• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Squire

Banned
Saionji actually ended up being pretty high in my personal character ranking from the game. When it started she was the most annoying person in the cast, but she does make an effort to change and the beginning of Chapter 3 shows that. I don't think her death was Kodaka saying, "I can't deal with this" as a writer, but rather him illustrating a tragedy. It's awful when someone dies in the middle of a metamorphosis or with business/relationships that remain unresolved.

It would've been a slow transformation, mind. That would've been better anyway. I mean, it wasn't until the end of the game that I thought, "Hey, Fuyuhiko stopped calling everyone bastards entirely!"

Rubedo

Saionji actually ended up being pretty high in my personal character ranking from the game. When it started she was the most annoying person in the cast, but she does make an effort to change and the beginning of Chapter 3 shows that. I don't think her death was Kodaka saying, "I can't deal with this" as a writer, but rather him illustrating a tragedy. It's awful when someone dies in the middle of a metamorphosis or with business/relationships that remain unresolved.

It would've been a slow transformation, mind. That would've been better anyway. I mean, it wasn't until the end of the game that I thought, "Hey, Fuyuhiko stopped calling everyone bastards entirely!"

I felt like Fuyuhiko's change was noticeable as soon as he gets out of the hospital in Chapter 3. He goes from 100% abrasive to cooperating and at least trying to interact with everyone.

PK Gaming

I liked Saionji. It definitely felt like something was missing when she was gone. And I thought her getting killed off was a cheap way to make Kuzuryu's integration into the group easier, avoiding the aftermath of chapter 2.

Beginning of chapter 3 -Will Saionji ever forgive him for what happened to Koizumi? Can you really forgive someone for murder given the events of the Twilight video game?

Chapter 3 Investigation - Welp I guess it doesn't matter now.

also i didn't care about ishimaru in the first game

Preach.

Supposedly she was supposed to live on while Fuyuhiko was supposed to die in Chapter 3 (hence why her death was so abrupt/there wasn't a murder weapon). It's pretty crazyto think about a version of DR2 where Saoinji lives on while Fuyuhiko dies. On the one hand, I definitely wanted to see more of her; in addition to being a source of comedy (could you imagine her reaction to seeing her grown up self?) I wanted to see her grow as a character, and specifically her reaction to the truth as an Ultimate Despair. On the other hand... Fuyuhiko is a fucking amazing character, and his arc is incredible so it's a huge tossup.

Squire

Banned
Preach.

Supposedly she was supposed to live on while Fuyuhiko was supposed to die in Chapter 3 (hence why her death was so abrupt/there wasn't a murder weapon). It's pretty crazyto think about a version of DR2 where Saoinji lives on while Fuyuhiko dies. On the one hand, I definitely wanted to see more of her; in addition to being a source of comedy (could you imagine her reaction to seeing her grown up self?) I wanted to see her grow as a character, and specifically her reaction to the truth as an Ultimate Despair. On the other hand... Fuyuhiko is a fucking amazing character, and his arc is incredible so it's a huge tossup.

We really did win and lose at the same time and I think if the reserve had happened it would've been the same. Fuyuhiko really is incredible. Just the best.

Meia

Saionji was a monster, and one of the ones I was happy to see go, to be blunt. Kid gets her rocks off killing animals and torturing weak people. She was a Despair long before she even met Junko.

Did her events hoping to get some understanding and thus some sympathy for her, but nope. She just exists to torment Mikan because she gets a rise out of torturing things. Wonderful.

Vylash

Saionji was a monster, and one of the ones I was happy to see go, to be blunt. Kid gets her rocks off killing animals and torturing weak people. She was a Despair long before she even met Junko.

Did her events hoping to get some understanding and thus some sympathy for her, but nope. She just exists to torment Mikan because she gets a rise out of torturing things. Wonderful.

