• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

ss-hikaru

She did the ending songs too?? Mind is blown again...

I wish my other favorite Megumi (Hayashibara) could get on board for being a VA and doing music for the game. That would be... too perfect!

Even more impressive that she managed to sing them in a way that suited their respective characters! (at least IMO) And I think she wrote the lyrics to the DR1 ending song....but don't quote me on that.

Wow that's a name I haven't seen in a while :p

OMG Aero

celeste made me mad, I really liked her then she goes off an murders 2 people...just like sayaka infuriated me when her plan came to light. The fact that I care though is why its so good.
I never really understood why Celeste killed people anyway. Her motive was the money so she could buy her castle right? Was being the ultimate gambler not paying enough?

OceanBlue

I never really understood why Celeste killed people anyway. Her motive was the money so she could buy her castle right? Was being the ultimate gambler not paying enough?

It's been a while so I don't remember a lot about DR1, but weren't they starting to accept that they would never be rescued around this point? For her, it might have been choosing between taking a gamble to achieve her dream or staying stuck in the academy forever. If I remember correctly, she was pretty confident that she would be able to get away with it too.

On one hand, it could have had nothing to do with the motive at all. She could have been planning a murder since the beginning, driven either by her desire to escape or, being the Ultimate Gambler, wanting to take risks and outplay others at the game.

On the other hand, we don't really know what her actual life conditions were. It's likely that she has plenty of cash, as it's part of her profession, but she also habitually lied and made up stories about herself. It's possible that a stroke of bad luck hit her and she built up a gambling debt she was in need of repaying.

PK Gaming

She explicitly explains her motive shortly before being executed

Celeste: From the moment our life began, my only thought has been escape.

Celeste: I couldn't take it! I hated it from day one!

Celeste: More than anyone anyone ANYONE else in here!

Celeste: I wanted to get out! Every day was fresh torture!

Celeste: And accepting life here would have meant nothing less than giving up on my dream forever. And there was no way... I could do that.

Celeste: (explains her vampire harem dream)

Celeste: Combined with my own winnings, Monokuma's ten million dollars would have made that dream a reality.

In short:

GpWxOeK.png

yea, I thought she made it pretty clear...I liked her until that point, I should've seen it coming.

at least she didnt kill any awesome characters, unlike Mikan

It's been a while so I don't remember a lot about DR1, but weren't they starting to accept that they would never be rescued around this point? For her, it might have been choosing between taking a gamble to achieve her dream or staying stuck in the academy forever. If I remember correctly, she was pretty confident that she would be able to get away with it too.

Just by the very notion she was able to convince somebody that her plan was a good idea means she would have gotten away with it.

Hey, go kill someone, then pretend you are dead, move the body around, I'll kill someone, more body swapping and we can all get free, woo!

yea, I thought she made it pretty clear...I liked her until that point, I should've seen it coming.

we're no longer friends

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly I disliked most of the DR1 cast, except Sayaka, Junko, Byakuya, Chihiro, Genocide Jill, and Aoi.
Especially Hifumi and Hiro.

Honestly I disliked most of the DR1 cast, except Sayaka, Junko, Byakuya, Chihiro, Genocide Jill, and Aoi.
Especially Hifumi and Hiro.
i find the casts overall to be about equal, except kyoko is way better than everyone else

surviving cast from DR1 is far better than DR2 though

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I don't think Kazuichi was the one into the necrophilia.
The one shooting up the people has his hat.

fszqqkT.png

Who's the one that starved himself/herself and the ones who killed his/her parents?

The eyeless guy is obv. Kirigiri.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Who's the one that starved himself/herself and the ones who killed his/her parents?

The eyeless guy is obv. Kirigiri.
Akane is probably the one that starved, considering how much she eats, so starving would be considered the ultimate despair to her. By process of elimination, Sonia seems to be the one who sold her parents or whatver.

Squire

Banned
Maybe it's Hinata in the bottom pic 0_o

He's in a lab at that point.

Mikan was probably the one that had sex with Junko's corpse.
It doesn't have to be the 5 remaining.

If the original Japanese related to doing something with a woman's ovaries than yes, I would guess Mikan.

It doesn't have to be, but I'm pretty sure it's the last five. They all match up pretty well.

Busaiku

I didn't really get much into Sonia's social links, and the Wiki doesn't say much, but is there any indication as to why she could've become Ultimate Despair?
And assuming that top image is of her, given the events of the game, I don't see why she would want to go into regicide.

Everyone else I can imagine, but not her.
At least based on the Wiki.

Vylash

I didn't really get much into Sonia's social links, and the Wiki doesn't say much, but is there any indication as to why she could've become Ultimate Despair?
And assuming that top image is of her, given the events of the game, I don't see why she would want to go into regicide.

she was kidnapped a lot as a kid so...

She basically has a mini-breakdown at her last free time event over the pressures of being trapped on the island. Basically being a princess is probably an extreme toll on her in keeping her appearances as the image of her kingdom. Sounds like an easy target for despair.

One possible reason could be that by giving Junko the thing that's basically causing her stress, she could be free of such a thing or something like that.

i think that the people depicted there are most likely randoms and not any of our 16.

