• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Luigi87

You know in the 3rd game, I would love it if they start placing bad endings for each of the class trial. Expand that whole weird game over method of everyone suddenly choosing you to be the murder and have everyone expect the murder get executed.

It would up the ante and we can only imagine the cruel and terrifying ways Spike Chunsoft can come up to kill off most of the cast over and over again.

I've thought of this, the issue is if they did that... It would spoil who the actual murderer for each case is since they wouldn't die. That's pretty much why they're forced to have the cop-out game over.

I've thought of this, the issue is if they did that... It would spoil who the actual murderer for each case is since they wouldn't die. That's pretty much why they're forced to have the cop-out game over.

They could always have everyone expect the player character as creepy murdere manniquin dudes. The executions would just be as painful as you would see yourself die and your favorite characters possibly as well as well keep the identity of the murderer a mystery.

They could always unmask that afterwards after a trial clearing bonus.

Of course it only works if the main character keep having the never be a murderer immunity.

Vylash

They could always have everyone expect the player character as creepy murdere manniquin dudes. The executions would just be as painful as you would see yourself die and your favorite characters possibly as well as well keep the identity of the murderer a mystery.

They could always unmask that afterwards after a trial clearing bonus.

Of course it only works if the main character keep having the never be a murderer immunity.

Yeah that's how I'd do it, have everyone as the mannequin things, show all but one getting executed, and have the last one walk out of the school with an evil grin on their face

jdJJpmmxR5u6e.jpg

Hey everyone!
Finally I got to purchase this fantastic game aaaand I just finished the first chapter! Might I say I'm in love with Nagito's character? I really like how we're getting an actual "evil"/twisted character that will play a part through all the game. It's like having a mini-Junko Enoshima as a companion.

But Teruteru ;__; You will be missed, Avril Lavigne.

... And with that, I abandon the thread. Don't want to spoil myself much! Let's see what the future holds for
the characters that won't be brutally murdered this time.

Jintor

Yeah, the game over sequence as it is now is very poorly written and disjointed as opposed to a logical extension of failing to identify the culprit. The game over just screams "dohoho do it again" as opposed to true despair as your failure gets an entire group of people brutally murdered.

You don't know true despair until you stumble on a custom bad end in Phoenix Wright

The miracle never happen

Gazoinks

For some reason I thought the surviving cast of DR1 went to the world of DR2 and disguised themselves as students to help the trapped students. The equivalents I thought up were:

Asahina = Aoi
Makoto = Nagito
Byakuya = Byakuya
Kyoko = Peko

For a while I though some of the characters were digital avatars of the original characters with their memories erased. I was sort of halfway there.

Grexeno

Three main character-related things I want to see in Danganronpa 3:

1. The main character is murdered in Chapter 1 and a new main character takes over after that.

2. The main character is the first killer, and a new main character takes over after that.

3. Female main character.

LX_Theo

Banned

1. The main character is murdered in Chapter 1 and a new main character takes over after that.

2. The main character is the first killer, and a new main character takes over after that.

Bar #3 those would have to be handled very delicately. I suppose #3 would be to a much lesser extent in a completely different way, too.

Yeah, I've been thinking something similarly. Let's say you're the protagonist and survive the first two or three chapters, everything is just like the first two games, and then at the end of the next chapter, you end up being the murderer and get killed. After that, the player gains control of one of the remaining characters by then. How would you guys feel about that?

Yeah, I've been thinking something similarly. Let's say you're the protagonist and survive the first two or three chapters, everything is just like the first two games, and then at the end of the next chapter, you end up being the murderer and get killed. After that, the player gains control of one of the remaining characters by then. How would you guys feel about that?
I don't know if I'd want it to happen exactly like that, but I do think the possibility of changing the main character mid-game is quite interesting.

Another thing I thought about; what if the MC was driven to murder part way through the game (possibly in a kill or be killed situation), and then the player had to try and fool the rest of the cast during the class trial? And depending on whether or not you are "successful", the game branches off into two different routes. That would be pretty crazy.

(Or how about each chapter is from a different person's perspective?)