She's absolute garbage and added nothing to the game whatsoever

I've seen a lot of mixed opinions on Ishimaru, actually. Rarely outright hatred but I've seen quite a few posters not think much of him.

I personally liked him, then again I'm a sucker for Hot-blooded paragon types.

It just seems that people like him after doing his FTE and island mode events. He's really hampered by getting barely any development in the story and the opportunity he gets, he gets killed off right afterwards.

Of course he's the best, so there's no doubt about it.

-----------------------------------------

Losing Kurzuryuu for Hiyoko would have just about the worse thing the game could have done. She would have been up there with Hiro and Kazuichi as why the hell are you still alive.

Caladrius

Hiyoko's a bit of a toss-up. Since we don't know where her character arc might have ended we can't say whether or not she would have been a worthwhile survivor. For all we know she could probably have ended up a halfway decent person (not "good" mind you, but you probably wouldn't wish she was thrown into a meat grinder).

Though either way if Fuyuhiko wasn't given the time to change and eat his humble pie in full I think he would have been received about as well as Hiyoko is now.

That said I'm ultimately happier with the survivor lineup this way. > __ >

It just seems that people like him after doing his FTE and island mode events. He's really hampered by getting barely any development in the story and the opportunity he gets, he gets killed off right afterwards.

Of course he's the best, so there's no doubt about it.

I do wish there were more free-time events for all the characters. (I know they can't for practical reasons, but still) Even when you've done all of them it still feels like you don't know enough.

Squire

Banned

She's absolute garbage and added nothing to the game whatsoever

She died and yet you two are still so salty.

Is this true despair?

tumblr_static_komaeda__19_.png

Meia

I never want to hate a character in anything, but her only redeeming thing was the relationshp with Mahiru was kind of cute. Case two kind of nuked that whole idea from orbit.

If she had Mahiru with her the whole game, she may have changed for the better, but I don't find it likely since the best thing you can do in her free events is find animals for her to kill. :\

On that note, I really wish Mahiru hadn't died when she did, as I found her one of the most interesting on the cast. DR, killing all my faves, blah.

Acid08

Banned
Preach.

She did have some really funny lines. Though I can't ever be mad that Fuyuhiko was the one who ended up living cuz that dude fucking rules.

kewlmyc

I don't like her, but she's not as bad as I originally made her out to be. She's just a brat that should act her age, is all. Not a pure demonspawn.

Her growth would have been interesting to say the least, but trading her for Fukuyiko is out of the question. Trading her for Akane or Soda is a different story though.

Vylash

On that note, I really wish Mahiru hadn't died when she did, as I found her one of the most interesting on the cast. DR, killing all my faves, blah.

I would've been really interested in seeing how she would've reacted to chapter 4, I assume she'd be a voice of reason type character like Kyoko/Chiaki and they could've done some really cool stuff with her

Squire

Banned
I never want to hate a character in anything, but her only redeeming thing was the relationshp with Mahiru was kind of cute. Case two kind of nuked that whole idea from orbit.

If she had Mahiru with her the whole game, she may have changed for the better, but I don't find it likely since the best thing you can do in her free events is find animals for her to kill. :

Mahiru died because she was great. She was capable: a natural leader with her head on straight and a goal to unite the group. Junko needed her out of the way if she had even a hope (heh) of getting her way. Explains why case two was as elaborate as it was. It wasn't about the killer, but about the victim. If you hang out with Mahiru during that chapter, her mood/sprite animations suggest she's knows all too well she's going to die.

She was my very favorite from the outset.

Following are my thoughts of Chapter 2, copy-pasted from the OT in all their glory. If you haven't read it yet (and are as stupid as me to still be reading this thread, beware for the beauty of CH02 shall be ruined for you lest you progress.

I'd spoiled myself who kills who in this chapter(alongside 90% of the game), but the finale- namely, the part after the vote, was very exciting. When I first thought that the game had started to rehash twists in a bad way, the game turned that right around. That "I'm not the killer, for I am a tool" card was very interesting.

