• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Dash27

The biggest thing she did was a jedi mindtrick on a mind control susceptible soldier on the 3rd try.

You're acting like she went all Force Unleashed and took down a Star Destroyer with the force and then force lightninged Kylo to death.

She didn't even know Jedi and the Force was a real thing until like 20 minutes earlier. Then suddenly she knows she can mind trick people, it doesn't make sense for her to even think to try it. Piloting and basic saber fights you can argue she's just going with her instincts guided by the force and I'm ok with that.

This seems more like the Force is some sentient being helping her out or using her as a puppet. Which is maybe what they are angling for, who knows.

You keep acting as if this little device means nothing. Please show me where it is indicated that what Luke did was a minor feat? Please show me where it is indicated that it is a major feat? Going by the OT alone, all we know is that he picked it up instantly, and the only actual authority on the force there made no comment as to how difficult or easy it was to do.
Literally, right after that, Han downplays it completely. Nobody was particularly impressed accept maybe Luke. It was training. All that device did was illustrate a potential.

Rey was by far my favorite character from TFA but that doesn't mean I can't be critical of some aspects of her character or her progression. This doesn't make me some misogynist.

I don't know why people find it impossible to both like something and be critical of it-- it's like you can only be extremely in favor or extremely against.

I think its a nice idea if rey adopts the skywalker name from luke. Fits with maz speech about looking ahead. It will also make kylo even more interesting because his heritage is important to him.

Literally, right after that, Han downplays it completely. Nobody was particularly impressed accept maybe Luke. It was training. All that device did was illustrate a potential.

Rey was by far my favorite character from TFA but that doesn't mean I can't be critical of some aspects of her character or her progression. This doesn't make me some misogynist.

I don't know why people find it impossible to both like something and be critical of it-- it's like you can only be extremely in favor or extremely against.

Ah yes Han Solo the expert in Force matters that just a few seconds before that didn't even believe the Force was real. I wonder why he would downplay that feat.

At the bold, literally no one here is saying that and i would challenge you to find someone that did. What some are finding weird here is the disproportionate amount of criticism Rey is receiving compared to Luke when he was just as guilty of some of these complaints as Rey is. Which btw most of these complaints have no grounds to stand on when the movie itself explains them. But the focus testing failed apparently and the movie is just too subtle for some people.

FlyingHugeMan

Neo Member
She didn't even know Jedi and the Force was a real thing until like 20 minutes earlier. Then suddenly she knows she can mind trick people, it doesn't make sense for her to even think to try it.

That does not bother me at all. She just read through Kylo Ren's mind during the interrogation. That was more of a survival reflex to counter Ren reading her mind.

That just makes sense that she wants to try reading the guard's mind after that. Then she realises that she may influence him and tries it successfully.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Talk about intense STAR WARS day today for me

KQNk0sW.png

After Subway, I went to my local cinema to pick up the IMAX tickets for 16th Jan. Girl started arguing about some random bullshit.

Angel_DvA

Ah yes Han Solo the expert in Force matters that just a few seconds before that didn't even believe the Force was real. I wonder why he would downplay that feat.

At the bold, literally no one here is saying that and i would challenge you to find someone that did. What some are finding weird here is the disproportionate amount of criticism Rey is receiving compared to Luke when he was just as guilty of some of these complaints as Rey is. Which btw most of these complaints have no grounds to stand on when the movie itself explains them. But the focus testing failed apparently and the movie is just too subtle for some people.

Luke had training with two of the best Jedi of his generation, Rey has none.

Fencedude

Luke had training with two of the best Jedi of his generation, Rey has none.

He had 20 miniutes with Obi-wan and then 3 years later somewhere between 3 hours and a week (ESB's timeline makes zero sense) with Yoda.

Rey either had to learn to use the force, or die.

She didn't die.

Boke1879

She didn't even know Jedi and the Force was a real thing until like 20 minutes earlier. Then suddenly she knows she can mind trick people, it doesn't make sense for her to even think to try it. Piloting and basic saber fights you can argue she's just going with her instincts guided by the force and I'm ok with that.

This seems more like the Force is some sentient being helping her out or using her as a puppet. Which is maybe what they are angling for, who knows.

"For the force is my ally, and a powerful ally it is"-Yoda

Yoda seems to view the force as a living being in a sense. The force does guide actions to a certain degree.

I agree to an extent that most people have an issue with the mindtrick simply because it seems to happen so fast. Her mind battle with Ren I attribute to her sheer force of will and her unlocking her dormant force powers.

The mind trick is probably hard to digest for people because it's assumed it takes a well trained force user to use it. It's definitely not a low level skill.

If we're using the prequels as a measure, then "training" in the Force is a piss-poor replacement for actual experience, anyway. There were plenty of Jedi who were trained (apparently, given statements about baby Anakin being "too old") practically from birth who quite obviously turned out to be real shitter knights and ate it hardcore.

