• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

I dunno, I think they'l want to keep one of the original cast (besides chewie and the droids) alive and I think it's more likely that Leia will survive

There is no point in keeping any of the original cast. They are fighting a lost battle here thanks to nature. Both Mark and Carrie are way too old for this now. By the time of the next film they will be two years older and by Episode 9 they will be 4 - 5 years older.

So there really is no point in keeping them around and might as well kill them off on screen for one last bit of drama.

You have to give Mark x Carrie a send off in either episode 8 or 9 , Leia before Luke though
they are getting old :( they have to go , luke the god can't be in star wars forever

if they kill Chewie i will be so upset, let him live

Luke will die in a battle with snook, probably snook is alive only because luke is alive, some stupid shit so Luke just ends himself so it can be just Kylo vs Rey

Leia's dying. She's likely going to literally work herself to death. (i.e. some attack/counterattack & her ship goes down)

Luke's dying. Probably as some form of self-sacrifice.

But part of the point of these sorts of mythological stories is that the mentors make way for the new heroes. The old heroes don't get to stick around for that. They have to exit stage left.

Wasn't Leia supposed to die in one of the early drafts of the script? IIRC, she was in the New Republic Senate when Starkiller base destroys the system. It was a good change, and it was meant to give Han yet another heavy moment. I don't *really* see them killing Leia after she got that reprieve.

Leia's dying. She's likely going to literally work herself to death. (i.e. some attack/counterattack & her ship goes down)

But part of the point of these sorts of mythological stories is that the mentors make way for the new heroes. The old heroes don't get to stick around for that. They have to exit stage left.
But so they have to die to "exit"?

I see Luke dying more than Leia. Leia I see living out the new trilogy but retiring with R2 and 3PO.

I keep thinking back to the beginning of ESB, when she is dead set on staying in the command center until all the transport vehicles have made it out.

I could see something like that happening. This time, no Han to drag her out of there.

Interfectum

Leia is exiting stage left by leaving the conflict and living out the rest of their life. I don't think they are killing her.

return-of-the-jedi-final-scene.jpg

This is the last time Han Luke & Leia were all onscreen at the same time.

Ever.

But so they have to die to "exit"?

Usually, yeah.

-griffy-

Banned
do we know why R2 suddenly wakes up after a long period of slumber?
When the sheet was pulled off him and BB-8 head butted him, R2's boot up sequence started and he was looking through his old Time Machine backups for the map. Took him awhile and he finally powered on fully at the end.

Leia will be Rey's surrogate mother. She will survive the trilogy. Luke will have to die otherwise hes going to be expected to show up every film. "Why isn't Luke here to save the day?" "Luke could one shot this Darth Baa'dguy."

Oidisco

It would be really depressing if they kill off all 3 of the original cast. It'd be interesting to see if they do that, but I can't see it.

Also, Poe is totally gonna die. But rather than some lame death like was originally planned, he's gonna go out with a bang.

If they brought all these characters back just to one by one off them, I don't even see the point. I'd rather they would have left the characters and their legacies alone in the original trilogy and skipped forward 70-80 years and let age take its course. Perhaps show Luke in a Yoda-like scene from ROTJ passing the torch along with some last words of wisdom, and let that be it. ROTJ should have been a happy ending for all these characters, and our imaginations could have filled in the "happily ever afters" for each of them.

Same thoughts apply with the Skywalker lineage and Kylo Ren. I don't think he will be redeemed, but at the same time, if we went through Episodes 1-6 with the fall and redemption of the Skywalker line, having the next generation of Skywalkers be right back in the clutches of the dark side seems right silly. It's because of that that I think Rey must a Skywalker. Otherwise, it's another case of what's the point.

Ben, Vader, Yoda - the significant trio of Prequel-Era characters. All dead by the time Jedi ended.

Han, Luke, Leia - the significant trio of Original Trilogy characters. Han's dead so far. Luke is half-crazy and in exile. Leia's running a black bag special ops team.

It's way more likely the Original Trilogy trio meet their fates in this trilogy than one or two of them surviving. Everybody dies on a long enough timeline. They had their happy ending, as seen in the screencap above. Now they have to make way. Those endings they provide will emotionally deepen the journeys of the characters that live on. That's how it works.

I think Kylo will kill Snoke and take command of the First Order. There will be a good payoff scene between him and Hux.

I hope so. It looks like something that belongs in fucking Harry Potter. Even the name is Harry Potter'ish.

Just turrible. I wish they hadn't showed him at all - that'd be more interesting than the questionable CGI of a hologram bullshit.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Reys genuine excitement when she is offered a job is my second favourite moment, it just gives her so much character, she comes across all tough and stoic and in control and lets it go for a moment like "Oh shit a job this is so awesome a job" then it sinks in that she cant take it, felt genuinely bad for her.

First moment is "BEN"

;_;

Boke1879

At the same time--Luke's the last guy who'd just sit there and let his friends die around him, so there'd better be a damn good reason for his hermit status beyond depression.

