• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Jisgsaw

It makes that reveal so much better in retrospect. What the group saw in Mikan at that point was who each one if them really was underneath. The disease made the others the opposite of who they were, but Mikan, it just reverted her back to who she was outside the game: Ultimate Despair.

Actually, do you think the examples Makoto gave of what Ultimate Despairs did are actual example o what the cast of DR2 actually did? Wouldn't make much sense if we only know what Nagito did.
I'd have to whatch that part again, but a few possibilities:

Starve = Akane
Take Junko's Eye = Fuyuhiko
Have sex with dead Junko = Kazuichi

Oh holy shit. That was the first hint, wasn't it?

I'd rather say the first hint was Nagito, who jumps to random crazyness quite early in the game.
Second hint was tha game in chapter 2.

Actually, do you think the examples Makoto gave of what Ultimate Despairs did are actual example o what the cast of DR2 actually did? Wouldn't make much sense if we only know what Nagito did.

Starve = Akane

INFINITY UNLIMITED FLAME!

oaVqpdv.gif

Let's humour your theory for a moment and assume that all of the Ultimate Despairs pictured in that CG correspond to characters from the game. If this is the case, then two of your designation can be nothing but SHADOWS which OBSCURE THE LIGHT OF TRUTH!

How can Akane be the one who starved herself if the hair length, hair colour and body structure do not even come close to matching hers? And why in the name of Pandemonium would you assume that Kazuichi is the one who became intimate with Junko's corpse when it's far more likely that he's the one shooting pedestrians in a different panel of the very same CG! The figure depicted in said panel is even shown to be wearing a beanie of the same shape and colour as Kazuichi's!

Jisgsaw

Let's humour your theory for a moment and assume that all of the Ultimate Despairs pictured in that CG correspond to characters from the game. If this is the case, then two of your designation can be nothing but SHADOWS which OBSCURE THE LIGHT OF TRUTH!

How can Akane be the one who starved herself if the hair length, hair colour and body structure do not even come close to matching hers? And why in the name of Pandemonium would you assume that Kazuichi is the one who became intimate with Junko's corpse when it's far more likely that he's the one shooting pedestrians in a different panel of the very same CG! The figure depicted in said panel is even shown to be wearing a beanie of the same shape and colour as Kazuichi's!

Hair length isn't really a problem, what with the time skip of 2 to 3 years. Colour and constitution can be affected by the starving. And it would fit her quite well for her "despair" action, seeing the glutton she was before she was overtook by despair.
For Kazuichi, as I said, I don't remember every panel. I just take him for quite a perv, so why not? ^^

Hair length isn't really a problem, what with the time skip of 2 to 3 years. Colour and constitution can be affected by the starving. And it would fit her quite well for her "despair" action, seeing the glutton she was before she was overtook by despair.
For Kazuichi, as I said, I don't remember every panel. I just take him for quite a perv, so why not? ^^
It's also important to take into consideration that there's some debate about the "having sex with Junko's corpse" translation. Some are saying the more accurate translation would be that someone tried to use her ovaries to have babies in their own body. (Implying a female.)

So out of some level of boredom and with 3.30 showing trophies % gets, here's from highest to lowest, the % people maxed out characters free time events as shown by them getting the respective trophy:

1. Chiaki - 42.8%
2. Sonia - 31.8%
3. Akane - 28.0%
4. Mikan - 27.8%
5. Ibuki - 26.1%
6. Gundham - 25.1%
7. Peko - 22.2%
8. Nagito - 22.2%
9. Mahiru - 21.9%
10. Hiyoko - 21.2%
11. Fuyuhiko - 20.5%
12. Nekomaru - 20.4%
13. Byakuya - 20.0%
14. Kazuichi - 19.6%
15. Teruteru - 18.2%

It's interesting and fitting that Kazuichi is only ahead of the first murderer and the first victim and he pretty available almost all the time for free events. (That's cause no one likes you)

It makes sense that Akane and Sonia are among the highest since they're the most readily available from beginning to end.

Although Kazuichi is also a survivor, you must talk to him after chapter 4 to finish his FTE. That isn't a big window of opportunity.

Meia

But in the case of the last few characters, it wasn't clear to them whether or not they would go back to being Ultimate Despair or not, losing their memories of their experience in the VR world.
Mikan never lost her memory of the experience, she's just too far gone.

They were still given a choice: To go back to the people they were before they entered the Island(which from most accounts were horrible people, something that's sort of proven when Hajime starts getting flashes of himself speaking to Nagito on the boat over), or to stay on the Island, and remain their past selves pre-Junko. This was a decision they all had to come to(after all, none of them would have gotten out unless all of them voted a specific way).