The powerful Jedi all seem to be the ones who've been through the wringer.

But in-universe it's the same amount of time! You're not really changing anything!

What changes is when the audience is told of her Force potential. Instead of being towards the end of the movie, it's toward the beginning of the movie. It lets people come to grips or get used to it, to expect it. The movie can build up to it. As it is in TFA, her development with the Force comes too late and then asks the audience to accept it. Some do. Some don't.

Dash27

"For the force is my ally, and a powerful ally it is"-Yoda

Yoda seems to view the force as a living being in a sense. The force does guide actions to a certain degree.

I agree to an extent that most people have an issue with the mindtrick simply because it seems to happen so fast. Her mind battle with Ren I attribute to her sheer force of will and her unlocking her dormant force powers.

The mind trick is probably hard to digest for people because it's assumed it takes a well trained force user to use it. It's definitely not a low level skill.

That's a good summary. I'm with you that they seem to be suggesting that the Force is choreographing things, bringing force users together to accomplish certain things. So piloting a starship you can see how they use the Force instinctively to do things. Or even a saber fight.

Mindtrick just doesn't feel right. I have more of a problem that she would even attempt it let alone that it worked. At least Luke saw Obi Wan use it and you'd understand him trying it. But not Rey. Unless you want to say it was part of the Jedi mythos that they could do that and she said eh may as well try.

Overall I got the sense that they just did NOT want to have anyone rescue this character. She was getting out on her own, more or less. So they added that. Better to have her force unlock the restraints, pull the troopers gun and blast him, but maybe that would lessen the impact of her pulling the saber past Ren.

Anyway, didn't ruin the movie it just felt lame.

What changes is when the audience is told of her Force potential. Instead of being towards the end of the movie, it's toward the beginning of the movie. It lets people come to grips or get used to it, to expect it. The movie can build up to it. As it is in TFA, her development with the Force comes too late and then asks the audience to accept it. Some do. Some don't.
The audience is told of her force potential around halfway into the film. Snoke says to Ren, "There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?"

Dash27

Obi Wan downplays it too. Luke says "I did almost see the remote" and Obi Wan looks at him like he said "I did manage to color inside the lines with my crayon". "That's good."

In the Prequels you see 4 year olds doing the same thing.

The audience is told of her force potential around halfway into the film. Snoke says to Ren, "There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?"

Okay, but what did she do? She really didn't do anything fantastical besides flying the Falcon through the Star Destroyer which is in the realm of possibility for normal pilots such as Lando or Poe. Her Force moment wasn't when she was flying. It was when Kylo was searching through her mind.

Do people really think mindtrick is that big of a deal? Honestly, it seems like one of the few abilities that almost everyone is seen using at some point or another.

I suppose the thinking is that Luke didn't do it until after training with Yoda, so it must be "high-level", but honestly it seems more like a parlor trick to the Jedi than some indicator of incredible power.

I read the mind-trick bit as she'd picked it up from Ren during their mind-fight-- that she'd gleaned it from his mind while they were linked. If this was the case, I think they could have made it a bit more obvious, but that's how it seemed to me and, if so, I don't mind it but a reaction by Ren about it could have helped.

Also, First Order Stormtroopers spend their whole life brainwashed and being told what to do. It's not like she was mind-tricking someone that has a strong willpower.

Boke1879

Anakin and Luke had great force potential as well. But Luke wasn't mind tricking people until Jedi. The extent we see of his force use before Jedi was, Force pull, moving objects with the force, force jump, and him telepathically communicating with Leia with both of them sharing a connection to the force. But Luke and Anakin had some form of training. Which makes it easier for the audience to accept.

The mind trick is hard for people to digest because as I said. It's not a low level skill and would obviously require training or lots of practice. Now I have no idea about Rey's past and a lot of this can be explained or expanded upon in future movies which I suspect it will.

BTW how old did Rey look when she was abandoned on Jakku.

Alx

Do people really think mindtrick is that big of a deal? Honestly, it seems like one of the few abilities that almost everyone is seen using at some point or another.

I suppose the thinking is that Luke didn't do it until after training with Yoda, so it must be "high-level", but honestly it seems more like a parlor trick to the Jedi than some indicator of incredible power.

Well even out of SW context it does sound like a more subtle and complex feat, yes. Most force skills are basically telekinesis (push, grab, choke,...), that's just having control of objects.
Taking control of a mind is something else, even if it's just suggestion. It's not just moving something with invisible hands, it's inserting ideas in a brain. I don't think it's a sign of big power (especially since it only works on simple minds), but rather of fine skill. Like Mr Miyagi catching flies with chopsticks.

