• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

Sephzilla

Reys progression was unearned. Jedi started as toddlers and become Masters when their 30s? Rey went from "what the fuck is the force?" to Jedi Knight in mere hours.

Now if you say shes special and shes just easily influenced by the Force its still unearned and robs Rey of any kind of victory or accomplishment.

Luke goes from completely untrained to beating Darth Vader in under 2 years, and does it almost entirely on his own since his combined amount of training with Kenobi and Yoda was a few days. He learns how to do the Jedi Mind Trick and Force Choke on his own as well since he learns that between Empire and ROTJ, and didn't visit Yoda between movies either.

Reys progression was unearned. Jedi started as toddlers and become Masters when their 30s? Rey went from "what the fuck is the force?" to Jedi Knight in mere hours.

Now if you say shes special and shes just easily influenced by the Force its still unearned and robs Rey of any kind of victory or accomplishment.

The only way Rey can make sense is that they reveal her midichlorian count

Do yourself a favor and forget about the presequels. They are all nonsense and got the force completely wrong.

Stick to orginal trilogy in regards to the force and Yoda's teaching.

Interfectum

Unlike Jedi toddlers who've been coddled at an academy for their life, Rey has been living in shit since the age of 5 (?). She's had to scavenge and survive (fight, learn a trade, etc) on her own most her life. That combined with her being force sensitive makes sense for how her character arc has played out so far, IMO. She probably has more life experience than even Kylo.

-griffy-

Banned
I felt like Rey's progression with the force and her lightsaber abilities was unearned. I'm all for a strong female character and I have no qualms with the actress but Rey just seems to be amazing at everything.

The only way Rey can make sense is that they reveal her midichlorian count
addxXuc.jpg

bill0527

Been debated ad naseum in the previous pages and other threads, but I will say I disagree with you.

What we have here are 2 trilogies the PT and OT which have very, very different sets of standards as to what constitutes a Jedi or being able to proficiently use the force.

Which side of the fence you fall on, depends entirely on which trilogy you want to pick from to get your definition of a Jedi.

The toddler until 30s is what the PT gave us.

The OT gave us Luke doing some pretty fucking amazing things without much of any formal training at all. And even what little training he got as the series moved on, was nothing like what the PT told us was needed to become a Jedi.

Its the ultimate form of moving the goal posts and it really is one person's fault - George Lucas.

Also, Jedi academy teaches you how to be a Jedi, not how to use the force. You can learn to use the force in literally seconds as seen in the movies.

Sephzilla

Also, Jedi academy teaches you how to be a Jedi, not how to use the force. You can learn to use the force in literally seconds as seen in the movies.

This isn't even an exaggeration either. Obi-Wan puts a blindfold on Luke, tells him one line about how a Jedi lets the Force flow through him, and suddenly Luke is blocking shots blindfolded.

Veelk

Banned

I think this conversation is going to be the crux of the movie for years down the line, unfortunately, like MoS's destruction issues. It won't matter how many times it's had, how many arguments are brought up, it'll be the cat that comes back.

Is it starting to look like the Jedi's rule for only training prospective knights when they are super young is sort of short sighted considering Vader, Luke and now Rey all picked it up fairly quickly and later in their lives?

You don't have to have training to use the force. Anakin Skywalker is talked about because he's the only human who can podrace, because of the force, and he's nine at the time.

All you have to do is let it in.

At no point in this film do we see Rey as a Jedi Knight. She doesn't come anywhere near as skilled as a Jedi Knight even at the very end of the film when she beats a badly shaken, injured and mentally unstable Kylo Ren.

She was fighting worse than Luke did in the Cloud Base the only reason she beat Kylo is because of his injuries, his cockiness and she had the element of surprise when she was able to briefly tap into the force. That doesn't make her a Jedi Knight it makes her a person that can tap into the force and be damn lucky with it.

watershed

Banned

This is only true if you think the PT dod a better job portraying Jedi and Jedi training than the OT. Otherwise, she is definitely gifted, is only beginning to use the force, and beat an injured villain who was specifically NOT trying to kill her.

