• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

The Chef

I think it's probably the single best scene in the whole movie, actually. Finn's trying to con a soccerball, the soccerball is trying to help Rey, Rey's trying to save everyone's life, Finn's trying to impress Rey, Rey just wants a roll of tape, they JUST pulled off a semi-miraculous escape, and all of it just works perfectly.

Droid please
droid triple take
thumbs up
Boyfriend, cute boyfriend
what I'm pointing at. No. No. No.

All in about 2 minutes.

Spot on. On both viewings in the theater people we're hysterically laughing.

rQ0htdt.gif

^ I thought this was a nice moment with Rey.

Rey is so freakin cute good lord.

BB's thumbs up such an out of left field bit, catching everyone by surprise. This is partly why I wish the pace of the film were not quite so breathless. I wanted a few more scenes like this for the characters to just be with each other, rather than running from destination to destination. They keep it going admirably during the action, but a bit more breathing room would have been great.

I think the film is missing a bit of a sit down scene, like in ANH where Luke is trying the lightsaber and Ben and Han talk. They talk about the force and its just a simple scene in which a lot of the personality comes through. In this film, they're breathlessly getting to the next action scene. Finn is literally breathless for most of the film.

I didn't say that. I try my best to stay out of the sexism debate because emphasizing it too much centers the discussion around the fact that Rey is a woman more than I like.
It's hard to stay out if you keep alluding to it.

That she is a woman is very important, both within the franchise itself and greater cultural landscape, but more important is that she is a good character that's also a woman.

Which is great. Rey is a great step forward for women in these types of movies.

My only strong contention is people who want to act like sexism can't possibly be a factor in their judgement or that it is a completely irrelevant subject matter. Then I hit them with the research saying otherwise.

My contention is that some people think that the reason why people don't like Rey as a character is because of sexism. The same people complaining about Rey probably think other female characters in action movies are great. But we already had this convo.

And I understand that it can be a factor. No one is just going to come out and say they don't like Rey because she's a woman. But blanket insinuations doesn't help either and shuts down the discussion.

Another moment of Daisy's acting I loved was when Han asked her if she knew how to shoot the gun he gave her and she looks down the sights and says, "Yeah, you pull the trigger." I don't know if it was her accent or what, but I loved it.

So have we had the "Rey is Anakin re-incarnated" theory yet?
That would explain the lightsaber calling to her.
That would explain her vision of Bespin.
That would explain her technical wizardry, piloting skills and her Jedi mind tricks.
It also explains the aggression with which she beat down Kylo Ren but didn't/couldn't kill him. It explains why Kylo is having a hard time channelling Vader.
It explains why she felt a connection with Leia.
It explains why Luke is looking at her funny at the end.
Anakin was supposed to bring balance to the force and he failed.
So he cheats death like Plagueis and Ben and Yoda and returns to finish the job.
Plagueis hunts the child down so her parents leave her abandoned to save themselves and her.
It explains why her acting is so much better than Hayden Chri...

Actually this is a stupid theory. Forget it.

It would have literally made NO sense for Luke to be on Starkiller base. IF that was the case his ass should have been there early enough to save Han.

At the same time--Luke's the last guy who'd just sit there and let his friends die around him, so there'd better be a damn good reason for his hermit status beyond depression.

EGM1966

Rey's funniest moment is her pointing at the tape thing and Finn completely missing it like six times in a row.

"No. No. No, what I'm POINTING at. No. NO."

One of the best scenes in the film. Boyega really nailed it and when he and BB-8 gave each other a thumbs up it was genuinely hilarious.

As Mark Kermode noted, one of the appealing elements of TFA was how good so much of the comedy was. This scene being the pinnacle for me.

The whole first third of the film I loved the pacing and time for character interaction amongst the action. Finn and Poe's interchange in the T Fighter while escaping is another great example.

Too much plot with two many characters meant the latter third failed to match the great start for me but it remained a fun ride nonetheless.

I thought it was a little weird that Rey was the one to go to Luke.

Yes, she did have his lightsaber, but the intro text made it seem like it was Leia who was actively looking for him, so why didn't Leia go?

I thought it was a little weird that Rey was the one to go to Luke.

Yes, she did have his lightsaber, but the intro text made it seem like it was Leia who was actively looking for him, so why didn't Leia go?
Because she has a government to lead. It seemed to me she was always going to send a messenger

Han having to hold that L really sucks for multiple reasons.

Luke failing to get to Ben. Luke failing in general.

Leia failing to get more than a struggle team together to assault starkiller base.

GhaleonEB

I think the film is missing a bit of a sit down scene, like in ANH where Luke is trying the lightsaber and Ben and Han talk. They talk about the force and its just a simple scene in which a lot of the personality comes through. In this film, they're breathlessly getting to the next action scene. Finn is literally breathless for most of the film.

Apparently there was a long scene cut after the attack at Maz's place. From the second trailer there's a shot of Maz handing Leia the lightsaber, which was part of the deleted scene. The film sprints from that attack straight into the 3rd act action, but it's a window where I wish they'd slowed down for a couple minutes. I really wish they'd kept it in.

I kind of like how the Empire (I'm just going to fall the First Order the Empire because it feels like a pointless rename anyway) keeps trying to perfect the Death Star concept only to make it bigger and more failure prone.

Are you one of those people that heard the name "Wii" and still tried to call it "Revolution"?