However if I were line them up id guess this

Starve - Akane
Parents - Sonia
Shooting - Kazuichi
Eye - Fuyuhiko
Necro - Izuru (We dont really know much of what hajime was like during this period, other than he seemed to look down on people and murdered some very important people. Could be likely the only person he didnt look down on was junko and that led to this)

PK Gaming

Celeste's true motivations made her an almost repulsive character. A liar and a schemer. Yuck.

Excluding Junko and possibly Mukuro, she probably had the least empathy between 2 the casts.

What did you expect? That's literally her character, I don't even think we know her real name

Her real name is Taeko Yasuhiro.

EDIT: Knowing Junko, she probably massacred every single person in Nosovelic.

Isn't the starved one like, dead? I know their bodies are messed up but that looks like a mummified corpse.

This, along with the inconsistency with the hair colour/style makes me believe there's no way that's Akane. The person pictured there is either dead as a doornail or far beyond any help (starved people have died before due to their shrivelled stomachs being incapable of containing the amount of food required for them to continue living).

And yeah, I don't necessarily think that the five pictured need to line up with any of the students we know. Wasn't it Fake-oto that told them about those events anyways? For all we know, Junko could've invented those details to make the group doubt themselves and feel like sacks of crap.

kewlmyc

Talkin' shit about Ishimaru?

And yeah, I like Celeste's design and personality, but she's just a terrible overall human being. I'm not sure who had the worst reason for killing someone, her or Mikan (Junko's too obvious, so she doesn't count).

Squire

Banned

And yeah, I like Celeste's design and personality, but she's just a terrible overall human being. I'm not sure who had the worst reason for killing someone, her or Mikan (Junko's too obvious, so she doesn't count).

Mikan? Mikan lost control of herself. That's s preeeeeetty good reason methinks.

kewlmyc

Mikan? Mikan lost control of herself. That's s preeeeeetty good reason methinks.

Losing control of herself and reverting back to how she was before the memory wipe are two different things in my opinion. After reverting to her pre-mindwipe self, she purposely killed two people to further Junko's goals. It's pretty heinous.

Edit: That said, the rest of the cast would have done the same if they got their memories back at that time, so it doesn't really compare to Celeste I guess.

I think the only reason Mikan gets flak for her two murders was that she killed Ibuki. Hell, if she just snapped under Hiyoko's constant bullying and only murdered her, everyone would probably be like yeah that's fine, she deserved it.

There's also that whole despair disease too which probably why most people think her motive is too flimsily to be acceptable.

But yeah, Celeste's motive was the worst reason for a murder and the least sympathetic one out of everyone. Let her burn.

FluxWaveZ

I don't even recall why Mondo killed Chihiro. Because his manliness was insulted or something?

They're all murderers, in the end.

Squire

Banned
Losing control of herself and reverting back to how she was before the memory wipe are two different things in my opinion. After reverting to her pre-mindwipe self, she purposely killed two people to further Junko's goals. It's pretty heinous.

Edit: That said, the rest of the cast would have done the same if they got their memories back at that time, so it doesn't really compare to Celeste I guess.

Glad you see where I'm coming from.

I don't even recall why Mondo killed Chihiro. Because his manliness was insulted or something?

That's extremely reductive.

Moment of weakness.

Mondo basically saw that Chihiro was doing everything he couldn't do. Willing to spill out his secret, attempting to change himself to overcome it, it pretty much caused him to snap.

Sure, he isn't all that high in the sympathetic murderers but he gets points since he didn't really attempt to hide his murder and even attempted to keep Chihiro's secret after his death.

Yasumi

Banned
He's in a lab at that point.
*AE spoilers*
He was still running around at that time.
If the original Japanese related to doing something with a woman's ovaries than yes, I would guess Mikan.

It doesn't have to be, but I'm pretty sure it's the last five. They all match up pretty well.
The Japanese text doesn't mention any ovaries. Going literal, it's something like, "Also, Junko's remains were utilized for the purpose of making children and..." Then Hajime cuts in. It's kind of vague in both languages.

Since the person in the picture is the mysterious culprit person, it really could be anybody.
The culprit in that particular case was Izuru though...

FluxWaveZ

That's extremely reductive.

So? It's also true.

Moment of weakness.

That's what it comes down to. He killed Chihiro because of his own weakness.

I feel like Gundham's murder is justified if they were all going to die if he didn't do something.

Yeah, that's the only one I could point to and say "this was justified." They were all going to die anyways if Gundham/Nekomaru didn't take action.

PK Gaming

It was due to a couple of reasons. Mondo inadvertently got his brother killed, and used that death as a stepping stone to keep his biker gang together. It was essentially a constant reminder of his "weakness", and the death that it caused. When Chihiro told him about his desire to get stronger, he became intensely jealous of Chihiro for being able to overcome his weakness by himself. That, in addition to the inevitable fact that if a murder hadn't occurred, the truth regarding his brother's death would come to light (I think Monokuma said something along the lines of shouting their secrets to the outside world?) caused him to snap.

Vylash

you guys are crazy, Celeste's motive was the best

Sayaka: I NEED TO SEE MY FRIENDS!
Mondo: I'M STILL TOO WEAK!
Celeste: HUSBANDOS!

Top Bottom