Okay, but what did she do? She really didn't do anything fantastical besides flying the Falcon through the Star Destroyer which is in the realm of possibility for normal pilots such as Lando or Poe. Her Force moment wasn't when she was flying. It was when Kylo was searching through her mind.
That's what she did! That was her force moment! She even exclaims that she doesn't know how she flew the Falcon like that, and is utterly bewildered by it.

If you watch the film again, you should pay attention more closely.

I read the mind-trick bit as she'd picked it up from Ren during their mind-fight-- that she'd gleaned it from his mind while they were linked. If this was the case, I think they could have made it a bit more obvious, but that's how it seemed to me and, if so, I don't mind it but a reaction by Ren about it could have helped.

Ultimately the movie should have conveyed that better, or at all, within that scene. There is no notable visual cues to point specifically that she got it from Ren's mind from the earlier scene, the audience shouldn't have to buy the novelization to make sense of things that the movie could have just conveyed clearly.

It's not Rey's fault as character, or a judgement on her, it's a script issue that is slightly annoying.

Well even out of SW context it does sound like a more subtle and complex feat, yes. Most force skills are basically telekinesis (push, grab, choke,...), that's just having control of objects.
Taking control of a mind is something else, even if it's just suggestion. It's not just moving something with invisible hands, it's inserting ideas in a brain. I don't think it's a sign of big power (especially since it only works on simple minds), but rather of fine skill. Like Mr Miyagi catching flies with chopsticks.

Well, I do think it's worth noting that:

1. This is the only time the user of the mind-trick is shown to be expending any significant effort using it. (The other Jedi when doing it seem somewhere between "casual" and "smug".)

2. This is the only time the mind-trick is shown failing on someone without an explicit explanation of why it would not work. (Their species are resistant, they have exceedingly strong will, etc.)

Anakin and Luke had great force potential as well. But Luke wasn't mind tricking people until Jedi. The extent we see of his force use before Jedi was, Force pull, moving objects with the force, force jump, and him telepathically communicating with Leia with both of them sharing a connection to the force. But Luke and Anakin had some form of training. Which makes it easier for the audience to accept.
None of that matters. The movie tells us in many ways that there's something unique, special about Rey. Also, nothing in the Star Wars universe says a character can't develop as quickly as Rey did.

-griffy-

Banned
Ultimately the movie should have conveyed that better, or at all, within that scene. There is no notable visual cues to point specifically that she got it from Ren's mind from the earlier scene, the audience shouldn't have to buy the novelization to make sense of things that the movie could have just conveyed clearly.

It's not Rey's fault as character, or a judgement on her, it's a script issue that is slightly annoying.

Has nothing to do with the novel. I infered the same thing about Rey and Kylo's mind fight. That was Rey's jacking into the Matrix, 'I know kung fu' moment. Kylo knew shit was brewing at that point as well, as he warns that her power is growing fast and the longer they take to find her the more powerful she'll be.

And it's only really a problem if people keep thinking of the Force as a strict video game progression system, where you unlock this power at this level, rather than the organic, intuitive, unpredictable force it is.

Boke1879

This is ultimately another possibility. But I also don't think this is Rey's first bout with the Force. Her past imo is going to be a huge factor in all of this.

Maybe as a child she showed great potential in the force, maybe she couldn't control it and it scared whoever her parents were and they decided to dump her on Jakku. Either out of fear of their lives or fear Snoke/ some other evil force would come for her. Maybe they used something to wipe her memory as well.

Arthea

Has nothing to do with the novel. I infered the same thing about Rey and Kylo's mind fight. That was Rey's jacking into the Matrix, 'I know kung fu' moment.

And it's only really a problem if people keep thinking of the Force as a strict video game progression system, where you unlock this power at this level, rather than the organic, intuitive, unpredictable force it is.

exactly!
nor force is predictable and can be learnt strictly speaking. It's embracing it what matters and why people fail to use it, as Luke used to, it's all about mind over matter and size doesn't matter!

That's what she did! That was her force moment! She even exclaims that she doesn't know how she flew the Falcon like that, and is utterly bewildered by it.
She didn't seem utterly bewildered by it. She seemed caught in the excitement with Finn at the time. I don't think that was her moment because it wasn't fantastical. It was within the realm of possibility for a normal person to do. Poe could have done it. Lando could have, too. Additionally, there's no realization or epiphany about it like she did when she did the mindtrick. She gets into the Falcon, gets her bearings, and then flies off.

If you watch the film again, you should pay attention more closely.

Twice is enough. Plus I have the script with me.

They send Vader/Kylo to hunt trained Jedi, but they only have the one Vader/Kylo to go around.

Then why equip Stormtroopers, who can be easily mindtricked by Jedi, with gear designed to fight against Jedi?

Top Bottom