Besides that, few things were cheesy. The final farewell of Peko and Fuyuhiko feels a bit forced, but otherwise, except for the confusing fact that Fuyuhiko also nearly died is a bit jarring. Did Monokuma really do that for a little extra bit of despair? I think she was trampled beside Peko, but still, we still do not get an explanation for how the others could rush next to Kuzuryu when he was on a piece of rock clearly separated from land... I guess we'll just go with "plot convenience" once more, likewise for how Peko managed to get into a surfboard case that was in that position, I cannot fathom of a way she could fit herself in there. Sigh.

The gameplay itself was very tight. I'm the sort of person that absentmindedly presses "X" during a trial and loses 20 seconds. Giving them multiple hitpoints is just.. such a cruel rule! The whole "swimsuit-gravel" thing was something I'd never think about (was watching a YT video). I thought the weapon was the fish tank.. Logic Dive is interesting and reminds me of the "lines of reasoning" in Ace Attorney which appear at the end of a case. (Dual Destinies has this minigame, at least) Also, I felt like there was much more text discussion than Nonstop Debates this time around- in DR1 it felt like there were small text discussions between Nonstop Debates. Also, there was only one Hangman's Gambit this time, so there's that.

Overall, it was a pretty good chapter and a good mystery. It already appears to be better than the first game, with no excuses such as someone literally trolling and messing up the crime scene.

Also, Kuzuryu is now one of my favorite characters. I don't even know why.

If I ever could meek Ibuki, I think we'd get along well. Telling Chiaki that "she gets bonus points for wearing a white bikini" is something that takes guts. She's now higher on my "favorite characters" list.

(Also, OH MY GOD, THAT BIKINI- It's my favorite fan service moment in any game. Ever.)

Hiyoko can go fuck herself. Nobody insults Chiaki or Mikan.
NOBODY.

***EDIT START***
I didn't care about Peko until the trial. Not my sort of person, really.

Mahiru was very nice, except she was always getting pissed at guys for some reason... That was really annoying, but the fact that she could still be sweet and friendly is redeeming that to a point.

And then we have Akane... With all that piggyback stuff during the investigation, she's alright. She's too impulsive, but still friendly and carefree. I like that.

***EDIT END***

I also think that Soda is Hagakure done right- the comic relief while not being an obnoxious dumbfuck. He had me facepalming quite a few times in the diner, but overall, I really like the guy. He's sincere, and I've got a hunch I'd be acting the same way if I were there.

The best part is I am fifteen years old myself, I can relate with these people possibly more than most of you here.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Monkey paw wish. In exchange for getting rid of a character you disliked, it required the sacrifice of a liked character.

Such is the Danganronpa way.

Man like I said before Ishimaru's death in the first one was pretty much the only I cared about. It just seemed so....weird. Like, during this chapter you give him the whole Ishida business, and then sometime later he ends up being killed, and even after he gets killed he's pretty much forgotten because of everyone turning their attention to stupid Yamada.

And yooooooo, Hiyoko is one of my favorite characters. I freakin' love all of her insults, and didn't really mind that much those who were for Mikan, since Mikan was reaaaally annoying pre-Chapter 3. Plus, her relationship with Mahiru! Once again, like I said before, I love characters who are jerkass and don't care about other people's feelings. They feel so freshed compared to the others "friendship yay" stuff. That's why Togami, Hiyoko and Fuyuhiko (even before Chapter 2!) are some of my favorite characters.

Monkey paw wish. In exchange for getting rid of a character you disliked, it required the sacrifice of a liked character.

Hagakure dies, Ishimaru lives. Like, seriously, changing them wouldn't really the story that much and Ishimaru would have a character plot. "But that doesn't equal despair!" Okay fine, Asahine dies at the end of Chapter 4.

Edit: Oh wait, I didn't understand. Uhh, I guess I kill Fukawa and Ishimaru lives.