Vylash

Personally i want a murder, some sort of intermission during the trial like case 2 of the first game, and another murder during that period

redhood56

Banned
Yeah that sounds really cool. But I'm not sure if I want to see another dangan ronpa game like the first 2. I would rather see the conclusion to the story, and if they go that route I think the game would have to be like that new one that just game out.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah that sounds really cool. But I'm not sure if I want to see another dangan ronpa game like the first 2. I would rather see the conclusion to the story, and if they go that route I think the game would have to be like that new one that just game out.

I don't think DR needs a grand overarching story like that. I'd prefer it if it was a series like Ace Attorney that could be continuously iterated on with core elements, but with new settings and characters.

I don't know if I'd want it to happen exactly like that, but I do think the possibility of changing the main character mid-game is quite interesting.

Another thing I thought about; what if the MC was driven to murder part way through the game (possibly in a kill or be killed situation), and then the player had to try and fool the rest of the cast during the class trial? And depending on whether or not you are "successful", the game branches off into two different routes. That would be pretty crazy.

(Or how about each chapter is from a different person's perspective?)
Huh, that does sounds more interesting.
Earlier this day I had a random thought about a DR game where all the characters are the ones who are dead, and the survivors of that killing game would return to life.
I just want an excuse to have Ishimaru back.
One thing I think we will see in Danganronpa 3 is two different murders taking place at the same time.
Hmm, but how would they handle that in the class trial if you can only vote for one person?
Unless Monokuma enables you to vote for two.

redhood56

Banned
I don't think DR needs a grand overarching story like that. I'd prefer it if it was a series like Ace Attorney that could be continuously iterated on with core elements, but with new settings and characters.
But what was with that ending then? I felt like it was teasing something, with Byakuya saying something like " I need to fight alongside you guys for a little while longer". Also I would like to see the whole story wrap up because I don't know where else they can go with it if they are going to do the same style game. But that's just me.

That would be really cool! A twist like that would be very interesting to me, especially if they pulled it off right.

FluxWaveZ

Hmm, but how would they handle that in the class trial if you can only vote for one person?
Unless Monokuma enables you to vote for two.

I think the common rule in the previous games has been one trial per murder if they're two distinct ones. There was a case in DR1 like this, but one of the other murderers got killed.

But what was with that ending then? I felt like it was teasing something, with Byakuya saying something like " I need to fight alongside you guys for a little while longer". Also I would like to see the whole story wrap up because I don't know where else they can go with it if they are going to do the same style game. But that's just me.

Well, I really don't think DR2's ending is as much as a cliffhanger as DR1's (which wasn't really a cliffhanger itself), but the DR series could still do what Ace Attorney did with an initial trilogy, but then continuing on after Trials and Tribulations with further spin-offs and main series entries (in AA's case, AA4, AA5, DGS, AAI, AAI2...).

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member

Too bad, the whole Ultimate Despair and Future Fundation thing in DR2 has already established one.

ZeroX03

Banned

The Danganronpa formula is already growing thin by DR2, they can't keep it going ad infinitum like Ace Attorney. Unless they seriously mix it up, it will quickly become predictable and thin. AA has a lot of advantages over DR thanks to the procedural nature. DR seriously limits what it can do with characters by the sheer premise involving killing 2/3 of them.

I'm all for the story finishing properly with DR3. It can't go on without stretching the internal beyond the breaking point, and there appears to be an overarching plot as well as the writers not wanting to abandon some of the older characters.

FluxWaveZ

The Danganronpa formula is already growing thin by DR2, they can't keep it going ad infinitum like Ace Attorney. Unless they seriously mix it up, it will quickly become predictable and thin. AA has a lot of advantages over DR thanks to the procedural nature. DR seriously limits what it can do with characters by the sheer premise involving killing 2/3 of them.

Don't get me wrong, I'd want DR3 to conclude whatever build-up it's supposed to be leading to with the Future Foundation stuff with DR2's ending, but I'm not sure I necessarily agree with the above. I suppose AA has the advantage of having a small group of recurring characters between titles (minus AA4), but doesn't DR also follow the procedural nature that the AA series has, with the different murders?

I keep thinking about how AA had an initial trilogy with AA3 that tied together, but then continued onto other games.

Sorian

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I'd want DR3 to conclude whatever build-up it's supposed to be leading to with the Future Foundation stuff with DR2's ending, but I'm not sure I necessarily agree with the above. I suppose AA has the advantage of having a small group of recurring characters between titles (minus AA4), but doesn't DR also follow the procedural nature that the AA series has, with the different murders?