-griffy-

Banned
Is it starting to look like the Jedi's rule for only training prospective knights when they are super young is sort of short sighted considering Vader, Luke and now Rey all picked it up fairly quickly and later in their lives?

It's been a dumb, contradictory idea since it was introduced in Phantom Menace and they said freaking baby Anakin was too old. Whether it's an intentionally dumb idea that the Jedi held to or is just a dumb story idea from conception is harder to discern.

Isn't this rule more to aid in making sure trainees don't question their superiors? Get 'em while they're young so it's all they know. Akin to being raised with religion.

As was said earlier, being a Jedi and being able to use the Force are not the same thing.

fallout

I always assumed the concerns over the lateness of development risked having them turn over to the dark side and had little to do with amassing skill.

am i the only one who never saw the big deal about midichlorians

they are just a scientific way of identifying force sensitives--their existence doesn't do anything to really demystify the force in any way imo

It's been a dumb, contradictory idea since it was introduced in Phantom Menace and they said freaking baby Anakin was too old. Whether it's an intentionally dumb idea that the Jedi held to or is just a dumb story idea from conception is harder to discern.

This idea was introduced since ESB, when yoda said luke was too old for training

He looked pretty disturbed/confused when Rey ran up on him.

Look definitely looked somewhat disturbed during the final reveal. It may simply have been bad acting, but I doubt it.

It wasn't what I was expecting - "wise, in command Jedi master" was what I had hoped for - but I'm curious to see where they go with it.

The Chef

Look definitely looked somewhat disturbed during the final reveal. It may simply have been bad acting, but I doubt it.

It wasn't what I was expecting - "wise, in command Jedi master" was what I had hoped for - but I'm curious to see where they go with it.

The look was one of "I hate that it has come to this" kinda thing.

This idea was introduced since ESB, when yoda said luke was too old for training

Which makes sense since Luke is of adult age (?). But that doesn't mean you need to be 5 to learn the force. George fucked up.

The only explanation out of it is that Jedi's need to learn a lot of thinks besides just using the force, like science, politics, history, math, religion, personal conduct, etc. Learning to use the force is a tiny part of being a Jedi.

zethren

Banned
You don't have to have training to use the force. Anakin Skywalker is talked about because he's the only human who can podrace, because of the force, and he's nine at the time.

All you have to do is let it in.

Absolutely.
People need to pay attention to what the Force actually is and how it works within this universe. It's not a level up RPG.

This is how it goes in the script:

IT IS LUKE SKYWALKER.

Older now, white hair, bearded. He looks at Rey. A kindness in his eyes, but there's something tortured, too. He doesn't need to ask her who she is, or what she is doing here. His look says it all.

In response, Rey pulls something from the pack.

LUKE'S LIGHTSABER.

And she holds it out to him. An offer. A plea. The galaxy's only hope.

HOLD ON LUKE SKYWALKER'S INCREDIBLE FACE, amazed and conflicted at what he sees, as our MUSIC BUILDS, the promise of an adventure, just beginning...

It's a dumb idea the Jedi held onto.

Like no attachments, like no compassion, basically all of the dumb tenants the Jedi Order held to pre-Empire were shown to convey to the viewer that the Order being so rigid and dogmatic led to their demise. They were so far up their own asses and devoted to a completely arbitrary and nonsensical Code that they couldn't even see the creep manufacturing their demise under their own noses.

The Jedi being who they are in the prequels is neither unintentional nor is it bad storytelling on the part of Lucas. Nor is it unintentional that of the 3 Jedi we see in the Original Trilogy (Ben, Luke, Yoda), the one who held attachments (choosing to save Han rather than complete his training, attempting to redeem his father) and compassion, basically rejecting all of the bullshit from the old Order was the one to survive.

