• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

..what? I mean, it's a cool scene and maybe my favorite part of the movie. But better than the "I am your father" moment!? You're out of your mind.

I'm reasonably sure that in the long run a female character becoming the lead of a new generation of Jedi is going to be a bigger moment for society than the "I am your father" one was for pop culture.

I've heard a few people say they were disappointed because they thought it'd be Luke grabbing the saber, so when they saw that it was just her, they were deflated.

Szeth

It was painfully obvious to me the saber was going to go to Rey as soon as it didn't move right away for Kylo. If it had snapped up right away and flew to Rey, I probably would have been surprised.

Boke1879

When Kylo searched her mind and saw that she looked at Han like a father-figure, I was like "Really?"

What's hard to understand. A girl that literally has had no family for most of her life. Clearly looks up to Han, he even offers her a job and he is helping them giving advice. It's the exact reason why she's attached to Finn. No one has ever helped her like this.

Not to mention they all come rescue her on Starkiller base.

I'm reasonably sure that in the long run a female character becoming the lead of a new generation of Jedi is going to be a bigger moment for society than the "I am your father" one was for pop culture.

I doubt that. It's cool, sure, but don't expect star wars to fix sexism.

I've heard a few people say they were disappointed because they thought it'd be Luke grabbing the saber, so when they saw that it was just her, they were deflated.
Not only would this have been horrible from a story telling perspective (undercutting Rey), but it would've continued Star War's trend of treating its female characters like shit...by undercutting Rey.

I'm not so sure. it would be nice but that's a tall order. I think, what will help, is when (if?) they move Rey out of Luke's shadow by giving her a story arc more of her own, rather than just following versions of Luke's beats.

deadlast

Did Kylo Ren wheeled his Light Saber as an execution tool and not a weapon? I keep thinking back to the fight scenes and how much different vader's style was to his.

Not only would this have been horrible from a story telling perspective (undercutting Rey), but it would've continued Star War's trend of treating its female characters like shit...by undercutting Rey.

A lot of "fixes" I've seen from people who didn't like the movie that much seem to share that underlying similarity.

Lightsaber should've just flew away. Then roll credits.

cut to black

LOSTendtitle.jpg

two criticisms I had that seemed blindingly obvious to me was the idea of luke saving the day at the end and kylo ren only revealing his face in the scene where Han bids him to

but I guess the Luke thing might not have been possible depending on their plans for VIII

What's hard to understand. A girl that literally has had no family for most of her life. Clearly looks up to Han, he even offers her a job and he is helping them giving advice. It's the exact reason why she's attached to Finn. No one has ever helped her like this.

Not to mention they all come rescue her on Starkiller base.
Not enough setup for me, is all. No build up. I perfectly understand it, it just doesn't resonate with me as much as it could.

Interfectum

two criticisms I had that seemed blindingly obvious to me was the idea of luke saving the day at the end and kylo ren only revealing his face in the scene where Han bids him to

but I guess the Luke thing might not have been possible depending on their plans for VIII

Luke was hiding in the Falcon the entire time!!

Boke1879

It would have literally made NO sense for Luke to be on Starkiller base. IF that was the case his ass should have been there early enough to save Han.

-griffy-

Banned

It also simply wouldn't have made sense from Luke's character perspective. If the first thing we are told in the movie is that Luke has vanished, and everyone is searching for him, and learn throughout that he was so stricken with guilt and grief because his nephew turned to the dark side and his new Jedi academy was destroyed that he fled and isolated himself, then why the fuck would he suddenly show up on Starkiller Base right there?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Rey grabbing the lightsaber is the best moment in the SW franchise.
By far the worst in the movie in my opinion. Despite Binary Sunset mildly playing, I hated the fact that it basically 'spoiled' the fact that she was gonna kick Rens ass.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
yo, YOOOOOO I haven't slept in 31 hours. Leave me alone

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I wonder if Jar Jar will show up in Episode VIII.

I'm guessing those sneaky Gungans have quite the lifespan...

People who complain about the StarKiller and it blowing up being rushed or that it felt shallow, how did ANH set up the destruction of the death any better?

Haven't heard many people talk about this but I noticed it on my second viewing of four.

Kylo: "An ocean"

Kylo: "An island.... I see it"

as he searched Rey's mind. It seems that he saw where Luke is without realizing it. Pretty funny.

People who complain about the StarKiller and it blowing up being rushed or that it felt shallow, how did ANH set up the destruction of the death any better?

The Death Star basically was the antagonist of ANH.

So when Starkiller Base is just a backdrop in TFA, people think (rightly) that it's shallow in comparison.

But, of course, it's just a backdrop because the real star of the show is the conflicts between characters and the decisions the characters make that shape those conflicts.

I wonder if Jar Jar will show up in Episode VIII.

I'm guessing those sneaky Gungans have quite the lifespan...

No joke, I kinda wonder what happened to Jar Jar after the fall of the Republic.

Maybe Wrinkles threw him a bone and gave him a position somewhere in the Empire. After all, none of it could ever have been possible if JJ didn't give Palpatine emergency powers in AoTC.

Are we expecting Poe to have an expanded presence in the next film?

He was a great character that I feel was underused in TFA. Hoping he becomes a major player and not the next Wedge.

It should be Rey/Finn/Poe as the next Luke/Leia/Han.

Haven't heard many people talk about this but I noticed it on my second viewing.

Kylo: "An ocean"

Kylo: "An island.... I see it"

as he searched Rey's mind. It seems that he found where Luke is without realizing it. Pretty funny.

True, but I'm guessing there's quite a few planets with oceans and islands to search. It helps him narrow it down a bit I guess.

-griffy-

Banned
You two had ONE job---to back me up. And you just let me burn.
Thank you though. I had no idea.

It's ultimately not all that important that people know specifically what planet/system is destroyed (and they only casually throw out the name of the system in the film, they don't dwell on the name). That's essentially flavor text/new EU fanboy stuff. That the new Republic's senate and fleet is destroyed is the important bit. That info is there, and I think people only miss it if they watch Hux's speech and see "Space Nazi evil dude speech" rather than actually listen to and process the words he is saying (and the follow-up exposition when we get to the Resistance base).

I think an early scene, like the rumored deleted/cut scene of Leia on Hosnian Prime meeting with the woman who gets some CU face time as Hosnian explodes, could have helped the importance of that destruction land with a bit more impact though. Perhaps Leia learns of the attack on Jakku and the kidnapping of Poe at this point so it's not just a total non-sequitur. But I also could see them being wary of any scenes involving a senate or senate members, as well as scenes cutting away from the new characters early on (and wanting to preserve a better intro for Leia later on).

Top Bottom