I think they issue they are trying to address is it could start to become a little unbelievable to have these weird killing games happening repeatedly. 2 circumvented it with the whole virtual world thing but idk how many more SHSL kids they have to lock in a place and kill.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I think they issue they are trying to address is it could start to become a little unbelievable to have these weird killing games happening repeatedly. 2 circumvented it with the whole virtual world thing but idk how many more SHSL kids they have to lock in a place and kill.

Just have DR3 feature a last killing game made as a last-ditch effort by Junko's followers, they don't even have to be real, Hope's Peak Ultimates, but made-up ones to fool the population.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah... I guess there's that. AA is much more grounded in realistic situations, so I guess in that sense, that's the advantage that series has to have multiple sequels while it's not so viable for DR.

I think the common rule in the previous games has been one trial per murder if they're two distinct ones. There was a case in DR1 like this, but one of the other murderers got killed.

Well, I really don't think DR2's ending is as much as a cliffhanger as DR1's (which wasn't really a cliffhanger itself), but the DR series could still do what Ace Attorney did with an initial trilogy, but then continuing on after Trials and Tribulations with further spin-offs and main series entries (in AA's case, AA4, AA5, DGS, AAI, AAI2...).
Oh, yeah, you're right about that.

I'm completely amazed by how they connected DR2 to DR's story. But if they want to continue with the same story it would be more difficult to keep things coherent. It would be easier if other DR games occured in another timeline or dimension or whatever. The only reason I would like them to stay in the same one would be for a crossover between casts, but more than half of them are dead so it doesn't matter anyway.

ZeroX03

Banned

Not exactly... in AA all cases can exist entirely separate to each other. That's not always the case*, but basically an AA case only requires a crime - not even necessarily murder - and an attorney. Everything else is pretty open.

But in DR, all the murders are linked to one bigger conspiracy. It's basically inevitable, the cast only rotates between games not cases. The Killing Game will have to be linked to despair/Junko/Monokuma in some way, I'm sure there's a way around it like a flashback - the ORIGINAL secret killing game 20 years ago! feat Junko's parents - but essentially you're running the same routine over and over with variations on who dies. AA has a lot more freedom with the elements it uses*. As mentioned by posts after mine, there's a limit to how many Ultimates there are, who can be orchestrating killing games, etc.

On a personal note, I just want the series to end because many parts of DR1 and DR2 are frustratingly vague and a clear conclusion would mean that they don't have to keep cards close to the chest anymore.

*one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of Takeshi Yamazaki's AA titles is he tends to force links between all the cases and tries to tie everything into a big narrative when it isn't necessary. Heck I wish AA had less killing in general, I really liked the cases in which kidnapping and theft were big plot points.

Sorian

Banned
Yeah... I guess there's that. AA is much more grounded in realistic situations, so I guess in that sense, that's the advantage that series has to have multiple sequels while it's not so viable for DR.

A good writer could probably keep the same format while still making it seem fresh and believable (well believable enough for this series). That good writer is not me.

ZeroX03

Banned
lol the original secret killing game will be where the 999/vlr crossover happens right

There's also going to be a "Killing Ritual" set a hundred years ago that will be the original ancient tradition that the Killing Game was based on. It's also a crossover with Dai Gyakuten Saiban because why not?

Busaiku

I don't think it'd work as well, since Ace Attorney sets itself up to be more open.
Danganronpa's been stuff that deals with the fate of the world and all that, so continuous use wouldn't work as well.

I mean look at how everyone hates that it was Junko that was the villain again for this game.

Vylash

I mean look at how everyone hates that it was Junko that was the villain again for this game.

Those people are big jerkfaces though, Junko forever
how could you even have a different villain that doesn't feel like a complete step down? she's /ultimate despair/

FluxWaveZ

how could you even have a different villain that doesn't feel like a complete step down? she's /ultimate despair/

Nagito. I think they're good enough writers to pull something more.

But in DR, all the murders are linked to one bigger conspiracy. It's basically inevitable, the cast only rotates between games not cases. The Killing Game will have to be linked to despair/Junko/Monokuma in some way, I'm sure there's a way around it like a flashback - the ORIGINAL secret killing game 20 years ago! feat Junko's parents - but essentially you're running the same routine over and over with variations on who dies. AA has a lot more freedom with the elements it uses*. As mentioned by posts after mine, there's a limit to how many Ultimates there are, who can be orchestrating killing games, etc.

