• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

GhaleonEB

Definitely does.

It just bothered me in the PT more because I figured that many years later they'd be able to accomplish it easier. I remember before the prequels came out thinking "finally, now that special effects and technology have come so far, the lightsabers will actually cast light."
And then they still didnt except for on CG characters and the odd closeup.

Ive been waiting for this day a long time.

Aye. It was a particularly smart decision given the nighttime setting, with trees all around for the light to play off. And the climax used a lot of close in shots of Rey and Kylo that would not have worked nearly as effectively without practical lighting. The whole production and it's emphasis on practical effects and sets is such contrast to the PT, it really shows throughout the film.

Sharpeye

Technically, it's all non-canon. Well, they put Korriban in the Clone Wars and just said its name had changed over thousands of years. Maybe they can do the same for Rakata Prime.

The Selkath and their planet are Canon, there was a Selkath bounty hunter in The Clone Wars and Dooku mentions how they used to be neutral. Besides that I can't think of anything else that is still canon from KOTOR.

prag16

Banned
Yeah it seemed deliberately plotted that way by Lucas, but I've argued this before. I think there's a lot to the prequel story and I quite dig how it subverted my expectations personally. They have problems but I don't think the story is one of them. My chief complaints are in some of the dialogue and performances.

I agree completely, and this is why I can't bring myself to dislike the prequels nearly as much as most "real" Star Wars fans.

I think it really is a damn good story in the broad strokes. Yes, there was probably too much focus on the political shit in I and II. Yes, there was some terrible dialog and subpar acting. But IN PRINCIPLE, Palpatine's arc and Vader's arc (and their intersection) were great.

The execution fell short in various areas, and some of the details like dialogue and certain performances (McDiarmid and McGregor were great... the rest ranged from mixed bag to terrible) as mentioned, plus some questionable aesthetic choices and some questionable CGI, and of course the execution of the 3rd act of RotS... definitely didn't give all that enough room to breathe. Jarring was the transition from trying to put Palpatine on trial to slaughtering children literally 10 minutes later on in the film, if that.

But the story arc itself was good and I can at least appreciate what Lucas was doing even if he stumbled badly along the way at various points. At the minimum he definitely didn't play it safe, with almost any of it, which is more than can be said about TFA (though I still love the new movie and I understand some of the reasons why it had to be that way).

I haven't taken any of the prequels out of the rotation. I've watched each OT movie at least 30-40 times easily. The prequels, I've watched at least a dozen times each and I'm unashamed. (TFA count stands at ONE. That should increase to TWO on Saturday hopefully.)

10731475_1496507500655705_1651868302_n.jpg

Meowster

The Selkath and their planet are Canon, there was a Selkath bounty hunter in The Clone Wars and Dooku mentions how they used to be neutral. Besides that I can't think of anything else that is still canon from KOTOR.
Of course they make the most hated aspects of the original KOTOR canon lol.

Gurrry

I strongly disagree that death is a necessity. I'd argue that the threat of death is better than death itself in terms of creating tension and drama in a movie.

yeah but if no one ever dies then the threat of death isnt really a threat at all

thats why i like game of thrones. no one is safe. any time there is a threat of death, i take it seriously because they have shown they have no qualms about killing off some of their more beloved characters.

Ashhong

I'm excited, my workplace (airplane media company) is going to get this movie in a couple weeks so I can watch it in HD every day and watch for new details that I missed in theater. Time to nitpick with the rest of you!

Gurrry

Some stuff about Snook fron Serkis

New canon character. His face couldn't be done with prosthetics.

He still looks crap though. Hope he is good in the sequel.

The scale of him, for instance, is one reason. He is large. He appears tall. And also just the facial design — you couldn’t have gotten there with prosthetics. It’s too extreme. Without giving too much away at this point, he has a very distinctive, idiosyncratic bone structure and facial structure. You could never have done it [in real life.]

Ehhh..

I dont like the sound of this.

Hopefully they change their mind after they see how off putting he is. Him and the little alien that has Luke's saber are basically my only complaints about the film. And its not a coincidence that both of my complaints are about both of the CGI characters.

Honestly, they look like garbage. And they will only look worse and worse over time. Just like Gollum. When that movie first came out, everyone shat bricks over how real he looked. Now you go back and watch it, and its laughable to think that we accepted it.

Please, for the love of god, keep the CGI characters out of the future movies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Yeah ok, just change the stupid design then. Always an excuse to justify it to be 3D.

Plus, they can always CG the mouth or whatever if necessary in some shots. If they go the CG route in VIII and IX he'll still look like a Roger Rabbit character. Also the height excuse is dumb. 7' is doable. The engineer in Prometheus was a guy in a suit/makeup and it looked great, much better than this CG Snookie.

Or just start off episode eight with this in the beginning crawl :

"Snook has been killed and the First Order is looking for a new leader"

He died on his way to his home planet yeah.
Or at least just tell Serkis "you just voice him now, or else we find someone else to do the voice, no longer fully CG". There is absolutely nothing that would prevented them from going non-CG in VIII, he was just an hologram and didn't move anything except his head. It would be fine.

Gurrry

Yeah ok, just change the stupid design then. Always an excuse to justify it to be 3D.

Plus, they can always CG the mouth or whatever if necessary in some shots. If they go the CG route in VIII and IX he'll still look like a Roger Rabbit character.

Or just start off episode eight with this in the beginning crawl :

"Snook has been killed and the First Order is looking for a new leader"

MechaX

I just watched the Screen Junkies spoiler discussion where Landis wanted Mara Jade, Thrawn, and Dash Rendar to be possible candidates folded in from the EU in that order.

Fuck it, fuck Snook/Snoke/whatever the fuck that dude is; have the final enemy be Kreia.

