• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Did they give any explanation in the movie what planets they blew up?

It's the system where the Republic government is currently housed.

The Resistance refers to the system as the Hosnian system during the movie. The specific planet where you see Republic senators gathered is called Hosnian Prime.

True, but I'm guessing there's quite a few planets with oceans and islands to search.

Well that is my point. He saw what he wanted to see without knowing what he was seeing. Hidden in plain sight practically. If he knew I'm sure the First Order could track it down eventually depending on whether it is charted.

Interfectum

Are we expecting Poe to have an expanded presence in the next film?

He was a great character that I feel was underused in TFA. Hoping he becomes a major player and not the next Wedge.

It should be Rey/Finn/Poe as the next Luke/Leia/Han.

Yeah. TFA was originally written for Poe to die (at the Tie Fighter crash). I guess JJ liked him enough to bring him back. I expect his character to be fleshed out better next movie.

Did they give any explanation in the movie what planets they blew up?

From this page.

I'm about 99% certain that is Coruscant we see get blown up. Can anyone confirm or shoot this down?

In the movie they say it is the Hosnian system that is destroyed. That planet is Hosnian Prime.

It was Hosnian Prime.

It's not, it's the Hosnian System
bts_lina.gif

FullSizeRender-5-590x357.jpg

This will help. The senate rotates from planet to planet - ala the Olympics.

Prozel

So the movie has 46 minutes worth of obsolete scenes? You can't really pretend that doesn't exist because a fan edit removed them, they're still there. A fan edit isn't the movie, the movie is.

Can you imagine if you removed 46 minutes from the TFA? It couldn't be done, pretty much every scene is important.

TPM Edit > TPM Original > TFA

I don't write anything about the scenes not existing. Seriously stop using your interpretations of anything you think I've written between the lines of my posts, it's pretty cut and dry what I meant that TPM is better than TFA however, the edit which I posted was better than TPM (Origianl) in my opinion.

Sephzilla

People who complain about the StarKiller and it blowing up being rushed or that it felt shallow, how did ANH set up the destruction of the death any better?

The first Death Star and Tarkin are collectively the main villain of A New Hope and the entire plot revolves around destroying the Death Star (Leia gets the Death Star plans, gives it to R2, who finds Kenobi, who brings Luke along, who rescues Leia, who takes them all back to Yavin to destroy the Death Star). The plot of Force Awakens doesn't revolve around Starkiller base what so ever, it's a backdrop to Kylo and Rey. With that said, I don't feel Starkiller base felt shallow or rushed entirely because it wasn't meant to be the focus of the movie.

Haven't heard many people talk about this but I noticed it on my second viewing of four.

Kylo: "An ocean"

Kylo: "An island.... I see it"

as he searched Rey's mind. It seems that he saw where Luke is without realizing it. Pretty funny.

I really liked that little bit. Ren found Luke without even realizing it. Meanwhile when you first hear that line you just figure Rey is dreaming about oceans and islands because she lives on a fucking desert but at the end of the movie you realize she was getting Force visions of Luke.

Oh, no big deal then. They just need to elect new senators and move the Senate to the next planet. :)

Much of their fleet was destroyed as well too, but yeah, they could just form a new senate. Though I doubt many will be queuing up in fear of the First Order.

Oh, no big deal then. They just need to elect new senators and move the Senate to the next planet. :)

Well, the big problem was that the Republic's own (expensive) fleet was destroyed and whatever they were doing to support the Resistance would have been disrupted, so the Resistance could only scramble whatever ships they had at hand once their own system was targeted.

People who complain about the StarKiller and it blowing up being rushed or that it felt shallow, how did ANH set up the destruction of the death any better?

The Force Awakens does the minimal job it does setting up Starkiller because the movie expects people are already familiar with the Deathstar, which kind of points to ANH doing a pretty good job of setting it up.

The first scene in the movie deals with the plans to blow it up, the importance they have to both parties and the fact they are fighting over them. In this film they learn of the planets existence half way through and then throw up some projector schematics while cracking jokes about its size and how theres always a weak spot. Kinda lame.

I assume you feel the same about Luke losing Obi-Wan so soon after meeting him.

We were with Obi Wan for most of the movie, from the beginning of the second act to the beginning of the third. Plus, finding Obi Wan was the first act's goal.

I read all that. I was wondering if it was in movie specifically.

Poe says one line about it. I don't blame you if you missed it. Especially since it's mentioned well after Hosnian was destroyed

The Death Star basically was the antagonist of ANH.