Yeah, I see what you mean. Essentially, there would always need to be an underlying reason as to why a killing game is happening, while in AA, a murder is universal enough so that there doesn't have to be an underlying reason behind everything (with the exception of certain AA games, like you mention).

Different killing game set-ups... I guess the story so far in DR is such that that would be rather unrealistic for several more games. If the reason was exactly one like Battle Royale's—a similar premise—they could probably have more to work with since those killing games were annual and held on a regular basis. Mainly, I just like the premise too much to see it end at DR3, so I still want to think there'd be a way to make it work that didn't devolve into utter silliness or absolute redundancy.

Caladrius

Indeed.

Junko was a good shock character, but the shock factor is gone now that it's been done twice and any further use of her is just going to depreciate her character severely. They're much better off moving on, and if Nagito was any indication they can do that in style.

Vylash

He'd be a good villain I guess, but it'd be pretty tough to pit him against everyone else, unless you make him the only Remnant of Despair that doesn't convert back to hope or something

FluxWaveZ

He'd be a good villain I guess, but it'd be pretty tough to pit him against everyone else, unless you make him the only Remnant of Despair that doesn't convert back to hope or something

No, no, I don't mean bring back Nagito. I don't think they should necessarily bring back anyone to take on the role of a villain. I mean that Nagito proved that they don't need to constantly rely on the same tricks or past characters to make a compelling antagonist.

What about this: For maximum despair, Monokuma decides to kill off the "losers" (everyone except the murderer) one by one and makes everyone else watch and always the protagonist is the first to die. As for the execution, they could probably make it so that there is a custom execution for everybody and every time we lose, we could see an execution made for the MC. It has to be skippable of course, but given that even normal executions are skippable(at least in DR1), I do not think that would pose a problem. Maybe we could have a different execution for the protagonist in every trial, but designing and animating that would probably cost too much.

This also assuming that the protagonist does not get executed in the third game, and to be honest, I do expect DR3 (if we get one) to do exactly that: Make it so that we learn during the trial that the protagonist, in fact, is the murderer.

FStubbs

Between Junko being an AI, and potential followers of hers out there, DR3, 4, 5 etc are easy enough to explain.

DR AE has a female protagonist.

Jintor

Come to think of it, i haven't played a VN Detective style game with a female protag yet. Well, bits of AA3, I guess.

And Hatoful Boyfriend?

idk

ZeroX03

Banned
Come to think of it, i haven't played a VN Detective style game with a female protag yet. Well, bits of AA3, I guess.

Young Mia was the fucking bomb. I'm so pissed that the next female protagonist was clumsy teenage cliche Athena.

I'd be down for a VN with a Kyoko-esque lead, girl was badass.

Zareka

So my girlfriend just finished DR2 today, and after watching the ending again something's bugging me: how did Hajime retain his pre-Hopes Peak appearance when he left the simulation? I know he came back as Hajime and not Kamakura but...it was a pretty drastic difference. Didn't his hair colour change completely? I'm under the assumption what we see on the island irl is right after they get out of the VR and that's a pretty short time to change that much.
Looks better in my opinion.
Who's the guy with the two spikes for hair and the one fighting Sakura?

So my girlfriend just finished DR2 today, and after watching the ending again something's bugging me: how did Hajime retain his pre-Hopes Peak appearance when he left the simulation? I know he came back as Hajime and not Kamakura but...it was a pretty drastic difference. Didn't his hair colour change completely? I'm under the assumption what we see on the island irl is right after they get out of the VR and that's a pretty short time to change that much.
Maybe he cut his hair and then painted it back? Or it regenerated to its original form somehow. lol

I always found it weird that Hajime didn't change one bit except for the hair but Hiyoko grew out to look like a woman.

Jintor

Sakura's master is fighting Sakura, and the dude with the spikes is the Ultimate Botanist who grew the giant plant in the garden (the red herring plant).

Hajime just cut his hair because he's motherfucking super saiyan hajime

I always found it weird that Hajime didn't change one bit except for the hair but Hiyoko grew out to look like a woman.

High school's a weird time bro

Top Bottom