• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #3) - That's Not How the Force Works

watershed

Banned
One thing I thought up (that I'm totally borrowing from a Gundam series) is perhaps Kylo gets mortally wounded and is stuck on a crashing Star Destroyer. In that way, Leia decides to go down with him by his side.

That would be a bit odd. I think the son will outlive both parents, even though I also imagine him dying by the end of Ep 9.

televator

I hope there aren't moments in the following films where they obviously gimp force use. In previous movies and in TCW. I hate it when the most powerful of force users just forget they can use the force to solve a problem. Bad guy running away on foot? I'm gonna run after him like I forgot I can grab people with the force. Mad scientist tosses a virus container? Imma try and barely catch it by hand while he gets away because I plum forgot I can simply force pull objects toward me. Someone is hiding in a dark cavern... I'll just fumble around like an idiot because it's not like I can use the force to sense where they are.

Meanwhile Dooku gets the drop on 2 armed opponents. He simultaneously lifts one while force choking him and makes him draw his blaster to fire it at the second guy. Yoda also fucking embarrasses Asajj Ventress by turning off both her sabers and pulling them from her hands with only the force. She has no hope of fighting Yoda but she can take on both Anakin and Obi Wan at the same time like it ain't no thing...

This is the kind of stuff that really takes me out of Star Wars and I'm crossing my fingers that it's kept to a minimum in the new trilogy.

sphagnum

Banned
Kylo views Vader saving Luke as a moment of weakness. He's probably not interested in what Anakin ha to say.

As for how Anakin was able to become a ghost, Dave Filoni said that George told him the answer but he (Filoni) has chosen not to tell people. He hinted though that it may be related to his experience on Mortis, plus he's the Chosen One.

As for how Anakin was able to become a ghost, Dave Filoni said that George told him the answer but he (Filoni) has chosen not to tell people. He hinted though that it may be related to his experience on Mortis, plus he's the Chosen One.

I guess I can buy that. After watching The Clone Wars show, this has bothered me.

Savitar

I'm curious to see if we get a conflicted Force ghost. One of the concepts for Vader had been a ghost that was still torn by the dark side and the light. He was shown as being half human and half vaderish. It was pretty cool. I could see that working for Kylo since he is so torn by the two.

I thought he did that better than the PT tried it.

Finally saw it, was very okay with everything.

I had no idea how much nostalgia I had for this series until Admiral Ackbar showed up, and I was like "Man, I had no idea that I wanted to see Admiral Ackbar again, but it turns out I really did."

Fin definitely has a more developed personality than Rey, but I imagine that her time with Luke will flesh out her character a bit more. Really hoping that he's as much of a master troll as Yoda was and Abrams provides her character with some humorous levity.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'd rather see it just be that Snoke is messing with his head. Given how terrible Anakin's turn to the Dark Side was, I don't want to see his force ghost conflicted.

I'd rather see it just be that Snoke is messing with his head. Given how terrible Anakin's turn to the Dark Side was, I don't want to see his force ghost conflicted.

Oh, it's definitely Snoke, if Ren thinks he's having interactions with Vader.

"That was Snoke the whole time?"
"Did you not see him using hand puppets? His lips were moving, for Pete's sake."
"I thought that was the Force. Vader using him."

Snake

So was it implied that kylo was talking to the ghost of anakin?

No.

But from his dialogue it sounds like he felt something when he acquired Vader's helmet and remains. Perhaps similar to the vision that Rey had when she touched Luke's lightsaber for the first time.

I'm curious to see if we get a conflicted Force ghost. One of the concepts for Vader had been a ghost that was still torn by the dark side and the light. He was shown as being half human and half vaderish. It was pretty cool. I could see that working for Kylo since he is so torn by the two.

I thought he did that better than the PT tried it.

I don't really like that idea because Anakin died unconflicted. He was happy that he was able to see the light in his final moments, that Luke was right, and he even wanted to take his mask off. I don't think it works that his ghost would come back and be all over the place when he didn't die on grey area terms.

Whoa. Is this a common sentiment? I've watched all of the LOTR movies again within the last 2 years and found Gollum to be completely acceptable and even outstanding in some scenes. You can detect some ways that the tech has obviously improved that aren't applied, but the facial expressions, body animation and overall creature design for him are top-notch work that definitely holds up in the same way the best of Jurassic Park still does.

Gollum looked great, but the CGI Legolas that pops in and out during some of the action scenes is pretty terrible.

sphagnum

Banned
I don't think Anakin died conflicted. He purged Vader and died as himself. If he reappears and has the half Ani/half Vader thing going on, I think it would be better if they went less literal, more mystical with it - Anakin as a warning from the Force to Rey about what she could become or what Kylo is becoming. A harbinger sent by the Living Force. An embodiment of true balance, the real and natural dark side without abuse of it, but who shows how easily the balance can be tipped.