Han said he was looking for the first Jedi temple. While it's safe to say he exiled himself I don't think it's that simple. Why go to the first Jedi temple? I'm thinking he's looking for information.

Han said he was looking for the first Jedi temple. While it's safe to say he exiled himself I don't think it's that simple. Why go to the first Jedi temple? I'm thinking he's looking for information.
And my random guess is that it has to do with Snoke. I'm not saying this is good, but Snoke might've been someone completely off Luke's radar. He turns Kylo, and Luke finds out something about him that make him go "mother of god, I need help on this". If I were to keep going down this road, making assumptions, maybe he knows enough about Snoke and that he can't die (IF he is Plagueis) and he doesn't know how to stop him.

Lots of assumptions and such. But a possibility.

Reys genuine excitement when she is offered a job is my second favourite moment, it just gives her so much character, she comes across all tough and stoic and in control and lets it go for a moment like "Oh shit a job this is so awesome a job" then it sinks in that she cant take it, felt genuinely bad for her.

First moment is "BEN"

;_;
Yeah. Rey is pretty great, and I greatly appreciate some of the subtlety choices they made in regards to her dialogue. Why doesn't she trade in BB-8? Because he is just like her, waiting for his "family" to return. Why does she get so excited about Han offering her a position? She'll have a new family. Why does she give Finn that huge hug on the Starkiller? Because he is the first family she has had in a long time, and unlike her other family, he returned. And they never smack us on the head with it and flatout tell us all of this through dialogue. I love it.

Boke1879

Yeah. Rey is pretty great, and I greatly appreciate some of the subtlety choices they made in regards to her dialogue. Why doesn't she trade in BB-8? Because he is just like her, waiting for his "family" to return. Why does she get so excited about Han offering her a position? She'll have a new family. Why does she give Finn that huge hug on the Starkiller? Because he is the first family she has had in a long time, and unlike her other family, he returned. And they never smack us on the head with it and flatout tell us all of this through dialogue. I love it.

I also love how they didn't make a big deal when Finn admitted he wasn't resistance and he was First Order. Rey literally doesn't care. She just doesn't want to get abandoned again by someone she's formed an attachment with.

She has a very strong resemblance to Keira Knightly.

and I love it.

Altairre

Just saw it, thought it was good but not amazing. The Supreme Leader made a terrible first impression and I felt like Rey's progression with the force and her lightsaber abilities was unearned. I'm all for a strong female character and I have no qualms with the actress but Rey just seems to be amazing at everything. I did enjoy that Ren wasn't the stereotypical evil badass and I'm very interested in where they go with him. Finn was pretty great as well.

billeh

I hope so. It looks like something that belongs in fucking Harry Potter. Even the name is Harry Potter'ish.

Just turrible. I wish they hadn't showed him at all - that'd be more interesting than the questionable CGI of a hologram bullshit.
Star Wars big bads have some dopey ass names.

Everyone always forgets about Sheev.

Daisy Ridley is fascinating to watch her facial expressions and the way she uses her eyes captive me. He body control is also fascinating. The way she wobbles but tries to stand still when the ground crumbles and separates her from Kylo, the way she sat In The Falcon and stared to the right, the way she ran fast while maintaining body control. Just awesome to watch I really was transfixed on her, she was so good, I hope she knows how much she brought to her performance.

The face she makes when Finn gets pulled by his leg by that monster thing. The way she says the word Family, they all penetrated me. She touched my very soul

zethren

Banned

I 100% agree.
Which makes it sad to me when some of the criticism of the film is that it didn't have enough explaining through dialog going on.

Loved Rey and all of her interactions with the new and old cast.

fallout

I also love how they didn't make a big deal when Finn admitted he wasn't resistance and he was First Order. Rey literally doesn't care. She just doesn't want to get abandoned again by someone she's formed an attachment with.
Yeah, I really loved that they didn't make that into some overly dramatic scene.

I did enjoy that Ren wasn't the stereotypical evil badass and I'm very interested in where they go with him.
I loved this, too. I practically knew nothing about the movie going into it (had mostly avoided trailers) and when he was introduced, my reaction was: "My god. It's just a shitty version of Vader." and then his character literally turned out to be a shitty Vader-wannabee.

Just saw it, thought it was good but not amazing. The Supreme Leader made a terrible first impression and I felt like Rey's progression with the force and her lightsaber abilities was unearned. I'm all for a strong female character and I have no qualms with the actress but Rey just seems to be amazing at everything. I did enjoy that Ren wasn't the stereotypical evil badass and I'm very interested in where they go with him. Finn was pretty great as well.

Reys progression was unearned. Jedi started as toddlers and become Masters when their 30s? Rey went from "what the fuck is the force?" to Jedi Knight in mere hours.

Now if you say shes special and shes just easily influenced by the Force its still unearned and robs Rey of any kind of victory or accomplishment.

Top Bottom