So when Starkiller Base is just a backdrop in TFA, people think (rightly) that it's shallow in comparison.

But, of course, it's just a backdrop because the real star of the show is the conflicts between characters and the decisions the characters make that shape those conflicts.
I love Han's "It's big, so what?" line, as much as people like to complain about the ANH similarities, I feel like the movie was actively trying to make people see past that, and focus on the characters.

Sephzilla

I kind of like how the Empire (I'm just going to fall the First Order the Empire because it feels like a pointless rename anyway) keeps trying to perfect the Death Star concept only to make it bigger and more failure prone.

It's ultimately not all that important that people know specifically what planet/system is destroyed (and they only casually throw out the name of the system in the film, they don't dwell on the name). That's essentially flavor text/new EU fanboy stuff. That the new Republic's senate and fleet is destroyed is the important bit. That info is there, and I think people only miss it if they watch Hux's speech and see "Space Nazi evil dude speech" rather than actually listen to and process the words he is saying (and the follow-up exposition when we get to the Resistance base).
Eh, not quite. First, you can read his speech metaphorically as opposed to literally. Second, he's not exactly a reliable source, particularly when he's spouting propaganda to his minions and, third, even if he thinks it's true, how do we know it's true?

Nairume

Banned
I kind of like how the Empire (I'm just going to fall the First Order the Empire because it feels like a pointless rename anyway) keeps trying to perfect the Death Star concept only to make it bigger and more failure prone.
Honestly, this time felt like the First Order did actually try to address the problems the Empire faced that messed up the first two Death Stars.

They covered up the actual weak point, didn't use it until it was actually finished, kept an internally powered shield up around it to keep unwanted ships out rather than relying on something off site, and (seemingly) built it entirely with a brainwashed internal workforce to prevent information on it from getting out (at least going by how the Resistance acted like they were caught off guard by it).

Granted, the ultimate lesson is that they should have learned is to just expect the unexpected, given what the heroes actually did to undermine all that.

-griffy-

Banned
In this film they learn of the planets existence half way through and then throw up some projector schematics while cracking jokes about its size and how theres always a weak spot. Kinda lame.

People keep on railing on this scene, but I fucking loved it. To me it was a supremely economical scene. I've seen comments like "WTF? They come up with a plan to blow it up in 5 minutes? That's dumb," when I'm thinking in a single scene they managed to clearly explain to the audience exactly what is going to happen during the climax, what characters are going to be doing what and why, and in a scene that includes most of the primary characters and is also entertaining on its own merits. Now the audience knows what Han, Finn and Chewie need to do on the surface, what Poe and the X-wings need to do, and understand why the characters decide to adapt when things aren't going according to plan.

And on top of all that, it was a Star Wars as hell scene. Group of characters we like, working together and coming up with a plan, and going to execute that plan. It was one of the scenes that made me think "Fuck yeah! Star Wars!" during my first viewing.

Eh, not quite. First, you can read his speech metaphorically as opposed to literally. Second, he's not exactly a reliable source, particularly when he's spouting propaganda to his minions and, third, even if he thinks it's true, how do we know it's true?

It's pretty damn easy to discern what is pure propaganda in that speech (The Republic, Leia, and her Resistance being evil) and what's legit (they are going to blow up the Republic's shit because they don't like them). Why would we have any reason to think that he is lying about blowing up the Republic's senate and fleet when we see several planets and the ships floating in orbit destroyed?

Veelk

Banned
Maybe that's another reason why fans aren't as hugely warm to Rey. She's not stoic or cold, but she's not a one liner quipper either. Which isn't to say she doesn't have any lines ("STOP GRABBING MY HAND!" or "And I will drop my gun"), but others have more, and the very appeal of oneliners or quips is that they stick in the mind.

Then again, Luke didn't have too many either, so....

Rey's funniest moment is her pointing at the tape thing and Finn completely missing it like six times in a row.

"No. No. No, what I'm POINTING at. No. NO."

Maybe that's another reason why fans aren't as hugely warm to Rey. She's not stoic or cold, but she's not a one liner quipper either. Which isn't to say she doesn't have any lines ("STOP GRABBING MY HAND!" or "And I will drop my gun"), but others have more, and the very appeal of oneliners or quips is that they stick in the mind.

Then again, Luke didn't have too many either, so....

...so it must be sexism. Guys, if you don't like Rey, you're a sexist.

Both times I saw the movie, I laughed when Rey kept pointing at a different tool that Finn wasn't grabbing. "No. That one! The one I'm pointing to!" I love stuff like that.