Mikan got a "disease", and there was no decision allowed to be made for her, it was done. She never killed anyone, she was killed by Junko the second she got that disease, and then murdered other people. The game itself hinges on the idea that these kids pre-Hope's Peak and what they became after are vastly different people. The Mikan we the players got to know died the second she got the disease.

Jintor

Actually, you could maybe argue that that whole thing was a weird plot hole from a rules standpoint, because the teacher in charge (the Admin-level Observer, so to speak) wasn't permitted to interfere with the students directly, and the Despair Disease was definitely a direct manipulation of their psych data. Junko Ego even says explicitly that she couldn't modify the pre-existing rules, only add new ones (write-only but not overwrite-capable? Weird!) I guess you might be able to argue that the disease was indirect, but that seems unlikely.

Busaiku

Gundham's skill is also the only one advertised during the game, so that's probably why more people prioritized his over others.
That was why I did at least.

Squire

Banned

Starve = Akane

Oh yeah, for s-

oaVqpdv.gif

Hinata_%2812%29.png

Well, I'm certainly not going to challenge the King of Hell, himself.

Squire

Banned
Derek Stephen Prince legit has the best voice performance In a game this year so far as Fuyuhiko.

Edit: Btw, I feel like for the short time she was around, they absolutely nailed Junko in this game. Excellent lines with delivery to match. The returning cast from DR1 in Chapter 6 was so cool.

Gundam's VA should win some kind of award.

A spiky award.

From hell.

His only two credited roles thus far are Gundam and Abdul from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

God dang it, I would've given both my kidneys to have a VA career half as prolific as his newborn one.

I think the English VA was excellent across the board, just like the first game.

This, along with Akiba's Trip, have the best dubs of the year IMO.

Busaiku

They were still given a choice: To go back to the people they were before they entered the Island(which from most accounts were horrible people, something that's sort of proven when Hajime starts getting flashes of himself speaking to Nagito on the boat over), or to stay on the Island, and remain their past selves pre-Junko. This was a decision they all had to come to(after all, none of them would have gotten out unless all of them voted a specific way).

Mikan got a "disease", and there was no decision allowed to be made for her, it was done. She never killed anyone, she was killed by Junko the second she got that disease, and then murdered other people. The game itself hinges on the idea that these kids pre-Hope's Peak and what they became after are vastly different people. The Mikan we the players got to know died the second she got the disease.

But again, she ended up in the same situation the others did at the end of the game.
She still had her memories of her time there.
The difference with her was that her situation wasn't any different than before, which is why she became Ultimate Despair in the first place.

Jintor

Absolutely. Absolutely. Fantastic dubbing all around.

Fuyuhiko's performance is really incredible. So is Junko's. So fashionista.

Squire

Banned
Junko was seriously incredible. I think the fact it was almost exclusively Amanda Miller this time helped a lot. Erin is great, but Junko has sooooo much more consistency in both her voice and her lines in DR2. I'm so happy they gave the character more to work with this time than just "I did it for Despair™!" reiterated over and over. They got better at writing her quips too, which is great since she's the perfect character for that sort of thing. That's what you want from or at least I do and I reveled in it.

Junko was seriously incredible. I think the fact it was almost exclusively Amanda Miller this time helped a lot. Erin is great, but Junko has sooooo much more consistency in both her voice and her lines in DR2. I'm so happy they gave the character more to work with this time than just "I did it for Despair™!" reiterated over and over. They got better at writing her quips too, which is great since she's the perfect character for that sort of thing. That's what you want from or at least I do and I reveled in it.

I was even more impressed with Junko's voice in this game compared to the first one's. It definitely felt like a whole new character and was definitely a treat to listen to.

Sure I didn't like that cartoon-y face voice but whatever.

I thought both dubs were pretty spot-on. I don't think there were quite any points in 2 that reached the series's all-time high of Celeste's breakdown, but it was really, really solid. Really looking forward to AE's dub.

PK Gaming

As much as I like Erin, I think it would have been more preferable if Amanda C. Miller voiced Junko by herself. She definitely has the range to pull it off (and imo it's always jarring to hear Erin's radically different voice)

Squire

Banned
As much as I like Erin, I think it would have been more preferable if Amanda C. Miller voiced Junko by herself. She definitely has the range to pull it off (and imo it's always jarring to hear Erin's radically different voice)

I completely agree. I think they need Erin for like five lines total in DR2 and it's like, no offense, but why even bother?

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
This is one of those games I prefer playing in Japanese. I WOULD look up Youtube clips to hear dub snippits, but since it's not spoiler-free there anymore...

I'm too much of a Megumi Ogata fan :p Some of the voices though, I have a hard time picturing in english.

Vylash

I thought both dubs were pretty spot-on. I don't think there were quite any points in 2 that reached the series's all-time high of Celeste's breakdown, but it was really, really solid. Really looking forward to AE's dub.

