other hand, Hajime comes across as a distinct individual with own fair share of problems (most of which are quite relatable).

tE3deFR.png

Because when you get right down to it, Hajime is someone who wants to be special.

...Worthy

...Equal to the Ultimates he had admired

...Someone worth being proud of

I like that. Wanting to be special is a a very human desire. I like how his obsession with Hope's Peak led him to being a reserve course student. I like how things didn't go well for him, and how he lost control of his life when he got caught up in the Despair nonsense/Izuru. Unlike Makoto, Hajime feels like a character you can root for. Someone you can actually relate to. I appreciate how he's noticeably more assertive than Makoto. And while he might not be as smart as Nagito or Chiaki, he's always able to keep up with them (and in some cases, find a truth that they can't). Speaking of Izuru, I love how he personafies the idea that simply having a talent
doesn't necessarily make your life better.

I also appreciate how his reactions to certain events are much more in line with that of a regular person as opposed to Makoto, as seen here:

spVhOpW.png

(In which Hajime proceeds to walk off in disgust after Nagito feeds him spurious drivel)

It's a huge departure from Makoto's "friends shouldn't fight!" mentality.

PS: Makoto's JP VA is Megumi Ogata (Shinji Ikari's VA, hehe)

Squire

Banned
Equally well put.

I'm glad you included that art of Hajime at his desk. I think that was the moment - that dream - when I really understood Hajime; his motivations and what the game was trying to do with him.

He's infinitely relatable. He's the every man, but not as we know him, typically; In different, interesting ways we can actually relate to.

The voice casting for Makoto is what has me convinced they intentionally tried to evoke memories of Shinji. Shinji just... isn't that great though. Like, he's kind of repulsive. And I get that that's probably the point, but... Well, whatever. It's not the EVA spoiler thread.

makoto chapter 1 was the most emotionally involved of either main character, however he brushes it to the side a bit to quickly imo

I think makoto around chapter 4 or 5, as he really started to work closely with kyouko, became much less of a blank slate and more of his own character. There was just a stretch in the middle where he was just an answer guy.

I felt a lot of hajime was the same way, except early chapters I didnt get much out of him outside of interactions with crazy nagito. He got a lot better around the time they were character assassinating chiaki with the AI thing

Rubedo

makoto chapter 1 was the most emotionally involved of either main character, however he brushes it to the side a bit to quickly imo

I think makoto around chapter 4 or 5, as he really started to work closely with kyouko, became much less of a blank slate and more of his own character. There was just a stretch in the middle where he was just an answer guy.

I felt a lot of hajime was the same way, except early chapters I didnt get much out of him outside of interactions with crazy nagito. He got a lot better around the time they were character assassinating chiaki with the AI thing

I think that's the point. They didn't want to characterize Makoto too much because he's supposed to be the standard generic protagonist anyone can substitute with themselves. Outside of his interactions with Sayaka and the last two chapters where he starts to become an actual character, his feelings and actions are just so general that it makes it easy for anyone of any personality to meld their identity with that of the person they are experiencing it through.

Hajime wasn't as open-ended and generic as he actually had character traits where not everyone could as easily just substitute themselves in. But luckily his inner thoughts and personality matched up closely with mine so I ended up being able to meld with him just as well anyway until around Chapter 6 when get more of his backstory and he starts becoming more of his own character rather than just "you".

Jisgsaw

So after exactly a month, I finaly finished this.

Only thing I didn't quite follow (sorry if it was already answered): do we learn wo Mikan's "beloved" is/was?
I was thinking Junko, obviously, but I'm pretty sure she reffered to her beloved as "him", or do I remember that wrong?

Vylash

So after exactly a month, I finaly finished this.

Only thing I didn't quite follow (sorry if it was already answered): do we learn wo Mikan's "beloved" is/was?
I was thinking Junko, obviously, but I'm pretty sure she reffered to her beloved as "him", or do I remember that wrong?

99 percent chance it's Junko, yes

As I recall, they went out of their way not to specify the gender of the "beloved", using "they" instead of he or she, so it seems quite obvious that it was Junko. I mean they were all fully devoted to Junko, planning to give their lives for the resurrection of the Ultimate Despair.

Squire

Banned
As I recall, they went out of their way not to specify the gender of the "beloved", using "they" instead of he or she, so it seems quite obvious that it was Junko. I mean they were all fully devoted to Junko, planning to give their lives for the resurrection of the Ultimate Despair.

It makes that reveal so much better in retrospect. What the group saw in Mikan at that point was who each one if them really was underneath. The disease made the others the opposite of who they were, but Mikan, it just reverted her back to who she was outside the game: Ultimate Despair.