JB1981

The first scene in the movie deals with the plans to blow it up, the importance they have to both parties and the fact they are fighting over them. In this film they learn of the planets existence half way through and then throw up some projector schematics while cracking jokes about its size and how theres always a weak spot. Kinda lame.

Was gonna post something similar. Spot on.

Maybe that's another reason why fans aren't as hugely warm to Rey. She's not stoic or cold, but she's not a one liner quipper either. Which isn't to say she doesn't have any lines ("STOP GRABBING MY HAND!" or "And I will drop my gun"), but having the very appeal of oneliners or quips is that they stick in the mind.

Then again, Luke wasn't that either, so....
Not sure if they come across as great lines but she had some nice exchanges with Finn early on Jakku.

Luke in ANH was, for most of the film, somebody we wished talked less.

EDIT:
...I laughed when Rey kept pointing at a different tool that Finn wasn't grabbing. "No. That one! The one I'm pointing to!" I love stuff like that.
That's a great one too.

GhaleonEB

Haven't heard many people talk about this but I noticed it on my second viewing of four.

Kylo: "An ocean"

Kylo: "An island.... I see it"

as he searched Rey's mind. It seems that he saw where Luke is without realizing it. Pretty funny.

Well that is my point. He saw what he wanted to see without knowing what he was seeing. Hidden in plain sight practically. If he knew I'm sure the First Order could track it down eventually depending on whether it is charted.
I've mentioned it a few times; it's my favorite line in the film. "You imagine an ocean. I see the island." The wording is interesting. I think it doubles as foreshadowing for Luke's location, and as metaphors for the paths Rey and Kylo are on (one is expanding her possibilities, the other, isolation within them).

Haha, yep. I love that scene.

I think it's probably the single best scene in the whole movie, actually. Finn's trying to con a soccerball, the soccerball is trying to help Rey, Rey's trying to save everyone's life, Finn's trying to impress Rey, Rey just wants a roll of tape, they JUST pulled off a semi-miraculous escape, and all of it just works perfectly.

Droid please
droid triple take
thumbs up
Boyfriend, cute boyfriend
what I'm pointing at. No. No. No.

All in about 2 minutes.

-griffy-

Banned
Rey's funniest moment is her pointing at the tape thing and Finn completely missing it like six times in a row.

"No. No. No, what I'm POINTING at. No. NO."

Then the button to that gag when BB-8 rolls right over to it, and swings his head to within inches of it like "THIS ONE DUDE," and Finn finally grabs it.

Veelk

Banned
...so it must be sexism. Guys, if you don't like Rey, you're a sexist.

I didn't say that. I try my best to stay out of the sexism debate because emphasizing it too much centers the discussion around the fact that Rey is a woman more than I like. That she is a woman is very important, both within the franchise itself and greater cultural landscape, but more important is that she is a good character that's also a woman. My only strong contention is people who want to act like sexism can't possibly be a factor in their judgement or that it is a completely irrelevant subject matter. Then I hit them with the research saying otherwise. But other than that, I'd rather focus on Rey as a character.

I think it's probably the single best scene in the whole movie, actually. Finn's trying to con a soccerball, the soccerball is trying to help Rey, Rey's trying to save everyone's life, Finn's trying to impress Rey, Rey just wants a roll of tape, they JUST pulled off a semi-miraculous escape, and all of it just works perfectly.

Droid please
droid triple take
thumbs up

All in about 2 minutes.
I really enjoy that scene. The only awkward part is the "cute boyfriend" line.

GhaleonEB

Droid please
droid triple take
thumbs up

All in about 2 minutes.

BB's thumbs up such an out of left field bit, catching everyone by surprise. This is partly why I wish the pace of the film were not quite so breathless. I wanted a few more scenes like this for the characters to just be with each other, rather than running from destination to destination. They keep it going admirably during the action, but a bit more breathing room would have been great.
It's great cause Rey is so damn happy that she figured it out (seriously, look at that face), and Han's face is 100% "Huh, how did I not think of that."
Han's must.not.look.impressed face is hilarious.

Oh my God, there were so many eye rolling scenes in the Falcon.

Between comparing Finn to Jar-Jar and this, I'm convinced you watched a different movie than everyone else. The scenes on the Falcon were some of the best in the film.

What's hard to understand. A girl that literally has had no family for most of her life. Clearly looks up to Han, he even offers her a job and he is helping them giving advice. It's the exact reason why she's attached to Finn. No one has ever helped her like this.

Not to mention they all come rescue her on Starkiller base.

Still happens too fast to be believable.

Top Bottom