Celeste's dub voice was A+ all around, especially the way she says Makoto and Kyoko

PK Gaming

This is one of those games I prefer playing in Japanese. I WOULD look up Youtube clips to hear dub snippits, but since it's not spoiler-free there anymore...

I'm too much of a Megumi Ogata fan :p Some of the voices though, I have a hard time picturing in english.

I felt the same way at first (in fact, I was pretty miffed over Fuyuhiko's casting, haha), but I went in with an open mind and was pleasantly surprised. It was a gradual process, but by the end I was totally in love with the dub. Overall, I think they did an amazing job this time around (Even Bryce sounded great as Nagito). I mean, we'll never get a top tier combo like Peko being voiced by sailor moon, and nobody could ever hope to match Megumi Ogata's Nagito, but in exchange you can actually understand their words, which counts for more than you'd expect. The endearing little voice clips for instance, go completely over your head if you don't understand Japanese. Lines are generally more memorable in a language you can understand.

IE: allow me to CUT THROUGH those word VS 私は、作品にその主張をカットします!

celeste made me mad, I really liked her then she goes off an murders 2 people...just like sayaka infuriated me when her plan came to light. The fact that I care though is why its so good.

Great voice acting all around in this series, just like his character makoto got a lot better later in the game, and kyoko was fantastic throughout. In DR2 I really enjoyed fuyuhiko and Ibuki(goddamnit mikan!)

So out of some level of boredom and with 3.30 showing trophies % gets, here's from highest to lowest, the % people maxed out characters free time events as shown by them getting the respective trophy:

1. Chiaki - 42.8%
2. Sonia - 31.8%
3. Akane - 28.0%
4. Mikan - 27.8%
5. Ibuki - 26.1%
6. Gundham - 25.1%
7. Peko - 22.2%
8. Nagito - 22.2%
9. Mahiru - 21.9%
10. Hiyoko - 21.2%
11. Fuyuhiko - 20.5%
12. Nekomaru - 20.4%
13. Byakuya - 20.0%
14. Kazuichi - 19.6%
15. Teruteru - 18.2%

It's interesting and fitting that Kazuichi is only ahead of the first murderer and the first victim and he pretty available almost all the time for free events. (That's cause no one likes you)
Well Fuyuhiko isn't that far from him and he had the whole change of heart arc. Also why the fuck is Akane so high
For some reason I thought the surviving cast of DR1 went to the world of DR2 and disguised themselves as students to help the trapped students. The equivalents I thought up were:

Asahina = Aoi
Makoto = Nagito
Byakuya = Byakuya
Kyoko = Peko
I always thought of the survivors by Chapter 7 as the counterparts from the survivors of the first game.

Naegi = Hajime/Nagito
Kirigiri = Chiaki
Togami = Nagito/Fuyuhiko
Asahina = Akane
Hagakure = Kazuichi
And I guess Fukawa = Sonia? lolsure

Rubedo

Well Fuyuhiko isn't that far from him and he had the whole change of heart arc. Also why the fuck is Akane so high?

Because her FTEs are great man. All of her best story is in those.

While that is true, I don't think that's really the reason. Probably some combination of her being around so long and boobs.

Well Fuyuhiko isn't that far from him and he had the whole change of heart arc. Also why the fuck is Akane so high

I don't think you can even hang out with Fuyuhiko until like Chapter 4 which might explain why he's so low on the list cause you get like only 2 chapters to hang out with him.

Because her FTEs are great man. All of her best story is in those.

While that is true, I don't that's really the reason. Probably some combination of her being around so long and boobs.
Well, then....
JRpAqLY.png

lol just kidding
I don't think you can even hang out with Fuyuhiko until like Chapter 4 which might explain why he's so low on the list cause you get like only 2 chapters to hang out with him.
Oh, didn't know that. But then about what you said about Kazuichi:
Although Kazuichi is also a survivor, you must talk to him after chapter 4 to finish his FTE. That isn't a big window of opportunity.

I am interested in this whole thing about Kaizuki too. At what part of his free time events lock up until after chapter 4. You don't have that much time in chapter 5 to hang out with people (I think only twice).

And notice that Nagito's in the middle of the listing, even though his restriction is that you have to do at least one free time event in chapter 1 with him to be able to hang out with him in the other chapters.

ss-hikaru

I'm totally a Megumi Ogata fan now :p Love her two ending songs as well. The Japanese voice cast was way too all-star for me to switch to the dub ^^;

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm totally a Megumi Ogata fan now :p Love her two ending songs as well. The Japanese voice cast was way too all-star for me to switch to the dub ^^;

She did the ending songs too?? Mind is blown again...

I wish my other favorite Megumi (Hayashibara) could get on board for being a VA and doing music for the game. That would be... too perfect!

Top Bottom