PK Gaming

I can honestly say I only disliked 1 character between both games—Hifumi (and he's already dead)

Rubedo

I can honestly say I only disliked 1 character between both games—Hifumi (and he's already dead)

Hifumi and Hiyoko are the only characters I found 100% unlikable. A lot of people hate on Hiro and Kaz and, while they are near the bottom of my list, I still like certain things about then. Some of the things Hiro said I found funny. Kaz would honestly be pretty decent if it were for being so creepy about Sonia. At first he was a standard anime perv but then strayed into some really weird disturbing territory in the latter half of the game.

Having Hiro die in Chapter 3 instead of Taka would be the only change I'd make to both games' stories. As much as I adored Gundam and Mondo, their deaths had purpose and impact and they both got to experience a full character arc before they departed. Taka seemed like he was on the upswing, and then he's unceremoniously snuffed out not ten minutes later and is never mentioned again. Seriously, they mourn the unanimously-disliked Hifumi more than they do Taka, even after it comes to light that the former was the latter's killer. Had Taka been able to finish his arc in lieu of the human waste of space that is Hiro, I think DR1's endgame and my satisfaction with the survivors would be much greater.

at least we all agree that Hifumi is terrible

Reprehensible. I think he's the only character whom I disliked more after completing their Free Time Events. He embodies every negative "nerd" stereotype there is, killed one of my favourite characters in the game due to his inability to see through a thin, vapid lie, and is generally unpleasant and disgusting (please don't talk so proudly about your "morning duties," you gerbil-man).

Gazoinks

at least we all agree that Hifumi is terrible

Yeah, he sucked. When he was first introduced I went "Oh okay so they're gonna subvert otaku stereotypes by showing this ridiculous caricature and then actually delving into him as a person" but nope, they stopped at the caricature.

Rubedo

Having Hiro die in Chapter 3 instead of Taka would be the only change I'd make to both games' stories. As much as I adored Gundam and Mondo, their deaths had purpose and impact and they both got to experience a full character arc before they departed. Taka seemed like he was on the upswing, and then he's unceremoniously snuffed out not ten minutes later and is never mentioned again. Seriously, they mourn the unanimously-disliked Hifumi more than they do Taka, even after it comes to light that the former was the latter's killer. Had Taka been able to finish his arc in lieu of the human waste of space that is Hiro, I think DR1's endgame and my satisfaction with the survivors would be much greater.

Yeah I found it odd their reaction to Taka's dead was just like "Oh shit he's dead. Well anyway isn't it really rough how Hifumi was so brutally murdered?" It was like Taka just stopped existing as anything other than evidence for a case.

Squire

Banned

DR2 did a really great job with having the cast actually mourn losses even right up until the end. The survivors always reaffirmed they had to keep going in honor of those they'd lost, if not for themselves as well. I really felt that lessened the sting of the deaths.

PK Gaming

Reprehensible. I think he's the only character whom I disliked more after completing their Free Time Events. He embodies every negative "nerd" stereotype there is, killed one of my favourite characters in the game due to his inability to see through a thin, vapid lie, and is generally unpleasant and disgusting (please don't talk so proudly about your "morning duties," you gerbil-man).

Seriously.

I was probably one of the few people that actually liked Hifumi at first. He was gross and obnoxious, but kind of endearing in his own way. Then I did his free time event, which left me with a bad taste in my mouth, but at least he wasn't going to kill anyone right? Right?

And then Chapter 3 happened.

5%28184%29.png

Rubedo

I officially approve the retcon of Hiro dying instead of Taka.

All future DR media will reflect this. LALALALALA~

Just you wait. At the end of DR3, instead of Makoto coming to save everyone, it's going to be Yasuhiro and no one else. You're going to need your denial in full force for that one.

kewlmyc

DR2 did a really great job with having the cast actually mourn losses even right up until the end. The survivors always reaffirmed they had to keep going in honor of those they'd lost, if not for themselves as well. I really felt that lessened the sting of the deaths.