It makes that reveal so much better in retrospect. What the group saw in Mikan at that point was who each one if them really was underneath. The disease made the others the opposite of who they were, but Mikan, it just reverted her back to who she was outside the game: Ultimate Despair.
its actually perfect foreshadowing, i kinda figured it out but wasnt sure

its also part of what annoyed me about DR2, the motives. Every motive was so forced, guaranteeing a kill, whereas danganronpa 1 motives were so much more subtle, just junko seeing who she would make crack, compared to AI junko basically setting up exactly who would crack

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For some reason I thought the surviving cast of DR1 went to the world of DR2 and disguised themselves as students to help the trapped students. The equivalents I thought up were:

Asahina = Aoi
Makoto = Nagito
Byakuya = Byakuya
Kyoko = Peko

LX_Theo

Banned

its also part of what annoyed me about DR2, the motives. Every motive was so forced, guaranteeing a kill, whereas danganronpa 1 motives were so much more subtle, just junko seeing who she would make crack, compared to AI junko basically setting up exactly who would crack

That was the point no? DR1 was being broadcast to make a point. If they were motives that forced the issue, you wouldn't be able to get across the point Junko wanted to. In DR2, forcing the issue was fine since she wanted everyone to die and it only made the bait for the Future Foundation more powerful.

FluxWaveZ

For some reason I thought the surviving cast of DR1 went to the world of DR2 and disguised themselves as students to help the trapped students. The equivalents I thought up were:

Asahina = Aoi
Makoto = Nagito
Byakuya = Byakuya
Kyoko = Peko

I think a lot of people though the same (in that they represented some of the survivors of the DR1 cast), at least for the first three. Kyoko/Peko is kinda out there, though, heh.

That was the point no? DR1 was being broadcast to make a point. If they were motives that forced the issue, you wouldn't be able to get across the point Junko wanted to. In DR2, forcing the issue was fine since she wanted everyone to die and it only made the bait for the Future Foundation more powerful.
regardless of the point, it was still far less interesting

Squire

Banned

I just said the bolded on Twitter a while ago.

I disagree about the motives though. In DR1 I felt like each motive was designed to make a specific person crack. It felt like in each chapter a character gave in to their deepest darkest vice.

In DR2 I think the motives are always broad, incredibly sinister, genius just from a creative/story telling point if view, and when the culprit is finally revealed, the reasons why they did what they did are always so heartbreaking and tragic.

FluxWaveZ

In DR2 I think the motives are always broad, incredibly sinister, genius just from a creative/story telling point if view, and when the culprit is finally revealed, the reasons why they did what they did are always so heartbreaking and tragic.

You're the first person I've seen say the motives in DR2 were more general than DR1's. I'm not sure how, because most murders were specifically planned, targeted and forced by Junko. Take case 2: the video game only really involved a handful of the cast. None of the motives in DR1 were like that, because they always implied every single person. It was their nature: to be psychologically affecting to cause despair. Their purpose in DR2, on the other hand, was to simply kill everyone off asap (hence the timer), and I think it did a good job of reflecting that.

Vylash

I just said the bolded on Twitter a while ago.

I disagree about the motives though. In DR1 I felt like each motive was designed to make a specific person crack. It felt like in each chapter a character gave in to their deepest darkest vice.

The motives were so broad that I don't really think it was to target any specific person, but just to force someone, anyone, to kill. Things like greed and secrets are things that can get most people to crack

Meanwhile in 2, the motives were usually targeted to a specific person, Twilight Murder Syndrome is the best example of this

Squire

Banned
You're the first person I've seen say the motives in DR2 were more general than DR1's. I'm not sure how, because most murders were specifically planned, targeted and forced by Junko. Take case 2: the video game only really involved a handful of the cast. None of the motives in DR1 were like that, because they always implied every single person. It was their nature: to be psychologically affecting to cause despair. Their purpose in DR2, on the other hand, was to simply kill everyone off asap (hence the timer), and I think it did a good job of reflecting that.

They were certainly broader, if nothing more. The disease, the game, the funhouse; You're in a group and all the motives felt like they were simply aimed at the group as a whole. I didn't get the sense at all that Junko was setting up specific characters to fail. None of her dialogue in chapter 6 conveyed that, as far as I can remember. She was happy to simply plant the seeds of despair and pick whichever flowers just happened to bloom.

Case 2 I will admit was very specific, but it still concerned a group of people and it twisted in a way I don't think Junko predicted.

