• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Nif

I can't help but think Harrison Ford didn't want to do 20 more movies, so he probably insisted on the death scene. Still, it works out for them. They got Han to pass the torch to the new kids, and us old fogeys still have Luke, who will make more sense in an action adventure since he has magic powers.

So, we're probably getting a Episode VIII trailer with Rogue One, right?

We'll probably have already gotten one before Rogue One opens.

Attaching trailers to films as a means to debut said trailers is no longer a practice that's really done anymore. Trailers debut either on television, at a convention, or (most commonly) online.

MuggerMD

Banned
ChewbaccaShrug.gif

Han needed to go just to get Ford out of this series. I respect dude for what he's done but like Tommy Lee Jones and Bruce Willis... Hollywood needs to move on from these sour ass dudes.

Disney and JAbrams wants us to feel good about Ford dying to the dude from Girls?!?

#NoThanks

Malmorian

ChewbaccaShrug.gif

Han needed to go just to get Ford out of this series. I respect dude for what he's done but like Tommy Lee Jones and Bruce Willis... Hollywood needs to move on from these sour ass dudes.

Exactly this, Han is a staple but this is a passing of the torch and his death had meaning to the evolution of this series that we all love and respect. This is no longer about the original three, but about the new characters in this amazing series.

We'll probably have already gotten one before Rogue One opens.

Attaching trailers to films as a means to debut said trailers is no longer a practice that's really done anymore. Trailers debut either on television, at a convention, or (most commonly) online.

Well, yeah. The internet has changed that, but typically you can still more or less figure out when a trailer for a particular movie will generally release just simply going by when similar movies (particularly of the same studio) are set to release in theaters. Like, look at all the trailers that premiered in the weeks preceding Star Wars. I'd imagine the Episode VIII trailer will release in the weeks leading up to Rogue One's release. Speaking of which, I'd imagine in the weeks leading up to Captain America: Civil War, we should probably get the first teaser for Rogue One. Captain America Civil War comes out in May. Perhaps, the teaser will be attached to it, but first be released on "Star Wars Day" (May 4th).

Disney and JAbrams wants us to feel good about Ford dying to the dude from Girls?!?

#NoThanks

I mean if you know the dude from his role in Girls, are you really the market though? I'm not trying to be an asshole but I guess I'm being a bit assholish? Though to be fair, you're reducing an actor to one role he's portrayed to argue... I'm not even sure exactly.

So... I guess all there is to say is... Ford is old and surly and hard to work with for most people so you're going to have to accept the fact that he's not going to be a super stud in a ton of stuff going forward? I mean if Shia Lebeouf wasn't a walking dumpster fire then Indy would probably be out of the question for him too at this point.

Exactly how far along is Episode VIII? May 2017 seems awfully aggressive.

I do wonder if Disney might ask itself if owning Christmas might be better. Kids out of school, parents taking time off, Star Wars selling out even weekday matinee showings.... The Force Awakens became almost a cultural event unto itself.

Though I'm sure a May opening followed by a holiday Blu-Ray release will make all kinds of bank, as well.

MuggerMD

Banned
I mean if you know the dude from his role in Girls, are you really the market though? I'm not trying to be an asshole but I guess I'm being a bit assholish? Though to be fair, you're reducing an actor to one role he's portrayed to argue... I'm not even sure exactly.

So... I guess all there is to say is... Ford is old and surly and hard to work with for most people so you're going to have to accept the fact that he's not going to be a super stud in a ton of stuff going forward? I mean if Shia Lebeouf wasn't a walking dumpster fire then Indy would probably be out of the question for him too at this point.

My 'knee jerk' reaction was to dislike Adam Driver as the villain. Because his Girls character is so weird.

But after taking some time I think it's going to work. Driver can portray a Sith that is conflicted in his views of the Force, like he is conflicted in his relationship in Girls.

I didnt like it,

and I dont have nostalgia.

I saw the movies as a kid but never really cared for them, and saw the prequels a couple weeks ago, the only thing star wars Ive loved is KOTOR.

also Kylo Ren doesnt look like Han Solo or Leia.. why?

My 'knee jerk' reaction was to dislike Adam Driver as the villain. Because his Girls character is so weird.

But after taking some time I think it's going to work. Driver can portray a Sith that is conflicted in his views of the Force, like he is conflicted in his relationship in Girls.

Cards on the table, I haven't seen a single episode of Girls. I felt like Driver absolutely knocked this role out of the park. I'm a guy that really pays attention to the media I'm watching but what really sealed me on Drivers portrayal was when I took my wife to see the movie (My second viewing, her first) and without any influence from me I asked her what she thought of the movie and she really liked his portrayal and dialed in on the fact that he was being a petulant child throughout (we have two kids so there's a bit of experience there). I don't know about his previous work but Kylo really, really works in this film.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
At earliest, I'd say we'd get a short VIII teaser attached to Civil War which would also go in line with timeframe of when TFA's teaser got out. At the very least, we'd get a title on May 4.

I could also see BFG being a thing.

Zabka

also Kylo Ren doesnt look like Han Solo or Leia.. why?
gBxGUlP.jpg

They definitely could be related.

Tesseract

Banned
btw best tfa moment = 'we're not done yet', followed by an enraged pound to the bowcasted guts

it legit jimmied my forced rustles

KrZ2PJ.gif

*edit* i can't write, halp

Jintor

Saw it a second time cos my friend wanted to.