Basically some kind of space Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come. He has to atone for his sins by being the Force's messenger. You can set up a very interesting Dagobah cave-esque sequence this way.

Brakke

Banned
Well, Anakin was hanging out with all the other ghosts at the end in Return of the Jedi. Unless you mean he had a change of heart after that bonfire.

I mean if ghost Anakin was talking to Kylo then why isn't he telling Kylo to cut that shit out and grow up?

JayTapp

That's kind of what I'm saying though. They shouldn't have shown him so clear yet until we can see that in the movie. Especially since there was no real story reason to show so much of him yet.

Yep, when the CG character is acted adn mocaped at the same time as the real actor, it comes out fine. Because you believe the interaction they are having.

Unlike anakin and grievous or Doku vs Yoda....euuuurrrgghhh

Not

Banned
Just read Before The Awakening by Greg Rucka. Pretty neat how they fleshed out
the First Order's relationship with the Resistance
and
Rey's mechanical and piloting skills.
Wish we had seen
more evidence of Finn's humor, though.

so i just saw episode 7

holy SHIT it was bad

i was expecting it to be at least decent through most of it but really it was all obligatory callbacks

heres an R2D2 imitation, heres the vader imitation, heres the deathstar imitation, heres C3PO remember him? if not he'll go ahead and say his own name FOR you

lets not forget to replay the old wise sounding star wars tune so you know what movie youre watching

this movie is like a terribly written fanfiction by like an 8 year old

nothing ever feels earned in this and everything is one dimentional

any of the prequels shuts this shit down by light years

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
so i just saw episode 7

holy SHIT it was bad

i was expecting it to be at least decent through most of it but really it was all obligatory callbacks

heres an R2D2 imitation, heres the vader imitation, heres the deathstar imitation, heres C3PO remember him? if not he'll go ahead and say his own name FOR you

lets not forget to replay the old wise sounding star wars tune so you know what movie youre watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

So, any opinion on the actual new stuff?

EDIT: Also

motifs are apparently a bad thing

so i just saw episode 7

holy SHIT it was bad

This guy almost had me.

This is probably the best star wars ever made. Nice try though

so i just saw episode 7

holy SHIT it was bad

Was waiting for that last line. Well done leaving me in suspense until the very end. Missed opportunity to point out how slow and boring the Saber fight was though.

Not

Banned
so i just saw episode 7

holy SHIT it was bad

well memed

Aselith

so i just saw episode 7

holy SHIT it was bad

How do you feel about Rey tho

im kind of glad this movie exists now, actually

its the amazing spiderman for the star wars name

the amazing spiderman made us realize how awesome spiderman 3 actually is

now star wars 7 will serve to make us realize how awesome the prequels actually are

tonight im going to dream about jar jar taking a huge dump on JJ's forehead

what a hack

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
im kind of glad this movie exists now, actually

its the amazing spiderman for the star wars name

the amazing spiderman made us realize how awesome spiderman 3 actually is

now star wars 7 will serve to make us realize how awesome the prequels actually are

tonight im going to dream about jar jar taking a huge dump on JJ's forehead

what a hack

You're trying too hard now, man.

so i just saw episode 7

holy SHIT it was bad

Ohhhh boy more ridiculous hyperbole.

And if this is satire bravo cause it sounds like 6 or 7 people who've drove by these discussions

Astral Dog

CX6m2grUkAAjWVt

Awww.
I didnt like that orange alien though, its like she was trying too hard

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
The more i think about new movie the more i have problems with it. Small problems, and the movie is still great, but problems none the less.

And so my friend saw the movie last night, and whenever i talked about any of the issues i had. I was the crazy one. To this person, the movie was 100% perfect.

I'm at a crossroads. Our friendship is in jeopardy. And I'm half joking when i say that.

Astral Dog

The more i think about new movie the more i have problems with it. Small problems, and the movie is still great, but problems none the less.

And so my friend saw the movie last night, and whenever i talked about any of the issues i had. I was the crazy one. To this person, the movie was 100% perfect.

I'm at a crossroads. Our friendship is in jeopardy. And I'm half joking when i say that.

Say that you still love him

Lots of problems, but the good is so good that it makes up for them. I didn't like what JJ did to Trek, but I just shrug it off and don't accept it as cannon. With TFA, either he got better, was working with better people, or his style just works better within the star wars universe... for that, I'm willing to let go the little JJ'isms.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Say that you still love him
I cant love the ignorant.

One of my problems was that kanjiclan scene was a waste of talent. How do you cast the those badass actors and not have them display a little something. Especially when the kanjiclan are fighters.

But...nah Im the crazy one for thinking that.
Lots of problems, but the good is so good that it makes up for them. I didn't like what JJ did to Trek, but I just shrug it off and don't accept it as cannon. With TFA, either he got better, was working with better people, or his style just works better within the star wars universe... for that, I'm willing to let go the little JJ'isms.
I still loved the movie. But to say it was perfect.

Cmon son.

Top Bottom