I still think that Case 4's motive was brilliant in retrospect. Junko was actively trying to kill the students, but she couldn't directly get involved with them. Solution? Concoct a scenario in which at least two deaths are guaranteed no matter what, as well as buying herself several more days in which to hack the system.

Case 4 is my favourite case overall, and the motive was definitely a major contributing factor.

Jintor

I think overall Case Four is my favourite (though as I mentioned before I think it could be improved even further!) even if Case Five's plot is fucking ASTOUNDING.

One of the best things about SDR2 was that I successfully avoided every single possible spoiler for the game (except that Fat Byakuya was in it). Hell, for a long time I thought Chiaki was the main protagonist and that Peko was the helper character.

look at the disease, it gave mikan her memory back, when AI junko decided that the disease affect could restore memory, who she chose to give memory back to was guaranteed to kill

case 4 was good because the motive was generic enough that anyone could kill, though I still didnt like how it forced the murder as opposed to DR1 just coaxing them. I realize the purpose was clearly different with AI junko needing the murders, as opposed to them being for show, I jsut think it made things less interesting.

I think my favorite case then is case 5 due to nagitos crazy scheme, however chiaki being an AI sours that case for me a bit, woulda rather her just been a future foundation member that was put in the system to work with them. I hate AI twists...

My favorite trial though is 2, only because of how emotional the ending was, shit got to me like very little else ever has

Squire

Banned
Case 2 is definitely my favorite. It killed my favorite character, but it had such an interesting motive and a tragic finish. I wasn't even mad in the end, I just felt awful for everyone involved.

And it pretty much started what I might say is the most satisfying character arc in the whole game in Fuyuhiko. Absolutely best implementation of the "lone wolf" trope that I can personally recall.

Case 2 is definitely my favorite. It killed my favorite character, but it had such an interesting motive and a tragic finish. I wasn't even mad in the end, I just felt awful for everyone involved.

And it pretty much started what I might say is the most satisfying character arc in the whole game in Fuyuhiko. Absolutely best implementation of the "lone wolf" trope that I can personally recall.
im sure there are others that I enjoyed, but fuyuhiko towers so far above them that I cant honestly think of any...

whoever created that scene, as it flicked back and forth between fuyuhiko and monokuma is an asshole, a brilliant glorious asshole

Busaiku

I still think that Case 4's motive was brilliant in retrospect. Junko was actively trying to kill the students, but she couldn't directly get involved with them. Solution? Concoct a scenario in which at least two deaths are guaranteed no matter what, as well as buying herself several more days in which to hack the system.

Case 4 is my favourite case overall, and the motive was definitely a major contributing factor.

OceanBlue

I can't get past how crazy Chapter 5 was, so it was my favorite. My next favorite was Chapter 2 though, for similar reasons as everyone else.

Meia

My favorite chapter was 3, as it just crushed my soul. Mikan was probably the character that had the most unfair shit done to her it wasn't funny. She's shit on before coming to Hope's Peak, probably is in it which is why she becomes a despair(and falls for Junko who probably figured out the easiest way to get her on her side was to, ya know, be nice to her), and then even on the island gets shit on by that annoying girl who can't even tie her own kimono knot, until finally having all possibilities of choice removed from her via the "disease". That case infuriated me to no end.

Meia

How were her choices limited by the disease?

She went back to her old self when she got it, it's not something was given to her as a choice.

In case 6, everyone is given that decision to stay as they are now, or go back to being despairs. This choice isn't given to Mikan, it's forced upon her. Mikan, for all intents and purposes, is killed before the husk that is Mikan kills Ibuki and the other one.

Meia

Funnily enough, the idea of Peko from case 2 and her only being a "tool" is precisely what happens with Mikan in case 3. It can easily be said that Junko was the killer in case 3, using Mikan as a tool to kill Ibuki all in the name of Despair. If we can say that poison killed Nagito because he wouldn't have dropped the spear, then we can say Junko killed Ibuki. She of course killed Mikan the second she flipped that switch.

Busaiku

But in the case of the last few characters, it wasn't clear to them whether or not they would go back to being Ultimate Despair or not, losing their memories of their experience in the VR world.
Mikan never lost her memory of the experience, she's just too far gone.

Squire

Banned
She went back to her old self when she got it, it's not something was given to her as a choice.

In case 6, everyone is given that decision to stay as they are now, or go back to being despairs. This choice isn't given to Mikan, it's forced upon her. Mikan, for all intents and purposes, is killed before the husk that is Mikan kills Ibuki and the other one.

Yes, yes.

Drink in the despair.

Top Bottom