More or less the same opinion, but still really impressed by how much it reminded me of good times with star wars.gif

GhaleonEB

I'm still hoping Snoke is like 3ft tall IRL which would make him an interesting foil to Yoda.

This is also one of the only things that would really justify him being all CG, IMO. Though I'd rather than use an actor and just GC the face if for some reason they want to keep his face as it was in TFA.

nampad

I really hate GAF hyperbole sometimes.

It's obvious she worked on the Falcon, how else would she know about what the pawn shop boss did to the ship?

lol

Keep up the whining instead of discussing^^

Also I needed to add that it really bugs me that people have to answer other people's questions using stuff from the novels/"current" EU. Having some explanations for critical aspects of the film (literally everything involving the New Republic/Resistance/First Order dynamic, etc.) being restricted to outside material is a failure of storytelling in my opinion. I mean ultimately Disney doesn't give a shit because the spectacle draws the crowds, then they can get money from the nerds who go out and buy the world-building EU stuff. One of my major complaints with the film is that the world-building is really poor compared to the OT. I mean Tatooine alone has more character and is more well-defined than any of the multiple locations of TFA.

Then again this is a fan-base that gets excited over characters that aren't actually characters (Phasma, the infamous Boba Fett lol) which Disney can then use to sell merch. I mean I don't even understand the Poe love, he's barely a character except he's like, cocky or something? and he's an ace pilot. Also gay I guess, which just reminds me of creepy shipping fandoms in anime/manga except now it's mainstream (I don't have a problem with that, just no shitty love triangle because the gay person loses 10000% of the time). Though the reaction to an interracial gay relationship in Star Wars would be something to behold.

Honestly I could probably write waaaay more in terms of ANH/TFA comparisons but I've already spent far too much time writing about this topic lol. Back to AoE2!

Yes, I dislike that too.

I read the original synopsis of the movie from mid 2015. In that one BB8 was carrying Luke's lightsaber instead of a map piece. Anyone know if they actually shot that first and then went back and put in a different macguffin?

Story wise it does make more sense and I could see the editing to switch it out being somewhat straight forward.

nampad

I haven't seen anything that remotely resembles serious discussion coming from you.

Sure I tried more than you did. I guess it is better to just ignore you in the future.

1. Fair complaint. It was a lot of the same themes from the OT. Don't think it makes it bad. Just not a very original story lol.

2. If you're complaining about lucky coincidences in a Star Wars movie.... lol. Rewatch the old ones.

3. Ghaleon pulled up the good gifs. Kylo was cocky in his fight against Finn. Its perfect for his character. We've seen how immature he is. It's not mentioned in the film but the book alludes to him becoming weaker after he killed his father, despite him believing it made him stronger. Also MINOR injury? LOL. The minor injury he sustained was a little lucky nick from Finn's saber. That bowcaster shot was fucking BRUTAL. he kept pounding it. You saw it dripping blood in the snow in one shot, very clearly.

Throughout the ENTIRE movie we see Chewie AND Han obliterating people with that thing. If you're gonna complain about anything, complain about how the fuck Kylo took a bowcaster hit so well.

4. First part of the Rey fight she is very much on the defensive. Not only that but Kylo doesn't want to kill her. He even mentions how she needs a teacher. Snoke told him to see if they can turn her because she's so powerful with the force. Once she fights with a bit of Force Magic in her she catches Kylo off guard. Kylo who is already struggling emotionally and physically due to injuries. Just gets injured and injured in the fight. Rey has some combat experience from Jakku with the staff so she's not completley clueless. Make no mistake, a healthy Kylo vs Rey... Kylo would win. He's gonna be a tough opponent in 8.

5. Did you even watch the movie? They didn't know where the base was at that point.

6. I took that as half their fleet of THAT battle. They likely have other bases and ships. And I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. One of my gripes with the movie is the lack of explanation of the galactic power struggle. What we know now is that The Republic is the main ruler but the First Order is a challenger. Since the fall of the empire they've been locked in a sort of cold war with them. Neither side wanting to engage in all out war. That is until Star Killer is completed. The First Order wipes out the Republic Senate.

The Resistance is allied with the Republic very loosley. The Republic gives them funding similar to how the US funded afghan troops in the 80's vs Russia or how Russia funded the vietcong in the vietnam war.

They are the ones that skirmish, spy, etc with the first order.

5. So they knew the location from the interrogation which went so super bad for Kylo Ren?
6. The most important battle and they only take a small fleet to it (which came from their main base of operations)?

GhaleonEB

Even in the movie, I felt this whole exchange and exposition was really clumsily done and it's difficult to point out why.
It didn't feel like this was a conversation that Leia and Han would actually have, IMO. They had to work in some backstory on Snoke luring Ren over, but the whole conversation is really clumsy. I thought the acting was pretty good given the material, Ford in particular, but It never rises above being an exposition dump.

I hope Maz isn't in the next movies to be honest, or at the very least, gets minimal screen time.

Every scene she was in was either forgettable or annoying.

watershed

Banned
I hope Maz isn't in the next movies to be honest, or at the very least, gets minimal screen time.

Every scene she was in was either forgettable or annoying.

I didn't find the character or any of her scenes annoying. She was a good mix of funny/odd/wise. Definitely not the best Star Wars alien character but better than any of the cg characters we got in the PT.

Top Bottom