Savitar

When watching the film all I could think was how he reminded me of Vader's pale scarred head.

If he isn't human that's definitely a bit odd since the Empire was never exactly pro alien, even the FO feels like it's still playing by their game book.

witness

I also agree that Luke and Leia will die/disappear after this trilogy. The actors are too old to keep up with the series. If Rey is Luke's daughter I bet on Luke's death in Episode VIII, if not (which I hope) he will probably be killed in Episode IX by Kylo.

I'm expecting him to die defeating Snoke in IX.

Oidisco

I just watched the Screen Junkies spoiler discussion where Landis wanted Mara Jade, Thrawn, and Dash Rendar to be possible candidates folded in from the EU in that order.

Fuck it, fuck Snook/Snoke/whatever the fuck that dude is; have the final enemy be Kreia.

I wouldn't want it to be Kreia simply because they'll probably fuck up her character.

Though if they found someway to throw in a reference to her or Revan and make the games canon, I'd be very happy!

MisterHero

Dash is canon, the Outrider was in ANH

believe

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just like Gollum. When that movie first came out, everyone shat bricks over how real he looked. Now you go back and watch it, and its laughable to think that we accepted it.
Whoa. Is this a common sentiment? I've watched all of the LOTR movies again within the last 2 years and found Gollum to be completely acceptable and even outstanding in some scenes. You can detect some ways that the tech has obviously improved that aren't applied, but the facial expressions, body animation and overall creature design for him are top-notch work that definitely holds up in the same way the best of Jurassic Park still does.

On repeat viewings I don't really have any issue with Maz. The texture work on her skin when she takes her goggles off is pretty impressive. Snoke looked awful, markedly worse than Gollum even in Fellowship IMO. I'm still reserving judgment for the time being as we have only seen him as a hologram.

Savitar

We saw Snokes hologram. He isn't suppose to look his best, look at the holograms in past movies, if anything it's an improvement of the hologram capabilities in the movie universe. No flickering for one.

They got time to make him look better when he shows up in person.

watershed

Banned
If Leia dies I think it will be in some kind of major attack on her ship or something. I think it will be an against the clock type scene where people are rushing to save her but fail kind of like in The Dark Knight when Batman and Gordon are trying to save Rachel and Harvey Dent. Something where there's a pulse, not a quiet emotional death like Han.

I think it would have been a better call to not show Snoke so clearly yet. Keep him mostly in shadow even in the hologram. Basically don't give us a clear look at him until we get a reveal that shows exactly why he's CG because I'm not buying he needs to be yet and it's one of my biggest complaints about the movie.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think it would have been a better call to not show Snoke so clearly yet. Keep him mostly in shadow even in the hologram. Basically don't give us a clear look at him until we get a reveal that shows exactly why he's CG because I'm not buying he needs to be yet and it's one of my biggest complaints about the movie.

Well, if the rumors of his 7ft height are true, that alone might be why he's CGI. They might not want to do perspective trickery for him.

Whoa. Is this a common sentiment? I've watched all of the LOTR movies again within the last 2 years and found Gollum to be completely acceptable and even outstanding in some scenes. You can detect some ways that the tech has obviously improved that aren't applied, but the facial expressions, body animation and overall creature design for him are top-notch work that definitely holds up in the same way the best of Jurassic Park still does.

This is GAF. Among things found here, I'm not sure common sentiment regarding CG is one of them.

Well, if the rumors of his 7ft height are true, that alone might be why he's CGI. They might not want to do perspective trickery for him.

That's kind of what I'm saying though. They shouldn't have shown him so clear yet until we can see that in the movie. Especially since there was no real story reason to show so much of him yet.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Gollum still looks absolutely fantastic to me. Some of the seams in reality are visible, but the character is so expressive and well acted that it really doesn't matter.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
If Leia dies I think it will be in some kind of major attack on her ship or something. I think it will be an against the clock type scene where people are rushing to save her but fail kind of like in The Dark Knight when Batman and Gordon are trying to save Rachel and Harvey Dent. Something where there's a pulse, not a quiet emotional death like Han.

One thing I thought up (that I'm totally borrowing from a Gundam series) is perhaps Kylo gets mortally wounded and is stuck on a crashing Star Destroyer. In that way, Leia decides to go down with him by his side.

sphagnum

Banned
I get the feeling they originally wanted some radically different design for Snoke (some of the concept art showed a snake in a kimono) but by the time they figured out a finalized look it was too late for reshoots. Wasn't Maz only finalized in September or October or something?

Aselith

I was thinking about Captain Phasma and I was thinking that with Starkiller being blown up and her humiliating personal defeat that she could be coming back in 8 but not actually as "Captain Phasma" per se. So maybe she comes back in 8 as a bounty hunter or Resistance infiltrator on a personal quest to avenge her honor against Finn and co.

Her one real characteristic in the movies is the shiny armor which seems to me to indicate that she puts a lot of stock in personal appearance so I could see her deserting instead of going back to rejoin the army to avoid being shamed. And it's easy to be presumed dead when you're on a planet that blew up.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I was thinking about Captain Phasma and I was thinking that with Starkiller being blown up and her humiliating personal defeat that she could be coming back in 8 but not actually as "Captain Phasma" per se. So maybe she comes back in 8 as a bounty hunter on a personal quest to avenge her honor against Finn and co.

Her one real characteristic in the movies is the shiny armor which seems to me to indicate that she puts a lot of stock in personal appearance so I could see her deserting instead of going back to rejoin the army to avoid being shamed. And it's easy to be presumed dead when you're on a planet that blew up.

I wouldn't mind that. Have her as the foil to Finn, while Ren is the foil to Rey.

Top Bottom