Sephzilla

Which makes sense since Luke is of adult age (?). But that doesn't mean you need to be 5 to learn the force. George fucked up.

The only explanation out of it is that Jedi's need to learn a lot of thinks besides just using the force, like science, politics, history, math, religion, personal conduct, etc. Learning to use the force is a tiny part of being a Jedi.

I'm fairly certain that Anakin initially being denied training was Lucas trying to make some kind of parallel to Luke being denied training as well, because Lucas ran out of original ideas about 30 years ago

The look was one of "I hate that it has come to this" kinda thing.

Theres a lot going on in Hamil's eyes in that scene. I felt a lot going on in him. I think it was a lot of fear. Fear that he is faced with the prospect of training another student who goes evil. But also stuff we dont know about yet.

They just want to get them before they've formed attachments, as they feel those are paths to the dark side. Vader fell because of attachments first to his mother and then Padme. Vader and Palpatine played on Luke's attachment to his friends and, specifically, Leia.

zethren

Banned
Theres a lot going on in Hamil's eyes in that scene. I felt a lot going on in him. I think it was a lot of fear. Fear that he is faced with the prospect of training another student who goes evil. But also stuff we dont know about yet.

Agreed, on top of him seeing his father's lightsaber again. That probably made him quite emotional as well.

Boke1879

The only reason the Jedi want to get to them when they are younger is so they themselves can mold them. Get them before they form attachments and teach them THEIR view of the force. While it's ultimately good for people like Anakin and even Luke it fails.

I always assumed the concerns over the lateness of development risked having them turn over to the dark side and had little to do with amassing skill.
Yeah. It had to do with attachments to loved ones. They were afraid if they train someone too old who has a mother then the fear of loss might lead one to dark side. It is pretty silly, but I think Luke is somehow a representation of how the Jedi have been wrong all along, and one shouldn't deny his emotions. I think...

Damn. Beaten.

evil ways

I just hope Luke gets to fly his Red 5 X-Wing, helmet and all, one last time, maybe even sacrifice himself during a big space battle.

It is pretty silly, but I think Luke is somehow a representation of how the Jedi have been wrong all along, and one shouldn't deny his emotions. I think...

Luke's victory in ROTJ is straight-up achieved by him casting aside his own personal agenda to accept whatever fate has in store, either the Emperor killing him or his father deciding to save him. Literally right before making that choice he was almost pushed over the edge because his daddy threatened to go after his sister, the same dilemma Anakin faced in ROTS with the same stakes.

Luke is more of a manifestation of the kind of love Jedi are supposed to show according to the prequels, which is unconditional love and self-sacrifice rather than possessiveness and attachment.

Sephzilla

@ everyone who wants Luke to die by the end of the trilogy

379ch.gif

We've already seen the obligatory death/sacrifice.

You know the only part of Rey's power I'm not a fan of us her knowing how to Jedi mind trick. Unless it was a story she heard of Jedi doing... I think it's kinda dumb she knew it was possible. Same with the force pull to a lesser extent.

Think they should have made her discovering her powers hinted at and more gradual.

She was familiar with the myths of the Jedi, plus in the OT the Jedi Mind Trick was known by enough people that even Jabba the Hutt knew about it. I think it's entirely plausible that Rey heard about the Jedi ability to control the weak minded.

Tawpgun

You know the only part of Rey's power I'm not a fan of us her knowing how to Jedi mind trick. Unless it was a story she heard of Jedi doing... I think it's kinda dumb she knew it was possible. Same with the force pull to a lesser extent.

Think they should have made her discovering her powers hinted at and more gradual.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This is what I wish for

Kylo kills Snoke in VIII (unlimited power)
Order of Ren kills Leia in VIII.
Luke gets killed by Kylo in IX.

I don't want Kylo turning over and would rather see him get beaten by Rey in IX.

Top Bottom