Veelk

Banned
It's hard to stay out if you keep alluding to it.

Well, I wasn't. Just the observation that quips aren't the deciding factor.

My contention is that some people think that the reason why people don't like Rey as a character is because of sexism. The same people complaining about Rey probably think other female characters in action movies are great. But we already had this convo.

And I understand that it can be a factor. No one is just going to come out and say they don't like Rey because she's a woman. But blanket insinuations doesn't help either and shuts down the discussion.

Exactly. No one is going to come out and say it, not just because they understand that will get them labeled as a sexist and banned, but because they don't even know that sexism is influencing their judgement. It's not a question of "Is sexism influencing me", it's "How much". I'm a feminist and I admit that the cultural tendencies that I grew up with still influence me and probably forever will. Prejudices are insidious, which means you don't know when they are affecting you.

No one is (or atleast I'm not) making insinuations that anyone only dislikes Rey because she's a woman. But if they can't acknowledge that it is a factor (not that it might be, but IS), then they're just ignoring basic statistics that show otherwise.

Either way, I wasn't making any insinuation. I was just making note that Rey wasn't really a quipper, but neither was Luke, so it must not be too huge a factor in their likability. That's all.

fallout

The "Gee aren't the new people way better than the old people were at doing regular stuff".
If that's what you got out of that scene, then you're definitely projecting. It's just a funny little thing where comes up with a good solution under duress that Han hadn't yet considered. It also shows her problem solving tech skills from her upbringing and probably some force insight (which was pretty consistent theme throughout).

JB1981

Apparently there was a long scene cut after the attack at Maz's place. From the second trailer there's a shot of Maz handing Leia the lightsaber, which was part of the deleted scene. The film sprints from that attack straight into the 3rd act action, but it's a window where I wish they'd slowed down for a couple minutes. I really wish they'd kept it in.

The film slows down quite a bit Maz's castle though. Character moments, lots of dialog with Maz, Han, Finn. Then Finn/Rey scene, then Rey's vision.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's probably the single best scene in the whole movie, actually. Finn's trying to con a soccerball, the soccerball is trying to help Rey, Rey's trying to save everyone's life, Finn's trying to impress Rey, Rey just wants a roll of tape, they JUST pulled off a semi-miraculous escape, and all of it just works perfectly.

Droid please
droid triple take
thumbs up
Boyfriend, cute boyfriend
what I'm pointing at. No. No. No.

All in about 2 minutes.

When BB 8 leans over and points his lens at the tape like "its. right. here!" adds to that as well.

dan2026

Are we supposed to take the name 'Supreme Leader Snoke' seriously?

Its not exactly a tough guy name. What am I supposed to be feeling about this character?

I feel like he's on some Wizard of Oz shit.

I think trying to make him badass is going to backfire, and they need to have Kylo fuck this guy up and assume his position.

Oidisco

So who do you think is going to survive to the end of the trilogy?

I'm fairly sure Rey, Leia, Chewie and the droids will survive but I feel like any of the other characters could easily end up dying.

-griffy-

Banned
Snoke is kind of an intentional mystery at this point. He's literally the shadowy figure hovering behind the scenes with an ulterior motive of some kind.

Arthea

Are we supposed to take the name 'Supreme Leader Snoke' seriously?

Its not exactly a tough guy name. What am I supposed to be feeling about this character?

would it blow your mind that I remember the same being said about Vader long long time ago in a far away galaxy? And who find it ridiculous now?

GhaleonEB

The film slows down quite a bit Maz's castle though. Character moments, lots of dialog with Maz, Han, Finn. Then Finn/Rey scene, then Rey's vision.
True, I was more talking pacing. I think the film needed a moment to catch its breath after that sequence and it didn't really get one. That a scene was cut in between says it had one at some point.

I think trying to make him badass is going to backfire, and they need to have Kylo fuck this guy up and assume his position.
I really hope they go this route.

Big Dog

I'd be interested in seeing Ren TRY and do that. The ending has Snoke report for the General and Ren to physically meet Snoke wherever he is. So maybe when that happens or right after he finishes his training he will try and take Snoke down. But I want him to fail at it and for Snoke to become some kind of monster or do some crazy shit to defend himself. Like he is some monster hiding inside the frail, alien old man.

dan2026

I did like how they didn't fall into the trap of making Kylo Ren a stereotypical badass.

Instead he is pathetic, vulnerable and disturbed.

Veelk

Banned
Honestly, the only thing I'm not happy with the movie is that Leia didn't even try to go. "You're his father" yeah, and your his mother, Leia. If they gave some excuse, like that she absolutely HAD to stay to command as general, okay, but that the idea wasn't even brought up bugged me. It's one thing to have your father plead for you, but both mother AND father? Kylo might have actually bent to that.

Do you think we'll see Leia bust out some lightsaber moves? Surely we're going to get a scene where we think Leia's number is up but then she shows that Luke did train her and she goes all badass Jedi on some fool's ass.

So who do you think is going to survive to the end of the trilogy?

I'm fairly sure Rey, Leia, Chewie and the droids will survive but I feel like any of the other characters could easily end up dying.

I think Rey, Finn, Chewie, Maz, and the Droids survive.

I think Leia, Luke, Snoke and Kylo are gonners.

No feeling right now on Poe, Hux, Phasma.

All guesswork with no backing, but I feel most strongly that Rey is the safest, while Kylo is on borrowed time.

Top Bottom