Yeah. Only Makoto and Aoi seemed to give a shit about anyone who had died past the point of chapter 5.

Yeah, totally. In DR1, only Mondo, Chihiro and Sakura are really mourned outside of the chapters in which they die, whereas DR2's cast brings up the deceased whenever the plot allows for it. That plus the little touches like being able to view every character's final thoughts at the end of Chapter 5 really sold the idea that the characters' presences continued to linger even after they had died.

I've heard of a pretty interesting fan work that re-tells DR2 but changes which characters die (i.e. Impostor Byakuya and Mahiru survive their respective cases) in order to give a different spin on the game as a whole. Seems like a novel idea and I wouldn't mind an official feature-length work in the vein of it or DR IF.

kewlmyc

Yeah, totally. In DR1, only Mondo, Chihiro and Sakura are really mourned outside of the chapters in which they die, whereas DR2's cast brings up the deceased whenever the plot allows for it. That plus the little touches like being able to view every character's final thoughts at the end of Chapter 5 really sold the idea that the characters' presences continued to linger even after they had died.

I've heard of a pretty interesting fan work that re-tells DR2 but changes which characters die (i.e. Impostor Byakuya and Mahiru survive their respective cases) in order to give a different spin on the game as a whole. Seems like a novel idea and I wouldn't mind an official feature-length work in the vein of it or DR IF.

I would love a version where Komaeda succeeded with his Ch 1 plan (to see if the murders would continue without his help) or Saionji made it to the end.

Yeah I found it odd their reaction to Taka's dead was just like "Oh shit he's dead. Well anyway isn't it really rough how Hifumi was so brutally murdered?" It was like Taka just stopped existing as anything other than evidence for a case.

Only shows what jerks the remaining DR1 cast was.

At least he's in a better place now where he can roll with his bros Mondo and Chihiro. His death was definitely not welcome in a school environment...

cj_iwakura

I had thought the game was mediocre to 1 until the endgame revelations, which spun everything on its head. Yikes from there all the way to the end.

There's only one fitting punishment

5%28264%29.png

Actually that'd be a cool alternate ending.

You know in the 3rd game, I would love it if they start placing bad endings for each of the class trial. Expand that whole weird game over method of everyone suddenly choosing you to be the murder and have everyone expect the murder get executed.

It would up the ante and we can only imagine the cruel and terrifying ways Spike Chunsoft can come up to kill off most of the cast over and over again.

Caladrius

Instead, the alternative ending we have is everyone surviving.

I'm glad we got that one.
Part of me wishes that one was canon

Actually, when I finished DR1 and started the last cutscene,
I was half expecting the doors of Hope Peak to open... and all the characters being imediately shot by the Remnant of Despairs waiting outside the door.
That would have been a great ending imho.

It'd be hilarious, though it'd run counter to the point of the final trial.

You know in the 3rd game, I would love it if they start placing bad endings for each of the class trial. Expand that whole weird game over method of everyone suddenly choosing you to be the murder and have everyone expect the murder get executed.

It would up the ante and we can only imagine the cruel and terrifying ways Spike Chunsoft can come up to kill off most of the cast over and over again.

Yeah, the game over sequence as it is now is very poorly written and disjointed as opposed to a logical extension of failing to identify the culprit. The game over just screams "dohoho do it again" as opposed to true despair as your failure gets an entire group of people brutally murdered.

enoki

For some reason I thought the surviving cast of DR1 went to the world of DR2 and disguised themselves as students to help the trapped students. The equivalents I thought up were:

Asahina = Aoi
Makoto = Nagito
Byakuya = Byakuya
Kyoko = Peko

I thought the ancient ruin was the door from which the surviving DR1 cast had exited from, directly into the beginnings of another Killing School Life, with their memory altered.

Top Bottom